USA Today early picks have UH finishing last again in 2014.

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
puali
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Re: USA Today early picks have UH finishing last again in 20

Post by puali »

WA Warrior wrote:Chow ball better pull its head out of its okole cause the old folks might be able to wait another decade for a winning team but this isn't the 70s anymore. Hawai'i needs to get out of the cellar and headed and staying in the right direction.

I hope the University management understands this.
Well, it was the old folks and financial supporters, Chinen & the Rainbow gang, who are stuck in the 70's mentality,
that got what they wanted.

That old mentality of "locals", getting Chow.

The group that got to change the football team's name back to Rainbow.

There was already a group of talented coaches and a suitable system in place,
a TEN YEAR plus tradition of being the WARRIORS, all hard earned and built upon by June Jones.

All of this just thrown away by the "old folks".

If Chow gets at least 5 wins, does that mean a successful season?

From t-shirts to the local broadcasters calling the football team, the "Bows". Sigh.
My avatar is not pro-rainbow, but anti-rainbow, pro-WARRIORS. HAWAII WARRIORS football. Go WARRIORS!

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

Makana wrote:Well if Chow can manage to pick up Wittek that should give UH a good chance of placing 3rd in the West. Yes, IMO, picking up Wittek will be the difference maker. And if Wittek is picked up, no chance Graham beats him out for the starting job.
i dont think he's going to be that much of a difference maker. it was really our defense that failed us for the great majority of the year.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

puali wrote:
WA Warrior wrote:Chow ball better pull its head out of its okole cause the old folks might be able to wait another decade for a winning team but this isn't the 70s anymore. Hawai'i needs to get out of the cellar and headed and staying in the right direction.

I hope the University management understands this.
Well, it was the old folks and financial supporters, Chinen & the Rainbow gang, who are stuck in the 70's mentality,
that got what they wanted.

That old mentality of "locals", getting Chow.

The group that got to change the football team's name back to Rainbow.

There was already a group of talented coaches and a suitable system in place,
a TEN YEAR plus tradition of being the WARRIORS, all hard earned and built upon by June Jones.

All of this just thrown away by the "old folks".

If Chow gets at least 5 wins, does that mean a successful season?

From t-shirts to the local broadcasters calling the football team, the "Bows". Sigh.

Lot of truth here.

Compare and contrast the top-shelf "Leigh Steinberg" re-marketing of the team as the Warriors

to the appearance of "IMUA" on the puke green jerseys under the current regime

clearly, this was a slopped up misunderstanding of the fan base and an unnecessary step back from all the gains made

Makana
Starter
Starter
MLB: San Francisco Giants
NBA: The Bay Warriors
NFL: San Francisco 49ers

Post by Makana »

xer 21 wrote:
Makana wrote:Well if Chow can manage to pick up Wittek that should give UH a good chance of placing 3rd in the West. Yes, IMO, picking up Wittek will be the difference maker. And if Wittek is picked up, no chance Graham beats him out for the starting job.
i dont think he's going to be that much of a difference maker. it was really our defense that failed us for the great majority of the year.
You think so??

The defense was the one that kept us in games like USC and Oregon St. until the defense started taking hits due to injuries.

On offense, Chow didn't know who to stick with, they were having more trouble with personnel on offense more than there were on defense.
“Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere.”
― Albert Einstein

“Jiu-Jitsu is like a philosophy. It helps me learn how to face life.”
-Helio Gracie

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

Makana wrote:
xer 21 wrote:
You think so??

The defense was the one that kept us in games like USC and Oregon St. until the defense started taking hits due to injuries.

On offense, Chow didn't know who to stick with, they were having more trouble with personnel on offense more than there were on defense.
The D kept us in the first two games, that's it. There is a reason we have a new D coordinator.
ImageImage

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

Irse wrote: The D kept us in the first two games, that's it. There is a reason we have a new D coordinator.
Yep...then that same defense coughed up 59 to Wyoming. If you look at Wyoming in November, their results are littered with defensive beat downs....except UH. (10 vs. Fresno, 7 vs. Boise, 7 vs. Utah State.......59 vs. UH)

Makana
Starter
Starter

Post by Makana »

Don't know if you've ever played football before, but it's hard to play defense when you're on the field most of the time. And I see you're overlooking injuries and inexperience, but that's ok, cause you think just because Kaumeyer was fired it was ALL the defenses fault....lol.
― Albert Einstein

