QB switch needs to be made...

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
quikfeat
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

QB switch needs to be made...

Post by quikfeat »

...Ikaika seems like a good kid and I really want to see him succeed however I'm sorry he doesn't see the field and make the necessary decisions to be successful - a few times he did not go to the open receivers which Schroeder would have. Hawaii played well enough to win this game and the defense and OL played well however our QB play was not there. Jeremy Higgins should get the next start and if he doesn't do it maybe Taylor Graham could be successful since the OL is giving the QB more time to throw. Like last year's Fresno State game, IF Shroeder was still playing, we would have beaten UW handily. Woolsey just doesn't see the field - this game was winnable if we had better QB play. Not only winnable but handily winnable. I'd even give one of the Freshmen a chance if they do have the decision making skills necessary.

browndog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: QB switch needs to be made...

Post by browndog »

i thought ikaika played well.
He cant throw AND catch the ball.
No deep threat to take pressure off the under routes either.

reignjah11
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
MLB: Boston Red Sox
NBA: Dallas Mavericks
NFL: New England Patriots

Post by reignjah11 »

Idk I thought woolsey played well for his first game as starter! Hard to get the passing game going when the receivers have a hard time getting open. There were many times where woolsey was going through his progressions and was throwing to his 3rd or 4th option or had to scramble on his own. Plus they had no deep threat so Washington was pressing up their cbs and safeties. Sure he missed some passes but I don't think any of the other qbs could have done a better job.

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

reignjah11 wrote:Idk I thought woolsey played well for his first game as starter! Hard to get the passing game going when the receivers have a hard time getting open. There were many times where woolsey was going through his progressions and was throwing to his 3rd or 4th option or had to scramble on his own. Plus they had no deep threat so Washington was pressing up their cbs and safeties. Sure he missed some passes but I don't think any of the other qbs could have done a better job.
His scrambling helped keep us in the game. There were a number of plays that could have swung the game for us if the receivers had hung on to the ball. Also that trick play when the receiver who was wide open dropped the ball in the end zone in the first quarter... auwe...

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

People were down on Schroeder his whole junior year. He was slow in making the reads and slow in pulling the trigger. He wasn't the starter for almost half of last season. When he got his shot he showed how much he had improved from his junior year. At the end he was a very productive QB.

Woolsey just played his first full game. He's a redshirt sophomore with three years to learn. Will he become as productive as Schroeder? Time will tell, but he has a lot of upside and needs to gain more experience. I saw missed opportunities with secondary receivers wide open too. Hopefully over the course of the season, things will start slowing down for him and he starts seeing more of the field.

I saw the same things reighjah11 and browndog did. Without the deep threat it makes the passing game much more difficult. UW's secondary is pretty good and they have a really good rush. So we might see more of a vertical game against other teams with less of a rush and a lesser secondary. And that could really open up the passing game.

seasider
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by seasider »

I don’t know what game you were watching, putting the blame on this loss to Ikaika. IMHO, he was a leader tonight going against a veteran PAC 12 defense. He was “mo bettah” than Washington’s QB.

What played a big part in tonight’s loss: 1)an unnecessary roughing the passer by Ne Quan Phillips, giving the ball back to Washington, after a great 3rd and long defensive stop; 2) a miss field goal by Tyler Hadden ; and 3) an anemic pass by Barker that fell short of a wide open Moleni in the end zone.

The game stats all went the Rainbow Warriors way, but the game went to the Huskies. Bottom line, if the Huskies are the 25th ranked team in the nation, than the Rainbow Warriors must be close to that level. The Prognosticators must be all shaking their heads.

LOL…what will it take to make all those fans "sitting on the fence" get of the fence and cheer on the Rainbow Warriors next week-end against another PAC 12 team.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

is this some kind of troll job? Ikaika played pretty darn well for his first full game as "the guy". He can hit the outs and throws very well on the run. the down-field stuff will come as he gets more experience. making judgments like that after one game against a top-25 defense is kind of silly.

quikfeat
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by quikfeat »

When you dominate the game in terms of time of possession, first downs and total yardage and.Iosefa.runs for 140+ yards, and no turnovers for both sides, your qb with under 5 yds per pass attempt has to do a better job finding the open receiver. Hawaii should have blown UW out when you have stats like that and it points to the qb play-Woolsey is just not finding the open receivers well enough to keep the chains moving by making key 1st downs. I could see if the team stats were the other way around-Hawaii losing time of possession and total yardage and 1st down-payment have you saw a team lose winning those categories with no turnovers??? Hardly ever if at all...

quikfeat
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by quikfeat »

Typing this on my phone and my texting changed these words - "payment" is supposed to be "when"

quikfeat
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by quikfeat »

For a qb to be successful your yds per attempt has to be around 7 yds per pass attempt. Woolsey was alright except fot that key category. An analogy would be a running back averaging 2-3 yds a carry. When you dominate team stats, your qb passing yards per attempt should be higher than that if you are going to be a successful qb.

quikfeat
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by quikfeat »

Coach Chow, Please let me be the one choosing your starting qb-last year I posted if Schroeder came in after Graham threw his 3rd interception against USC we possibly could have won that game with the way our defense was playing and our OL giving the qb more time to throw than the prior year against USC. I stated this after the USC game and look what happened later with Schroeder he should have been starting from the USC game. I also pointed out how great a job Naeole was doing with the same OL as the previous year. Woolsey has 2 starts now and both were disappointing especially this one with us dominating those Stat catrgories. You cannot be a successful qb with just under 5 yds per pass attempt like a rb with just 2-3 yds per rushing attempt. You need to be at least around 7 and 4 for a rb.

quikfeat
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by quikfeat »

Schroeder's problem was not experience, it was not being mobile. Norms first year the OL could not give him enough time to throw. In Norm's 2nd year he brought in Chris Naeole to coach the OL and there was big improvement since they could give the qb more time to throw. It did improve even more of course when Joey came back at rb. The most Iimportant thing in a qb is decision making and as long as he has a decent arm to get the ball where it needs to be. I think Higgins may have it but his arm strength is the knock on him but it's serviceable. I'd like to see if Reilly or Prater has the decision making skills to be successful.

quikfeat
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by quikfeat »

I'd also like to add I think Gary Beemer, the strength coach is doing a marvelous job with not only getting the players stronger but getting them into shape which it showed tonight.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

I think Ikaika played well. Looking forward to seeing improve each week.

Every QB I've seen miss seeing open receivers. Can easily pick them out from the stands but not so easy from the field. When I used to go to the Na Koa luncheons and watched the game film, even Colt and Timmy missed seeing a lot of open receivers.
ImageImage

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

The QBs job is to manage the game and Ikaika did that well. He was coached to not take risks............there were no interceptions. He gave the team more flexibility with his rollouts, And he was accurate on his passes. The Washington D actually did a great job of containing him. They played the QB option well, they did not give him the outside on scrambles and they closed fast.

Is he the better passer? I don't think so. What we need is the better QB for the offensive package that we have and he does bring that to the table.

With Ikaika at the helm we had a chance to win this game and that is all you can ask. There were about a half dozen plays that could have changed the end result of this game.

I give the QB play a B rating. It was more then enough to win this game.