USA Today early picks have UH finishing last again in 2014.

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
LopaKa
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer
NBA: Miami Heat
NFL: Atlanta Falcons

Re: USA Today early picks have UH finishing last again in 20

Post by LopaKa »

Only thing you can do as a fan is to remain optimistic, and hope they can prove everyone wrong. Go Bows!

Makana
Starter
Starter
MLB: San Francisco Giants
NBA: The Bay Warriors
NFL: San Francisco 49ers

Post by Makana »

SundayJam wrote:
Makana wrote: Almost 3 paragraphs and THAT'S what you came up with, why do I even bother replying to you. What a joke!!!

Ph yah Mouton, OK let's see:

in 5 years removed from college he's played in 36 games and started two. You do know that is less than two seasons of playing right. Not to mention he was outta the league last year.

In 4 seasons in the NFL he's managed 42 tackles, 4 forced fumbles and zero and I say ZERO interceptions in the NFL!!!

Also don't know how you took that the wrong way I was actually complementing Mouton.

Funny how you guys think I'm a Kaumeyer homer, I've already stated many times before on what I think were horrible calls or what I disagreed with.....even Norm Chow. I'm a bit biased when it comes to UH, but in no way a blind homer.
Look, I appreciate your passion for the game, but there is no need to constantly pat yourself on the back or ridicule me. You've played football. You know some guys ( or a guy) on the team. You've been an MOD on another forum. Whoop-dee-fricken-doo.

In regard to Mouton, 3 years and 36 games played is nothing to sneeze at. NFL.com has him with 61 tackles and 1 forced fumble, so I don't know where you pull your stats from. In 4 years, Kaumeyer played in only 8 NFL games, and never had a start. I'm sorry, but you seem so enthusiastic about promoting the defensive failure we've endured these past two years under Kaumeyer. Maybe I misunderstood your rants?

How lucky you are to attend games at Aloha Stadium. I think it is the most underrated entertainment value for sports fans in Hawaii. Who benefits, really? Good for you. You are a supporter of Rainbow football.

Chow may yet find his niche in Hawaii. We'll see.
Who's patting themselves on the back seriously!! You reply with ignorant comments, I'm gonna do the same right back, it's not like your post demand any respect so I give none to you.

And dude who gives a crap about Kaumeyer vs. Mouton, you totally missed the point to my comparison....seriously....just stop!!! You're taking things outta context.

And again, who is promoting defensive failures?? I've stated continuously what I disagreed with about the defense, and (IMO) what changes I think should be made. It just so happen that one poster has said the problem to this season was mostly the defense, I'm just stating my opinion. And coming at me with "Kaumeyer sucks there's a reason he was fired" or whatever.....oh yah do tell??

Look I'm not here to drop bombs on each other, I just wanted to talk some football....simple as that.

Good day....or morning.....or night....whatever it is in Bangkok. lol
“Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere.”
― Albert Einstein

“Jiu-Jitsu is like a philosophy. It helps me learn how to face life.”
-Helio Gracie

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Makana wrote: Almost 3 paragraphs and THAT'S what you came up with, why do I even bother replying to you. What a joke!!!

in 5 years removed from college he's played in 36 games and started two. You do know that is less than two seasons of playing right. Not to mention he was outta the league last year.

In 4 seasons in the NFL he's managed 42 tackles, 4 forced fumbles and zero and I say ZERO interceptions in the NFL!!!

Also don't know how you took that the wrong way I was actually complementing Mouton.

Funny how you guys think I'm a Kaumeyer homer, I've already stated many times before on what I think were horrible calls or what I disagreed with.....even Norm Chow. I'm a bit biased when it comes to UH, but in no way a blind homer.

Who's patting themselves on the back seriously!! You reply with ignorant comments, I'm gonna do the same right back, it's not like your post demand any respect so I give none to you.

And dude who gives a crap about Kaumeyer vs. Mouton, you totally missed the point to my comparison....seriously....just stop!!! You're taking things outta context.

