What the heck was up with the play calling???

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
travo66
Starter
Starter
MLB: None
NBA: Lakers

What the heck was up with the play calling???

Post by travo66 »

No, I'm not talking about going for it on 4 and 1...that was a good call and the receiver was wide open, but we just couldn't get the ball to him.

I'm talking about the 4th quarter...run to the right, run to the right, run to the right...oh, its 3rd 10? Let's throw a screen to the receiver at the line of scrimmage!!! Really??? And that was the second time that play was called with no success, the time before that, it was 3rd and 14 and we threw it to the receiver at the line of scrimmage on a screen...

All we really needed was to get into field goal position, but we got nothing instead...

Overall, yes, a well played game, but the most frustrating part is that we could have and SHOULD have won that game! This game was lost by NC; the players wanted it, but the direction wasn't there...
Bored in the offseason? Join Goal Line Blitz!

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: What the heck was up with the play calling???

Post by poidog »

travo66 wrote:No, I'm not talking about going for it on 4 and 1...that was a good call and the receiver was wide open, but we just couldn't get the ball to him.

I'm talking about the 4th quarter...run to the right, run to the right, run to the right...oh, its 3rd 10? Let's throw a screen to the receiver at the line of scrimmage!!! Really??? And that was the second time that play was called with no success, the time before that, it was 3rd and 14 and we threw it to the receiver at the line of scrimmage on a screen...

All we really needed was to get into field goal position, but we got nothing instead...

Overall, yes, a well played game, but the most frustrating part is that we could have and SHOULD have won that game! This game was lost by NC; the players wanted it, but the direction wasn't there...
That was "Our offense is struggling against a good defense" play calling, I think. things will be better when Ikaika and his receivers jell a little more.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

I had no problem with the play calling. Receivers made a couple of drops. Washington raised to the occasion and played great D. Trying to isolate Iosefa on a DB was a great call and the swing pass was a little too slow. OL couldn't get out for the DB who is very fast. Kemp was open on the left side we just couldn't get the ball to him. The runs kept the LBs in the box and they couldn't go to a nicle package.

The plays were there we just didn't execute. First game, we will get better.

jhb3043
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by jhb3043 »

those screens were terrible

I was really hoping we could get down for a FG attempt :-?

Makana
Starter
Starter
MLB: San Francisco Giants
NBA: The Bay Warriors
NFL: San Francisco 49ers

Post by Makana »

Like I've said before, there's only so much run-plays you can call when handing the ball off in Shot-gun formations, until it becomes predictable.

When the offense was in Pistol formation it looked a lot more successful to run the ball from there cause the defense had to guess which way the run-play was going.

And what's with throwing a screen to Iosefa, I thought UH had some speedy backs on their depth chart??
“Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere.”
― Albert Einstein

“Jiu-Jitsu is like a philosophy. It helps me learn how to face life.”
-Helio Gracie

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Haynr8dr
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NBA: Boston Celtics
NFL: Oakland RAIDERS!

Post by Haynr8dr »

I only had a problem with those sequences: the one where Joey broke off a long one to get us to the red zone - the team quickly lined-up - and what I thought was a good time to run a misdirection of some sort, we simply ran Joey into the line two more times for minimal gains. Settled for a FG on that drive.

And then the last possession - we got away from doing what we did all game long - running Iosefa.

Of course, I'm a keyboard analyst, so ... . :)

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

1st game so I am expecting a huge improvement in the next game. Can't expect too much from a young quarterback. You don't want to pressure him into making mistakes. I think the coaches did a good job. They gave the players an opportunity to win the game. Huskies came up with the big play that they needed to get a win. We had our opportunities. Like our players have been saying they need to finish. They are the ones that need to do it. I think that they can do it. Watch out Beavers.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

TheDuke wrote:I had no problem with the play calling. Receivers made a couple of drops. Washington raised to the occasion and played great D. Trying to isolate Iosefa on a DB was a great call and the swing pass was a little too slow. OL couldn't get out for the DB who is very fast. Kemp was open on the left side we just couldn't get the ball to him. The runs kept the LBs in the box and they couldn't go to a nicle package.

The plays were there we just didn't execute. First game, we will get better.
a couple? more like 6-7 drops. maybe more.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

Makana wrote:
And what's with throwing a screen to Iosefa, I thought UH had some speedy backs on their depth chart??
we do. the only way i can defend it is if they expected Joey to be able to run over the only DB coming to tackle him, or catch the D off guard (not that they sold it particularly well). but yeah, Lakalaka and St Juste are faster players, i dont know why we ran it with Iosefa.

it would also help if we attacked the edges more. if we keep all our runs between the tackles, there's only so much you can do, shotgun or not before teams just start stacking the box.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

WA Warrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by WA Warrior »

Hawai'i became predictable in the play calling during while in the Red Zone (minus the trickery).

Mahalos [*]Red Gun[/color] for the update!!!

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

Lack of trust in Woolsey. He can't make reads, can't make the throws to receivers that are only open by a few feet, so gotta go with little screens and easy simple passes to where the receiver is already open

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HawaiianHogster »

Too many coaches make the same mistake thinking their opponent will be surprised or won't be able to stop them. I've seen Georgia, LSU, Arkansas, Alabama, South Carolina, and many other BCS teams do the same thing with no success. It irks me that they are so blind. Houston Nutt was the worst ever coach that called the same plays that didn't work when they needed to work the most.
“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”

Mushtaq
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Mushtaq »

I am curious as to what you would call this offense? Spread with a very conservative passing game? They were almost exclusively in the shotgun.

I think whatever it is it suits the personnel and I look forward to them improving as the confidence hopefully grows.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

hey, you think maybe they haven't yet put in the whole playbook by the first game of the season?

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HawaiianHogster »

I have heard from experts that teams don't show much their first game. As time goes on they add more each game. Had the receivers caught the ball UH would have won the game. They will improve and implement more on offense. Go to the games to show your support and see first hand their improvements.
“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”