Makana
Starter
Starter
MLB: San Francisco Giants
NBA: The Bay Warriors
NFL: San Francisco 49ers

Re: UH Quarterback on Defense?

Post by Makana »

Like I've said before, if UH ran the Read-Option, I'm sure Ewaliko would probably be a top 3 QB on the team.

But mobility in a QB or a QB that just scrambles can some times hurt the offense by not utilizing the talent around him. This is why I always preferred a pocket-passer, having all the pieces in an offense looks much better than a QB pulling it down and always taking off. Besides, less chances of a QB getting injured when you have a pocket-passer, IMO.
“Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere.”
― Albert Einstein

“Jiu-Jitsu is like a philosophy. It helps me learn how to face life.”
-Helio Gracie

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Makana
Starter
Starter

Post by Makana »

Optimus wrote:Those are some nice numbers, but here are some senior year number for some QB's of recent, as gotten from their UH Bio
Justin Alo: 60.8% for 2,534 yards and 18 TDs
Sean Schroeder: 175-of-267 66% for 2,826 yards and 31 TD
Jeremy Higgins: 2,457 yards and 27 TDs
Ikaika Woolsey: 137-of-225 61% for 2,492 yards and 36 TDs
Aaron Zwahlen: 244-of-379 64% for 3,852 yards and 49 TDs

Don't get us wrong. I bet 99.99999% of those here are excited about Keelan being a Warrior and are waiting for him to take the field, but he wasn't recruited to be a QB
Speaking of Zwahlen, when is he gonna join the team?? I'm pretty excited to see what he can do. He is still with the team right??

Good little video of him here:

Link

And here:

Link
― Albert Einstein

-Helio Gracie

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

dcwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by dcwarrior »

Notice that JJ, then Mack/Rolo started emphasizing mobility in their QBs. I thought that was weird, for sure they'd want a pocket passer, especially since JJ trained Chang to scramble with eyes up and tiptoe up to the line of scrimmage looking for someone to throw to downfield, even with no defender in front of him.

But in reading on how teams defend the RNS, the biggest thing was, the zone blitz. That may be why our OL seemed to look worse and worse as time went on. The counter to the zone blitz is, of course, a running QB who can escape pursuit from one side and take advantage of the lane created when a rusher drops back into coverage.

The irony is this - apparently, one of the things that kept Schroeder (a pocket passer) from being completely obliterated last year (as opposed to being mostly obliterated as he was) was that Chow would occasionally use an option/play-action concept to make the defense pause before coming after him.
Makana wrote:Like I've said before, if UH ran the Read-Option, I'm sure Ewaliko would probably be a top 3 QB on the team.

But mobility in a QB or a QB that just scrambles can some times hurt the offense by not utilizing the talent around him. This is why I always preferred a pocket-passer, having all the pieces in an offense looks much better than a QB pulling it down and always taking off. Besides, less chances of a QB getting injured when you have a pocket-passer, IMO.
Substance matters.

Makana
Starter
Starter

Post by Makana »

dcwarrior wrote:Notice that JJ, then Mack/Rolo started emphasizing mobility in their QBs. I thought that was weird, for sure they'd want a pocket passer, especially since JJ trained Chang to scramble with eyes up and tiptoe up to the line of scrimmage looking for someone to throw to downfield, even with no defender in front of him.

But in reading on how teams defend the RNS, the biggest thing was, the zone blitz. That may be why our OL seemed to look worse and worse as time went on. The counter to the zone blitz is, of course, a running QB who can escape pursuit from one side and take advantage of the lane created when a rusher drops back into coverage.

The irony is this - apparently, one of the things that kept Schroeder (a pocket passer) from being completely obliterated last year (as opposed to being mostly obliterated as he was) was that Chow would occasionally use an option/play-action concept to make the defense pause before coming after him.
Makana wrote:Like I've said before, if UH ran the Read-Option, I'm sure Ewaliko would probably be a top 3 QB on the team.

Maybe I worded that wrong a little, but I'm talking about a QB that just tucks and runs ala Tim Tebow. Steve Young was a player that went through his progressions before pulling it down and taking it to the house, that's the kind of QB I'd rather see, same thing in Colin Kaepernick. QB's that tuck and run can sometimes make poor decisions and possibly injure himself. Chow needs to do more than just use an option play here and there, what about utilizing a Fullback or split-backs outta the back field like the WCO is known for. How about using your speed in Diocemy Saint-Juste and throwing him a screen to keep the defense honest. Things I'd like to see more than option plays. Those were good ways of bailing out Jeff Garcia when things weren't open or when plays broke down.
― Albert Einstein

-Helio Gracie

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

wailukuwarriorfan
Starter
Starter

Post by wailukuwarriorfan »

Why would you not employ a mobile quarterback if you had one on your roster? It just provides the offense with an added dimension for the defense to have to defend against, which then creates opportunities for the pass.