And again, who is promoting defensive failures?? I've stated continuously what I disagreed with about the defense, and (IMO) what changes I think should be made. It just so happen that one poster has said the problem to this season was mostly the defense, I'm just stating my opinion. And coming at me with "Kaumeyer sucks there's a reason he was fired" or whatever.....oh yah do tell??

Look I'm not here to drop bombs on each other, I just wanted to talk some football....simple as that.

Sorry, who is talking crap and who is talking football? Didn't you say how wonderful the defense held up to USC and OSU in the first two games of the season? Maybe that was someone else. Didn't you say the defense was awesome until the injury bug hit them? Must'a been someone else. It sure sounded like that poster was strongly defending the defensive effort last year. Clearly, coach felt Kaumeyer was to blame or he wouldn't have been fired. Now he's an equipment guy on an NFL team. I don't see our competitors lining up to steal him away like they did with Rolovich and Aranda. I corrected you regarding Mouton, because it was misleading. I'm not sure how you thought you were complementing him.

If someone disagrees with your assessment then they are ignorant or a joke. Those are your words, not mine. You are in the envious position of attending home games at a discounted season ticket rate. Wow, you are an amazing supporter of Rainbow football. Keep bestowing us who live in far away lands with your Play Station knowledge.

Makana
Starter
Starter

Post by Makana »

SundayJam wrote:

Sorry, who is talking crap and who is talking football? Didn't you say how wonderful the defense held up to USC and OSU in the first two games of the season? Maybe that was someone else. Didn't you say the defense was awesome until the injury bug hit them? Must'a been someone else. It sure sounded like that poster was strongly defending the defensive effort last year. Clearly, coach felt Kaumeyer was to blame or he wouldn't have been fired. Now he's an equipment guy on an NFL team. I don't see our competitors lining up to steal him away like they did with Rolovich and Aranda. I corrected you regarding Mouton, because it was misleading. I'm not sure how you thought you were complementing him.

If someone disagrees with your assessment then they are ignorant or a joke. Those are your words, not mine. You are in the envious position of attending home games at a discounted season ticket rate. Wow, you are an amazing supporter of Rainbow football. Keep bestowing us who live in far away lands with your Play Station knowledge.
For one I called your post a joke and not you. Play Station knowledge you say....well show me yours?? All I've seen from you is criticism of my opinion and no real knowledge of the game.....Play Station knowledge...laugh now, but I know a High School coach who actually took a few plays from EA Sports NCAA Football game. lol.

My complement to Mouton was saying he was a solid CB at UH, but is struggling at the next level, cheese think outside the box for once. And if you think the stats that's been put up about Mouton are any indications of him being successful at the next level.

I've backed up Kaumeyer and his defense no doubt I didn't deny that, but I'm no blind supporter either, I've also said that in my previous post. Your building me up like I'm some homer and making it look like this team can do know wrong. Let's go over the things I've disliked about the team since Chow has started:

1. Not sticking with a QB, mixing it up never comes out right, he actually should've stuck with Schroeder from the beginning....but I also had high hopes for Graham. IMO, I think chemistry between a QB and WR is key to the offense (aside from chemistry between the O-line). See - Brennan, Grice-Mullin and Bess. It wasn't so much that Brennan, Grice-Mullin or Bess were awesome QB's or WR's, it's the chemistry they had, knowing where one would be or knowing where his passes were going to be (i.e. ball placement).

2. Pistol Formation, I've never liked the Pistol, I've always thought they should've went to split backs or at least I-Formation. WCO or even a Coryell is dependent on a WR routes and a QB's drop back 3-5-7 steps with or without a hitch step. Not to mention having two RB's in the back field or utilizing the running game takes a lot of pressure off an inexperience QB or a struggling pass-protecting O-line - See running game when Iosefa came back.

3. Not starting with an OC to begin with. I thought that was very important for Chow to have an OC with his inexperience as a HC. Taking play calling away IMO, would give him more time to coach his players on the sideline, keep an eagle eye on clock management and get a drink of water (I was kidding btw on that drink of water).

