QB switch needs to be made...

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
seasider
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Re: QB switch needs to be made...

Post by seasider »

Quikfeat, are you Laura or Steve who post on Cindy’s blog and likes to put the blame on a player(s) for a team’s lackluster performance even when they win?

Bottom line, Hawaii’s Strength & Conditioning Coordinator is a good one, but the past couple of years even the mainland players have stayed back over the summer going to summer school and participating with off-season training, i.e. Boise State during Peterson’s tenure. LOL…this past summer all of the mainland boys, except one, stayed in the island, so they can get stronger, quicker, and have that endurance/stamina for that last quarter. LOL…they showed us they can do it last night…the team completely shut down a PAC12 team in the 2nd half.

Again, Ikaika did not lose the ball game. He went through his progression…LOL…the receivers have to get open…and when they do, go get that ball ‘cause even the all-world QBs can’t throw a perfect ball every time. Only first game; but, Hawaii at this point, only has one big time receiver (who would’ve been able to crack Hawaii’s lineup during Colt’s tenure as Hawaii’s QB). If Hawaii had Vasquez Haynes and Stubblefield (football injuries requiring surgery) make a difference in last night’s game?…LOL…pure speculation on my part. Just like you’re speculating a change of QB would’ve change the result of last night’s game.

No pun intended, but be more objective when watching the game…tunnel vision will never get you far in life.
Don’t be like a certain “Doom and Gloom” reporter who doesn’t do his home-work when reporting the facts.

Haynr8dr
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NBA: Boston Celtics
NFL: Oakland RAIDERS!

Post by Haynr8dr »

quikfeat wrote: Hawaii should have blown UW out ...

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

Definitely missed having the deep threats from last season......Gant, Stutz & Kirkwood.

thatmakakiloguy
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by thatmakakiloguy »

Washington was way overrated...they didn't look like a ranked team...that husky QB was horrid...their ineptitude on offense aside from one play, made the UH defense look better than they really are... this "it was only 17-16"... "hawaii had chance" ...is mere fools gold

Markazulu
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Markazulu »

Woosley played ok. He managed the game which is exactly how Coach Chow wants it to be. No turnovers and he went through his progressions.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Irse wrote:I think Ikaika played well. Looking forward to seeing improve each week.

Every QB I've seen miss seeing open receivers. Can easily pick them out from the stands but not so easy from the field. When I used to go to the Na Koa luncheons and watched the game film, even Colt and Timmy missed seeing a lot of open receivers.
+1. He played against good defense. He did better than I had expected. We have a good quarterback. No need to change. The offense did better than I had expected too. I did expect this to be a close game. We had our opportunities. We just failed to make those plays. All we had to do was make one of them. Soooo close.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

Ikaika outplayed Linquist.

Got within scoring distance a good number of times against a very good defense, maybe the best we'll face this season - Dunno about Oregon State, though. 4 field goal attempts? Missed one? What a difference that made, too. That razzle dazzle play in the first half in which Kempt threw that pass into the end zone to a wide open receiver. That should have been made, too. That one long 91 yard play by Washington against our Defense hurt, as well.

att comp int yd td long
Lindquist, Jeff 10 - 26 - 0 162 1 91 1
Woolsey, Ikaika 23 - 42 - 0 207 0 29 3 (54%)

Ikaika also ran 13 times for 44 yards.

Warriors had 88 yards more offensively than Washington. I don't put the blame on Ikaika. This was a team loss. A missed FG... dropped pass in the end zone. Dropped passes elsewhere for 1st downs and more. Missed tackle. It was a single score game and Hawaii had more than enough chances to win.

And what about the play in which Washington's RB stepped out of bounds just before the 1st down marker? That worked against us, too.

I think few of us really thought Hawaii had a chance, but they beat the odds soundly and kept the crowd into the game till the very last minute. Admittedly, somewhat suspect play calling in the last drive, though.

