Stadium

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
BullNuts808
Pine rider
Pine rider
MLB: the off season

Re: Stadium

Post by BullNuts808 »

I just wanted to say that the Aloha Stadium has been doomed for its inception since someone or some group decided to make a metal structure in the middle of the most salt-water saturated state in the country. To make it worse, the recent shabby $700,000 renovation which consisted of welding additional metal slabs onto structural beam as well as a whole a lot of paint on the floors and seats. This did nothing. But don't worry they'll tell you that rust makes it stronger. The stadium has been operating this way for decades under the direction of its commission which consist of a group of washed-out politicians and union leaders who were placed there because they are in the "network". These are the very people who have the best parking and seats (catering included) at the UH home games yet pay nothing to the program. Years of this has cause the stadium to become a bottomless money pit for taxpayers. If you don't believe what I say about commission go and take a look at the current board members. None of them have any background in managing or promoting stadium business they are just affiliated with some interest group. All I'm saying is that you cannot ask for different results with the same people so get use to looking at the rust, driving in traffic (well not during Chow time), using dilapidated restrooms, and paying for high food prices. Boot the bastards out and get some real innovators in there.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

We going have to pay for high priced food no matter what kind of stadium we have.
I am the one who knocks.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

poidog wrote:
Haynr8dr wrote:This subject needs to be kept alive.

UH and the State need to address the Stadium "Authority", especially, the food-services provided.

They should make 4 or 5 units where they have spaces now, complete with power and plumbing, name a competitive lease price and allow anyone - including places like L&L and McDonald's - to lease season-by-season. Perhaps a first-come first-served basis, complete with a waiting list. Or implement some sort of "drawing" for those spaces, redone every year to make it fair.

But they got to do something. The food SUCKS! I can handle the higher cost if the food was worth it.
in comparson to the other MWC stadiums I've been to, I think the food at Aloha Stadium is better than at UNLV's or SJSU's stadiums. UNR was pretty good, though - they had some booths run by chain restaurants and I think they had good BBQ.

It is too bad that they don't have the Genki Sushi booth at the stadium anymore. Spicy ahi rolls were the perfect thing for in-game snacking.
Genki Sushi? Once you have Sushi Bay, you'll never enjoy Genki again - too small and expensive. You'll realize you're getting ripped off at Genki. For sure.
I am the one who knocks.

cousin
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by cousin »

MHO on the stadium:

Keep the stadium. Why? Because it works! The cost of building a new stadium plus dismantling and carting off Aloha would be way expensive. Maintenance occurs to all stadiums. Aloha takes more because it's old, but it would take many years of maintenance costs to equal the costs involved in replacement. Aloha is not dangerous. They're still scheduling events there and selling tickets, which they wouldn't do if Aloha was a safety hazard. Reinforcing here and there will continue to work, until it won't. Then declare the stadium unsafe and build a new one, with some foresight so there is always a stadium available. If they want a 35,000 seat stadium, why not consider cutting down the upper tiers. At least consider. Might make the remainder last longer.

Bad food, too expensive: Food at the Stanley is excellent! A fifth grader could solve this one.
Too expensive, yeah, no solution, but if the food was good......And I'm not sure beer is ever too expensive. :lol:

Helloyourcool
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Helloyourcool »

Hey Everyone, I'm new here so first off hey what's.

Concerning the stadium, I hate it. It's old, ghetto and an eye sore.

A lot of people here don't think an on campus stadium would not work, yes I know there's no money for it, parking sucks, traffic... Yea I know. But let's say we had the money for an on campus stadium and other structures.

My idea- the stadium would be where the T. Ching complex is. 45,000 seat stadium similar. We'll get rid of the track, enclosed the stadium just big enough for soccer to be played there. One ending will have maybe cheap bleacher seating that can be for students or just free admission. Steal bleachers... The other endzone will have the locker rooms and coaches offices. The space is big enough for a stadium, I've measured it, and my engineering friends said its possible. The sidelines will have about 22,000 on each side.

The tennis courts will beibed to another location, maybe where the current grass field is, along with the sand volleyball courts and the new indoor track and field complex that will field both men's and women's track. The men's golf team will be removed. Extra parking will be added to the current lot over the tennis courts.

What about a practice field? We'll there's the stadium, there is also a gym names Klum gym that I think is big enough for an indoor football facilty as we'll. there's a bunch of gyms on lower campus and now a new facility on top.

Back to the stadium, the parking structure will add bridges and walk ways directly too the stadium. UH has 6,000 parking stalls currently compared to 7,000 at aloha stadium. UH will save money on student and players shuttle services. Parking will go straight to the school. Assuming Uh can charge $10 per stall, 420,000 per year just on hawaii football. They can host concerts, the bowl game, high school sports and soo on. Manoa is walking distances for a lot of people in town. They can open the parking lot early all day to lessen traffic. A real campus bookstore can be located at the facilities, the business college, clubs etc can hold game day pep rally's for fan tailgating experiences on campus. After going to an Oregon Ducks game this year, it showed me that Uh has the potential to have this. Yea we don't have the money right now, but sometimes you have to take a gamble to get too bigger things.