-Helio Gracie

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Makana
Starter
Starter

Post by Makana »

J-Rod wrote:
Irse wrote: The D kept us in the first two games, that's it. There is a reason we have a new D coordinator.
Yep...then that same defense coughed up 59 to Wyoming. If you look at Wyoming in November, their results are littered with defensive beat downs....except UH. (10 vs. Fresno, 7 vs. Boise, 7 vs. Utah State.......59 vs. UH)
Yah it's only Wyoming, nevermind that they have one of the top CB's in the draft in Marqueston Huff, a top 100 pick in Robert Herron (who is a burner if you haven't noticed) and a possible 3rd-5th round pick in Brett Smith.

That game vs. Wyoming was just a shootout, not to mention officiating was horrible. But Wyo's pass-D is far better than UH and they gave up 56 points, 3 less. But it's like you people ignore injuries, inexperience and some bad coaching decisions (not benching players) and just straight point the finger at the defense to the root of last years problems, unbelievable!!!!
― Albert Einstein

-Helio Gracie

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

Makana wrote: Yah it's only Wyoming, nevermind that they have one of the top CB's in the draft in Marqueston Huff, a top 100 pick in Robert Herron (who is a burner if you haven't noticed) and a possible 3rd-5th round pick in Brett Smith.

That game vs. Wyoming was just a shootout, not to mention officiating was horrible. But Wyo's pass-D is far better than UH and they gave up 56 points, 3 less. But it's like you people ignore injuries, inexperience and some bad coaching decisions (not benching players) and just straight point the finger at the defense to the root of last years problems, unbelievable!!!!
In the surrounding games, Fresno State, then Boise State, and Utah State after Hawaii.....Wyoming was soundly beaten in each game. They were destroyed on offense, and they were destroyed on defense. On both sides of the ball, they got whipped in November.....except one game, in which their offense magically reappeared, but only for one week. These are facts....everything else is just interpretation.

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: Buffalo Bills

Post by wyokie »

J-Rod wrote:
Makana wrote: Yah it's only Wyoming, nevermind that they have one of the top CB's in the draft in Marqueston Huff, a top 100 pick in Robert Herron (who is a burner if you haven't noticed) and a possible 3rd-5th round pick in Brett Smith.

In the surrounding games, Fresno State, then Boise State, and Utah State after Hawaii.....Wyoming was soundly beaten in each game. They were destroyed on offense, and they were destroyed on defense. On both sides of the ball, they got whipped in November.....except one game, in which their offense magically reappeared, but only for one week. These are facts....everything else is just interpretation.
Sadly, J-Rod is right. BTW, we fired our jackassed head coach for a lot of those problems.

Makana
Starter
Starter

Post by Makana »

J-Rod wrote:

So what's the question or topic at hand, is Wyoming an inferior team or the defense is what was holding the team back last year?? Save Wyoming for another thread, and tell me more about Hawaii's defense, thanks.
― Albert Einstein

-Helio Gracie

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

Makana wrote: So what's the question or topic at hand, is Wyoming an inferior team or the defense is what was holding the team back last year?? Save Wyoming for another thread, and tell me more about Hawaii's defense, thanks.
Its clear you're missing the point. Wyoming was not very good, in fact they were routinely whipped....even the likes of Northern Colorado could hold them to 35 points. Boise, Fresno, Utah State, Colorado State, and Texas State all dominated Wyoming's offense. The very same Wyoming offense that Hawaii's defense got completely obliterated by. That's solid evidence that the team had an issue on defense, and Norm took that to the next level by firing Kaumeyer. I actually like the talent the team has on defense, but Kaumeyer clearly lost his way towards the end of 2013.

