2014 Spring Training Schedule & Practice Reports

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

2014 Spring Training Schedule & Practice Reports

Post by st808 »

spring training opened up this week for football. anyone have u.h.'s schedule?

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Re: where's the spring training schedule?

Post by kapakahi »

http://warriorbeat.staradvertiserblogs. ... -schedule/
Spring practice schedule
February 24th, 2014
By Stephen Tsai\

The Rainbow Warriors will open spring training on April 1.

The weekday practices will begin at about 7 a.m. The starting time has not been determined for the Saturday practices.

The practices are open to the public.

> Tuesday, April 1

> Thursday, April 3

> Saturday, April 5

> Monday, April 7

> Tuesday, April 8

> Thursday, April 10

> Saturday, April 12 — Junior Day

> Monday, April 14

> Tuesday, April 15

> Thursday, April 17

> Saturday, April 19

> Monday, April 21

> Tuesday, April 22

> Thursday, April 24

> Saturday, April 26 — Spring game

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Re: where's the spring training schedule?

Post by st808 »

thanks.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Re: 2014 Spring Training Schedule

Post by kapakahi »

http://www.hawaiiathletics.com/news/201 ... h=football
Spring Practice Dates

Tuesday, April 1 7:15 am

Thursday, April 3 7:15 am

Saturday, April 5 10:20 am

Monday, April 7 7:15 am

Tuesday, April 8 7:15 am

Thursday, April 10 7:15 am

Saturday, April 12 10:20 am

Monday, April 14 7:15 am

Tuesday, April 15 7:15 am

Thursday, April 17 7:15 am

Saturday, April 19 10:20 am

Monday, April 21 7:15 am

Tuesday, April 22 7:15 am

Thursday, April 24 7:15 am

Saturday, April 26 1:15 pm (Spring Fling)

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by st808 »

day one: april first.

rainy weather, slippery field, hands and balls for no pads practice. 11 on 11: woolsey taking most of the snaps, higgins second. defense tipped several passes, couple of ints.

punting: hunter hughes is on the line rushing punts. no april fool joke here. couldn't believe it, but he donned the yellow helmet cover and took a place on the right side as rusher. red shirt meant nothing during these drills.

d backs: gouveia must have pull as well as an eye for talent, drafting beau yap from the d line and moving him to outside linebacker. expect havoc and mayhem once yap gets used to the position swap.

team looks like they did the off season conditioning workouts, studied the play book. practice is very efficient using time well during position drills, and getting to and from drill areas. only hughes caught out of area when 11 on 11 punt drills started, but he ran up and put the yellow cap on and took his position right away.

how often are there two hunters on a team. pk and qb both named hunter.

moses was low key today, different kind of motivator. not much of a yeller, much more to the point, i guess.

left my roster at home and none were passed out by staff. however, freshmen are making themselves available for consideration nicely. receivers, tight ends, backs looking good.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

UH Athletics wrote:Head coach Norm Chow begins his third season with the Rainbow Warriors and welcomes three new additions to the coaching staff – defensive coordinator Kevin Clune, linebackers coach Kurt Gouveia, and running backs coach Wayne Moses. In addition, Jordan Wynn was promoted to quarterbacks coach.

UH returns 17 starters and 50 letterwinners from last year’s squad. Among the notable returnees include Scott Harding, who started at three different positions – slot receiver, punter, and punt returner. Running back Joey Iosefa also returns after missing the majority of the season with a nagging foot injury. The senior-to-be averaged 146.5 yards per game over the final four games of the season.

Four offensive linemen return including center Ben Clarke, a two-time honorable mention all-Mountain West, who has started all 24 career games. The quarterback position is up for grabs as two-year starter Sean Schroeder exhausted his eligibility.

On the defensive side of the ball, lineman Beau Yap, a second-team all-MW pick, headlines the list of returnees. Under new coordinator Clune, the Rainbow Warriors will utilize a new 3-4 base defense.

Makana
Starter
Starter
MLB: San Francisco Giants
NBA: The Bay Warriors
NFL: San Francisco 49ers

Post by Makana »

Thanks for the update guys!!

Thank god for a base 3-4, I really like that defense utilizing more LB's than having a DE with his hand on the ground. A much better way to disguise your blitzes. But who will be the NT??
“Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere.”
― Albert Einstein

“Jiu-Jitsu is like a philosophy. It helps me learn how to face life.”
-Helio Gracie

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by st808 »

moses samia, 6'1' 300 lb senior, is nose tackle, with calen friel, 6'2" 320 lb junior, alternating. calen is no longer wearing the knee brace, and seems to have shed some weight during the off season.

