USA Today early picks have UH finishing last again in 2014.

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Re: USA Today early picks have UH finishing last again in 20

Post by xer 21 »

Makana wrote:
xer 21 wrote:
Makana wrote:Don't know if you've ever played football before, but it's hard to play defense when you're on the field most of the time. And I see you're overlooking injuries and inexperience, but that's ok, cause you think just because Kaumeyer was fired it was ALL the defenses fault....lol.
yeah, you know we won time of possession in the wyoming game? and the SDSU game. and the Navy game. yes, we lost that battle significantly against USU, SJSU, and UNLV, but those teams also did a LOT of damage early on.

you cant use the tired excuse on the wyoming game though, o the navy game, or the SDSU game. that was a shootout from the first quarter. the defense was objectively bad in those games, and we were moving the ball alright in them.

the defense had its moments, but for the most part, it did us no favors for much of the season. we gave up less than 30 points just once the entire season. you can blame tired and injuries all you want, but after the OSU and USC games (and the USC game seems just a little less impressive when you consider THEIR injuries, and the fact that they were basically auditioning QB's, were wittek played poorly for a half.), they were shaky at best.

but im sure the fact that Bret Smith dropped SEVEN TD's on us had nothing to do with the fact that Kaumeyer ran straight man defense against 4 wides that were clearly faster than the DB's we had on the field. and if you want to blame injuries, that's STILL dumb, because you're supposed to adjust the schemes to your personnel.

Herron really is as good as you say he is, and we left Nequan on an island with him all game, and he is NOT that fast.

sounds like smart defense.

look man. i liked Kaumeyer a lot. he was a great guy, nice to talk to and it seemed obvious to me that the players really liked him. but he was just clearly in over his head here.
Winning T.O.P. means nothing about a defense. I mean, you people can state the defense was atrocious at times and it was, but to tell me I can't sing the "Inury and Inexperience song" isn't a complete evaluation on your peoples behalf. Hmmmm someone gets injured, then someone with less snaps in practice is supposed to come right in and know their assignments right off into two or 3 games, fans might think so, but players know the reality of a game and adjusting to it.

And how can you look down upon who they were lined-up against vs. USC. Don't know what you're watching cause Moses Samia controlled his gap blowing up 2nd-3rd round pick Center Marcus Martin. And I could've sworn Marquise Lee was pretty much a pedestrian in that game. Sure, he had 100+ yards in that game, but that doesn't tell the whole story how the defense checked him. Lee was projected to have a big day vs. Hawaii's secondary, I was at that game and Kwamane Bowens (freshman x-warrior) play man-coverage on him a couple plays, with the front-7 causing Wittek to throw the ball early. Nevermind the offense turning the ball over or the O-line struggling giving up 7 sacks, yup, you're right it was the defenses fault.
no one was saying the defense played poorly against USC. i DID say that i think their performance was a bit overblown: we were all imagining that performance against the usual well oiled USC offense, when they didnt hit their stride til halfway through the season.

but winning time of possession DOES make your argument that we left them on the field too long at least partially uninformed. those were close games and we were trading shots in all of them. the defense was not left on the field in those games. i could see if we gained all that time back at the end if they had a bunch of third stringers in, but they didnt. insinuating that we left the defense on the field as the main problem is a joke. especially with how much people scored on us in the early parts, while we were also doing well offensively.

the defense sucked last year, and you can only blame injuries so much. stop trying to cover up for the players or Kaumeyer. they did not play well for the majority of the season, kaumeyer was at least partially responsible, and blaming the offense when we clearly got our poop together on offense in the second half of the season smacks of someone who's already made up his mind about why we lost games. citing two games (one against an offense that was still in search of itself) when the other 10 games show otherwise doesnt cut it.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

Makana
Starter
Starter
MLB: San Francisco Giants
NBA: The Bay Warriors
NFL: San Francisco 49ers

Post by Makana »

ok you're right xer21...\discussion. I don't know WTF I'm talking about.
“Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere.”
― Albert Einstein

“Jiu-Jitsu is like a philosophy. It helps me learn how to face life.”
-Helio Gracie

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

Makana wrote:ok you're right xer21...\discussion. I don't know WTF I'm talking about.
very good!

sometimes it is better to just end these things with some old school, passive aggression

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by xer 21 »

Makana wrote:ok you're right xer21...\discussion. I don't know WTF I'm talking about.
if you had actually watched some of the games im talking about ( which im dont blame anyone for, most of these were road games and you had to dig for streams), you'd probably at least partially agree with me.

you can only blame injuries and fatigue so much.

targets.

