Starter
Starter
MLB: San Francisco Giants
NBA: The Bay Warriors
NFL: San Francisco 49ers

Re: QB switch needs to be made...

Post by Makana »

xer 21 wrote:
Makana wrote: . I noticed that if the first or second read for Woosley is not there he bails from the pocket early at times. If Chow can get him to calm down early on in the game and teach him to step up in the pocket it would help his decision making and pass accuracy.
yeah, well sometimes, he stays in the pocket, but still doesnt get past his first read. thre were a couple plays where i watched him stay in the pocket and he wasnt looking anywhere near his receivers.

whether they ran the wrong routes or not, i cant tell, but my first impression there is that he's lost in the offense, and whether he bails early or not, there's more than just Chow needing to calm him down. i question whether he really knows the play book fully.

and honestly, even when he knows where he's going, his accuracy isnt great. watching him at practice with no rush is an adventure still.
Everything you've written down believe it or not can be corrected with coaching and time. Even Colt Brennan needed time to gel with Rivers, RGM and Bess. QB to WR just doesn't happen over night especially if you haven't started in awhile or it's your first year a starter.

I'm just saying give this kid time, it's not like he just faced two cup cake teams either, he played damn well against them.
“Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere.”
― Albert Einstein

“Jiu-Jitsu is like a philosophy. It helps me learn how to face life.”
-Helio Gracie

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

Makana wrote:
Everything you've written down believe it or not can be corrected with coaching and time.
i know it can. i just have 0 faith in Chow, and why should i? i've seen him periodically in practices throughout the summer and havent seen anything change but his still shaky knowledge of the play book.

it would be one thing if we had a coach who'd actually developed a QB in the last 10 years, but we dont. and with so many mechanics issues to clean up, i think you know as well as i do that it aint happening THIS season while we're playing.

sure, in the future, might it matter? yeah, maybe.

but chow wont be here next year if woolsey heads this offense in this state.

if we're being brutally honest here, we never should have recruited woolsey in the first place.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

Optimus
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Optimus »

xer 21 wrote:
Makana wrote:
Everything you've written down believe it or not can be corrected with coaching and time.
i know it can. i just have 0 faith in Chow, and why should i?
Big deal if you have no faith in Chow, you aren't playing. The players believe in their coach and that's all that matters. I hope when the teams starts winning you lighten up and stop being such a downer

quikfeat
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by quikfeat »

I did not see this game however I have seen enough of Woolsey from the Washington game as you all know since I started this post and knew we needed to switch him however a lot of you felt differently. Hopefully against Rice it HAS to be HIGGINS or GRAHAM - I think you have to give Higgins a chance to start the game as well as Graham - I know Higgins arm isn't as strong however I think he at least moves the chains BETTER than Ikaika and Graham IS BETTER than Ikaika - I'll say that right off the bat.
As for Chow, my only complaint, and I posted this last year also, that he sticks with the wrong QB too long. However what I LOVE about Chow is he plays DEFENSE!!! Not since the Tomey/Wagner days have we played this kind of defense and I think Chow may have the MOST STOUT RUN DEFENSE out of anyone who has coached at the University of Hawaii. IF you can CONTROL THE LINE OF SCRIMMAGE, you have a chance to BEAT ANYBODY!!! UH has been in EVERY GAME so far this season because of the DEFENSE!!! Just we don't have the right QB, heck I'd even play Prater or Reilly if they have the necessary decision-making skills even if they are inexperienced - you may find you have a gem in one of them. However you need to give Higgins and Graham shots to start a game.
This DEFENSE is only going to get EVEN BETTER NEXT YEAR IF CHOW IS STILL HERE and we have Ohio State and Wisconsin on the road. My complaint about June is he doesn't play defense and if you don't play defense, you can never beat a BIG school such as Georgia in the Sugar Bowl. If June did play defense, he would be a GREAT HC and he'd probably still be at SMU if he did - Heck June would be coaching in the NFL if he did play DEFENSE!!!

quikfeat
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by quikfeat »

OK I just read in another post that Higgins may have a broken hand and may be out for the season so IT HAS TO BE GRAHAM NOW and I'd get the Freshmen ready to play and IF ONE OF THE FRESHMEN shows they have what it takes no matter if inexperienced I'd play them if Graham faulters... Freshmen can play - look at Timmy...and he wasn't better than Colt was but he played as a freshman... But GRAHAM HAS TO START NOW and see what he can do - the Mountain West Schedule hasn't started yet... If not, play a freshman!!!

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

Optimus wrote: The players believe in their coach and that's all that matters.
it only matters if the coach is worth believing in. a lot of people believed in Jim Jones and look where that got them.