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by st808 »

april 3:

graham throwing well, good speed, accuracy.

iosefa back on field running, blocking, and pass receiving. once joey gets the ball on passes it's yac time. jason muraoka showing speed and good balance getting into secondary. penitito faalologo #47 should up u.h.'s running game, nice fit to iosefa and lakalaka.

tui unga t.e. looks solid, blocks and has good hands receiving, freshman, wearing hard eight. samson anguay #21 good hands, speed, going deep and gone. quinton pedroza #5 good hands, speed.

wrong on two hunters: it's the qb hunter hughes #16 and hunter thompson #99 on the d line with the same first name.

ceejay santos #37 punter got a lot of hang time in his left foot. joey blocking, hunter hughes rushing the kicker from the right side of the line.

duke buloski #24 took a few quick outs, had good separation, and yac,

FASBOY'90
Starter
Starter

Re: 2014 Spring Training Schedule & Practice Reports

Post by FASBOY'90 »

Imo, 3-4 is almost the same type of defense the last DC ran. Never mind speed, we better have linebackers that can read and take on the blocks. If not, it'll be a repeat or even worst, dead last in rushing defense all over again. I still would prefer the more traditional 4-3 which is balanced and fits the players we currently have on the roster.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Gerry Glanville did the 3-4 and it was a disaster the first year. As I recall, Glanville had to simplify the schemes until his players adjusted to the learning curve. Alama-Francis and Mel Purcell were two of the standouts in the 3-4. The 2006 defense was just awesome.

I'm pretty sure we have enough depth on DL, but do we have it in linebackers?

Thanks for the reports st808. You've got a knack for sports writing, but could you write more?

Makana
Starter
Starter

Post by Makana »

st808 wrote:moses samia, 6'1' 300 lb senior, is nose tackle, with calen friel, 6'2" 320 lb junior, alternating. calen is no longer wearing the knee brace, and seems to have shed some weight during the off season.
Ah yes Samia, he's one of my favorites on defense. I think if I were DC, I'd put Samia at LDE with Beau Yap coming off the edge and have Friel at NT. Anyone know if the D-line will play One or Two gap?? IMO, I think the D-lineman that they have now are more suited for one-gap, they don't seem to do well taking on two blockers.
― Albert Einstein

-Helio Gracie

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

FASBOY'90
Starter
Starter

Post by FASBOY'90 »

Hawaii has produced very good, solid, strong offensive an defensive linemans through out the years. We also have produce some very good linebackers that can rush, pressure, destroy the qb, make big highlight hits and disrupt offensive plays from time to time. The question is, do we have enough smart ones that are consistent and can READ the plays? This season it's all about prevention. Prevent the opponent from scoring period! If we can do that, we won't be chasing championships, we will win the darn thing.

Makana
Starter
Starter

Post by Makana »

FASBOY'90 wrote:Hawaii has produced very good, solid, strong offensive an defensive linemans through out the years. We also have produce some very good linebackers that can rush, pressure, destroy the qb, make big highlight hits and disrupt offensive plays from time to time. The question is, do we have enough smart ones that are consistent and can READ the plays? This season it's all about prevention. Prevent the opponent from scoring period! If we can do that, we won't be chasing championships, we will win the darn thing.
Yah you're right FAS, when I watched UH's practiced film (don't ask me how I got them), I've seen a couple of LB's reading the play wrong, going left when the play is going right. IMO, I think the Mike needs more range at that position, you don't see them covering sideline to sideline like a Navorro Bowman or Patrick Willis, shoot or even a Jeff Ulbrich. Daley is good at shooting gaps, but covering sideline to sideline is what is needed at the Ted or Mike position in a 3-4. I would've loved to see them put Daley at the Sam or Will positions one on one with the OT or on a T-E stunt-(Aldon Smith/Justin Smith money play).

As of right now I think I'd have Fonua as the Ted, Yap at Will, Taimatuia at Sam and Julian Gener as the Mike. My D-line IMO would look like RDE Kennedy Tulimasaelii, LDE Moses Samia and NT Calen Friel.
― Albert Einstein

-Helio Gracie

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by st808 »

april 5: half pads, refs on field.

defensive injury, couldn't see the number of the player. taken by ambulance off the field with left leg wrapped up at knee.

#48 rueben guzman lobbing 4+ hangtime punts in 11 on 11 drills. one muffed recpt recovered by defensive cover.

#80 ammon barker has speed, good hands, concentration catching a deep one off deflection from defender, and into end zone.

#5 quinton pedroza shows promise with good hands. at one point he left #1 ne"quan phillips flat footed, separated and made the catch. phillips retaliated with a shot to the face mask, which drew defensive coach's attention and a two lap penalty.

#14 marcus kemp, 6'4", wide receiver, used all of his height and more going up against tight coverage to pull down a deep reception and clear route to end zone.

#23 dee maggit, good for one interception.

#8 graham to #5 pedroza in tight coverage and traffic good for short yardage.

#91 samia lining up as nose tackle, with #90 kennedy tulimasealii at right defensive tackle, and #53 marcus malepeai at left defensive tackle.

#92 beau yap and #16 jeremy castro sharing time as outside linebacker.

more observers in audience, enthusiastic about team's chances this year.

coach moses working basics with running backs, elisara absent.

apr.07 0700 next practice.