Re: UH Quarterback on Defense?

Post by tavarua88 »

this thread is hilarious, but I guess losing will do that to programs

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

I have always thought that Ewaliko would be a good replacement for Scott Harding. I would have Harding tutor him. This is Scott's last year. Keelan is the one player on the team who I think could do it and may end up doing it better. His ability to throw the ball would give teams more to think about. He is the kind of player you design plays for. His playmaking ability is his greatest asset.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

SM96753
All-conference
All-conference

Post by SM96753 »

wailukuwarriorfan wrote:
SM96753 wrote:
66% in an extremely weak MIL. Don't get me wrong wailukuwarriorfan, I'm a Maui guy too but 66% in the MIL the past few years does not say much at all.
66% passing completion rate is completing two out of three passes. What are you expecting? Below are the passing completion percentages for last year's top 10 rated NFL Quarterbacks, with Superbowl Champion Russell Wilson with a 63.1% passing completion.

Imagine what he could do with some Division 1 Quarterback coaching and some reps with the receivers and slots.

1 Nick Foles, QB PHI 64.0%
2 Peyton Manning, QB DEN 68.3%
3 Josh McCown, QB CHI 66.5%
4 Philip Rivers, QB SD 69.5%
5 Aaron Rodgers, QB GB 66.6%
6 Drew Brees, QB NO 68.6%
7 Russell Wilson, QB SEA 63.1%
8 Tony Romo, QB DAL 63.9%
9 Ben Roethlisberger, QB PIT 64.2%
10 Colin Kaepernick, QB SF 58.4%
Are you really comparing MIL completion percentages to those of the NFL? So by your thinking, if the Maui High QB completes 70% of his passes this year, then he should be given a scholarship to a D1 school to play quarterback? Ghee whiz!

What in the world does the Green Bay Packers Aaron Roger's 66.6% have to do with Baldwin's Keelan Ewaliko's 66% in the MIL?

Do you know how many high school QB's complete 66% or higher of their passes across the nation? A crap load! Should they all receive D1 scholarships to play quarterback? Heck, by your statement above, why don't we just send them directly to the NFL!

Sorry, but this is total hometown "fan-ism" at its highest degree.

wailukuwarriorfan
Starter
Starter

Post by wailukuwarriorfan »

SM96753 wrote:
Are you really comparing MIL completion percentages to those of the NFL? So by your thinking, if the Maui High QB completes 70% of his passes this year, then he should be given a scholarship to a D1 school to play quarterback? Ghee whiz!

What in the world does the Green Bay Packers Aaron Roger's 66.6% have to do with Baldwin's Keelan Ewaliko's 66% in the MIL?

Do you know how many high school QB's complete 66% or higher of their passes across the nation? A crap load! Should they all receive D1 scholarships to play quarterback? Heck, by your statement above, why don't we just send them directly to the NFL!

Sorry, but this is total hometown "fan-ism" at its highest degree.
Wow, you first say that his arm is not his strong point. Even with a 66% passing completion percentage, which compares to top NFL Quarterback passing percentages last season. Never mind that he was the fastest track competitor in the State in the 100 and 200, or that he went undefeated with 22 wins as starting Quarterback and leading his team to three league titles in three years and named Offensive Player of the Year three years in a row.

It's total hometown "fan-ism" at its highest degree. I agree, I believe he should be given an opportunity to try out at Quarterback. Can we please let it go now?

Makana
Starter
Starter
MLB: San Francisco Giants
NBA: The Bay Warriors
NFL: San Francisco 49ers

Post by Makana »

Just curious, but are you comparing completion percentages from high school to the NFL???
“Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere.”
― Albert Einstein

“Jiu-Jitsu is like a philosophy. It helps me learn how to face life.”
-Helio Gracie

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

westside.gee
High-quality H20 provider

Post by westside.gee »

Makana wrote:Just curious, but are you comparing completion percentages from high school to the NFL???
Yeah I think WailukuWarrior is saying the kid is better then Tom Brady (61%), coach Chow should be ashamed of himself for not recognizing talent.

wailukuwarriorfan
Starter
Starter

Makana wrote:Just curious, but are you comparing completion percentages from high school to the NFL???
66% completion percentage in high school is 66% passing completion in high school.

66% completion percentage in the NFL is 66% passing completion in the NFL.

66% passing completion is 66% passing completion.

wailukuwarriorfan
Starter
Starter

westside.gee wrote:
Yeah I think WailukuWarrior is saying the kid is better then Tom Brady (61%), coach Chow should be ashamed of himself for not recognizing talent.
Ewaliko's passing completion percentage that year was better than Tom Brady's passing completion percentage of 61% in the NFL. Do the math, 66% IS higher than 61%.

