http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.co ... arting-qb/

WA Warrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Re: OMG, June Jones resigns from SMU 9/8/14

Post by WA Warrior »

RedZone wrote:
Irse wrote:
Sweet Lei Mokihana wrote:Man, with some of the suggestions for coaches to replace Chow (even though we are in the 2nd game) such as Miano, Rolo, JJ....I'm GLAD these guys aren't on the hiring panel.
Who would your choice be?
If it comes to change I wouldn't having Beau Baldwin.
Being an alum of EWU, I'm surprised he wasn't picked up years ago. But if Hawai'i can pick him up... GREAT!

Mahalos [*]Red Gun[/color] for the update!!!

Sweet Lei Mokihana
High-quality H20 provider
MLB: Los Angelas Dodgers
NBA: AnybodybutLakers&Heat
NFL: Cardinals and Seahawks

Post by Sweet Lei Mokihana »

reignjah11 wrote:
Sweet Lei Mokihana wrote:Man, with some of the suggestions for coaches to replace Chow (even though we are in the 2nd game) such as Miano, Rolo, JJ....I'm GLAD these guys aren't on the hiring panel.
Brah relax, theyre like you said "suggestions." I bet any of those guys couldnt do any more worse than the hiring panel choice in chow... :roll:
Oh, no worry ...BRAH. I'm relaxed. As long as all the JJ supporters don't start snowballing when it's time to succeed coach Chow.

I agree with you about Coach Chow. But I rather have rolled the die w/ him than the popular vote at the time...RM.

Sweet Lei Mokihana

Irse wrote:
I'd like to see a younger, energetic, offensive mind. Particularly one that runs the Spread. And the are a few good ones who will probably be snatched up this off season. We def' need to put okoles in the stands....winning and high scoring offenses do this.

MY choice would be to have Dino Babers. Not sure if he'd think of the Hawaii job as a step up or a place he'd like to take his alma mater back to respectability. But I'd sure try.

Other guys I wouldn't mind coming in are all Off. Coord's who have been doing good and talks around of them being up for HC positions......and run some kind of Spread or Wide Open offenses...in no particular order if preference:

-Mike Yucich.....Oklahoma St.
-Scott Frost.......Oregon
-Jake Spavital...Texas A&M
-Tom Herman....Ohio St.

Maybe Rolo as OC....but not HC. Yet.
Last edited by Sweet Lei Mokihana on Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sweet Lei Mokihana

Someone also mentioned Beau Baldwin. Wouldn't mind seeing him come in too as HC.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

Sweet Lei Mokihana wrote:
Irse wrote:
I'd like to see a younger, energetic, offensive mind. Particularly one that runs the Spread. And the are a few good ones who will probably be snatched up this off season. We def' need to put okoles in the stands....winning and high scoring offenses do this.

MY choice would be to have Dino Babers. Not sure if he'd think of the Hawaii job as a step up or a place he'd like to take his alma mater back to respectability. But I'd sure try.

Other guys I wouldn't mind coming in are all Off. Coord's who have been doing good and talks around of them being up for HC positions......and run some kind of Spread or Wide Open offenses...in no particular order if preference:

-Mike Yucich.....Oklahoma St.
-Scott Frost.......Oregon
-Jake Spavital...Texas A&M
-Tom Herman....Ohio St.

For me, I would prefer someone who is used to dealing with the type of talent we can get instead of one that i used to getting the cream of the crop. Although both sides have their advantages.

One thing I like about Rolo is that he knows what to expect from UH. Like Chow and Jay, the others do not. They were in for a rude awakening.
ImageImage

reignjah11
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
MLB: Boston Red Sox
NBA: Dallas Mavericks
NFL: New England Patriots

Post by reignjah11 »

^yeah I agree! maybe we go after a successful fcs coach. How about the coach at Eastern Washington? Their offense is fun to watch, they like to throw the ball around and has had success against pac 12 defenses. I remember they beat oregon st last year and they lost in a shoot out against Washington this year.

Update: so I looked it up and I see some post already listed his name lol. I didn't know that was the guy but yeah that would be my pick, beau baldwin!

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HawaiianHogster »

Me personally do not want JJ back. He had is chance to stay but he decided to leave. No need coming back. Some of my friends and family on the island does not appreciate what JJ did after the 2007 season. They still have anger in their vanes when JJ name is spoken. Some of them want to punch him in the mouth. LOL. All that talking he did meant nothing once he left.

