Problems at the Aiea Nakoa parking lot

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
BigWave96744

Problems at the Aiea Nakoa parking lot

Post by BigWave96744 »

Traffic getting in was backing up onto the freeway.
I saw a cop yelling at cars to turn around because they couldn't get cars in fast enough.
After the game was really bad, too.
I parked up the street and witnessed the mayhem when walking to the overpass.
Anyone here experienced this?

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Re: Problems at the Aiea Nakoa parking lot

Post by st808 »

with the kam lot closed the stadium lot filled up quickly. interesting that with 32K tickets distributed the lots filled. wonder how it will be next week for oregon state.

my niece was in line to get in a stadium lot when it closed. after waiting several minutes she realized no one was moving anymore and she pulled out of line and found parking on a side street.

lots of cars attempting to enter gate 2 without a parking pass. seemed like the cops had to instruct each driver, one by one, on how to get to an alternative parking area. that messed up the line trying to get in through gate 2.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Lots of people trying to get into the Nakoa lot were getting into shouting matches with the Cop on duty and volunteer Nakoa traffic directors. This one guy was dropping "F" bombs to the cop :o

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HawaiianHogster »

We went in and went out with no problem. We got there early and didn't leave until traffic went down. They turned the lights off in the parking lot before we left. I did not like it that they blocked off a big section of the lower parking lot. That is why it filled up so quickly. They need to open up more parking some where or fans will stop coming to the games.

You want fans at the game then make it easy for them to park and tailgate. More parking, more fans, more money.
“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Stadium

Post by Grinch »

Parking across the bridge (Aiea side) was horrible. Cops didn't know what to do and one was berating drivers. Someone had the whole off-season to plan - but it didn't happen.
Glad the Warriors played hard and well.
"The rise . . . of the Warriors."

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

The current parking situation is a good reason why so many opt to watch at home or in the sports clubs.

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

BigWave96744

Re: Stadium

Post by BigWave96744 »

Grinch wrote:Parking across the bridge (Aiea side) was horrible. Cops didn't know what to do and one was berating drivers. Someone had the whole off-season to plan - but it didn't happen.
Glad the Warriors played hard and well.
Yes, I should have mentioned that this was at the elementary school across the stadium, next to the freeway overpass bridge.

All-American
All-American

Post by 808 »

The season ticket holders who bought reserved parking were notified that the Kam Lot was closed this year and that a portion of the Upper Halawa Lot was going to be partitioned off to accommodate the former Kam Lot parkers. However, this was back in May when they held the reserved parking auction. I don't recall any publicity to the general public as game day approached telling them about the reduction in available spaces in the Upper Halawa Lot. They should have encouraged people to arrive early because of the shortage of parking and/or to go to alternate lots or use alternate modes of transportation (express buses). I guess they were too focused on the sky is falling scenario and not even having 25,000 in attendance that they forgot to plan for the upside contingency. I wonder why the Na Koa lot had problems. Those are all Na Koa members, and I assume that many of them have parked there before. Unless Na Koa had a significant increase in membership that we didn't hear about and a lot of new members parking at the Aiea lot without knowing the procedures.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

808 wrote:The season ticket holders who bought reserved parking were notified that the Kam Lot was closed this year and that a portion of the Upper Halawa Lot was going to be partitioned off to accommodate the former Kam Lot parkers. However, this was back in May when they held the reserved parking auction. I don't recall any publicity to the general public as game day approached telling them about the reduction in available spaces in the Upper Halawa Lot. They should have encouraged people to arrive early because of the shortage of parking and/or to go to alternate lots or use alternate modes of transportation (express buses). I guess they were too focused on the sky is falling scenario and not even having 25,000 in attendance that they forgot to plan for the upside contingency. I wonder why the Na Koa lot had problems. Those are all Na Koa members, and I assume that many of them have parked there before. Unless Na Koa had a significant increase in membership that we didn't hear about and a lot of new members parking at the Aiea lot without knowing the procedures.
I believe some of the stadium workers parked at the Kam lot and now they are parking at Aiea Elementary too. There will be a parking spot for a Na Koa member who bought one. Just may be a bit more crowded now.
ImageImage

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

It was really sad to see cars filled with senior citizens being yelled at to drive around the block when they had the appropriate parking pass. This was around 3:30.

These people probably bought parking so they could show up late and walk over before kickoff.
If having to drive around the block and get stuck in traffic, again, I wouldn't be surprised if they missed the kickoff.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

A-House via the WarriorBeat wrote: spoke with Joyce Lau of Na Koa this am and she has been fielding many calls including 3 BOR who park at Aiea Elem.

Aiea Elem Principal, lady in the green shirt up front, chased the “cop” away and called HPD to complain about what he did including yelling at the NaKoa parking staff and says they caused the traffic jam.

Stadium parking was also horrendous because of the policy officers directing traffic at certain gates – Aloha Stadium also failed to erect signs at gates if they were PASS ONLY and failed to ask drivers what their status was – ie, held parking pass or not ahead of the entry lane

Aiea problem was compounded by the fact that Na Koa “sold” 200 spaces for the Stadium employees because Kam parking lot closed – these employees were to park in the far back portion and they arrived at different intervals – also, Na Koa was selling parking spaces at “premium” rates for those not Na Koa and stadium employees

compounding this was that Stadium people told everyone, regular workers and volunteers to park at Aiea which caused the long, long line off the freeway –volunteers who worked the concession stands were supposed to park in “lower Halawa” lot; not at Aiea.

also, the cops were allowing people to stop and drop off riders in the lane leading into the parking lot causing additional delays

Joyce promises that an additional person will he working to help direct cars to the proper parking area – Na Koa members, she says, have the “front” parking stalls while everyone parks in the back lot

recommend to her to have one “worker” at the entrance to quiz drivers if they are NaKoa or stadium employees to speed up moving cars -

Ulchiro5ga
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by Ulchiro5ga »

I noticed there wasn't as many special duty police officers around directing traffic at the intersection as usual. I walk from Aiea using the pedestrian walkway, and there are usually a lot of police (one at each leg of the intersection) but I didn't notice more than one or two this time. Plus, I think everybody believed BJ, and came to the game late. When I drove thru Aiea at about 2:45 pm the freeway was wide open, when I walked to the game at 3:30 the freeway was all backed up. Had lot of people parking on the overpass (usually guaranteed parking ticket).

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Ulchiro5ga wrote:I noticed there wasn't as many special duty police officers around directing traffic at the intersection as usual. I walk from Aiea using the pedestrian walkway, and there are usually a lot of police (one at each leg of the intersection) but I didn't notice more than one or two this time. Plus, I think everybody believed BJ, and came to the game late. When I drove thru Aiea at about 2:45 pm the freeway was wide open, when I walked to the game at 3:30 the freeway was all backed up. Had lot of people parking on the overpass (usually guaranteed parking ticket).
I might have been walking near you, about that time.
How was after the game. We waited a while, but the pedestrian traffic over the overpass was crazy.
But I didn't mind. Just happy the dans came out :hello1: