This team does not suck

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

This team does not suck

Post by J-Rod »

Colorado State was 2013's surprise MW team...UH can be 2014's. Sad they couldn't pull it out tonight, but that was much better than I expected. Time to rally behind this team.

browndog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: This team does not suck

Post by browndog »

+1

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

+2. That was the most "real" football game I've been to in a while. Hopefully we can go 2-1 against the PAC 12.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

I agree but I remember that we looked good the first game in the past two years then things went downhill. I hope this year we keep improving. I think we have the talent to go bowling. Hope to see more speed in the slot though, to stretch the middle of the field.
ImageImage

season ticket holder
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by season ticket holder »

This team really ain't that good either.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

Then don't watch them. They played a hell of a game and deserves support. This team continues to improve. They are better then our last four teams. And the building blocks are there for a better team in 2015. But, yes, this team does need to continue to improve.

Haynr8dr
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NBA: Boston Celtics
NFL: Oakland RAIDERS!

Post by Haynr8dr »

The team represented admirably.

They certainly caught my attention.

I can't make Oregon St., but I'll more-likely be at the next game - whoever that is.

seasider
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by seasider »

Season ticket holders are diehard fans, you definitely is not a season ticket holder.

season ticket holder
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by season ticket holder »

Supporting them and being realistic are two very different things. I see improvements from last season, but I also see a lot of the same stuff that made us one of the worst in college football.

Sorry if I want my team to be better than almost beating another team that isn't that good either.

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

Next week's game against Oregon State will be a better measuring stick. Washington, with it's new coach and QB will only get better, but their first game with a new playbook was wobbly.

Oregon State, however, may not be all that good, either. Just more seasoned.
In the first half against Portland State they had 10 penalties to 1.

Oregon State had run 37 plays to Portland State’s 27 and had a 285-175 yard advantage at half time but was down 13-14.
Ultimately, they won 29-14 and their defense shut Portland State down in the second half. Oregon, however, amassed 13 penalties along the way. The Warriors should study the game and see how they can encourage more of that next week.

Passing wise, their QB didn't seem any better than ours. 26 of 45... but got a lot better mileage from those 26 at 12.6 yards per completion vs Ikaika's 9. It may just be that their secondary receivers are better in getting open faster.

This should be a very interesting game. Hopefully Afusia and Shigematsu return healthy.

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

oldhawaiiguy
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by oldhawaiiguy »

The offense has no playbook beyond Iosefa unless they don't trust the QB to throw a decent pass.

Ugly game to watch.

MadCat88
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by MadCat88 »

I was also disappointed they couldn't pull off a "w"... so darn close on a number of plays; any of which could of swung the game hard against Washington. BUT!!!... overall I was very impressed. They looked strong and tough, and STAYED in the game till the end. That alone is a very good sign of things to come. No ADJUSTMENTS to the starting personnel is needed moving forward ~ the coaches got the right players in there IMHO. The Play Calling on offense was "interesting" to say the least... but what this team showed was an ability to think outside box; but yet can still run it's bread & butter plays efficiently enough (against a team with top notch VETERAN players in it's front seven, and very fast and talented {but green} secondary). Mental toughness and FOCUS development should be a priority in practice ~ going into the next few games. Even though it was only the 1st game of the season for Washington ~ they are still a Petersen coached team, and would expect them to execute REASONABLY well with the players on their roster. The Bows Defense played lights out for the majority of the game ~ with few errors (a few that did cost them a bit dearly). That is a very good sign of things to come too ~ mental errors & mistakes can be FIXED; lack of physically able and talented players cannot be so easily fixed. Now that the coaches have game speed and tempo video ~ real world problems with individual players can be addressed and corrected. The Oregon St. game will be a far better barometer of just how well this team has improved since last season for us Fans (and for the players & coaches). I'm very optimistic... this team absolutely does NOT suck!!! :hello1:

hawaiianbeaver
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by hawaiianbeaver »

Aloha from the Beaver State!
Wish UH could have beaten the dogs. That would have shut them up for the rest of the year. I was very surprised that UH hung tough vs. a Pac-12 school given the fact that Warrior Nation was soooooo down on this season. Wish you guys all the luck.....except the game on Sept 6th. LOL!
All things considered, let me opined my thoughts on this weekend's game. UH MUST be able to throw downfield in order to beat OSU. Don't be fooled into thinking that the Beavs will be just a middle of the pack Pac-12 team this year. I believe the team honestly feels like a Pac-12 championship is within reach. This is a senior lead team in key position and the guys honestly feel like this is the year.
The game vs. PSU should not have been that close. OSU committed 13 plus penalties for 100plus yds. And most of them were at crucial times when it really mattered. PSU ran quite effectively the first half but was stuffed the second half. OSU dared PSU to throw the ball downfield and frankly, they just could not do that due in part to a poor throwing PSU QB. If UH cannot throw the football and stretch the field, it will be a long game for the Warriors. OSU's LB are all seniors and will contain the QB if he runs. And OSU will stack the box and dare UH to throw downfield.
Also OSU uses the TE very effectively in the passing game. We have used a 3 TE sets quite effectively and this has created either a running or passing play to the TE so look for that too.
This should be an interesting game for both teams. It will and should determine how both teams do the rest of the year. I think OSU will improve and make huge steps in this game. As a Warrior fan, don't think that the Beavs will come to the islands exhibiting any of the flaws that the team displayed in the PSU game.

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HawaiianHogster »

UH definitely is a different team than last year. I could tell as soon as as I saw them during the walk-through into the stadium. They were leaner, stronger and meaner looking. They had that eye of the tiger look in their eyes. They had the chance to win this one. They could have won by a couple TD's had things gone their way. We all saw the mistakes which are correctable.

This is a promising year. As long as they continue to improve and want it bad enough they WILL go bowling.

I was rooting hard for them to win one for themselves. They deserve to win. They owe it to themselves. They will win very, very soon.
“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by st808 »

the first week of spring practice, i noticed a tired defense making mistake after mistake. the defense has improved its conditioning big time. they were able to hang with the washington no-huddle and hold them scoreless for the second half. of course, with hawaii's offense executing 97 plays, it helps rest the warrior defense.

during the game, woolsey appeared to develop a new game speed for his passes. seemed that the ball was fired from a rifle on some timing passes just as the receivers broke free and turned to the ball. it looked like the receivers did not expect the ball to be as close to them when they made their turn to the ball resulting in some drops. if ikaika can throw the ball like that in practice the receivers will have a chance to get used to this newly developed delivery speed.

hawaii's o-line and d-line held their own against the larger washington lines. the warrior nose guards took on the center and a guard several times allowing the linebackers a better line into the backfield action.

mac never got the entire team to buy into the physical stamina, mental toughness, and commitment to execution. too many times, players were slow to coverage or to their assignments. chow's coaches have moved the entire team to be dedicated to stamina, mental awareness and executing at a faster stronger level.

this year, the team will be around for all four quarters and then some.

this team wants and expects to win. when they hate losing more than they want to win, they will be an even more exciting team.