USC QB, Max Wittek have interest in transferring to UH.

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Bleacher Report says Wittek would be a solid fit for UH

Post by TheDuke »

As pointed out this report is suspect.

But there are positives if he does decide to come.

1. It is a pro system that he is very familiar with.

2. He could get cudos for turning a program around.

3. Norm still has the resume. I don't care what anyone says. He can coach QBs and SS did open some people's eyes. He did get the best out of SS.

It still comes down to opportunities to play, playing in the right system, getting the right kind of coaching, playing for a coach who is well respected in coaching QBs (SS did get invited to a post season NFL sponsored game) and getting the right kind of press for turning a program into a winner.

Wittek isn't an unknown entity. He was highly rated out of HS, he did start for USC, he does have the physical tools and he does have some experience.

Will that translate to success? That's the million dollar question.

I'll bet you 10 to 1 that he and Chow are talking. If Chow has done his homework and likes what he sees he will be pitching how he can groom Wittek for success. And I am also positive that Wittek is talking to the Mater Dei and the SoCal QB connection that played for Chow and he is getting some positive feedback.

So I wouldn't be surprised if he landed in Hawaii.

darkjap
High-quality H20 provider

Post by darkjap »

Bleacher report provides no credibility. You're better off getting information from the seniors drinking coffee at Mcdonalds on a Tuesday morning.

Still, I'd love for Wittek to come and compete with Graham. It's obvious that Graham's the only fit for Chow's system and we need a backup, whether it be Wittek or Graham.

DA SCOUT

Post by DA SCOUT »

He couldn't win with a but load of talent at SC how can he win with the level we have here i just dont see it thats what they said about graham every one was waiting for the greatness and it jus fizzled. though he did show signs , we weren't looking for signs we were looking for a big 10 super star to come in and take us to the promise land instead we was left with heart ache. most 4 stars are bust anyway. norm jus doesn't have the eye for talent that june jones did. The west coast is not a good fit for hawaii we need the run and shoot to win consistently a system offense

quikfeat
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by quikfeat »

I think Hawaii will be a Great Fit for Max Wittek - it remains to be seen what kind of QB he will be however I thought he played better than Cody Kessler against Hawaii in that first game last season. Plus it is hard to guage since they both were playing for the inept Lane Kiffin. That Bleacher Report article-the writer is out of touch with who is coaching Hawaii when he states Timmy Chang and Colt Brennan since they were in the Run and Shoot under June Jones and yes, no Run & Shoot QB has ever made it in the NFL. I think what UH has going for us is that: 1) Sean Schoeder had success in Norm's offense; 2) UH runs a Pro Style offense under Norm Chow and not the Run & Shoot; 3) Max's fellow Mater Dei alumni, Colt Brennan loves it here in Hawaii so hopefully he speaks with Wittek about his Love for Hawaii; 3) Norm Chow was at USC and has the credentials of tutoring a lot of successful NFL Qb's although he has not had the kind of success as earlier in his career recently; 4) Schroeder has graduated so UH needs someone immediately and unless Graham dramatically improves we are in trouble without a QB although I do think Higgins can move the ball and should be given every shot to win the job however does not get the respect since he doesn't have as strong a arm but the main thing is he moves the ball; 5) UH although their record did not reflect it, they did improve since the games were competitive until the end unlike the previous year and they do have taller receivers now and Keith Kirkwood will be back along with Vasquez Haynes, Marcus Kemp and redshirt Armon Barker with the incoming frosh Donyeh Patterson (these are WR's 6'2" or taller) along with all-everything Scott Harding. Plus his and Colt's Mater Dei coach is a big influence on Wittek and he spoke highly of Hawaii knowing Colt came here although different regimes however the coach knows of Norm Chow's prior success so yes, I think UH has a Great shot at getting Wittek.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

Yeah Bleacher Report writers are mostly anyone who are trying to build up a portfolio and a fan following as a sports writer.
But even if it was ESPN or SI or Yahoo Sports or anyone else, the article isn't saying much. It's just analyzing his options. Not really saying that he is coming to Hawaii or even thinking about it other than that it's just an option.

rbaloha

Post by rbaloha »

Previous UH qbs ran a non pro run and shoot offense. Footwork and reading pro coverages were the issue.

