UH wants to construct own football stadium

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: UH wants to construct own football stadium

Post by HawaiianHogster »

They will build it then go down to DIV2.
“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

HawaiianHogster wrote:They will build it then go down to DIV2.
Hawaii will never play at the FCS level. Its FBS or drop football. One or the either.....lets hope its never the latter.

MauiGuy
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by MauiGuy »

SundayJam wrote:
dcwarrior wrote:This is probably the right take. The sports business is changing and attendance is important but it's the tip of the revenue iceberg. Plus with UH having its own stadium, the corporate boxes can be built in and the whole thing can be designed as a modern facility.

Another thing that was mentioned in the news was that there are only dorms for less than 4000 students on campus. What? I was wondering why everyone commutes or rents in Moilili. If UH wants a loyal alumni fanbase that contributes regularly to the school, one important plus is having a core of happy 4-year on campus grads. With about 14,000 undergrads, there aren't even dorms for all the freshmen.

Personally I think UH should at least double the on-campus housing, and when all is built, require all frosh to live on campus. This would (i) free up housing in Moiliili, (ii) reduce traffic, (iii) help create a class spirit (which can help with future alumni donations and perhaps help with the 4-year grad rate) and (iv) increase the pool of potential athletics fans.
Dorms are moneymaking endeavors in more ways than one, are they not? I doubt seriously if UH could justify corporate boxes though. Really? Who's gonna pay for them...Hinode Rice...Budweiser? I mean...really.

Dorms were one of many issues back when I went to school at Manoa. It does kinda echo back to the Brennan/Jones' complaint about lack of soap in the showahs.
Corporate boxes would sell...it's a status thing among the corporate bigwigs. Yes it would help if Hawaii had a winning team, but they could sell the boxes if they were priced right. Budweiser would most certainly be a sponsor if a deal could be worked out that would ensure they're the only beer distributor in the stadium. That's easy. I also guarantee that both FHB and BOH would have boxes. There'd be a few more as well. Corporate sponsorship goes a long way nowadays. They take clients to games and give them the first class treatment. It's the way a lot of business gets done nowadays...not just on the golf course anymore.

I agree the facilities need to be upgraded, though. With the Ching field upgrade, hopefully this is the start of many more improvements to the school and athletic dept.

MauiGuy
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by MauiGuy »

SundayJam wrote:
dcwarrior wrote:This is probably the right take. The sports business is changing and attendance is important but it's the tip of the revenue iceberg. Plus with UH having its own stadium, the corporate boxes can be built in and the whole thing can be designed as a modern facility.

Another thing that was mentioned in the news was that there are only dorms for less than 4000 students on campus. What? I was wondering why everyone commutes or rents in Moilili. If UH wants a loyal alumni fanbase that contributes regularly to the school, one important plus is having a core of happy 4-year on campus grads. With about 14,000 undergrads, there aren't even dorms for all the freshmen.

Personally I think UH should at least double the on-campus housing, and when all is built, require all frosh to live on campus. This would (i) free up housing in Moiliili, (ii) reduce traffic, (iii) help create a class spirit (which can help with future alumni donations and perhaps help with the 4-year grad rate) and (iv) increase the pool of potential athletics fans.
Dorms are moneymaking endeavors in more ways than one, are they not? I doubt seriously if UH could justify corporate boxes though. Really? Who's gonna pay for them...Hinode Rice...Budweiser? I mean...really.

Dorms were one of many issues back when I went to school at Manoa. It does kinda echo back to the Brennan/Jones' complaint about lack of soap in the showahs.
Corporate boxes would sell...it's a status thing among the corporate bigwigs. Yes it would help if Hawaii had a winning team, but they could sell the boxes if they were priced right. Budweiser would most certainly be a sponsor if a deal could be worked out that would ensure they're the only beer distributor in the stadium. That's easy. I also guarantee that both FHB and BOH would have boxes. There'd be a few more as well. Corporate sponsorship goes a long way nowadays. They take clients to games and give them the first class treatment. It's the way a lot of business gets done nowadays...not just on the golf course anymore.