4. For the defense, I thought the front-seven was OK, but as games went on, you'd see blown assignments in coverage, miss tackles and even mismatches that went unnoticed. If it was up to me, I think I would've benched a couple players.

I'm sure I can think of more, but I don't have the time right now, sorry.
― Albert Einstein

-Helio Gracie

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Makana wrote: For one I called your post a joke and not you. Play Station knowledge you say....well show me yours?? All I've seen from you is criticism of my opinion and no real knowledge of the game.....Play Station knowledge...laugh now, but I know a High School coach who actually took a few plays from EA Sports NCAA Football game. lol.

My complement to Mouton was saying he was a solid CB at UH, but is struggling at the next level, cheese think outside the box for once. And if you think the stats that's been put up about Mouton are any indications of him being successful at the next level.

I've backed up Kaumeyer and his defense no doubt I didn't deny that, but I'm no blind supporter either, I've also said that in my previous post. Your building me up like I'm some homer and making it look like this team can do know wrong. Let's go over the things I've disliked about the team since Chow has started:

1. Not sticking with a QB, mixing it up never comes out right, he actually should've stuck with Schroeder from the beginning....but I also had high hopes for Graham. IMO, I think chemistry between a QB and WR is key to the offense (aside from chemistry between the O-line). See - Brennan, Grice-Mullin and Bess. It wasn't so much that Brennan, Grice-Mullin or Bess were awesome QB's or WR's, it's the chemistry they had, knowing where one would be or knowing where his passes were going to be (i.e. ball placement).

2. Pistol Formation, I've never liked the Pistol, I've always thought they should've went to split backs or at least I-Formation. WCO or even a Coryell is dependent on a WR routes and a QB's drop back 3-5-7 steps with or without a hitch step. Not to mention having two RB's in the back field or utilizing the running game takes a lot of pressure off an inexperience QB or a struggling pass-protecting O-line - See running game when Iosefa came back.

3. Not starting with an OC to begin with. I thought that was very important for Chow to have an OC with his inexperience as a HC. Taking play calling away IMO, would give him more time to coach his players on the sideline, keep an eagle eye on clock management and get a drink of water (I was kidding btw on that drink of water).

4. For the defense, I thought the front-seven was OK, but as games went on, you'd see blown assignments in coverage, miss tackles and even mismatches that went unnoticed. If it was up to me, I think I would've benched a couple players.

I'm sure I can think of more, but I don't have the time right now, sorry.
Yeah, we have very much differing opinions on football. If you think playing 36 games in the NFL isn't above average, you're naive. Mouton's certainly not pro bowl material, but then not many are. Since you brought up the chemistry between Brennan and his receivers: how many games do you think they played together? I'm willing to bet it was less than 36 games. How can you explain the success that the myriad of quarterbacks that McMackin threw into the mix out of necessity. I think Mack and Chow were pretty much in the same boat in this regard, yet McMackin championed a team with far better results.

Where else do we disagree? Not only was Kaumeyer a terrible defensive coordinator, but Chow has proven to be a pretty terrible head coach, so I'm not sure he shouldn't focus on play calling. It is the only thing he's proven over his long career. That and developing quarterbacks which causes me to wonder about you second guessing his calls at quarterback.

The major difference between Mac and Chow thus far has been Chow's sluggish response to the need for change. McMackin was quick to change out play callers on both sides of the ball.

As of now, I am ecstatic that we have what appear to be viable play callers on both sides of the ball. Imua, I say. Imua.

Makana
Starter
Starter

Post by Makana »

SundayJam wrote:
Yeah, we have very much differing opinions on football. If you think playing 36 games in the NFL isn't above average, you're naive. Mouton's certainly not pro bowl material, but then not many are. Since you brought up the chemistry between Brennan and his receivers: how many games do you think they played together? I'm willing to bet it was less than 36 games. How can you explain the success that the myriad of quarterbacks that McMackin threw into the mix out of necessity. I think Mack and Chow were pretty much in the same boat in this regard, yet McMackin championed a team with far better results.

