2014 fall camp schedule & practice reports

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

2014 fall camp schedule & practice reports

Post by st808 »

u.h. h-mail released the fall camp schedule for the football team.

Fall Camp Schedule
Aug. 4 - 2:15 p.m.
Aug. 5 - 2:15 p.m.
Aug. 6 - 2:15 p.m.
Aug. 7 - 2:15 p.m.
Aug. 8 - 2:15 p.m.
Aug. 9 - 10:15 a.m./4:50 p.m.
Aug. 11 - 2:15 p.m.
Aug. 12 - 2:15 p.m.
Aug. 13 - 2:15 p.m.
Aug. 14 - 10:15 a.m./4:50 p.m.
Aug. 15 - 2:15 p.m.
Aug. 16 - 10:15 a.m./4:50 p.m.
Aug. 18 - 10:15 a.m./4:50 p.m.
Aug. 19 - 2:35 p.m.
Aug. 20 - 10:20 a.m./4:30 p.m.
Aug. 21 - 2:35 p.m.
Aug. 22 - 2:35 p.m.
Aug. 23 - 4:05 p.m.

don't think i will get to these practices. sure would be nice to see the new recruits in action.

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Re: 2014 fall camp schedule released

Post by ubercow »

thanks for the list. will probably try to take shots at one of the weekday 4:50 practices.

tom-WarriorNation
Play Maker
Play Maker

Where are the practice reports?

Post by tom-WarriorNation »

I am dying to read them!
WE BELIEVE! GO WARRIORS! Let us grow this Warrior Nation.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Re: Where are the practice reports?

Post by EITSwarrior »

Usually I would go, but kinda busy preparing for these two storms coming in.

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

From Scout.com
Contributed by Ayywhole...

Re: UH Football Fall Camp Thread
Just came back from practice. Offense looked better and more crisp. The injury to Stubblefield have caused more movements. At the right side its Pedroza, Donyeh Patterson and Duke Bukowski in that order. On the left, its Kemp, Barker and Josey. Look like the freshmen will get a chance to show their stuff. OL still the same with Clarke, Tupai, Afusia, Allen and Waa. Second unit was Shigematsu, Rasmussen, Kaiwi Chung, RJ Hollis and Frank Loyld. Don't know what happened to Dave Lefotu. Nowhere to be seen.
Defense 1st Unit was Yap, Samia, Tuimasealii, Castro, Garcia Williams, Gener, Poti, Henderson, Jackson, Maggitt and Philips.
Eye opening player of the day have to be Keelen Ewaliko. Dude was playing lights out. Catching everything thrown his way and showing a burst after catching the ball. For someone who never played receiver before, I think this young man have the potential to do good things. He is athletic, he is strong and he is fast. He just need to learn how to a complete receiver. He ran with the first team cause Harding was wearing a yellow jersey and was not to be hit or tackled. Dude also laid a couple of big blocks on rb swing passes out of the backfield. I am excited about Keelen's future.
Also noted that Chow/Wynn is moving Jordan Puu-Robinson all over the place trying to get mismatches. One play, Puu-Robinson lined up wide with Patterson inside him and Moleni inside Patterson. On another play, the had Moleni at TE with Kemp on the outside and Puu-Robinson slotted inside of Kemp. Lots of different formation and of different wrinkles from the 1st practice I went to.
Taylor Graham also had a good day. Putting the ball on the money and making good decisions. If the season was to start today, Taylor Graham would be 2nd string no doubt.
Actually I'm enjoying the practices. I like the different formations and running a boatload of different plays. JJ's practices in the past were pretty boring in that they did the same thing over and over again. This offense looks more entertaining. Of course if we entertaining and lose, then its not a good thing but at least we not going to bore the fans to death by running up the gut 3 times and then punting.....LOL

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=219&f=11 ... 025791&p=3

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

WR corp definitely looks physically smaller and less imposing than last season......after losing Kirkwood and Haynes. Only Kemp and Barker have that height.

Whatever he did or didn't do, the punishment drills performed the whole morning practice session by senior OG Dave Lefotu were definitely "old school".......on a hot and humid day.......with several trainers paying close attention. Looks like the hot humid weather also got to Taz Stevenson......who ended up observing practice.

Looks as though St. Juste tweaked his right hammy. Good thing that UH brought in Small to compete at RB.....since he's the only other RB besides St. Juste that looks to have any burst of quickness.

Meanwhile Hollis lined with 1s at RG this morning......instead of Tupai.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

kapakahi wrote:WR corp definitely looks physically smaller and less imposing than last season......after losing Kirkwood and Haynes. Only Kemp and Barker have that height.
Actually we have overall taller receivers than last season..