I agree the facilities need to be upgraded, though. With the Ching field upgrade, hopefully this is the start of many more improvements to the school and athletic dept.

dcwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by dcwarrior »

Right now, they have to buy the sideline seats, and it's hard to hold a conversation there. boxes work better if your goal is business promotion. Ironically, that may free up sideline seats for people who actually want to show up for games.
MauiGuy wrote: Corporate boxes would sell...it's a status thing among the corporate bigwigs. Yes it would help if Hawaii had a winning team, but they could sell the boxes if they were priced right. Budweiser would most certainly be a sponsor if a deal could be worked out that would ensure they're the only beer distributor in the stadium. That's easy. I also guarantee that both FHB and BOH would have boxes. There'd be a few more as well. Corporate sponsorship goes a long way nowadays. They take clients to games and give them the first class treatment. It's the way a lot of business gets done nowadays...not just on the golf course anymore.

Substance matters.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

UH should build a 30,000 fan stadium in the upper lot after the stadium authority finishes the 30,000 fan stadium in the lower lot

then we could have two sets of games going on at the same time

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

If "the lower portion of the stadium site" is a reference to the Lower Halawa Parking Lot, this mainland consultant obviously hasn't studied the available subsurface geotechnical investigation engineering reports.

Hmmm......

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

kapakahi wrote:If "the lower portion of the stadium site" is a reference to the Lower Halawa Parking Lot, this mainland consultant obviously hasn't studied the available subsurface geotechnical investigation engineering reports.

Hmmm......
Here is an excerpt from the report:

Prior geotechnical investigations of various portions of the property have identified soils with slight to moderate expansion potential when it has its relatively high in-situ moisture content.80 Further, during construction of improvements to the Lower Halawa Parking Lot in 2005, wet subgrade conditions were encountered in some areas.81 These conditions included the presence of free water in subgrade and granular fill areas.82 The exact cause was not determined, but it was suggested that it could be related to water lines leaking below grade, penetrations through the old pavement section that allowed water to infiltrate the subgrade soil, and/or heavy rains that occurred during construction.83 Due to time constraints for the 2005 improvements, wet soils were over-excavated and the area filled with compacted granular fill.84 At that time,recommendations were made for future pavement reconstruction work in the area, but no such reconstruction work has been undertaken.85 It is not known whether any of these conditions are present site-wide or what impact they may have on Stadium Site redevelopment.

Sounds like more geotechnical/soils investigation would be needed if that location is selected. The last thing one needs is a large change order due to unknown, unexpected subsurface conditions which could seriously increase the cost of and delay the project. The report seemed to be more of an overview of need, size, location and cost. It is very preliminary in intent.

I agree. Hmmmm.

415hawaiiboy
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider
MLB: Giants
NFL: Niners

Post by 415hawaiiboy »

Nothing gets the fanbase more fired up than talk about a new stadium. cheehee! :love7:

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Will never happen. They could barely get the roof and replacement chairs in before the fall camp started.
Also years back when they had to replace the turf, it tooks months.
Don't see how they could demolish the old stadium and erect a new one within a 8 months.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

UH needs it 's own stadium...reasons are obvious.If 30,000 is barely over the D-I minimum,then do 30,000 with the ability to expand to 45 to 50k.

I am not worried about this endangering Aloha Stadium and the Pro Bowl. I feel it should be obvious that the major reason why we have lost the Pro Bowl guarantee every year is because .....sorry,Aloha is getting old.The NFL is a major American corporation and they are not going to showcase their all-star players each year in a 30 or so year old stadium.

Let's face it ...the Pro Bowl is going to the next newest facility...and it isn't going to be Aloha Stadium...so forget about the Pro Bowl argument...they are leaving.The NFL just hasn'T kissed us off completely yet..but they are going to.