Makana
Starter
Starter

Post by Makana »

xer 21 wrote:
if you had actually watched some of the games im talking about ( which im dont blame anyone for, most of these were road games and you had to dig for streams), you'd probably at least partially agree with me.

you can only blame injuries and fatigue so much.
Well just wanna say that I've been a season ticket holder for 8 years (Section G (blue) row 32 seats 5 and 6, drop by for a beer) since moving back from San Francisco. I ordered the Oceanic cable package to watch every single road game, Oceanic sucks btw they wouldn't refund me when the power went out on the Leeward side. Just so you know where I'm coming from, had a cousin who 3 years back was the QB for Oregon, had family who played for UH and have friends who still are on the roster. I was pretty involved in the San Francisco 49ers community (my family is friends with Carmen Policy), I'm also a Mod for THEE best 49ers website in 49erswebzone.com. I don't mean to come off arrogant or anything, but knowing football is one of the most favorite things I love to do, I'm not just a fan, I'm a fanatic lol. You want me to breakdown the WCO, Coryell, Pistol, 3-4, 46 D, Single High Safety, no problem.....but to tell me if I actually watched some games, well I'll just end the discussion here.

This is a very tight/respectful Website here at SportsHawaii.com, didn't mean to step on any toes, I'll be leaving now.
― Albert Einstein

-Helio Gracie

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HawaiianHogster »

I could care less where UH is placed before the season starts. It matters at the end of the season. These are guys that are bored and have nothing to do but project who will be good and who will be bad.

Personally I think Hawaii will do real good this year. That is as long as the injury bug stays away. I can see the running backs leading the way with the receivers/tight ends taking some heat away from them. I see Higgins or Woolsey as our leading QB's having some success.

I see the o-line improving and deeper than before.

Improvement all around on defense.

If special teams improve from last year there will be no stopping UH from entering the end zone.

The games won't be easy to win. It will be a little like last year with a few more wins. Close exciting games with a better ending for UH.

I am happy they see UH last as well as others on here. That should light a fire in their eyes.
“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by xer 21 »

i dont want you to break anything down. im sure you know quite a bit on many subjects im not well versed on in football.

i just want you to explain why it was in any way a smart decision to play man against Wyoming when they lined up 4 wides. especially when our safeties were less than amazing. espeically when we got burned for so many HUGE plays over the course of the entire game with receivers in one on one situations. if you really watched that game and didnt see anything wrong with what the defense was doing, then i'd have to assume you just don't remember what happened. i just dont see how anyone could watch that game and think our offense is the biggest problem.

i dont understand why you're so insistent on acting like Kaumeyer had nothing to do with how our defense performed, or why you think our defense wasnt a large part of our problem. even if you want to blame injuries, which yes, hurt us, its still Kaumeyer's job to adjust to the changing personnel and get them ready. and he didnt do a very good job of that at all.

targets.

Makana
Starter
Starter

Post by Makana »

xer 21 wrote:i dont want you to break anything down. im sure you know quite a bit on many subjects im not well versed on in football.

i just want you to explain why it was in any way a smart decision to play man against Wyoming when they lined up 4 wides. especially when our safeties were less than amazing. espeically when we got burned for so many HUGE plays over the course of the entire game with receivers in one on one situations. if you really watched that game and didnt see anything wrong with what the defense was doing, then i'd have to assume you just don't remember what happened. i just dont see how anyone could watch that game and think our offense is the biggest problem.

i dont understand why you're so insistent on acting like Kaumeyer had nothing to do with how our defense performed, or why you think our defense wasnt a large part of our problem. even if you want to blame injuries, which yes, hurt us, its still Kaumeyer's job to adjust to the changing personnel and get them ready. and he didnt do a very good job of that at all.
Well let me ask you this, what would you run when the opposing offense is going 4-wide?? Keep in mind you still have to worry about Brett Smith who will gain a ton of yards with his feet. You could run a single high, but we don't really have a Safety with range, I would've loved to see Marrell Jackson back there, but again there's only so much you can ask from a freshman.