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

Makana wrote:Don't know if you've ever played football before, but it's hard to play defense when you're on the field most of the time. And I see you're overlooking injuries and inexperience, but that's ok, cause you think just because Kaumeyer was fired it was ALL the defenses fault....lol.
yeah, you know we won time of possession in the wyoming game? and the SDSU game. and the Navy game. yes, we lost that battle significantly against USU, SJSU, and UNLV, but those teams also did a LOT of damage early on.

you cant use the tired excuse on the wyoming game though, o the navy game, or the SDSU game. that was a shootout from the first quarter. the defense was objectively bad in those games, and we were moving the ball alright in them.

the defense had its moments, but for the most part, it did us no favors for much of the season. we gave up less than 30 points just once the entire season. you can blame tired and injuries all you want, but after the OSU and USC games (and the USC game seems just a little less impressive when you consider THEIR injuries, and the fact that they were basically auditioning QB's, were wittek played poorly for a half.), they were shaky at best.

but im sure the fact that Bret Smith dropped SEVEN TD's on us had nothing to do with the fact that Kaumeyer ran straight man defense against 4 wides that were clearly faster than the DB's we had on the field. and if you want to blame injuries, that's STILL dumb, because you're supposed to adjust the schemes to your personnel.

Herron really is as good as you say he is, and we left Nequan on an island with him all game, and he is NOT that fast.

sounds like smart defense.

look man. i liked Kaumeyer a lot. he was a great guy, nice to talk to and it seemed obvious to me that the players really liked him. but he was just clearly in over his head here.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

Makana
Starter
Starter

Post by Makana »

[quote="J-Rod"]

Wow so I'm missing the point, lol, you guys been missing my point the last 3 post for godsake.
You bring up the Wyo game, tell me this, if the defense was the one holding this team back, why did it hold PAC-12 schools USC and Oregon St. to 30 points and some change while the offense couldn't even score 20?? Or how about the offense against Nevada scoring only 9 points and at Utah St. only scoring 10??

Gonna have to agree to disagree.
― Albert Einstein

-Helio Gracie

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Makana
Starter
Starter

Post by Makana »

xer 21 wrote:
Makana wrote:Don't know if you've ever played football before, but it's hard to play defense when you're on the field most of the time. And I see you're overlooking injuries and inexperience, but that's ok, cause you think just because Kaumeyer was fired it was ALL the defenses fault....lol.
yeah, you know we won time of possession in the wyoming game? and the SDSU game. and the Navy game. yes, we lost that battle significantly against USU, SJSU, and UNLV, but those teams also did a LOT of damage early on.

you cant use the tired excuse on the wyoming game though, o the navy game, or the SDSU game. that was a shootout from the first quarter. the defense was objectively bad in those games, and we were moving the ball alright in them.

the defense had its moments, but for the most part, it did us no favors for much of the season. we gave up less than 30 points just once the entire season. you can blame tired and injuries all you want, but after the OSU and USC games (and the USC game seems just a little less impressive when you consider THEIR injuries, and the fact that they were basically auditioning QB's, were wittek played poorly for a half.), they were shaky at best.

but im sure the fact that Bret Smith dropped SEVEN TD's on us had nothing to do with the fact that Kaumeyer ran straight man defense against 4 wides that were clearly faster than the DB's we had on the field. and if you want to blame injuries, that's STILL dumb, because you're supposed to adjust the schemes to your personnel.

Herron really is as good as you say he is, and we left Nequan on an island with him all game, and he is NOT that fast.

sounds like smart defense.

look man. i liked Kaumeyer a lot. he was a great guy, nice to talk to and it seemed obvious to me that the players really liked him. but he was just clearly in over his head here.
Winning T.O.P. means nothing about a defense. I mean, you people can state the defense was atrocious at times and it was, but to tell me I can't sing the "Inury and Inexperience song" isn't a complete evaluation on your peoples behalf. Hmmmm someone gets injured, then someone with less snaps in practice is supposed to come right in and know their assignments right off into two or 3 games, fans might think so, but players know the reality of a game and adjusting to it.

And how can you look down upon who they were lined-up against vs. USC. Don't know what you're watching cause Moses Samia controlled his gap blowing up 2nd-3rd round pick Center Marcus Martin. And I could've sworn Marquise Lee was pretty much a pedestrian in that game. Sure, he had 100+ yards in that game, but that doesn't tell the whole story how the defense checked him. Lee was projected to have a big day vs. Hawaii's secondary, I was at that game and Kwamane Bowens (freshman x-warrior) play man-coverage on him a couple plays, with the front-7 causing Wittek to throw the ball early. Nevermind the offense turning the ball over or the O-line struggling giving up 7 sacks, yup, you're right it was the defenses fault.
― Albert Einstein

-Helio Gracie

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum