OMG, June Jones resigns from SMU 9/8/14

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Re: OMG, June Jones resigns from SMU 9/8/14

Post by cabanalane »

BigWave96744 wrote: Like local fallback players who wish to transfer back home as a walkon, I say if June wishes to come back as a consultant, I say come back for free. You made your Millions in the last 6 years.
Sure, if UH hires a rookie coach. Jones would be a good consultant. Jones offers nothing to Chow currently. Chow knows exactly what he is doing. It's just not working.

Optimus
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Optimus »

^^^^^^^^
BigWave96744 wrote:Can 2 stubborn head coaches coexist on the same staff?
June and Glanville
June and Mouse
June and Mumme
Mack and Tomey
Saban and Kiffin

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Even if Chow did ok, let's look at the future. If you are a 18 year old high school senior in Hawaii. Chow wants you. Jones wants you. Which coach would you want to play for? I think this local top talent senior would more likely to play for UH if Jones was the coach (based on past history), vs Chow (based on current history).

season ticket holder
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by season ticket holder »

Both those names do nothing for me if I'm a recruit. Even less if I'm on the defensive side of the ball.

Maui Boy in Alaska
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Bears

Post by Maui Boy in Alaska »

June was not a good recruiter, not at Hawaii and not at SMU. Staff, players, and local coaches all say the same things. So many of the best players at UH under June were second chance players, walk ons, or transfers. Now June did have a great eye for talent and could develop players. Chow is the better recruiter, but the question is can he develop players.

The answer seems to be yes. This years team looks better then last year and the year before. But if the wins don' t start coming Chow will be gone

June returning to Hawaii is also not the answer as he will never return a team to the level of the 2006 / 2007. He knew that and knew it was time to leave after to 2007 season.

The answer may be a head coach at Bowling Green. He has a connection to UH as a former player and assistant coach. Proven success at Baylor and Tx AM. An exciting offensive mind who is a player coach that is young and could lead Hawaii for 10 years, if the big boys don't steal him.

NelsonO
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench
NFL: Dallas

Post by NelsonO »

Jones has been spotted on Oahu. Or at least he was seen on Sunday. Don't know if he is still here.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

ttmf wrote:Doesn't matter who the coach is. Being in Hawaii just has to many obstacles and challenges that makes it difficult to succeed and easy to fail. Location, recruiting, funding, politics, etc ....and that's just being here in Hawaii..then you have find quality competition, let alone basic competition that are willing to travel here to play. It's getting more difficult because of cost being the main reason, then distance being the other. Uh takes the biggest hit of the deal everytime because they pretty much have no choice....just like what uh had to do agree to to get into the mwc.
IMHO, most of the problems, if not all of them in UH comes from its leadership...the board of regents. The BoR won't take any accountability but will quickly throw anyone under the bus to save their own a$$€$

You got it. That is why JJ left. Unfulfilled commitments. JJ had his pros and cons. What you did get from JJ was the straight scoop and he said it more then once that he wasn't getting the support that he needed from the State. Fans in Hawaii only want to hear what they want to believe. That's another problem.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

TheDuke wrote:
ttmf wrote:Doesn't matter who the coach is. Being in Hawaii just has to many obstacles and challenges that makes it difficult to succeed and easy to fail. Location, recruiting, funding, politics, etc ....and that's just being here in Hawaii..then you have find quality competition, let alone basic competition that are willing to travel here to play. It's getting more difficult because of cost being the main reason, then distance being the other. Uh takes the biggest hit of the deal everytime because they pretty much have no choice....just like what uh had to do agree to to get into the mwc.
IMHO, most of the problems, if not all of them in UH comes from its leadership...the board of regents. The BoR won't take any accountability but will quickly throw anyone under the bus to save their own a$$€$

You got it. That is why JJ left. Unfulfilled commitments. JJ had his pros and cons. What you did get from JJ was the straight scoop and he said it more then once that he wasn't getting the support that he needed from the State. Fans in Hawaii only want to hear what they want to believe. That's another problem.
+ 1 billion

That's exactly what I keep saying about why JJ left. But almost everyone believes it was about money, even after JJ said that money was not an issue. Or that the cupboard was bare of talent so he left instead of rebuilding, which I believe was BS cause that 2008 team could've been a 10 win team if Graunke hadn't screwed up. I don't believe he would've screwed up if JJ stayed. Or they even joke that he left to be with his child from Lily. And some sick people truly believe that. It was always about the lack of commitment from the state and frankly the disrespect from some fans who could not move on from the "rainbow".

WA Warrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by WA Warrior »

EITSwarrior wrote:
TheDuke wrote:

+ 1 billion

That's exactly what I keep saying about why JJ left. But almost everyone believes it was about money, even after JJ said that money was not an issue. Or that the cupboard was bare of talent so he left instead of rebuilding, which I believe was BS cause that 2008 team could've been a 10 win team if Graunke hadn't screwed up. I don't believe he would've screwed up if JJ stayed. Or they even joke that he left to be with his child from Lily. And some sick people truly believe that. It was always about the lack of commitment from the state and frankly the disrespect from some fans who could not move on from the "rainbow".
Hear, hear! Someone else who saw it for what it really was!

Everyone here knows how Hawai`i is, all talk and zero action. Nothing different when it comes to football too! Don't blame Coach Jones entirely, it had to do with the bumbling moronic management above him and it continues today.

Mahalos [*]Red Gun[/color] for the update!!!