Maintenance of facilities? Scholarship programs, there's a trade school at HCC that does , carpentry, painting, electrical, welding, air conditioning. These kids can work on campus, help maintain facilities and be rewarded. UH shouldn't have to pay contractors a butt load for things they don't need to pay for.

There's so much potential for revenue at this school but there is too much lazy, half minded people that care about themselves.

That'sy idea, it would take a whole to get smooth but I think if would work. Pretty damn sure

BullNuts808
Pine rider
Pine rider
MLB: the off season

Post by BullNuts808 »

808Hawaii wrote:We going have to pay for high priced food no matter what kind of stadium we have.

you're right....because of this we deserve everything else...thx (catch the sarcasm?)
Last edited by BullNuts808 on Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Exiled
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by Exiled »

Helloyourcool, you are right that an on campus stadium and all that goes with it can work. The real problem is the lack of political leadership and will in HI. Gov. Abercrombie tried to fire the stadium authorities and was over ruled. He didn't go about it the right way, apparently. The state needs to fully invest in the Main campus of UH, athletics is an important part of that. The reason, connect with the people and keep talented, educated youth home!

jrboi96786
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by jrboi96786 »

This will never happen. But if this actually happens, probably not for another 20 years from now. It's a Hawaii thing. The state would rather spend $150-200 million over 5 years to keep the aloha stadium safe and useable, instead of spending $500 million to build a new one. They've been doing that for the last 10 years already and instead of getting better, it's getting worst every year. This proposed stadium designs from Aloha Stadium and UH Athletic is pretty much just a bunch of words but no action will take place. Specially coming from UH Manoa. They can't even manage their current facilities and annual budget. They just waisted thousands of dollars for design that will never come true.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

Helloyourcool wrote:Hey Everyone, I'm new here so first off hey what's.

A lot of people here don't think an on campus stadium would not work, yes I know there's no money for it, parking sucks, traffic... Yea I know. But let's say we had the money for an on campus stadium and other structures.

My idea- the stadium would be where the T. Ching complex is. 45,000 seat stadium similar. We'll get rid of the track, enclosed the stadium just big enough for soccer to be played there. One ending will have maybe cheap bleacher seating that can be for students or just free admission. Steal bleachers... The other endzone will have the locker rooms and coaches offices. The space is big enough for a stadium, I've measured it, and my engineering friends said its possible. The sidelines will have about 22,000 on each side.

The tennis courts will beibed to another location, maybe where the current grass field is, along with the sand volleyball courts and the new indoor track and field complex that will field both men's and women's track. The men's golf team will be removed. Extra parking will be added to the current lot over the tennis courts.

What about a practice field? We'll there's the stadium, there is also a gym names Klum gym that I think is big enough for an indoor football facilty as we'll. there's a bunch of gyms on lower campus and now a new facility on top.

Back to the stadium, the parking structure will add bridges and walk ways directly too the stadium. UH has 6,000 parking stalls currently compared to 7,000 at aloha stadium. UH will save money on student and players shuttle services. Parking will go straight to the school. Assuming Uh can charge $10 per stall, 420,000 per year just on hawaii football. They can host concerts, the bowl game, high school sports and soo on. Manoa is walking distances for a lot of people in town. They can open the parking lot early all day to lessen traffic. A real campus bookstore can be located at the facilities, the business college, clubs etc can hold game day pep rally's for fan tailgating experiences on campus. After going to an Oregon Ducks game this year, it showed me that Uh has the potential to have this. Yea we don't have the money right now, but sometimes you have to take a gamble to get too bigger things.

Maintenance of facilities? Scholarship programs, there's a trade school at HCC that does , carpentry, painting, electrical, welding, air conditioning. These kids can work on campus, help maintain facilities and be rewarded. UH shouldn't have to pay contractors a butt load for things they don't need to pay for.

There's so much potential for revenue at this school but there is too much lazy, half minded people that care about themselves.

That'sy idea, it would take a whole to get smooth but I think if would work. Pretty damn sure
The UH is in a very difficult location to get 45,000 fans into and out of. Only the H1 serves this area as an arterial. Aloha Stadium is in the perfect location - H1, H3, H2101, Kam Hwy. If you can't see the difference, I can't help you.
I am the one who knocks.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

BullNuts808 wrote:
808Hawaii wrote:We going have to pay for high priced food no matter what kind of stadium we have.

you're right....because of this we deserve everything else...thx (catch the sarcasm?)

Deserve? We're entitled! :P
I am the one who knocks.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Good thoughts overall, but here is my two cents worth:

The Clarence TC Ching Foundation put up buku bucks and that complex was finally completed to meet Title IX requirements. I seriously doubt that the school will knock it down for an on campus football stadium.

People forget that UHM is a commuter school and that most of the students do not live on or near campus. The dorms are primarily for the freshmen and neighbor islanders.

