QB controversy

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

QB controversy

Post by UnBiasFan »

I have no problem with Woolsey. He is going to get better the more he plays and he has the most upside.

Higgins is great to have available to change things up. This idea that he scored Lakalaka's touchdown is a bit of an over-statement.

Unless there was something wrong with Woolsey, I would have wanted to see him return to the field and score two more touchdowns to close things out. Teams that are chasing championships finish this way.

Exiled
Play Maker
Play Maker

Re: QB controversy

Post by Exiled »

Unless Higgins is a 70% completion guy, I'd like to see Graham play. Higgins is better than Woosley, but it was clear last night that he still doesn't have a strong arm.

Don't think it would be wise to stick with Woosley at this point.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

I don't like Woolsey. I don't like Higgins coming in to just hand the ball off. I don't like the way he has no zip on his passes.

But don't worry. The OFFENSIVE QB GURU LEGEND will handle this.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

Woolsey has had three games to produce and he hasn't won me over. Throwing less then 50% against Northern Iowa wasn't what I expected. If he was doing something with his legs I might be willing to keep going with him but he isn't. Our offense is geared to be in a third and short situation where the D has to play you heads up 50/50 that you might pass or run. If you can't complete 65-70% of your passes then your 3rd down conversion rate will not be good. And it isn't. His long ball has always been suspect and after three games it just isn't there at a good percentage rate. You have to complete 3 out of four of those not 1 out of four.

If you can't complete 60% of your passes, if you can't throw accurately on third down. if you can't throw a catchable short pass when you need to and if you can't hit the long pass consistently this offense will not be effective.

Woolsey has managed the game effectively and he hasn't turned the ball over. My cudos to him in those departments. He is growing and learning the game. I also don't see confidence in his eyes. I don't feel the leadership at this stage. I see frustration.

I've seen enough of Woolsey. Stop the run and force Woolsey to throw the ball. He isn't effective on the long passes so keep the LBs in the box to support the run and take away the short inside passes, the screen, the draw and the short passes to the RBs. Bring the safties in to also support the run and take away the 20-30 yard passes over the middle. Make sure the DEs contain Woolsey in the pocket and force him to throw on the run. He rarely gets set to throw the ball. He seems like he is always in a rush to throw and he rifles the short passes when he doesn't need to.

He is only a sophomore so he has time to get better. I don't believe in playing someone because they are younger and can gain experience. We need to play the best person at every position to win every game. You owe that to the rest of the team.

Higgins and Graham deserve a shot. I love Higgins accuracy but he has lacked the long ball consistency in the past. I would D Higgins the same way I'd D Woolsey. The difference is that Higgins is more accurate. I need to see more of Graham. I saw him against a tough USC D and at Oregon State. Two quality teams.

Either Woolsey needs to improve significantly or we need to change things up. I am for changing things up. We need to do what we need to do to win games not give players playing experience.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

The way they used Higgins to handoff the ball at the end the game it would have been better if they used Ewaliko. Their defense was crashing on our running back. I was surprised that he did not keep and run with the ball.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

TheDuke wrote:Woolsey has had three games to produce and he hasn't won me over. Throwing less then 50% against Northern Iowa wasn't what I expected. If he was doing something with his legs I might be willing to keep going with him but he isn't. Our offense is geared to be in a third and short situation where the D has to play you heads up 50/50 that you might pass or run. If you can't complete 65-70% of your passes then your 3rd down conversion rate will not be good. And it isn't. His long ball has always been suspect and after three games it just isn't there at a good percentage rate. You have to complete 3 out of four of those not 1 out of four.

If you can't complete 60% of your passes, if you can't throw accurately on third down. if you can't throw a catchable short pass when you need to and if you can't hit the long pass consistently this offense will not be effective.

Woolsey has managed the game effectively and he hasn't turned the ball over. My cudos to him in those departments. He is growing and learning the game. I also don't see confidence in his eyes. I don't feel the leadership at this stage. I see frustration.

I've seen enough of Woolsey. Stop the run and force Woolsey to throw the ball. He isn't effective on the long passes so keep the LBs in the box to support the run and take away the short inside passes, the screen, the draw and the short passes to the RBs. Bring the safties in to also support the run and take away the 20-30 yard passes over the middle. Make sure the DEs contain Woolsey in the pocket and force him to throw on the run. He rarely gets set to throw the ball. He seems like he is always in a rush to throw and he rifles the short passes when he doesn't need to.

He is only a sophomore so he has time to get better. I don't believe in playing someone because they are younger and can gain experience. We need to play the best person at every position to win every game. You owe that to the rest of the team.

Higgins and Graham deserve a shot. I love Higgins accuracy but he has lacked the long ball consistency in the past. I would D Higgins the same way I'd D Woolsey. The difference is that Higgins is more accurate. I need to see more of Graham. I saw him against a tough USC D and at Oregon State. Two quality teams.

Either Woolsey needs to improve significantly or we need to change things up. I am for changing things up. We need to do what we need to do to win games not give players playing experience.
I like Higgins too but he needs more zip on his throws to the flats. A good cb will time and take one of those floaters to the house. Woolsey seems to be fighting himself. He does not look comfortable and at have that ball stuck to his hand. Higgins quick release with Woolseys zip is what we need.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

amela
High-quality H20 provider

Post by amela »

Higgins has a air of confidence and poise where Woolsey is till looking for it.

Optimus

Post by Optimus »

Want to see Graham in the game.

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

RedZone wrote:
I like Higgins too but he needs more zip on his throws to the flats.
wont happen this season...probably ever. he doesnt have the arm strength.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

Nah Chow just like show the world that Higgins is better at handing the ball off than Mariota and that's why he got to start over him in high school

Optimus

Post by Optimus »

Higgins is making Case for a controversy

caleyear01
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by caleyear01 »

Graham is the better QB

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

UnBiasFan wrote:I have no problem with Woolsey. He is going to get better the more he plays and he has the most upside.

Higgins is great to have available to change things up. This idea that he scored Lakalaka's touchdown is a bit of an over-statement.

Unless there was something wrong with Woolsey, I would have wanted to see him return to the field and score two more touchdowns to close things out. Teams that are chasing championships finish this way.
they both suck.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HawaiianHogster »

They all have their problems. If Graham had more reps he might do better. He looks better in the pocket. Woolsey is too inconsistant. Higgins passes look weak. Woolsey should run more often. If he could read the defense better his legs could carry the team.

Good luck to Chow in finding ways to win. Even if Joey was healthy Chow can't win. chow will never win at Hawaii or any other D1program. His days are numbered.

I bet Hawaii loses to Rice Owls.
“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”

Haynr8dr
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NBA: Boston Celtics
NFL: Oakland RAIDERS!

Post by Haynr8dr »

Sitting here watching Mariota, that's the controversy.

Who dropped the ball on him?

I seen an interview in which he was asked why he didn't play for Hawaii. He answered that nobody asked.