And btw, I am in no way making excuses for Kaumeyer or the defense, I have even admitted to it in my previous post. I just thought it was kinda of premature to let Kaumeyer go. No question his defense took a hit with injuries (no denying that), so you have to work with what you got, this isn't the NFL where if a player is struggling you can go out and pick up a free agent veteran. Also you cannot overlook the inexperience in the young secondary or D-line, I've said it before a player will only be as good as the amount of snaps given and then there's the exception with some of the LB's, thank god Tuioti is gone.

So getting back, tell me, what defense would you have ran?? Also what players would you have sat (benched) at Half time, what kind of half time adjustment would you have made?? I only ask you this cause you claim to have be so sure of this game that the defense just failed. IMO, I think it was two evenly matched teams, the only difference was mistakes led by Hawaii, Joey Iosefa in overtime rushed for 4 straight times and was stuffed on all 4 (keep in mind, the runs where all between the tackles, where's the creativeness in that series, how can you blame the defense THAT time?

Oh and btw, one thing I wanted to clear up....Robert Herron not fast you, he's only .05 slower from top 10 pick Sammy Watkins in the 40. Defense had no answer for Herron 141 yards with 4 TD's vs. UH. And as for NeQuan who was left on a island with Herron, I wouldn't even consider him a 7th round pick, he's no Ryan Mouton by any means, and Mouton (3rd round pick) can't even make it in the NFL.

In the end, should Kaumeyer share some of the blame for a poor defense....absolutely. Should his players on defense....absolutely!!! But C'mon let's try and look at the big picture here.
― Albert Einstein

-Helio Gracie

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Makana wrote:
Well let me ask you this, what would you run when the opposing offense is going 4-wide?? Keep in mind you still have to worry about Brett Smith who will gain a ton of yards with his feet. You could run a single high, but we don't really have a Safety with range, I would've loved to see Marrell Jackson back there, but again there's only so much you can ask from a freshman.

And btw, I am in no way making excuses for Kaumeyer or the defense, I have even admitted to it in my previous post. I just thought it was kinda of premature to let Kaumeyer go. No question his defense took a hit with injuries (no denying that), so you have to work with what you got, this isn't the NFL where if a player is struggling you can go out and pick up a free agent veteran. Also you cannot overlook the inexperience in the young secondary or D-line, I've said it before a player will only be as good as the amount of snaps given and then there's the exception with some of the LB's, thank god Tuioti is gone.

So getting back, tell me, what defense would you have ran?? Also what players would you have sat (benched) at Half time, what kind of half time adjustment would you have made?? I only ask you this cause you claim to have be so sure of this game that the defense just failed. IMO, I think it was two evenly matched teams, the only difference was mistakes led by Hawaii, Joey Iosefa in overtime rushed for 4 straight times and was stuffed on all 4 (keep in mind, the runs where all between the tackles, where's the creativeness in that series, how can you blame the defense THAT time?

Oh and btw, one thing I wanted to clear up....Robert Herron not fast you, he's only .05 slower from top 10 pick Sammy Watkins in the 40. Defense had no answer for Herron 141 yards with 4 TD's vs. UH. And as for NeQuan who was left on a island with Herron, I wouldn't even consider him a 7th round pick, he's no Ryan Mouton by any means, and Mouton (3rd round pick) can't even make it in the NFL.

In the end, should Kaumeyer share some of the blame for a poor defense....absolutely. Should his players on defense....absolutely!!! But C'mon let's try and look at the big picture here.
Ryan Mouton played a HELLUVAH lot more than Timmy Kaumeyer did in the NFL. What do you mean he can't (or couldn't since he's now a 27yo UFA) cut it in the NFL? Sheesh. Ryan Mouton did more in anyone of his years than Kaumeyer did in his entire NFL career. Sorry, but Kaumeyer is a loser. I wish we could have a real CFB and NFL winner like Rich Miano back again. Nah, nah, nah... Fo reals, I'm so happy coach Chow is finally getting over his initial phase of cronyism.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Irse wrote:
Makana wrote:
xer 21 wrote: i dont think he's going to be that much of a difference maker. it was really our defense that failed us for the great majority of the year.
You think so??

The defense was the one that kept us in games like USC and Oregon St. until the defense started taking hits due to injuries.

