way too early 2014 defensive goals

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

way too early 2014 defensive goals

Post by st808 »

defensive warrior football stats i would like to see at the end of 2014 season: 13 regular scheduled games, 1 mw championship game, 1 post season bowl game.

stat goals: 2014 total / 2013 totals
ints: 24 / 9
ints return yards: 350 / 85
forced fumbles: 32 / 25
recovered fumbles: 25 / 15
qb sacks: 52 / 26
qb pass complete %: 50% / 59%
avg yards per catch: 8 / 13.6
td passes allowed: 13 / 27
rushing yards per att: 3.7 / 4.4
ttl off pass+rush yards: 4200 / 5936
defense scores: 8 / 1 ?
3rd down conversion: 30% / 41%
total points allowed: 225 / 465

i know, way too early, way too optimistic. plucking numbers from the air. but, this is chow's year to show up. i expect defense to improve on their communication, offensive formation recognition, and position responsibilities as they go to spring game. i expect their conditioning to improve as chow keeps the offense operating at a faster pace.

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Re: way too early 2014 defensive goals

Post by st808 »

if the spring game was any indication of the defense's potential for 2014, some of the defensive stats i'd like to see at the end of 2014 may be realistic.

in the spring game there were:
# . . . stat . . . . . . . . . . # needed per game to make stat goal in 13 games
2 . . . interceptions . . . 1.8
4 . . . fumbles . . . . . . . 2.4
4 . . .fumble rcovr'd . . 1.9
5 . . . sacks . . . . . . . . . 4
1 . . .defense score . . . 0.6

FASBOY'90
Starter
Starter

Post by FASBOY'90 »

I too would love to see our defense reek havoc on opponents. From what I observed during the spring game, the offense made the defense look better than what they really are and I wasn't impressed the blitzing neither.

We currently don't have a QB that can read and release the ball down field consistently and accurately. I saw many open receivers down field that don't get the ball at times. We have very talented receivers, we need a QB. If we had one, the defense would have been stranded on an island. Still need allot of work on D.

I'm crossing my fingers and hoping we put it all together in the fall with the new recruits coming in.

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

FASBOY'90 wrote: Still need allot of work on D.
to be fair, we lost some leadership on D, we switched schemes, and have a brand new DC.

i'd expect us to be pretty sucky just a couple weeks into practice.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

FASBOY'90
Starter
Starter

Post by FASBOY'90 »

xer 21 wrote:
to be fair, we lost some leadership on D, we switched schemes, and have a brand new DC.

+1

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

Numbers are unpredictable....

My hopes and goals...

-I want Tulimasealii to dominate. It is so rare for an elite local recruit to stay home. Not all elite recruits pan out, especially the local ones. I want to see Kennedy take his game to that next level and be the MW's best defensive linemen.

-The secondary has good individual talent. That's not the issue....I hope they improve this fall, preferably a lot. They have the physical gifts to be very good....but they were a fundamental disaster as times in 2013.

-Its been encouraging to read that the defense is hitting a little harder than usual. I want to see the Clune effect come into play. He taught some now famous LBs at Utah State to play well above their abilities. USU does not recruit well by any means....they were very well coached. I want to see an overall improvement under Kevin Clune.

-Stop getting embarrassed. I watched Wyoming get their asses destroyed on offense for weeks....Fresno dominated them. Boise dominated them. Utah State dominated them. Everyone whipped Wyoming after mid-season......except Hawaii, who looked nothing short of pathetic against Smith and that offense. Bottom line: Quit getting embarrassed. Hold your own. Losing is what it is....it happens....but there is no reason the defense should be a given to cough up 50+ multiple times every year.

That is all.

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by xer 21 »

st808 wrote:defensive warrior football stats i would like to see at the end of 2014 season: 13 regular scheduled games, 1 mw championship game, 1 post season bowl game.

i know, way too early, way too optimistic. plucking numbers from the air. but, this is chow's year to show up. i expect defense to improve on their communication, offensive formation recognition, and position responsibilities as they go to spring game. i expect their conditioning to improve as chow keeps the offense operating at a faster pace.

just so you know, those numbers are beyond way too optimistic.

last year, Oregon lead the nation in turnovers.

with 40.

we are not going to pick up 49 turnovers this year.

also, Stanford led the NCAA with 44 sacks last year and their D line is absolutely dominant. 52 is not happening either.

targets.

Optimus
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Optimus »

xer 21 wrote:
Leaders on defense, DE Beau Yap, LB Julian Gener, CB Dee Maggit, Nequan Phillips
Every year new leaders rise up

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

I only have one defensive goal - give up less points than the opponent, i.e., the converse of score more than the opponent.

Makana
Starter
Starter
MLB: San Francisco Giants
NBA: The Bay Warriors
NFL: San Francisco 49ers

Post by Makana »

xer 21 wrote:
st808 wrote:defensive warrior football stats i would like to see at the end of 2014 season: 13 regular scheduled games, 1 mw championship game, 1 post season bowl game.

just so you know, those numbers are beyond way too optimistic.

last year, Oregon lead the nation in turnovers.

with 40.

we are not going to pick up 49 turnovers this year.

also, Stanford led the NCAA with 44 sacks last year and their D line is absolutely dominant. 52 is not happening either.
Gotta agree with you xer, Stanfords D-line or even front-seven is dominant.

