Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Norm Chow is good at dealing with the media JK APRIL FOO

Post by poidog »

gridiron22 wrote:
eonatoa wrote:

On another note, Reardon is an idiot for stewing this whole thing back up today. !
+1

As if Reardon wasn't irrelevant enough to the real sports fans, I dont know why he felt as if he had to use the newspaper as a launching pad for his personal attack back at Norm.
Reardon is a sportswriter, not a blogger. it is reasonable for his response to be printed in the newspaper the very next day.

and as for "real sports fans", are you implying that in order to be a real sports fan you have to turn a blind eye to criticism and commentary and can only acknowledge the non-critical writing of a beat writer like stephen tsai? if so, then i'm ok with not being considered a "real sports fan". fake sports fan 4 life!

Optimus
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Optimus »

A friend I spoke with yesterday reminded me that Coach Mack banned photographer Barry Markowitz from practice. He also said Coach Mack burst his lid and snapped at Tsai, Kekaula, Ferd and other media guys who was on the field and talking to players during practice. Yet in all instances the media members obliged and didn't mention it on their social media or company outlet.

Todays article in the Star Advertiser, especially on the front page, was just a ploy to sell papers or get folks to visit their website. Today Dave and Norm was scheduled to meet. I wonder how that went.

Haynr8dr
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NBA: Boston Celtics
NFL: Oakland RAIDERS!

Post by Haynr8dr »

Yeah, I thought SA and Reardon took the low road today. Sure, Chow was an idiot yesterday, but this just fueled the fire.

gridiron22
Pine rider
Pine rider
NBA: LakersChargers
NFL: chargers

Post by gridiron22 »

Reardon is supposed to cover a story not be a story, He has no real specialty in any of the major sports and uses 2nd and 3rd story accounts to create controversial media. If you're gonna be a sh*t talker at least speak from first person experience.

Steven Tsai has first account information about UH football good and bad, yet is still supportive/professional enough to stay positive or atleast nuetral. What Reardon and the SA is doing is unethical practices for the purpose of making a buck. Thats what this world is made of and if DR is fine with being a d*ck then more power to him. I personally dont respect people or organizations like that.

Morning show host "Lanai" says it best about being successful with out being a jerk. skip to 16:12

http://youtu.be/dQjJuytLKok?t=16m15s

Sportsbow
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Sportsbow »

Looks like Dave Reardon and Norm Chow kissed and made up. Reardon is co-hosting the Sports Animals Show today and Norm agreed to be a guest at around 3:35 p.m. :o

Dave Reardon twitter: https://twitter.com/dave_reardon

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

eonatoa wrote:
rrforlifebaby wrote:I think it's total BS that the star advertiser would devote half of the front page for dave to say his mind. Seriously, front page?! A massive earthquake that killed people and could've affected us and they allow dave front page coverage?
They did that on purpose, just to sell a bunch more newspapers. Not very ethical!

I understand why NC is upset, he's just backing up his assistant coach. Not fair for Reardon to criticize the new assistant who had nothing to do with last years season.

On another note, Reardon is an idiot for stewing this whole thing back up today. The apology statement was issued yesterday. Reminds me of the people who pound on the glass at the lion exhibit and tease the animals. It would be so gratifying to see them get eaten!
there is absolutely nothing wrong about what Reardon wrote. he's at the SA to give his opinion on matters; that's his job. its absolutely fair game to criticize a new hire. if you actually read the article, its got a fair bit of complinetary info in it. its not just bashing. or bashing at all, even.

if Chow cant handle scrutiny and neither can Clune, neither should be coaching.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by xer 21 »

Haynr8dr wrote:Yeah, I thought SA and Reardon took the low road today. Sure, Chow was an idiot yesterday, but this just fueled the fire.
they dont have a high or a low road to take. they're trying to sell papers, and you shouldnt think less of them for doing their job. the only person who had anything to lose here was always Chow. and he lost.

targets.

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by xer 21 »

gridiron22 wrote:
Steven Tsai has first account information about UH football good and bad, yet is still supportive/professional enough to stay positive or atleast nuetral.
you should take the word Professional out there because it doesnt belong with what you're saying. professionalism has nothing to do with being supportive of a program or positivity. if something isnt right and the writer believes it to be that way, Reardon's job as a columnist (that is, he's there to give his opinion) includes speaking his mind. it is no less professional to call someone out than it is to be positive.

on this board an others, it seems people have a funny idea of what journalism is supposed to be. keep in mind, UH doesnt pay the SA's bills. they have no obligation to maintain positivity or supportiveness around the organization if the situations dont engender it.

targets.

reignjah11
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
MLB: Boston Red Sox
NBA: Dallas Mavericks
NFL: New England Patriots

Post by reignjah11 »

Leahey & Leahey had a good show last night regarding the whole Reardon-Chow situation.