Where else do we disagree? Not only was Kaumeyer a terrible defensive coordinator, but Chow has proven to be a pretty terrible head coach, so I'm not sure he shouldn't focus on play calling. It is the only thing he's proven over his long career. That and developing quarterbacks which causes me to wonder about you second guessing his calls at quarterback.

The major difference between Mac and Chow thus far has been Chow's sluggish response to the need for change. McMackin was quick to change out play callers on both sides of the ball.

As of now, I am ecstatic that we have what appear to be viable play callers on both sides of the ball. Imua, I say. Imua.
You do know playing in 36 games doesn't mean anything about how successful or unsuccessful you are in the NFL, all that means is you took a snap in a game. For one Mouton was always playing catch up for a roster spot due to injury, and I'd love for you to look up his grades in pass coverage from PFF (ProFootballFocus). But seriously I rather you not, you're taking this Mouton thing was out of proportion.

And for Brennan and his receivers.....exactly!!!!, which is the reason why I disagreed with Chow about playing musical chairs at the QB position, how is chemistry gained that way.

And Kaumeyer a terrible DC, please....enlighten me?? I'd like to know what makes him such a bad DC, what didn't you like in his play calling and what you would've done different, what defense would you have ran with the personnel he had? What kind of adjustments would you have made in certain games you were able to watch? How would you have overcame injuries to your defense and still maintain success?

I could go on saying so-and-so SUCKS, but since we are in discussion wouldn't you wanna know why I said that??

Chow developing QB's as a OC opposed to being a HC have been two entirely different things. Tell me what QB has he developed that was successful for him since being the HC for Hawaii??

This reminds of the time I used to argue everything in 2004-2010 when the 9ers had horrid seasons. But like John Madden says "Winning is a great deodorant" and right now it stinks in here. lol

We done here??
― Albert Einstein

-Helio Gracie

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Makana wrote:
This reminds of the time I used to argue everything in 2004-2010 when the 9ers had horrid seasons. But like John Madden says "Winning is a great deodorant" and right now it stinks in here. lol

We done here??
What most armchair quarterbacks don't seem to understand is that there is a lot more to managing a team than just plotting x's and o's. Yeah, I think Thom K was a terrible coach, because his record is just awful. As a defensive coordinator, I don't think he's won more than 10 games in his entire career. When I watched the games last season I saw an unconcerned, happy defensive coordinator...and there was something wrong with that image in my mind. A coach, above all else, must motivate and inspire the team. Our coaches haven't done that since 2011.

We are done here. You continue to wage your cyber wars...er arguments.

Makana
Starter
Starter

Post by Makana »

SundayJam wrote:
Makana wrote:

We done here??
What most armchair quarterbacks don't seem to understand is that there is a lot more to managing a team than just plotting x's and o's. Yeah, I think Thom K was a terrible coach, because his record is just awful. As a defensive coordinator, I don't think he's won more than 10 games in his entire career. When I watched the games last season I saw an unconcerned, happy defensive coordinator...and there was something wrong with that image in my mind. A coach, above all else, must motivate and inspire the team. Our coaches haven't done that since 2011.

We are done here. You continue to wage your cyber wars...er arguments.
Yah, I'm not getting what you mean by this, more than just x's and o's?? I could've sworn I've mentioned things like chemistry, mechanics and inexperience and what not in past threads (not too sure if you're talking about me, I'm figuring you are), I'd love to hear (see, in this matter) what you think it takes to manage a team??