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

Makana
Starter
Starter
MLB: San Francisco Giants
NBA: The Bay Warriors
NFL: San Francisco 49ers

Post by Makana »

No QB change is necessary at this time. Ikaika Woosley played good, the receivers dropped a bunch of passes. The play calling didn't help Woosley out either, but this is the first game and maybe they'll work the bugs out.
“Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere.”
― Albert Einstein

“Jiu-Jitsu is like a philosophy. It helps me learn how to face life.”
-Helio Gracie

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

Makana wrote:No QB change is necessary at this time. Ikaika Woosley played good, the receivers dropped a bunch of passes. The play calling didn't help Woosley out either, but this is the first game and maybe they'll work the bugs out.
seriously. Woolsey didnt look great, but he would have thrown at least 65% if we had no drops. and we would have probably won the game.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

MadCat88
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by MadCat88 »

Woolsey will be just fine at QB... figure him to be a 60~70% completion passer this coming season. Problem with QBs who can run... they got to stay healthy, and not get "happy feet" and jack rabbit out of the pocket too early. With the way the O-line played (against a very strong, fast, and experienced front seven), I expect them to give Woolsey plenty of time to get thru his progressions all season long. The game will slow down for him as the season progresses... and as long as the injury bug doesn't hit him, he'll do just fine IMHO.

UHALLDAWAY808
All-conference
All-conference

Post by UHALLDAWAY808 »

We will be contenders in the MWC..I think we have a really improved and competitive team..we seen glimpses last year and it's starting to come together..Woolsey will be fine

season ticket holder
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by season ticket holder »

I was pleasantly surprised with the QB play, play calling needs to be better suited for his skill set though. Need to be build his confidence with high percentage passes.

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HawaiianHogster »

quikfeat wrote:When you dominate the game in terms of time of possession, first downs and total yardage and.Iosefa.runs for 140+ yards, and no turnovers for both sides, your qb with under 5 yds per pass attempt has to do a better job finding the open receiver. Hawaii should have blown UW out when you have stats like that and it points to the qb play-Woolsey is just not finding the open receivers well enough to keep the chains moving by making key 1st downs. I could see if the team stats were the other way around-Hawaii losing time of possession and total yardage and 1st down-payment have you saw a team lose winning those categories with no turnovers??? Hardly ever if at all...
It doesn't happen much but I have seen Arkansas win a few and lose a few of those games. Stats may tell the coaches something but the scoreboard is all that matters at the end of the game. Stats won't get you to the championship game. Win the scoring column and you win the championship.

I do like the stats UH earned. To me it means they have real potential to do great things. Now get the points on the scoreboard.
“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

HawaiianHogster wrote:
quikfeat wrote:When you dominate the game in terms of time of possession, first downs and total yardage and.Iosefa.runs for 140+ yards, and no turnovers for both sides, your qb with under 5 yds per pass attempt has to do a better job finding the open receiver. Hawaii should have blown UW out when you have stats like that and it points to the qb play-Woolsey is just not finding the open receivers well enough to keep the chains moving by making key 1st downs. I could see if the team stats were the other way around-Hawaii losing time of possession and total yardage and 1st down-payment have you saw a team lose winning those categories with no turnovers??? Hardly ever if at all...
It doesn't happen much but I have seen Arkansas win a few and lose a few of those games. Stats may tell the coaches something but the scoreboard is all that matters at the end of the game. Stats won't get you to the championship game. Win the scoring column and you win the championship.

I do like the stats UH earned. To me it means they have real potential to do great things. Now get the points on the scoreboard.
Washington's defense is supposed to be very good that's why they were ranked #25. 5 yards a pop? More like 8.... losing by one when the other side is favored by 17+? Let's see how he does against Oregon State and the following week against an FCS team...

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by WarriorTyme »

There is no reason to change QB at this point. Woolsey just needs time to gel with the receivers more and the more live game reps he gets he should get better. Sean Schroeder took his lumps in 2012 and in 2013 lit up the score board and stats. Woolsey did pretty good managing the offense against 4-5 star parade all-american recruits on Washington roster. In fact, Hawaii team as a whole did really well against these 4-5 star parade all-american recruits on the Huskies offense, defense and special teams.