Link

Mr.EDGE808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Mr.EDGE808 »

xer 21 wrote:
gridiron22 wrote:
Steven Tsai has first account information about UH football good and bad, yet is still supportive/professional enough to stay positive or atleast nuetral.
you should take the word Professional out there because it doesnt belong with what you're saying. professionalism has nothing to do with being supportive of a program or positivity. if something isnt right and the writer believes it to be that way, Reardon's job as a columnist (that is, he's there to give his opinion) includes speaking his mind. it is no less professional to call someone out than it is to be positive.

on this board an others, it seems people have a funny idea of what journalism is supposed to be. keep in mind, UH doesnt pay the SA's bills. they have no obligation to maintain positivity or supportiveness around the organization if the situations dont engender it.
:hello1: Well said xer 21......viewpoints are for free on this forum. =; :read: :-
Because in my mind,it's always clear...evil thoughts that twist my mind into despair- Iron Maiden

Haynr8dr
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NBA: Boston Celtics
NFL: Oakland RAIDERS!

Post by Haynr8dr »

xer 21 wrote: they dont have a high or a low road to take. they're trying to sell papers, and you shouldnt think less of them for doing their job. the only person who had anything to lose here was always Chow. and he lost.
Actually, I can think anything I want about SA.

While I agree SA don't have to give a sh't, I can still opine that Reardon took the low road, specifically having the medium to do it with - front page.

If you're a Chow-hater, then "yes" - go Reardon! But if you're just an observer, the Reardon piece was like Chow's outburst - classless.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

I don't think that this should have anything to do with being pro-Chow or anti-Chow, but the freedom of the press. And I don't think that Reardon made the decision to put his column on the front page of the paper.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

eonatoa
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by eonatoa »

xer 21 wrote:
Haynr8dr wrote:Yeah, I thought SA and Reardon took the low road today. Sure, Chow was an idiot yesterday, but this just fueled the fire.
they dont have a high or a low road to take. they're trying to sell papers, and you shouldnt think less of them for doing their job. the only person who had anything to lose here was always Chow. and he lost.
I do think less of them for going about it unethically. Going with your logic, drug dealers and pimps are also out to make money as well, should we respect them as well for just trying to make some money? The big issue in play here is ethics. The media and fans have been bashing Chow for a while, the sudden bashing of Clune was unwarranted and idiotic. Chow never said anything about the articles that criticized him, but felt like he had to stick up for Clune, which I totally agree with.

Reardon and the Star Advertiser will always print what people want to read. Right now, they are cashing in on the poor performance of the team by printing criticism by a columnist who has never coached a game in his life. Why his opinion even holds weight is a mystery to me. But his intentions are out of line, and his reputation will and should take a hit because of it.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

I don't even care really. Going after reporters with a win total like Norm's just keeps reinforcing the Von Appen comparisons. Now all we need is for him to discriminate towards a players religion and the transformation is complete.

I really do not care what Norm was upset about. He had a double-digit losing season last year. We're only 6 years removed from the Sugar Bowl. He needs to STFU and do his job.....quit worrying about what other people say and worry about not giving up 59 points to Wyoming again. Even if his salary is weak compared to other MW schools, I'd be willing to bet he makes way more money annually than anyone on this board.....to be terrible at his job. Criticize away. The Hawaii media is being too kind if you ask me.

Maybe I should coach UH.....I'll schedule DeVry University in OOC....go 1-11, and make 550K. Sounds like an awesome job.

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by xer 21 »

eonatoa wrote: the sudden bashing of Clune was unwarranted and idiotic. Chow never said anything about the articles that criticized him, but felt like he had to stick up for Clune, which I totally agree with.
can people please actually READ the article in question before they whine about it?

Chow didnt, and look where that got him?

the article isnt bashing clune. its questioning why they were hyping him up when he's not yet a known name or quantity and an acknowledgement that people shouldnt be expecting big names because of our budget and program health, while lamenting the fact that we're losing all of our Hawaii ties on the staff. its not bashing Clune, but critiquing the hiring practices and hype from the coaching staff/AD.

there was no sudden bashing of Clune, because there was no bashing of Clune.

targets.