UH vs Northern Iowa Pregame thread

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
BigWave96744

UH vs Northern Iowa Pregame thread

Post by BigWave96744 »

Panther Quick Hits:

• UNI returns 18 starters for the 2014 season, including preseason All-American running back David Johnson.

• Head Coach Mark Farley holds a 67-29 MVFC record and is the league’s all-time coaching wins leader. • UNI finished the 2013 season 7-5 overall.

• UNI has appeared in the FCS playoffs 16 times and has 16 MVFC Championships under their belt.

• The Panthers have 71 wins over top-25 opponents and six 10+ win seasons since 2001.

• UNI is 190-49-1 all-time in the UNI-Dome.

• Finished the year in the top-25 in 10 of the last 13 seasons.

• Has had 35 first-team All-MVFC selections since 2007, the most in the league.

kd_uni
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: UH vs Northern Iowa Pregame thread

Post by kd_uni »

Not that it wasn't assumed, but the wins over top-10 teams are against FCS teams.

I'm working on my sleep schedule, so I can stay up to watch this game (11pm local start)!

Offensively, everyone knows about David Johnson--whether or not that's the plan, the offense runs (and passes) through him. Kollmorgen is a 3 year-starter at QB, and has matured steadily each year. I'm looking for UNI to establish the run. Not speaking hyperbole, when it's all said and done, I look for Iowa's run defense to be one of the best in the Big 10/country, so it's not a surprise UNI had trouble last week. UNI's passing game opens up off the zone-read and play-action passing game, so establishing the run will effectively improve the passing attack.

Defensively, the X man (Xavier Williams) leads the defense, and if he can consistently attract double-teams, the other d-lineman must put more pressure on the QB than against Iowa. Historically, UH has a very strong passing attack, so item #1 for UNI is to make the QB uncomfortable and not allow him to set his feet. Unlike past years, UNI returns almost, if not, its entire secondary, so I'm looking for consistency and maybe an INT or 2 from this unit.

Out of all the question marks going into the Iowa game, I was pleasantly surprised with UNI's new punter/kicker. If this is indeed a close game (as I expect), field position and ability to convert each scoring opportunity into points could determine the outcome.

Like I posted in the other thread, I'm expecting points to be scored, and believe UNI will walk away (hopefully injury-free) with a 31-27 victory.

What does everyone else think?

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

Well, UNI has a WR named Chad Owens.

And David Johnson had 203 receiving yards on 5 catches against Iowa. That was a large part of the QB's passing yardage. Even though Iowa was tough against the run, Johnson still did a lot of damage. Were the receptions from screens, shovel passes, i.e, short passes with YAC? Or long passes?

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Their fans will be able to stream the game for free at the MWC.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

kd_uni wrote: What does everyone else think?
I am not big on disrespecting teams I know nothing about. And I understand the David v. Goliath thing.

But, in this one, I think this is the break out game for Hawaii. Our guys are going to pour it on here. Look out.

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HawaiianHogster »

If Hawaii doesn't come into this game playing with furious abandonment to win this one from the get go then they don't belong to be in division 1 football. They have to bring it and bring it hard and fast. I want the Warriors to have to sit in an anger management class after the game because they will play with much anger on game-day.

Hawaii should look at this game as though they are the underdogs and they are playing Goliath. Losing is Goliath. They have to beat the losing giant that is starring them in the face. Forget the opponent and play within themselves. They are their worst enemy. They beat themselves up. It lives inside them. Get it out! Get it out now! Turn that around and do that to your opponents and the beast will be beaten down forever.

Stop beating yourselves up Hawaii. Take back control. Overcome your inner self. Just do it! Win!
“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”

SectionACrazy
Starter
Starter
MLB: The Redinals and CardiSox
NBA: Boston Celtics since 70s
NFL: SF 49ers

Post by SectionACrazy »

BigWave96744 wrote:Panther Quick Hits:

• UNI returns 18 starters for the 2014 season, including preseason All-American running back David Johnson.

• Head Coach Mark Farley holds a 67-29 MVFC record and is the league’s all-time coaching wins leader. • UNI finished the 2013 season 7-5 overall.

• UNI has appeared in the FCS playoffs 16 times and has 16 MVFC Championships under their belt.

• The Panthers have 71 wins over top-25 opponents and six 10+ win seasons since 2001.

• UNI is 190-49-1 all-time in the UNI-Dome.

• Finished the year in the top-25 in 10 of the last 13 seasons.

• Has had 35 first-team All-MVFC selections since 2007, the most in the league.