And yes, Coach Chow should consider using the talent he has on the roster to help the team win. You happy with a 1-11 season?

nostra_808
Starter
Starter

Post by nostra_808 »

i don't think anyone is knocking your facts. yes 66% is greater the 61%, by those numbers you are absolutely correct. but your logic, now that is completely off. you think HS stats and NFL stats are comparable on a competitive or skill level?

wailukuwarriorfan
Starter
Starter

nostra_808 wrote:i don't think anyone is knocking your facts. yes 66% is greater the 61%, by those numbers you are absolutely correct. but your logic, now that is completely off. you think HS stats and NFL stats are comparable on a competitive or skill level?
No, I didn't say that. The comparison was relative to the skill level of competition. Ewaliko was playing at high school level football and NFL quarterbacks are playing at NFL level. Based on their respective, competitive skill levels, achieving 66% passing completion was the simple comparison.

Optimus

Post by Optimus »

wailukuwarriorfan wrote:
SM96753 wrote:
No offense but you're kidding yourself if you think Ewaliko's strength is in his arm. His strength is in his legs as you stated above. He's a very good athlete but throwing is not his strong point at all.
He had a passing completion rate of 66% when he was playing healthy. With some Division 1 Quarterback coaching and passing reps, he could probably improve into the 70 percent completion range.
According to his UH Bio
threw for 2,503 career yards (197-of-379) with 36 TDs
That translates 51.98%, could you tell us where you got 66% :-?

wailukuwarriorfan
Starter
Starter

Optimus wrote: According to his UH Bio
According to his UH Bio:

As a junior, became the first player in MIL history to lead the league in rushing (88 carries for 810 yds., with a 9.2 avg./rush, and 12 TD), passing (89-of-135 for 1,060 yds., and 17 TDs) and scoring (72 pts.) in a single season…was a third-team all-state selection and helped the Bears advance to the semifinals of the Division I state tournament….

tavarua88
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by tavarua88 »

wow, you're really intent to go down with the ship. :o
wailukuwarriorfan wrote:
Optimus wrote: According to his UH Bio
According to his UH Bio:

As a junior, became the first player in MIL history to lead the league in rushing (88 carries for 810 yds., with a 9.2 avg./rush, and 12 TD), passing (89-of-135 for 1,060 yds., and 17 TDs) and scoring (72 pts.) in a single season…was a third-team all-state selection and helped the Bears advance to the semifinals of the Division I state tournament….

Optimus

Post by Optimus »

Those are some nice numbers, but here are some senior year number for some QB's of recent, as gotten from their UH Bio
Justin Alo: 60.8% for 2,534 yards and 18 TDs
Sean Schroeder: 175-of-267 66% for 2,826 yards and 31 TD
Jeremy Higgins: 2,457 yards and 27 TDs
Ikaika Woolsey: 137-of-225 61% for 2,492 yards and 36 TDs
Aaron Zwahlen: 244-of-379 64% for 3,852 yards and 49 TDs

Don't get us wrong. I bet 99.99999% of those here are excited about Keelan being a Warrior and are waiting for him to take the field, but he wasn't recruited to be a QB

wailukuwarriorfan
Starter
Starter

Optimus wrote:Those are some nice numbers, but here are some senior year number for some QB's of recent, as gotten from their UH Bio
Justin Alo: 60.8% for 2,534 yards and 18 TDs
Sean Schroeder: 175-of-267 66% for 2,826 yards and 31 TD
Jeremy Higgins: 2,457 yards and 27 TDs
Ikaika Woolsey: 137-of-225 61% for 2,492 yards and 36 TDs
Aaron Zwahlen: 244-of-379 64% for 3,852 yards and 49 TDs

Don't get us wrong. I bet 99.99999% of those here are excited about Keelan being a Warrior and are waiting for him to take the field, but he wasn't recruited to be a QB
Adding Quarterback mobility was the point of the thread, and how it could potentially help the team improve. Having a QB that could use his play making ability when the pocket collapses or improvising for yardage in a blitz by the opposing defense is a challenge we haven't been able to solve successfully during Coach Chow's regime. That is Keelan's strength.
I wonder if things would have been different if David Graves had been given an opportunity at QB two seasons ago . . .

We should just agree to disagree at this point. . . as I said in previous posts, I feel that if the Coaches would give him an opportunity to help where he can be most productive, (with the ball in his hands), we might have a better chance at winning more games.