Oahu's population center shifted west a long time ago and is geographically somewhere near the Red Hill area. To locate a new stadium east to Manoa is a disservice to the residents/fans on the west and central side of the island.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

My3Cats wrote:Good thoughts overall, but here is my two cents worth:

The Clarence TC Ching Foundation put up buku bucks and that complex was finally completed to meet Title IX requirements. I seriously doubt that the school will knock it down for an on campus football stadium.

People forget that UHM is a commuter school and that most of the students do not live on or near campus. The dorms are primarily for the freshmen and neighbor islanders.

Oahu's population center shifted west a long time ago and is geographically somewhere near the Red Hill area. To locate a new stadium east to Manoa is a disservice to the residents/fans on the west and central side of the island.
Do it now. No one go to the games anyway.
I am the one who knocks.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

808Hawaii wrote:
My3Cats wrote:Good thoughts overall, but here is my two cents worth:

Do it now. No one go to the games anyway.

If that's the case, then maybe no need knock down Ching Field, just put more bleachers and we're good to go! Can hold what, 5,000 butts in the seats?

Problem is that the athletic program will still not get the parking fees (contracted out by the school, who gets a guarantee - not the athletic program). Food and food choices might be better as Sodexho has the UH contract and not Centerplate. So get ready for your nostrils to be filled with the aroma of garlic fries.

Also maybe by 2045, Mufi's choochoo will get an extension to UH and west side and central people can finally ride mass transit to these games.

Helloyourcool
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Helloyourcool »

808Hawaii wrote:

The UH is in a very difficult location to get 45,000 fans into and out of. Only the H1 serves this area as an arterial. Aloha Stadium is in the perfect location - H1, H3, H2101, Kam Hwy. If you can't see the difference, I can't help you.

We'll I've been to college games on the mainland that had stadiums and campuses with far worst situations. Eugene for example, it's parking area is a one way in and one way out. The other is a 1-2 mile walk across the park to the campus. That's 59,000 people every Saturday.

UH is also capable of enrolling 20,000+ students per semester, parking is not that bad.
You have H-1 access to the east, west. You have back road options, shuttle options and walking options. There are a couple of schools and parks in and close to manoa the can field parking and shuttle service. But if you can't see that, be creative, proactive, that you sir can't see it, and I can't help you. If your going to cry and moan about traffic as an excuse than you don't deserve to come to the game. Sit on your couch. If the parking is open 24/7 like it is already, than parking shouldn't be that big a problem. Getting in and out of Manoa isn't that bad after a UH sellout basketball game, people go to these last minute and cram. Go on a computer, look at an aerial view of Manoa you'll see there are ways to do this.

Let's just watch UH fall apart, have the stadium consume UH money, let's not build our own revenue.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Helloyourcool wrote:
808Hawaii wrote:

We'll I've been to college games on the mainland that had stadiums and campuses with far worst situations. Eugene for example, it's parking area is a one way in and one way out. The other is a 1-2 mile walk across the park to the campus. That's 59,000 people every Saturday.

UH is also capable of enrolling 20,000+ students per semester, parking is not that bad.
You have H-1 access to the east, west. You have back road options, shuttle options and walking options. There are a couple of schools and parks in and close to manoa the can field parking and shuttle service. But if you can't see that, be creative, proactive, that you sir can't see it, and I can't help you. If your going to cry and moan about traffic as an excuse than you don't deserve to come to the game. Sit on your couch. If the parking is open 24/7 like it is already, than parking shouldn't be that big a problem. Getting in and out of Manoa isn't that bad after a UH sellout basketball game, people go to these last minute and cram. Go on a computer, look at an aerial view of Manoa you'll see there are ways to do this.

Let's just watch UH fall apart, have the stadium consume UH money, let's not build our own revenue.

I don't know about other stadiums and schools on the mainland because my vision is myopic, but to compare football programs like UH Manoa to the University of Oregon is like comparing a rotting pineapple to the most heavenly sweet and most expensive fruit in the world. People want to go to the games in Eugene. Attendance for UH games has been on a steady decline for several years. Even during the June Jones years the attendance was down compared to those under Dick Tomey and Bob Wagner. But maybe you're right in that a stadium at UH may work because the way that things are going under Chow, the average attendance in 2015 could be less than 20,000 a game - paid, and less than 15,000 actual butts in the seats. If that is the case, and if the future prognostications aren't optimistic, I would stick with the TC Ching Complex and just add more bleacher seats around the field to increase the capacity. Still can't get revenue from the parking on-campus because this is a service that is contracted out by the UH to a private company. I don't know about how the unions are involved, but while your suggestion of using college students (i.e. HCC) for the labor has possibilities, but is also dependent on UH rules as far as procurement goes, etc. Maybe by the time that an on-campus stadium gets closer to becoming a reality, Mufi's choochoo train will have an extension to the UH campus. I don't think that a 45,000 seat stadium is realistic, but maybe 30,000 could be more realistic. Then again, we're talking about UH ... things just take longer to get done there.