Your assumptions make it sound like it has to be one or the other, a pocket-passer or a QB that scrambles. If executed properly, it would be a Quarterback that ran the offense, except would have the ability to extend plays when the pocket collapses or when the defense blitzes.

Makana
Starter
Starter

Post by Makana »

wailukuwarriorfan wrote:

Why would you not employ a mobile quarterback if you had one on your roster? It just provides the offense with an added dimension for the defense to have to defend against, which then creates opportunities for the pass.

Your assumptions make it sound like it has to be one or the other, a pocket-passer or a QB that scrambles. If executed properly, it would be a Quarterback that ran the offense, except would have the ability to extend plays when the pocket collapses or when the defense blitzes.
Well for one, if a certain QB doesn't fit into what you're building on offense, why change your offense?? You say it's an added dimension, I say it's more of a risk to put your QB out there in space and risk injury. What happens when your QB goes down due to a hamstring or ACL injury (ala Michael Vick), what QB do you have in back of him that could execute your offense the same as your starter?? Shoot, your starter is out, now the O-line has to adjust to your back up, which would then change the offense. I think it all comes down to different philosophy on offense, whether your an aggressive head coach like June Jones was or a conservative one like Steve Marriucci was for the 49ers??

My assumption?? I think it was more my preference in a QB, cause right now I'm just fine with Colin Kaepernick as the starting QB for the 49ers, who had 10,000 yards in passing and 4,000 yard in rushing in his college career. But if Kap goes down, who's to run the offense behind him with that killer instinct, no one. The offense would change to a more conservative style with a lot more run plays called to take pressure off the back up. That's the risk Harbaugh and the 9ers are taking, but I have confidence in Harbaugh either way, besides he's proved it with Alex Smith too, I can't say the same for Chow if.

Another thing, let me ask you this, if the pocket collapses, defenses are jail breaking all out blitzes, you would rather have a QB run for his life than to know where the hot reads are or knowing where to go with the ball?? QB's that know how to read a defense and make pre-snap adjustments don't need to scramble.
― Albert Einstein

-Helio Gracie

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Makana wrote:
Well for one, if a certain QB doesn't fit into what you're building on offense, why change your offense?? You say it's an added dimension, I say it's more of a risk to put your QB out there in space and risk injury. What happens when your QB goes down due to a hamstring or ACL injury (ala Michael Vick), what QB do you have in back of him that could execute your offense the same as your starter?? Shoot, your starter is out, now the O-line has to adjust to your back up, which would then change the offense. I think it all comes down to different philosophy on offense, whether your an aggressive head coach like June Jones was or a conservative one like Steve Marriucci was for the 49ers??

My assumption?? I think it was more my preference in a QB, cause right now I'm just fine with Colin Kaepernick as the starting QB for the 49ers, who had 10,000 yards in passing and 4,000 yard in rushing in his college career. But if Kap goes down, who's to run the offense behind him with that killer instinct, no one. The offense would change to a more conservative style with a lot more run plays called to take pressure off the back up. That's the risk Harbaugh and the 9ers are taking, but I have confidence in Harbaugh either way, besides he's proved it with Alex Smith too, I can't say the same for Chow if.
Whaaaa?!!!!
Dude, you gotta go back to the 49er forum.

wailukuwarriorfan
Starter
Starter

Makana wrote:

Another thing, let me ask you this, if the pocket collapses, defenses are jail breaking all out blitzes, you would rather have a QB run for his life than to know where the hot reads are or knowing where to go with the ball?? QB's that know how to read a defense and make pre-snap adjustments don't need to scramble.
Colin Kaepernick is a mobile Quarterback, so is Russell Wilson and also Heisman Trophy winner Johnny Manziel. The game is changing. . .

You play the Quarterback that gives you the best chance at winning the football game and you recruit for depth at the position. A successful Coach should make adjustments to allow his team to win.

When the pocket collapses, or defenses are blitzing, your Quarterback should know where all his reads are. But there are situations where a play breaks down due to missed assignments, or adjustments on defense, what then? Take the hit for a loss? Or make a play out of a busted play with play-making ability? Would you rather be in a third and long situation or a first down, due the the play-making ability of a mobile Quarterback? Which situation was most familiar in the last two seasons?