Optimus wrote: I hope when the teams starts winning you lighten up and stop being such a downer
and when they dont start winning, i hope you see the light and realize that Chow is cancerous.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

quikfeat wrote:I did not see this game however I have seen enough of Woolsey from the Washington game as you all know since I started this post and knew we needed to switch him however a lot of you felt differently. Hopefully against Rice it HAS to be HIGGINS or GRAHAM - I think you have to give Higgins a chance to start the game as well as Graham - I know Higgins arm isn't as strong however I think he at least moves the chains BETTER than Ikaika and Graham IS BETTER than Ikaika - I'll say that right off the bat.
As for Chow, my only complaint, and I posted this last year also, that he sticks with the wrong QB too long. However what I LOVE about Chow is he plays DEFENSE!!! Not since the Tomey/Wagner days have we played this kind of defense and I think Chow may have the MOST STOUT RUN DEFENSE out of anyone who has coached at the University of Hawaii. IF you can CONTROL THE LINE OF SCRIMMAGE, you have a chance to BEAT ANYBODY!!! UH has been in EVERY GAME so far this season because of the DEFENSE!!! Just we don't have the right QB, heck I'd even play Prater or Reilly if they have the necessary decision-making skills even if they are inexperienced - you may find you have a gem in one of them. However you need to give Higgins and Graham shots to start a game.
This DEFENSE is only going to get EVEN BETTER NEXT YEAR IF CHOW IS STILL HERE and we have Ohio State and Wisconsin on the road. My complaint about June is he doesn't play defense and if you don't play defense, you can never beat a BIG school such as Georgia in the Sugar Bowl. If June did play defense, he would be a GREAT HC and he'd probably still be at SMU if he did - Heck June would be coaching in the NFL if he did play DEFENSE!!!
My complaint with this is that Jones hired great defensive coordinators. It took two years of crappy defense for Chow to say goodbye to his last defensive coordinator. We'll be playing the defensive coordinator that Chow discarded when he scrapped McMackin's whole crew in Wisconsin.

quikfeat
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by quikfeat »

Aranda is doing well now at Wisconsin because of Gary Anderson the HC brought Aranda in at Utah St when he was HC and now brought Aranda with him to Wisconsin. Didn't you see us get steamrolled by Wisconsin 51-10 after beating Navy back in 2009 with Aranda as McMackin's D-Coordinator??? Aranda and UH's D could not stop Wisconsin running the football down our throats!!! Don't you folks know it is the HC who has a BIG influence on the coaching staff??? Without Gary Anderson, you don't have a Dave Aranda being a better D-Coordinator. Dick Tomey mentioned at the start of the season that Gary Anderson simplified things for Aranda. McMackin was never a good D-Coordinator - if he were Great he sure wouldn't have come back here after the first time he was June Jones's D-Coordinator - what it meant was you couldn't succeed elsewhere so you came back to Hawaii... Go look up who Gary Anderson is...

quikfeat
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by quikfeat »

Aranda was the one who put in the Defensive game plan and beat Navy by talking with former UH players/coachs who ran the triple option during Wagner's time to stop Navy with Ken Niumatalolo so Aranda's D-Coordinator career was looking good however he had no answer for Wisconsin in the last game of the season...He was officially promoted to D-Coordinator the next year by McMackin. That is why the HC has a significant influence on the Coordinators...

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HawaiianHogster »

We need tyler to get ready. Maybe he can move the offense and score TD's. Schroeder came in last year and gave it a good try. Maybe sitting on the sideline has made him mentally better. Practice can help him get back into it.
“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

SundayJam wrote:My complaint with this is that Jones hired great defensive coordinators. It took two years of crappy defense for Chow to say goodbye to his last defensive coordinator. We'll be playing the defensive coordinator that Chow discarded when he scrapped McMackin's whole crew in Wisconsin.
wat? do you not remember when JJ made Lumpkin DC after Lempa left? And then he only got a "real" DC when Jerry Glanville called JJ because he wanted to get back into coaching. If Glanville doesn't make that call, We would have gone another two years with Lumpkin's substitute teacher-esque defense because JJ had no interest in bringing in new coaches or anyone he had not worked with in the past. JJ was singing "No New Friends" before Drake and DJ Khaled ever did...

Exiled
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by Exiled »

quikfeat wrote:OK I just read in another post that Higgins may have a broken hand and may be out for the season so IT HAS TO BE GRAHAM NOW and I'd get the Freshmen ready to play and IF ONE OF THE FRESHMEN shows they have what it takes no matter if inexperienced I'd play them if Graham faulters... Freshmen can play - look at Timmy...and he wasn't better than Colt was but he played as a freshman... But GRAHAM HAS TO START NOW and see what he can do - the Mountain West Schedule hasn't started yet... If not, play a freshman!!!
Totally agree with this. With the bye, Graham can get a good number of reps in.