Ben Gardner
Josh Mauro
Shane Skov <---- Signed with the 9ers as a UDRFA due to poor workouts and injuries
Trent Murphy <---- My favorite player on that D

Their secondary with Ed Reynolds wasn't bad either, although not the rangy Safety like a Ed Reed, Reynolds is solid in single-high.

But I think Hawaii could be a solid defense this year (maybe not the expectations of st808). But if they stay healthy, I think UH's defense will be one to watch. My players I'm looking forward to:

Marrell Jackson ---- solid deep ball safety, he showed flashes in the USC game last year.

Kennedy Tumasealii (spelling) --- He has shown a quick first step off the snap, most people I talked to see him as a 3-tech DT, IMO I think he's suited best as a 5-tech 2-gap DT. My reason, well I see Kennedy is in the same mold as Glenn Dorsey (ex-KC Chiefs 3-4/DE now with the 49ers), short and stout in stature but can dominate an OT as well as control the B and C gaps. I would also like to see him slide inside on nickel packages, but I'm sure they got that covered.

Moses Samia --- I'm interested in seeing him at NT, will he play 0-tech and control both A-gaps or will he, shoot one and rely on the LB's?? I like Samia, he's in the mold of Sione Pouha IMO, a big boy who plays with good leverage at times. Some might call BS, but if you watch, Samia gasses at times and loses technique and tends to play high, that's why I'd like to see UH have more of a rotation. But, I'm hoping for him to have a really good season at NT, those are real valuable at the next level.

Also, who will step up and be the Ted (SILB) and Mike's (WILB), those are just as important as a NT when running a 3-4. I think they depend on one another.

Well just my two cents, I can't wait for the season!!!
“Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere.”
― Albert Einstein

“Jiu-Jitsu is like a philosophy. It helps me learn how to face life.”
-Helio Gracie

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by xer 21 »

Yeah, Kennedy is a beast. Im very much looking forward to seeing him next year. Clune worked with a solid defense, hoping he can just keep us more disciplined in general. the defense showed a lot of great things at times last year, but gave up as many big plays as they got. if he can get them mentally ready, we'll have a solid dline that might actually get support from the rest of the defense consistently.

that discipline im hoping Clune brings should elevate the D considerably.

as far as Linebackers, Jerrol Garcia-Williams had some strong games, but he played outside, so im not sure if they're going to move him inside to the positions you're inquiring about.

Gener played well before his major concussion ended the season, hoping he comes back strong, because after those two, im not sure who's going to be there at linebacker. i unfrotunately havent made any of the spring practices.

at the summer game though, i'll try to look out for who they play inside.

targets.

Makana
Starter
Starter
MLB: San Francisco Giants
NBA: The Bay Warriors
NFL: San Francisco 49ers

Post by Makana »

xer 21 wrote:Yeah, Kennedy is a beast. Im very much looking forward to seeing him next year. Clune worked with a solid defense, hoping he can just keep us more disciplined in general. the defense showed a lot of great things at times last year, but gave up as many big plays as they got. if he can get them mentally ready, we'll have a solid dline that might actually get support from the rest of the defense consistently.

as far as Linebackers, Jerrol Garcia-Williams had some strong games, but he played outside, so im not sure if they're going to move him inside to the positions you're inquiring about.

Gener played well before his major concussion ended the season, hoping he comes back strong, because after those two, im not sure who's going to be there at linebacker. i unfrotunately havent made any of the spring practices.

I forgot about Garcia-Williams and Gener, not sure how well they are on taking on blocks though, but we'll see. How is Benny Fonua progressing?? I thought HE was gonna step up and be the next Pisa Tinoisamoa, haven't heard anything about him this whole off-season, then again it's still early.

I can't wait to see the summer game too, by then they should have a god grasp of the defense. And hopefully everyone comes outta that game healthy.
“Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere.”
― Albert Einstein

“Jiu-Jitsu is like a philosophy. It helps me learn how to face life.”
-Helio Gracie

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by xer 21 »

Makana wrote:
xer 21 wrote:Yeah, Kennedy is a beast. Im very much looking forward to seeing him next year. Clune worked with a solid defense, hoping he can just keep us more disciplined in general. the defense showed a lot of great things at times last year, but gave up as many big plays as they got. if he can get them mentally ready, we'll have a solid dline that might actually get support from the rest of the defense consistently.

I forgot about Garcia-Williams and Gener, not sure how well they are on taking on blocks though, but we'll see. How is Benny Fonua progressing?? I thought HE was gonna step up and be the next Pisa Tinoisamoa, haven't heard anything about him this whole off-season, then again it's still early.

I can't wait to see the summer game too, by then they should have a god grasp of the defense. And hopefully everyone comes outta that game healthy.
yeah, like i said, it would be a large position change of Garcia williams, and gener didnt get to show us too much, he only played 2 and a half games.

as for fonua, i dont know. he played limited time last year, and i havent been able to make it to a practice yet. i have to wait til summer. all their practices this spring were during my class periods.

targets.