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

The game has not changed for NFL QB'S. Ten or so years ago Michael Vick was ballyhooed as the run-pass QB who would change the NFL...what happened....Yeah,ten years later and Vick has been beaten up and has no NFL title rings.
He was a 1-percenter in college...but when you go to the NFL...everyone,defense included is a 1-percenter.

Here is the thing...Vick,even now around 30,is still faster than Kaepernck,Wilson...Wilson has a NFL ring because he is surrounded by a lot of good players...and Wilson passes a lot more than he throws,,,just the nature of the NFL beast.

Ewaliko is a proven run-pass threat in high school,but for him the game has changed...every defensive player he faces in college was an all-star somewhere just like he was.

I just think that the further a player goes in the game,he has to be able to physically handle the competition the matches his abilities...and at some point...even star players get overmatched...mostly in high school,most college players,and even eventually lots of NFL guys who can't measure up against the competition

I guess my question is ...that if this run-pass threat at QB is making all these plays in practices and staying heatlhy...why isn'T Chow got him at number 1 on the depth chart?

Makana
Starter
Starter

Post by Makana »

wailukuwarriorfan wrote:
Makana wrote:

Colin Kaepernick is a mobile Quarterback, so is Russell Wilson and also Heisman Trophy winner Johnny Manziel. The game is changing. . .

You play the Quarterback that gives you the best chance at winning the football game and you recruit for depth at the position. A successful Coach should make adjustments to allow his team to win.

When the pocket collapses, or defenses are blitzing, your Quarterback should know where all his reads are. But there are situations where a play breaks down due to missed assignments, or adjustments on defense, what then? Take the hit for a loss? Or make a play out of a busted play with play-making ability? Would you rather be in a third and long situation or a first down, due the the play-making ability of a mobile Quarterback? Which situation was most familiar in the last two seasons?
Kap and Wilson and Manziel yes are mobile QB's, I've also stated that. But for one, both Kap and Wilson go through their progressions before making a move. As for Manziel aside from his off field actions, I'm one of the few that thinks his game won't transition well at the next level. I think if Manziel continues to run like he did in college, in the NFL his career won't be a long one or I think he'll develop a case of the injury bug. But if you watch Manziel you'd see that Mike Evans bails him out from a lot of bad passes, not to mention Evans is one of the best redzone targets. Manziel also doesn't protect the ball very well on the run, hope he fixes that cause defenses will light his a$$ up.

Sure there's gonna be times when plays breakdown or misalignment's and what not, not every play is gonna go your way no matter what level. But a QB that reads a defense well, will have a much better chance than one that just makes one read and takes off with the ball, again, ask Michael Vick about that. Also, how are you gonna let the O-line do it's job and pass-block for you?? And I'm not sure you know this but a QB's drop back whether it's 3, 5, or a 7 step drop (hitch or no hitch) coordinates with a receivers route (well at least for the WCO it does), how are you gonna let the play develop if you're just thinking about taking off??

And getting back to Ewaliko, I see no one answered my question or questions about him a couple pages back. I asked if anyone has watched him and so on....

Tell me this, there's over 100 schools out there, why hasn't anyone recruited him as a QB or even Chow for that matter??
― Albert Einstein

-Helio Gracie

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

wailukuwarriorfan
Starter
Starter

unpaid wrote:The game has not changed for NFL QB'S. Ten or so years ago Michael Vick was ballyhooed as the run-pass QB who would change the NFL...what happened....Yeah,ten years later and Vick has been beaten up and has no NFL title rings.
He was a 1-percenter in college...but when you go to the NFL...everyone,defense included is a 1-percenter.

Here is the thing...Vick,even now around 30,is still faster than Kaepernck,Wilson...Wilson has a NFL ring because he is surrounded by a lot of good players...and Wilson passes a lot more than he throws,,,just the nature of the NFL beast.

Ewaliko is a proven run-pass threat in high school,but for him the game has changed...every defensive player he faces in college was an all-star somewhere just like he was.