That leaves us with the home team...UHManoa...The Warriors need their own stadium.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

List of Stakeholder meetings from the report:

Aloha Sports Properties
Aloha Stadium Authority
Aloha Stadium Director Scott Chan
Chamber of Commerce of Hawaii
City and County of Honolulu Department of Land Use and Zoning
City and County of Honolulu Department of Planning & Permitting
E.K. Fernandez Shows
Great Aloha Run
Hawaii Authority for Rapid Transportation
Hawaii High School Sports Association
Hawaii Tourism Authority
Honolulu City Councilman Breene Harimoto
Honolulu Fire Department
Honolulu Police Department
National Football League
Neighborhood Board #18
Oahu Interscholastic Association
Office of the Governor
Office of the Lieutenant Governor
Populous
PunishUM Motorsports
Shannon Wood (community advocate)
Sheraton Hawaii Bowl
State of Hawaii Department of Accounting and General Services
State of Hawaii Department of Land and Natural Resources
State of Hawaii Department of Transportation Highways Division
State of Hawaii Office of Planning
State Representative Aaron Johanson
State Senator David Ige
State Senator Donovan Dela Cruz
State Senator Glenn Wakai
Swap Meet & Marketplace (various individual vendors)
Tom Moffatt (event producer)
Transit Oriented Development
United States Navy (Naval Facilities Engineering Command
University of Hawaii Athletic Director Ben Jay
Interesting that the OIA is recognized as a stakeholder.......but not the ILH who schedules most regular season football games at Aloha Stadium......nor the Hawaii High School Athletic Association (HHSAA) who schedules the State Football Championships there......nor all the public high schools who conduct their graduation ceremonies there.

Also noticed that Centerplate.....the stadium concessionaire who also runs the Swap Meet....is also not listed as a stakeholder.

Yet Populous......a mainland-based stadium architectural consulting firm.....who was only partially involved in the design of the recent handrail upgrades at Aloha Stadium......is considered to be stakeholder.
http://populous.com/
Maybe 'cuz they have a vested interest here.....i.e., the inside track as the designer of any new stadium.

Hmmm.....

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

Looks to me (I could be wrong) like they (whoever they is) want to tear down the stadium and move it down to the bottom corner of lot to make room for TOD.

TOD is listed as a stakeholder. TOD is not a person. I suppose TOD could mean grand central station with retail, homes, commercial space and whatever else.

This location is meant for recreational use. Usually, decisions are made ahead of time. Then they sell the decisions through the appearance of community meetings and input. It would be interesting to find out now Who they is what they have in mind.

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

UnBiasFan wrote:Looks to me (I could be wrong) like they (whoever they is) want to tear down the stadium and move it down to the bottom corner of lot to make room for TOD.

TOD is listed as a stakeholder. TOD is not a person. I suppose TOD could mean grand central station with retail, homes, commercial space and whatever else.

This location is meant for recreational use. Usually, decisions are made ahead of time. Then they sell the decisions through the appearance of community meetings and input. It would be interesting to find out now Who they is what they have in mind.
So what might really be happening is that it might be cheaper for the rail to go through the existing stadium than to circumvent it by the tune of what it would cost to build a new one or more. In order to milk some political points, they publicize the study making it seem like they have Warrior fans in mind, first and foremost.

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

madeinhawaii wrote:
UnBiasFan wrote:Looks to me (I could be wrong) like they (whoever they is) want to tear down the stadium and move it down to the bottom corner of lot to make room for TOD.

So what might really be happening is that it might be cheaper for the rail to go through the existing stadium than to circumvent it by the tune of what it would cost to build a new one or more. In order to milk some political points, they publicize the study making it seem like they have Warrior fans in mind, first and foremost.
I don't think this is about the area where the line itself is. I don't think that changes.

My guess is that this is about a land grab for the area adjacent to the line.
Last edited by UnBiasFan on Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.