Just wondering if this is forgotten but the UNI-Dome was built through the help of the late Stan Sheriff. If I'm not mistaken, Sheriff is the winningest coach in UNI history, and served as athletic director there before coming back home (born in Hawaii, left with family when he was ten) to take over the AD position and build the then Special Events Arena, which is modeled after the UNI-Dome, and of course now known as the Stan Sheriff Center.

BeeKoji
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by BeeKoji »

Duster wrote:Well, UNI has a WR named Chad Owens.

And David Johnson had 203 receiving yards on 5 catches against Iowa. That was a large part of the QB's passing yardage. Even though Iowa was tough against the run, Johnson still did a lot of damage. Were the receptions from screens, shovel passes, i.e, short passes with YAC? Or long passes?
They were mainly on routes where he ran up the middle and had a complete mismatch against a linebacker. He is too fast to be covered by linebackers in the open field.

kd_uni
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by kd_uni »

SectionA--Yes, you are right. It'd be a nice gesture if there's was some recognition for Mr. Sheriff.

Duster-- He's really an all-around back. He's 6-2, 230lbs, but can outrun LBs and safeties (see Iowa game). Most of his damage is done with swing passes and choice routes against LBs/Nickel DBs. He does line up in the slot during some formations also. Iowa played a lot of Man, forcing their LBs to defend Johnson 1-on-1.

The difference in that game was in the 4th when Iowa was able to pressure Kollmorgen with only rushing 3 or 4 guys. That's why I mentioned in the other thread about fatigue being an issue.

nostra_808
Starter
Starter

Post by nostra_808 »

BeeKoji wrote:

They were mainly on routes where he ran up the middle and had a complete mismatch against a linebacker. He is too fast to be covered by linebackers in the open field.
just saw the highlight of the IOWA game and his 70 yarder he basically just out ran everyone......kid looks legit, but i think we can contain him.....just gotta play smart ball, like NC is preaching.....so this year he just did damage against IOWA and i just watched his JR highlights and it looks like he killed IOWA STATE by himself.....he is definitely gonna be the focal point in our defensive game plan......going to the next level, probably the NFL, i wouldn't be surprised if he is moved to WR......

watch his JR highlights, its pretty entertaining lol during one game he ran straight at someone and took a few stutter steps and the guy was on the ground and he ran past him (2:44 mark)......lol

Link

BeeKoji
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by BeeKoji »

nostra_808 wrote:
BeeKoji wrote:

just saw the highlight of the IOWA game and his 70 yarder he basically just out ran everyone......kid looks legit, but i think we can contain him.....just gotta play smart ball, like NC is preaching.....so this year he just did damage against IOWA and i just watched his JR highlights and it looks like he killed IOWA STATE by himself.....he is definitely gonna be the focal point in our defensive game plan......going to the next level, probably the NFL, i wouldn't be surprised if he is moved to WR......

watch his JR highlights, its pretty entertaining lol during one game he ran straight at someone and took a few stutter steps and the guy was on the ground and he ran past him (2:44 mark)......lol

Link
I had heard he was the #12 ranked RB in the preseason by McShay or Kiper. Against Iowa State he had 199 yards rushing and accounted for two rushing TDs and two receiving TDs. I see him on campus a lot, big dude listed at 6'3" and 225 lbs. But he is only one man and UH should force the UNI passing game to beat them and try and take Johnson out of the equation as best they can.

I've been wearing my Warrior gear all week, getting plenty of weird looks. Go Bows

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Our advantage will be in the trenches. We got to control the line of scrimmage. FCS when it comes to a team like this means nothing. They have the experience at quarterback and running back that will test our defense. We need to contain these 2 guys. Can't afford to miss tackles. It is teams that have this kind of experience with a very good coaching staff that worries me the most. The loss of Joey and Williams may cost us if we don't get better on offense.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

Both UNI and UH share a deep rooted history with Stan Sheriff
http://siouxcityjournal.com/sports/foot ... 6f300.html

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

SectionACrazy
Starter
Starter
MLB: The Redinals and CardiSox
NBA: Boston Celtics since 70s
NFL: SF 49ers

Post by SectionACrazy »

madeinhawaii wrote:Both UNI and UH share a deep rooted history with Stan Sheriff
Just had a thought...I wonder if these two teams could play more often for the "Stan Sheriff trophy" or something.

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

SectionACrazy wrote:
madeinhawaii wrote:Both UNI and UH share a deep rooted history with Stan Sheriff
Just had a thought...I wonder if these two teams could play more often for the "Stan Sheriff trophy" or something.
I suppose. because of the division difference, you could extend that to include Women's VB and both Basketball teams, too. One year, WBB, then MBB, the WVB, then football with the "Stan Sheriff" plaque going to the winner of the game played.

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com