I just think that the further a player goes in the game,he has to be able to physically handle the competition the matches his abilities...and at some point...even star players get overmatched...mostly in high school,most college players,and even eventually lots of NFL guys who can't measure up against the competition

I guess my question is ...that if this run-pass threat at QB is making all these plays in practices and staying heatlhy...why isn'T Chow got him at number 1 on the depth chart?
He's not at Quarterback. They had him on defense at safety last year as a redshirt and are trying him at running back this year.

wailukuwarriorfan
Starter
Starter

Makana wrote:
Kap and Wilson and Manziel yes are mobile QB's, I've also stated that. But for one, both Kap and Wilson go through their progressions before making a move. As for Manziel aside from his off field actions, I'm one of the few that thinks his game won't transition well at the next level. I think if Manziel continues to run like he did in college, in the NFL his career won't be a long one or I think he'll develop a case of the injury bug. But if you watch Manziel you'd see that Mike Evans bails him out from a lot of bad passes, not to mention Evans is one of the best redzone targets. Manziel also doesn't protect the ball very well on the run, hope he fixes that cause defenses will light his a$$ up.

Sure there's gonna be times when plays breakdown or misalignment's and what not, not every play is gonna go your way no matter what level. But a QB that reads a defense well, will have a much better chance than one that just makes one read and takes off with the ball, again, ask Michael Vick about that. Also, how are you gonna let the O-line do it's job and pass-block for you?? And I'm not sure you know this but a QB's drop back whether it's 3, 5, or a 7 step drop (hitch or no hitch) coordinates with a receivers route (well at least for the WCO it does), how are you gonna let the play develop if you're just thinking about taking off??

And getting back to Ewaliko, I see no one answered my question or questions about him a couple pages back. I asked if anyone has watched him and so on....

Tell me this, there's over 100 schools out there, why hasn't anyone recruited him as a QB or even Chow for that matter??
You keep assuming that a mobile Quarterback will not go through his progression of reads. Just because someone has the ability to make a play out of a busted play, does not mean he is unable to go through his read progression.

To answer your question, I did watch him play in high school. During States, opposing teams assigned two spies to contain him, which usually left someone open.

Lastly, because he committed early to UH and stayed committed, why would you assume no one recruited him as a Quarterback? And for Coach Chow, he is always looking for that tall, drop back passer. David Graves never even made it to the field, even after being voted team leader by the players.

Optimus
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Optimus »

PLEASE, let's put the David Graves issue to rest, it's 2014... Move on..
You keep bringing up last year's 1 win season, but the offense was good enough to win 6 games last year.
It was the defense that as the problem

Makana
Starter
Starter

Post by Makana »

wailukuwarriorfan wrote:
Makana wrote:

You keep assuming that a mobile Quarterback will not go through his progression of reads. Just because someone has the ability to make a play out of a busted play, does not mean he is unable to go through his read progression.

To answer your question, I did watch him play in high school. During States, opposing teams assigned two spies to contain him, which usually left someone open.

Lastly, because he committed early to UH and stayed committed, why would you assume no one recruited him as a Quarterback? And for Coach Chow, he is always looking for that tall, drop back passer. David Graves never even made it to the field, even after being voted team leader by the players.
Where did I say a mobile QB would not or could not go through his progressions?? Could've sworn I've been saying this:
But a QB that reads a defense well, will have a much better chance than one that just makes one read and takes off with the ball, again, ask Michael Vick about that.
Both Kap and Wilson are mobile QB's that go through their progressions or can read a defense. I don't see it in Manziel or when I've watched Youtube clips of Ewaliko, I don't see it in him either. Sure Youtube clips don't tell the whole story of a career but it kind of gives you an idea of how a QB is in the pocket.

And from what I've read and heard, I didn't see any school recruit Ewaliko as a QB. But if I'm wrong no problem, it wouldn't be the first time. But if you know he was recruited as a QB post a link or whatever, no need to add to my assumption.

Also wasn't asking how defenses game planned for him, I was asking about the type of offense he ran in high school, but by the looks of it, it seemed like he ran a Spread.

Not so sure why you bring up David Graves, for one he wasn't recruited by Chow and wasn't that much bigger than Ewaliko either. But David Graves, actually played if you remember in 2011 he saw the field in 6 games passing for 768 yards and 5 TDs in a Run-n-Shoot offense.
― Albert Einstein

-Helio Gracie

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

SM96753
All-conference
All-conference

Post by SM96753 »

Makana wrote: And from what I've read and heard, I didn't see any school recruit Ewaliko as a QB. But if I'm wrong no problem, it wouldn't be the first time. But if you know he was recruited as a QB post a link or whatever, no need to add to my assumption.
Great point Makana!

wailukuwarriorfan, why wasn't Ewaliko recruited to play quarterback? Not even by a D2 or NAIA school? Well, I'll tell you why.......because he's not very good at the position! His arm is NOT his strength!

Are you his aunt or uncle? A relative perhaps?