Receivers from last season, no longer here:
Cecil Doe 6'4" - Graduated (mostly a scout team player)
Keith Kirkwood 6'3" - Transfer
Kwamane Bowens 6'1" - Transfer
Chris Gant 6'0" - Graduated
Billy Ray Stutzman 6'0" - Graduated
Bubba Poueu-Luna 5'11" - Retire
Allen Samson 5'7" - Transfer

Receivers we gained this season:
Ammon Barker 6'4"
Darian Josey 6'2"
Quinton Pedroza 6'2"
Terrance Sayles 6'2"
Andrew Ho 6'1" (JC Transfer, starting practice this week)
Don'Yeh Patterson 6'0"
Frank Abreu 6'0"
Keelan Ewaliko 5'11"

Returning Receivers:
Marcus Kemp 6'4"
Duke Bukoski 6'0"
Ryan Pasoquen 6'0"
Scott Harding 5'11"
Samson Anguay 5'7"
Donnie King 5'7"

Receivers Lost for the season
Vasquez Haynes 6'2" - Injured, out for the season
Devan Stubblefield 6'0" - Injured, out for the season

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: 2014 fall camp schedule & practice reports

Post by TheDuke »

Well I got my football fix. My first practice in a year. Sat 10:20

First observations: 1. Love what they did with the Ching Complex. 2. I didn't know that the Men's Tennis team won the Big West Championship last season, the banner is hung on the tennis courts. 3. Overall the team is bigger and faster. Trivia. I ran into Kurt Gouveia and he is excited about the season.....he said he can't wait for it to start.

Whistle blows and there is enthusiasm on the part of the players and everyone springs into action. Demarest keeps shouting "do it right 100%' over and over.
Fielding punts are Pedroza (he has great size), Daniel Lewis, Jerrell Jackson, Nick Nelson, Scott Harding and Donnie King Jr.

Only one yellow jersey (good news), Shigematsu on the bike and off on the side suited up and working out but not participating in the practice is Danny Mulanga, Penetito Faalologo, Calen Friel and David Manoa.

Defense is on offense running against the O playing defense. D runs a lap so the O that played D must have won.

The Oline is doing agility drills, good leg action. Impressive with the quickness.

QBs and RBs practicing handoffs on running drills.

Everyone looks in shape.

Song playing on the sound system is "Fans that make a Damn"

Clune is coaching the LBs. Left jab/punch to the chest and a power slap on the right arm of the sled.

Punt drills...saw a fake punt play.

RB drill. Wayne Moses with a long stick with a punching glove, four hard jabs at the ball cradled by each RB to make sure it is secured before a running drill. Very hard pounding at the ball.

QBs passing to WRs.......saw only one drop. Not too many bad throws by all the QBs. A lot less then what I've seen in other practices throughout the JJ and Coach Mac practices.

O versus D, 3 on 3 passing. The passes were on target with a very high completion rate. Tough drill for DBs in man coverage with no pass rush.

Kick coverage drill.

Oline working on blocking technique

DL working on technique against the run.

QBs working on footwork.

Demarest yelling over and over..............."Hold yourself accountable"

4 O versus 8 D. Woolsey and Graham played well. Woolsey had one drop and completed the rest, Graham completed everything. Higgins did not do well. Some highlights: Woolsey nice 2o yarder down the middle. Graham long pass, interference. Great grab by Pedroza. 1st team and 2nd team receivers were consistently getting open.

11 on 11. Oline 1st Lloyd Jr.,Lefotu,Afusia,Waa,Clark
2nd Hollis,Rasmussen, Chung, Allen,Kolomatangi

The O moved the ball well. A big brawl. People jumping in. It didn't look like the coaches were doing much to stop it. It looked to me that they wanted to let the players blow off some steam. Maggit made a solid hit. Woolsey made a nice run on an option - TD. Graham made a long pass TD.

Saw some interesting names on D: Shawley, Tulimaiau, Unga along with Yap, Latimua, Garcia-Williams, Daniel Lewis, Terrell Jackson, Ne'Quan Philips and Nick Nelson.

just my opinion but the O had a better day. At this stage of the fall practice the O did impress me. They looked pretty sharp.

The 11 on 11 ends and the O and the D exchange handshakes.

There was a lot going on and I know I missed a lot.

I focused my time on the QBs, receivers and safties because I view those areas as key positions for 2014 and where we need the most help/improvement.

Ran into Gouvea as I was leaving and he said, "so what do you think." I just said that I could see the improvement and he just smiled and said "see you again later this year brudah."

I walked by Marcus Fairchild, 6'3, 230 Freshman LB, Matuisela Unga, 6'5, 250, Freshman DE, Calen Friel, 6'2, 320, Jr DT and I said to meyself damn these guys are big.

I'll try to get in another practice.

GO WARRIORS!!!

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

Thanks! I was getting a little mad at the lack of practice reports but I guess not much more else can be said that hasn't already been said.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

Monday 10:15

Pretty much the same format. Lots of agility and technique sessions for every position.

Kick coverage was very vocal (Demarest).

What I did notice was a lot of shuffling of LBs, DEs, DBs and OL. That means we have a lot of competition and a lot of players getting into the mix. You will see a lot of different people playing based on situation. DE is shoring up with run stoppers and pass rushers. I'd say there are at least 8-10 LBs in the mix and 6-8 DBs in the mix.

QBs have performed much better then they have the last three years. I like the first three better then the first three under coach Mac's three years. All three are more accurate and more consistent. I still don't know how they will perform when the lights go on but there is more movement and they are throwing the long ball better.

There was a lot of focus on the running game and Saint Juste broke off some nice runs. Saw a pistol. Saw a fly that was stuffed by Poti (good hit). Garcia-Williams saw a lot of playing time on multiple units. Lakalaka is being counted on. Also a one man line on D with everyone else in a standing position.

Overall it seems like we have a lot more depth, a lot more talent, a lot more players in the mix and you will see a lot of different looks with different personnel especially on D. The QBs look a lot sharper then previous years and the offense moved the ball more consistently.

I think this group of players are shaping up nicely and they are only two weeks into things.

I hope the community gives these guys the support that they deserve.