I want Chow to be successful only because I want the team to win. Other than that I could almost care less who our coach is. Get the team winning again is all I want. Just not with JJ.
“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”

Haynr8dr
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NBA: Boston Celtics
NFL: Oakland RAIDERS!

Post by Haynr8dr »

BigWave96744 wrote:This was probably something that added to JJ's health problems
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.co ... arting-qb/
Almost similar to my OP - the cupboard is bare.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

BigWave96744 wrote:This is interesting.
In 2008, when he resigned from UH, June recommended 5 coaches to succeed him, Duane Akina, Kevin Gilbride, Dick Tomey, Cal Lee, and NORM CHOW.

During Mack's downward spiral of the UH program, word was that June called Mack and said he needs a seasoned OC and Rolo was not the answer. His recommendation, Norm Chow.

Norm and June have mutual respect for each other...
Both would love more than anything to see Hawaii succeed.
Hmmmm.....

Sounds familiar, no????
Can 2 stubborn head coaches coexist on the same staff?
June and Glanville
June and Mouse
June and Mumme
Mack and Tomey
Saban and Kiffin
First, Jones and Norm Chow are good friends who talk or text each other regularly. After Jones stepped down at SMU on Monday, Jones and Chow exchanged several texts. They care about each other — as coaching-fraternity brothers and friends. When Jones was set to leave UH in January 2008, he recommended, among others, Chow as a replacement. Jones is loyal to his friends.
http://hawaiiwarriorworld.com/warrior-b ... /#comments

Sweet Lei Mokihana

Irse wrote:
For me, I would prefer someone who is used to dealing with the type of talent we can get instead of one that i used to getting the cream of the crop. Although both sides have their advantages.[/quote]

That is why I would love to see Dino come in. He's played here so he knows what type of player he would need to play here mentally. AND he hasn't had the luxury of getting the cream of the crop as you described.

But, I still wouldn't mind giving those others a chance either. They could always hire someone who is in the know about recruiting in Hawaii or consult with past coaches etc.

Cannot be closed minded and be biased to local coaches because they know how to recruit here. I'd roll the dice with ANY one on the list before I even begin to write someone like Miano to coach our team. Heck to the no. LOL

Sweet Lei Mokihana

Uh-ohhh.......David Reardon trying to bang the drum for a JJ return with his article in the SA today.

Why would anybody want a dude who quits on his team???!!?

I say he quit TWICE! But I know the JJ mob hangs their coat on "he left because Admin wouldn't get him facility's". Blah, blah, blah...

Ok, I'll give that one a pass. But NOW??!? He didn't have to step down. He could've taken a few weeks off to tend to whatever's and have his Asst. HC run things.

Look, if it turns out the reason was life or death or something really huge then I can see it. Time will tell. But if all of sudden should we be looking for a HC after this season and he puts in for it.....he'd be the biggest douche for diggin' out on SMU.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

Irse wrote:For me, I would prefer someone who is used to dealing with the type of talent we can get instead of one that i used to getting the cream of the crop. Although both sides have their advantages.

One thing I like about Rolo is that he knows what to expect from UH. Like Chow and Jay, the others do not. They were in for a rude awakening.
100% agree with Irse. "Fit" is such a huge part of being a successful head coach here. One thing that bugs the hell out of me is when you suggest a Rolo or Miano and people who are trying to sound smart accuse you of being "small minded". The need for someone who understands the unique challenges here is a real thing. The lack of understanding of the challenges here is precisely why the Norm Chow's and Fred VonAppen's of the world struggle so mightily here. I don't think present-day June Jones is the right guy for the job, but 1999 June Jones was PERFECT for the job. He not only understood the challenges of coaching here - he embraced those challenges (if we can't get the prototype recievers and running backs, let's go for the ones that have talent but might be a little shorter than average and find ways to make them successful, etc).

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

Sweet Lei Mokihana wrote:Cannot be closed minded and be biased to local coaches because they know how to recruit here. I'd roll the dice with ANY one on the list before I even begin to write someone like Miano to coach our team. Heck to the no. LOL
I'm interested to know your list of reasons why Miano is so obviously not a good choice... you seem to feel very strongly about it, so you must have some good reasons?

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

In retrospect, looking at the two most successful coaches in UH Div 1 history ... it is apparent that our next head coach needs to be very well connected. Both Jones and Mack relied on older, but still active gurus. They also had a following of assistant coaches that would go everywhere an anywhere the head coach went. If Mack had also gone to SMU, maybe the SMU numbers would have been a little more favorable for JJ as Mack had a good rep as a recruiter in Texas.

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com