And as for Kaumeyer is it because he's had bad credentials, not getting what you mean by winning more than 10 games in his career, I don't think he's ever been a HC in the NCAA or NFL. And you do know a DC can only control his side of the ball right??.....Just checking. But if you're talking credentials I kinda gotta disagree with you here:
The Encinitas, Calif., native coached at Jacksonville, where he assisted with the defensive backs from 2008-11. While there, he directed the development of 2009 draft pick Derek Cox, who led the team in interceptions in each of his first two seasons. The Jaguars improved defensively from 28th in 2010 to sixth in 2011, the second-largest improvement in the NFL, and improved in nearly every statistical category from the previous season. The 2011 defense allowed 313.0 yards per game, the fewest since 2006.
In his one season at Tulane, Kaumeyer helped turn around the Green Wave defense, improving their national ranking in scoring defense, total defense and rushing defense from the previous season.
From 2002-06, Kaumeyer was the defensive coordinator at San Diego State, where the Aztecs produced one of the best defenses in the Mountain West Conference. During his first year with SDSU, he orchestrated the biggest defensive improvement in the country from 95th in 2002 to eighth in ’03. In 2004, the Aztecs ranked in the Top 50 nationally in three team defensive categories and finished second in the MWC in red-zone defense each of the last two seasons.
His first stint at Palomar began in 1991, where he would gradually work his way up to the head coach position in his final season of 1994. Kaumeyer led the Comets to a record of 8-3 and ranked No. 18 nationally by JC Grid-Wire.
cyber wars.....it can't be just a discussion between two posters??
― Albert Einstein

-Helio Gracie

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Makana wrote:
I think you got it right in your earlier response to xer21: We are a respectful board here. I wouldn't say we're tight, because there are many differing opinions. Keep blowing your own horn regarding your knowledge and dedication to the game and UH football while calling other opinions a joke and LOL-ing every one of your responses. See how far that gets you.

Makana
Starter
Starter

Post by Makana »

SundayJam wrote:
Makana wrote:
I think you got it right in your earlier response to xer21: We are a respectful board here. I wouldn't say we're tight, because there are many differing opinions. Keep blowing your own horn regarding your knowledge and dedication to the game and UH football while calling other opinions a joke and LOL-ing every one of your responses. See how far that gets you.
Other opinions or just yours??

Seriously, look at all my past replies to you, aside from the one where I called your reply a joke. But I've pretty much done nothing but explain myself regarding my opinion on the team and everyone's past reactions or replies. If anything you're the one that's out to attack me, I've made no real offense to you personally in my post, all I've ever asked was insight, analysis or humble opinion. Since when did I ever just randomly targeted any of your replies with.....He sucks or you don't even know what you're talking about??

Instead all I get is:
Look, I appreciate your passion for the game, but there is no need to constantly pat yourself on the back or ridicule me. You've played football. You know some guys ( or a guy) on the team. You've been an MOD on another forum. Whoop-dee-fricken-doo.
Yeah, we have very much differing opinions on football. If you think playing 36 games in the NFL isn't above average, you're naive.
Much apologies for this one, it was all in good fun:

This coming from someone that's in Bangkok rather than someone who is actually a ticket holder. Oh the irony I tell ya!!!! :lol:
I rather not do this with you it's pretty much not about football anymore, I think you need to relax and stop making this so personal. If it's not about the team or the sport of football, don't even bother anymore, I'm done with this conversation.....for real now.
― Albert Einstein

-Helio Gracie

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Makana wrote: I rather not do this with you it's pretty much not about football anymore, I think you need to relax and stop making this so personal. If it's not about the team or the sport of football, don't even bother anymore, I'm done with this conversation.....for real now.
Agreed.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

Way too many walls of text in this thread. Remember a lot of people read these forums. It is not about you, me, or any other person in cyber world. It is about the program and the team. Come on, we can do better than this.

Nisei
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Padres

Post by Nisei »

I like turtles.

Flyin_Hayn
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Mariners,Yankees
NBA: Heat,Clippers,Nets
NFL: Raiders,Cowboys,SeaHawks

Post by Flyin_Hayn »

Nisei wrote:I like turtles.
Me too, But I prefer to have them as Ninja's :wink:
"Bring 'em on," he said. Bring anybody on. Why would you want to play other people? If we want to be the best that we can be, then let's go play the best that we can play." - Norm Chow Hawai'i football head coach

Optimus
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Optimus »

I'll take Makana's analysis of the game and team any day.
Keep 'em coming :)