Graduating Duke QB seeking to transfer

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
BigWave96744

Graduating Duke QB seeking to transfer

Post by BigWave96744 »

Nope, not Sean Schroeder... But Duke QB, Hana Hou??? :D
Former 3* Pro Style QB, Brandon Connette has graduated from Duke and is seeking a team on the West Coast for his 5th year, to be closer to his ailing mother. He has already ruled out San Jose St, even though his brother is on staff. He also chose Duke over an offer by Stanford.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/r ... ette-84136
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=204884710
Brandon Connette granted transfer
Updated: April 10, 2014, 5:28 PM ET

By Matt Fortuna | ESPN.com

Duke quarterback Brandon Connette will transfer to be closer to his mother in California, who is battling cancer, coach David Cutcliffe announced Thursday.

Connette's mother, Nancy, was diagnosed with cancer in 2013. The Blue Devils have fulfilled Connette's request to provide permission to schools close to his home of Corona, Calif.

He will have immediate eligibility at his new school because he graduated with a degree in economics from Duke in December.
http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... ing-cancer

BigWave96744

Re: Graduating Duke QB seeking to transfer

Post by BigWave96744 »

‘Bounce-back’ players might change way Chow recruits
By Ferd Lewis
POSTED: 01:30 a.m. HST, Apr 12, 2014
LAST UPDATED: 02:15 a.m. HST, Apr 12, 2014
The 'Bows have 14 of them entering Saturday's practice, with the likelihood that more might be on the way in the fall
All the while UH is fielding inquiries from players at Duke, Washington and Utah
Read the full premium article at
http://www.staradvertiser.com/sportspre ... 009431&c=n

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Note: Brandon has appeared in 26 D1 games in his 4 years at Duke.
If Max Wittek or Stephen Rivers does not come here, Brandon would have appeared in more games than all of our QB's combined

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

I'd rather Woolsey get a chance. Besides....relying on transfers is a bad way to build a program. It eventually catches up with you.

Optimus
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Optimus »

J-Rod wrote:I'd rather Woolsey get a chance. Besides....relying on transfers is a bad way to build a program. It eventually catches up with you.
While this is true, Woolsey is not even beating out Jeremy Higgins this spring with Graham on the mend.
I thought for sure with Taylor out, Ikaika would distance himself from Higgins.
Do you think Higgins can lead this team?
Also do you think Woolsey is better than the USC and LSU QBs considering Hawaii?

kalua pig
Starter
Starter

Post by kalua pig »

Higgins is not a proto type norm chow qb.4-20 after 2 years.norm,its time to put in a gamer.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

I haven't seen Higgins throw lately. You have to throw the long ball and complete it when the opportunities are there. If you can't the D will play man and take away the short and midrange passes. If everyone is closer to the line of scrimmage you are screwed. LBs are up to play the run and they sit back and take away all the short stuff. Completion percent goes down, third down conversions go down, screens won't work, rollout passes to the RBs are not effective. Draws don't work. You run out of options on third down plays.

It's easier to defend a shorter field.

And once they know you can't throw the long ball consistently you are done.

wailukuwarriorfan
Starter
Starter

Post by wailukuwarriorfan »

TheDuke wrote:I haven't seen Higgins throw lately. You have to throw the long ball and complete it when the opportunities are there. If you can't the D will play man and take away the short and midrange passes. If everyone is closer to the line of scrimmage you are screwed. LBs are up to play the run and they sit back and take away all the short stuff. Completion percent goes down, third down conversions go down, screens won't work, rollout passes to the RBs are not effective. Draws don't work. You run out of options on third down plays.

It's easier to defend a shorter field.

And once they know you can't throw the long ball consistently you are done.
Hard to throw the long ball if you haven't eaten all day. . .

"Quarterback Jeremy Higgins recalled his time before earning a scholarship last year.

"As a walk-on, life sucked," Higgins said. "Now I'm glad the walk-ons get to eat."

Higgins said Luke Ingram, a former UH long-snapper and roommate, often treated him to a late breakfast.

"I wouldn't eat (anything else) until I got home at night after the meetings," Higgins recalled. "I was broke."

Higgins said he saved for expenses working part-time jobs.

"I had to pour asphalt," he said. "I had to spread asphalt on the street. It was hard work."

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings

Post by bigislandkurt »

Higgins threw some ducks in the past. Woolsey was erratic. We enter the the season once again with no clear answer at QB. For the sake of the team, I hope both of them are much better today than they were in the past.
Friendship is Essential to the Soul

al
All-conference
All-conference

Post by al »

come on now. lets not all be so naive.

it is wise for chow not to name a starter out of spring camp, thus leaving the door W I D E open for a viable graduated transfer qb.

...nuff said!

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

higgins doesnt have any arm strength, and eating isnt going to change that in one season.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

wailukuwarriorfan
Starter
Starter

Post by wailukuwarriorfan »

xer 21 wrote:higgins doesnt have any arm strength, and eating isnt going to change that in one season.
You'd be surprised what proper nutrition can do for conditioned college athletes. Couple that with increased.repetitions in spring and fall practice and a position specific strength and conditioning program, then add position development coaching from the Quarterback coach and other mentors.

But hey, if he doesn't have any arm strength, yeah, eating isn't going to change that in one season.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

Sounds like this Connette kid is looking at Fresno too.....who had huge issues at QB in spring camp. Now I'm hoping chow gets this kid.....if for nothing but to keep him away from the Dogs.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

I would rather give the reps to someone who will be here for a while.
ImageImage

Mr.EDGE808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Mr.EDGE808 »

wailukuwarriorfan wrote:
xer 21 wrote:higgins doesnt have any arm strength, and eating isnt going to change that in one season.
You'd be surprised what proper nutrition can do for conditioned college athletes. Couple that with increased.repetitions in spring and fall practice and a position specific strength and conditioning program, then add position development coaching from the Quarterback coach and other mentors.

But hey, if he doesn't have any arm strength, yeah, eating isn't going to change that in one season.
=; What if he was STRICTLY in HAWAIIAN food for a year?! He would be like BIK! :lol: :lol: :oops: Sorry BIK, my bad to my favorite KANAKA! \:D/
Because in my mind,it's always clear...evil thoughts that twist my mind into despair- Iron Maiden