SS probably gets into a training camp with an outside chance to make the practice squad.

MW would allow Chow to run his USC offense allowing MW to be pro ready. IMO UH has the horses to run more of the traditional 2 back sets.

Ulchiro5ga
Play Maker
Play Maker

Re: USC QB, Max Wittek have interest in transferring to UH.

Post by Ulchiro5ga »

Wittek is visiting this weekend.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

Ulchiro5ga wrote:Wittek is visiting this weekend.
Too bad the weather is crappy. Maybe he won't care since it's raining in SoCal now.

Makana
Starter
Starter
MLB: San Francisco Giants
NBA: The Bay Warriors
NFL: San Francisco 49ers

Post by Makana »

At this point Wittek or Rivers, I'd take anyone. But even though the thought of Phillip Rivers' brother coming to UH sounds awesome, I kinda rather have Wittek only because of his experience on the field. Stephen Rivers would pretty much be another Taylor Graham with no on-field experience.
“Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere.”
― Albert Einstein

“Jiu-Jitsu is like a philosophy. It helps me learn how to face life.”
-Helio Gracie

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

quikfeat
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by quikfeat »

Anyone has or seen any news about Max Wittek's visit to Hawaii and what he thought about it-basically is Hawaii still in the running as a program he would like to play for.

quikfeat
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by quikfeat »

Looks like it comes down to Hawaii and Texas with Louisville a distant third right now:

http://www.mwcconnection.com/2014/3/19/ ... waii-texas

The article states,
"Wittek's choice to consider Hawaii is for the chance to work with head coach Norm Chow who is known for being a great offensive mind and very good at coaching quarterbacks.

"Coach Chow is awesome," Wittek said. "His (football) pedigree speaks for itself.""

Hopefully, HAWAII it is!!! We shall probably find out after spring practices are completed so maybe late April or May.

Sweet Lei Mokihana
MLB: Los Angelas Dodgers
NBA: AnybodybutLakers&Heat
NFL: Cardinals and Seahawks

Post by Sweet Lei Mokihana »

quikfeat wrote:Looks like it comes down to Hawaii and Texas with Louisville a distant third right now:

http://www.mwcconnection.com/2014/3/19/ ... waii-texas

The article states,
"Wittek's choice to consider Hawaii is for the chance to work with head coach Norm Chow who is known for being a great offensive mind and very good at coaching quarterbacks.

"Coach Chow is awesome," Wittek said. "His (football) pedigree speaks for itself.""

Hopefully, HAWAII it is!!! We shall probably find out after spring practices are completed so maybe late April or May.
He said he won't decide until after spring ball. ...but most likely in June or July

WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by WarriorTyme »

Hawaii is still in the running. Here's a quote from Wittek

"It's a great place and a real fantastic university," Wittek says, adding that UT fosters real world connections much like USC does. He also said he enjoyed his visit to Hawaii.

"Coach (Norm) Chow is awesome. He's really brilliant."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... sfer-plans

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Texas football: Former USC QB Max Wittek leaning toward Longhorns
By Chris Hummer
chummer@aircanopy.net
9:29 am on April 12, 2014

(Brett Davis-US PRESSWIRE)

Texas’ quarterback depth took yet another hit Friday with the news junior quarterback David Ash is out for the spring with a Jones fracture in his left foot.

This leaves Tyrone Swoopes as the Longhorns’ only healthy scholarship quarterback on the roster — tight end Miles Onyegbule has worked this spring at QB — for the spring.

But there was a little positive news for Texas in the Max Wittek sweepstakes. CBS’s Jeremy Fowler reports the former Trojan is leaning toward the Longhorns.
http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com ... orns.html/
Jeremy Fowler @JFowlerCBS
Mater Dei HS coach Bruce Rollinson said QB Max Wittek told him recently he's "leaning toward Texas" but hadn't made official decision yet.

9:49 AM - 11 Apr 2014 Chicago, IL, United States

Makana
Starter
Starter
MLB: San Francisco Giants
NBA: The Bay Warriors
NFL: San Francisco 49ers

Post by Makana »

Oh well.......so did Stephen Rivers sign with anyone yet??
“Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere.”
― Albert Einstein

“Jiu-Jitsu is like a philosophy. It helps me learn how to face life.”
-Helio Gracie

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum