Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Re: OMG, June Jones resigns from SMU 9/8/14

Post by Irse »

Sweet Lei Mokihana wrote:
Irse wrote:
Maybe Rolo as OC....but not HC. Yet.
For me, I would prefer someone who is used to dealing with the type of talent we can get instead of one that i used to getting the cream of the crop. Although both sides have their advantages.
That is why I would love to see Dino come in. He's played here so he knows what type of player he would need to play here mentally. AND he hasn't had the luxury of getting the cream of the crop as you described.

But, I still wouldn't mind giving those others a chance either. They could always hire someone who is in the know about recruiting in Hawaii or consult with past coaches etc.

Cannot be closed minded and be biased to local coaches because they know how to recruit here. I'd roll the dice with ANY one on the list before I even begin to write someone like Miano to coach our team. Heck to the no. LOL[/quote]
Part of it is the type of players we can get. The other is all the other BS they have to put up with. The admin, state govt, etc. Stuff that drove JJ away.
ImageImage

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

I can't see why Dino Babers would want to come here. He is in a really good position right now in his new job. He is coaching in D1 with a team that won its conference championship and the coach that left that team went on to Wake Forest and a much bigger paycheck. All Babers has to do is to continue to be successful there and the bigger pay days will come. He doesn't have to rebuild there.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Maybe I missed it. Maybe it's too silly to ask. Have there been any reports of Bob Wagner being "interested" in anything with UH Football?

As an ex-coach, that was "forced" out, I'm sure there is still a part of him that want to prove people wrong.

Prior to JJ, Wagner was the most successful in U.H history, correct? Holiday Bowl was something the program was after.

Without other options, would you like to see Bob Wager back in some capacity? DC?

oldhawaiiguy
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by oldhawaiiguy »

He's old now and out of the game but he had the right scheme for what a team like UH can do.

That said, you're right he filled stands as well as JJ and had greater success. Like you indicated he was screwed by the incompetent bureaucrat Yoshida.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

cabanalane wrote:Maybe I missed it. Maybe it's too silly to ask. Have there been any reports of Bob Wagner being "interested" in anything with UH Football?

As an ex-coach, that was "forced" out, I'm sure there is still a part of him that want to prove people wrong.

Prior to JJ, Wagner was the most successful in U.H history, correct? Holiday Bowl was something the program was after.

Without other options, would you like to see Bob Wager back in some capacity? DC?
Dick Tomey was the most successful coach for Hawaii other than June Jones. He didn't do too badly at Arizona or San Jose State either. Greg McMackin was another outstanding one. However, the days for those guys are done. The only question on my mind is whether or not Norm Chow will have a worse record than Von Appen in the end.

ttmf
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by ttmf »

Doesn't matter who the coach is. Being in Hawaii just has to many obstacles and challenges that makes it difficult to succeed and easy to fail. Location, recruiting, funding, politics, etc ....and that's just being here in Hawaii..then you have find quality competition, let alone basic competition that are willing to travel here to play. It's getting more difficult because of cost being the main reason, then distance being the other. Uh takes the biggest hit of the deal everytime because they pretty much have no choice....just like what uh had to do agree to to get into the mwc.
IMHO, most of the problems, if not all of them in UH comes from its leadership...the board of regents. The BoR won't take any accountability but will quickly throw anyone under the bus to save their own a$$€$
IT'S JUST A GAME!

season ticket holder
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by season ticket holder »

Well said.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

cabanalane wrote:Maybe I missed it. Maybe it's too silly to ask. Have there been any reports of Bob Wagner being "interested" in anything with UH Football?

I like our current DC.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

amela
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by amela »

They let Jesus out of heaven! OMG

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

A lot of truth of why June succeeded at Hawaii but not at SMU
http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/june-jones ... d=25404629

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

BigWave96744 wrote:A lot of truth of why June succeeded at Hawaii but not at SMU
With the talent in Texas, it seems odd that he couldn't get a top notch QB.
ImageImage

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

Irse wrote:
BigWave96744 wrote:A lot of truth of why June succeeded at Hawaii but not at SMU
With the talent in Texas, it seems odd that he couldn't get a top notch QB.
I think he just couldn't let go of his existing coaching staff.. It seems he didn't have enough people on his staff that were connected to the local community.

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

Birdman316
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Birdman316 »

Dino Babers FTW. That is if we can pay him more than Bowling Green is paying him now.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Interesting, SMU is bringing back a former coach to be an "offensive consultant"

Like local fallback players who wish to transfer back home as a walkon, I say if June wishes to come back as a consultant, I say come back for free. You made your Millions in the last 6 years.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.co ... sive-woes/

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

BigWave96744 wrote: Like local fallback players who wish to transfer back home as a walkon, I say if June wishes to come back as a consultant, I say come back for free. You made your Millions in the last 6 years.
Sure, if UH hires a rookie coach. Jones would be a good consultant. Jones offers nothing to Chow currently. Chow knows exactly what he is doing. It's just not working.