On offense, Chow didn't know who to stick with, they were having more trouble with personnel on offense more than there were on defense.
The D kept us in the first two games, that's it. There is a reason we have a new D coordinator.
So, our defense did well in the first two games of the season? LOL...that's why the big guys schedule us as a tune-up game. Once the other guys figure out our totally predictable defense, it's lights-out.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

SundayJam wrote: Once the other guys figure out our totally predictable defense, it's lights-out.
I think part of it is that the "big" teams feel a need to try to overpower us and will be less tricky because they feel that they don't have to. we respond well to this because we have some good toughness and our guys are stronger than people give them credit for. because of this, we can make a game of it against the trojans and the beavers. but when it comes to MWC play? that's when teams actually gameplan us. evidence of this is how many times we gave up first downs on 3rd and long last season. I'm excited about having a new DC - if we can fix our 3rd down defense, things change drastically...

Optimus
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Optimus »

Only one way to go, but Up

Makana
Starter
Starter

Post by Makana »

SundayJam wrote:
Makana wrote:

Ryan Mouton played a HELLUVAH lot more than Timmy Kaumeyer did in the NFL. What do you mean he can't (or couldn't since he's now a 27yo UFA) cut it in the NFL? Sheesh. Ryan Mouton did more in anyone of his years than Kaumeyer did in his entire NFL career. Sorry, but Kaumeyer is a loser. I wish we could have a real CFB and NFL winner like Rich Miano back again. Nah, nah, nah... Fo reals, I'm so happy coach Chow is finally getting over his initial phase of cronyism.
Almost 3 paragraphs and THAT'S what you came up with, why do I even bother replying to you. What a joke!!!

Ph yah Mouton, OK let's see:

in 5 years removed from college he's played in 36 games and started two. You do know that is less than two seasons of playing right. Not to mention he was outta the league last year.

In 4 seasons in the NFL he's managed 42 tackles, 4 forced fumbles and zero and I say ZERO interceptions in the NFL!!!

Also don't know how you took that the wrong way I was actually complementing Mouton.

Funny how you guys think I'm a Kaumeyer homer, I've already stated many times before on what I think were horrible calls or what I disagreed with.....even Norm Chow. I'm a bit biased when it comes to UH, but in no way a blind homer.
― Albert Einstein

-Helio Gracie

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Makana
Starter
Starter

Post by Makana »

SundayJam wrote:
So, our defense did well in the first two games of the season? LOL...that's why the big guys schedule us as a tune-up game. Once the other guys figure out our totally predictable defense, it's lights-out.
This coming from someone that's in Bangkok rather than someone who is actually a ticket holder. Oh the irony I tell ya!!!! :lol:
― Albert Einstein

-Helio Gracie

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Makana wrote: Almost 3 paragraphs and THAT'S what you came up with, why do I even bother replying to you. What a joke!!!

Ph yah Mouton, OK let's see:

in 5 years removed from college he's played in 36 games and started two. You do know that is less than two seasons of playing right. Not to mention he was outta the league last year.

In 4 seasons in the NFL he's managed 42 tackles, 4 forced fumbles and zero and I say ZERO interceptions in the NFL!!!

Also don't know how you took that the wrong way I was actually complementing Mouton.

Funny how you guys think I'm a Kaumeyer homer, I've already stated many times before on what I think were horrible calls or what I disagreed with.....even Norm Chow. I'm a bit biased when it comes to UH, but in no way a blind homer.
Look, I appreciate your passion for the game, but there is no need to constantly pat yourself on the back or ridicule me. You've played football. You know some guys ( or a guy) on the team. You've been an MOD on another forum. Whoop-dee-fricken-doo.

In regard to Mouton, 3 years and 36 games played is nothing to sneeze at. NFL.com has him with 61 tackles and 1 forced fumble, so I don't know where you pull your stats from. In 4 years, Kaumeyer played in only 8 NFL games, and never had a start. I'm sorry, but you seem so enthusiastic about promoting the defensive failure we've endured these past two years under Kaumeyer. Maybe I misunderstood your rants?

How lucky you are to attend games at Aloha Stadium. I think it is the most underrated entertainment value for sports fans in Hawaii. Who benefits, really? Good for you. You are a supporter of Rainbow football.

Chow may yet find his niche in Hawaii. We'll see.