I just hope the defense will remain accountable for their side of the ball. It sucks how they get put in such poor positions every game. The special teams as well. UH is 2/3 of the way to being good. Now if Graham can manage the game well, this team will win several games left on its schedule.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

quikfeat wrote:Aranda is doing well now at Wisconsin because of Gary Anderson the HC brought Aranda in at Utah St when he was HC and now brought Aranda with him to Wisconsin. Didn't you see us get steamrolled by Wisconsin 51-10 after beating Navy back in 2009 with Aranda as McMackin's D-Coordinator??? Aranda and UH's D could not stop Wisconsin running the football down our throats!!! Don't you folks know it is the HC who has a BIG influence on the coaching staff??? Without Gary Anderson, you don't have a Dave Aranda being a better D-Coordinator. Dick Tomey mentioned at the start of the season that Gary Anderson simplified things for Aranda. McMackin was never a good D-Coordinator - if he were Great he sure wouldn't have come back here after the first time he was June Jones's D-Coordinator - what it meant was you couldn't succeed elsewhere so you came back to Hawaii... Go look up who Gary Anderson is...
I seem to remember some great defenses under both June Jones and McMackin. Gary Anderson hired Aranda when Chow rejected pretty much all of McMackin's staff. I agree that Gary Anderson is a smart head coach. That's why he hired Aranda. I can't say the same for any of Chow's hires just yet. McMackin was the defensive coordinator on a national championship team. In regard to your idea that McMackin was a terrible D-Coordinator, I'd say the Hurricanes, Seahawks, and Red Raiders were in disagreement with this notion.

I just scanned the headlines. Wisconsin steamrolled Bowling Green 68-17 today. I don't think Bowling Green is a bad team. I don't think poorly of its head coach or defensive coordinator. Oh...wait...that's Dino Babers!

quikfeat
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by quikfeat »

Trust me, June & McMackin never played this kind of defense while at Hawaii. It would be shootouts. Dick Tomey also mentioned at the start of the season this is one of the better coaching staffs Hawaii has had in awhile. Naeole who came in in Norm's 2nd year dramatically improved the offensive line-out have Lakalaka gaining 100 yards is a testament to this-I'm sure the book on Hawaii with Woolsey at QB has to be stack the line and make Woolsey beat you passing and Lakalaka our 2nd string RB still goes over a hundred yards so the OL is doing AWESOME!!! To have the Defense playing this well is AMAZING when they are on the field a lot due to Woolsey's inability to sustain drives. There is progress being made folks under Chow-it is showing in a defense that is STOUT against run.

MadCat88
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by MadCat88 »

Exiled wrote:
quikfeat wrote:OK I just read in another post that Higgins may have a broken hand and may be out for the season so IT HAS TO BE GRAHAM NOW and I'd get the Freshmen ready to play and IF ONE OF THE FRESHMEN shows they have what it takes no matter if inexperienced I'd play them if Graham faulters... Freshmen can play - look at Timmy...and he wasn't better than Colt was but he played as a freshman... But GRAHAM HAS TO START NOW and see what he can do - the Mountain West Schedule hasn't started yet... If not, play a freshman!!!
Totally agree with this. With the bye, Graham can get a good number of reps in.

I just hope the defense will remain accountable for their side of the ball. It sucks how they get put in such poor positions every game. The special teams as well. UH is 2/3 of the way to being good. Now if Graham can manage the game well, this team will win several games left on its schedule.
I for one understand that Coach Chow can only work with what he's got... this ain't fantasy football. *(consider us lucky ~ U of Conn got only ONE QB on the roster now). I also understand it takes real game time to develop QBs... and sometimes a Coach has to make the tough decision to STICK with a struggling QB... BUT, it does appear Woolsey just isn't "getting it" (can't place all the blame on the receivers); note that he did get pulled for apparently that reason against Colorado. I agree with Quikfeat in that if they are going to switch QBs ~ 4 games in and prior to Conference play ~ now is the time to do it. Graham is seasoned, and throws a nice ball. Can't teach height, which is an advantage. He needs to take the bulk of the reps going into the Bye. I think with the improved O-line, he should do better than he did last year, prior to getting injured. Maybe giving Woolsey time on the sideline, and occasional snaps will improve his mental game. But right now ~ winning games should be the focus... and with the rest of the team doing more than it's part in keeping the games competitive, now is the time to get the QB & WRs to produce.