Kevin Clune named DC

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Kevin Clune named DC

Post by TheDuke »

The guy worked on one of the best defensive staffs in the country. He is well respected by a number of pretty good defensive coaches and he also worked under Aranda. Weber State is a pretty good program and he knows the MWC. Could be a good hire. Give him a chance and let's see what he can do.

hawaiian
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by hawaiian »

For the earlier poster who comments about June...

Mr. Jones is no longer here, he hasn't done more for SMU than he has for UH, so leave it at that and let's move on to the future!

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: Atlanta Braves
NBA: Atlanta Hawks
NFL: San Diego Chargers

Post by Scott »

Here is the press release on Kevin Clune:

Kevin Clune Joins Football Staff As Defensive Coordinator

HONOLULU – University of Hawai‘i head football coach Norm Chow announced the hiring of Kevin Clune as defensive coordinator. Clune comes to UH from Utah State, where he was linebackers coach for the past five seasons.

“I am honored and excited to be a part of Coach Norm Chow’s staff and the Hawai‘i football program,” Klune said. “I look forward to the new challenges that this opportunity will bring. I cannot wait to start spring ball and the new season.”

Over the past two seasons, the Aggie defense ranked among the nation’s best, including seventh in scoring defense in 2012 (15.4 ppg) and 2013 (17.1). USU also ranked 15th in total defense in 2012 (322.1 ypg) and 12th in 2013 (330.9). The Aggies were ranked No. 1 in the Mountain West in eight defensive categories last season while three of his linebackers earned all-conference honors.

In addition to coaching the linebackers at USU, Clune coordinated the punt return team and assisted in all other phases of special teams. He also coached and assisted all phases of defensive play, game planning, scouting, and play-calling. As part of USU’s staff last season, the Aggies captured the MW’s Mountain Division and played in the inaugural MW Championship Game where they defeated Northern Illinois 21-14 in the Poinsettia Bowl. The USU defense held Heisman Trophy finalist Jordan Lynch and the NIU offense to a season-low in points and total offense (315).

At Utah State, Clune coached all-conference linebackers Bobby Wagner, Jake Doughty, Zach Vigil, and Kyler Fackrell. Wagner was a three-time first-team all-Western Athletic Conference pick and concluded his career with 446 tackles, ranking first all-time in league history.

Clune came to Utah State after four years as Weber State’s defensive coordinator (2005-08), helping the Wildcats to a share of the Big Sky Conference title and advancing to the quarterfinals of the Football Championship Subdivision playoffs in 2008. That season, Clune’s defense was fourth in the league in total defense (363.9 ypg) and led the Big Sky in pass defense (208.4 ypg). WSU also led the conference in pass efficiency defense (109.4), which ranked 17th in FCS.

Under Clune, Weber State’s defense also ranked second in the Big Sky in both 2006 and ’07. The 2007 Wildcat defense yielded an average of just 348.4 yards per game. WSU also ranked first in the league in pass defense (212.2 ypg) and third in rushing defense (136.2 ypg). At WSU, Clune coached 15 all-Big Sky honorees, including second-team All-American Brady Fosmark in 2005.

Prior to Weber State, Clune served as defensive coordinator at Southern Utah in 2003 and ’04. Clune mentored outside linebacker Nick DiPadova, who earned second-team Division I-AA All-America honors in 2004 and was honorable mention in 2003, and Marques Harris, who earned third-team All-American accolades in 2004.

Clune was a graduate assistant at Utah in 2001 and ’02 working with both the running backs and linebackers. He also spent one year as Occidental College’s defensive line coach in 2000 and linebackers coach and special teams coordinator at Fullerton College from 1997-99. He began his coaching career at Palma High School in 1991 and also coached at Dos Pueblos High School.

Clune was a defensive lineman at Fullerton JC for one year and spent one season at the University of San Diego. Clune earned his bachelor’s degree in kinesiology from Cal State Fullerton in 2000.

Kevin Clune File

Born: Carmel, Calif.

Alma Mater:

Cal State Fullerton – Kinesiology; 2000

Coaching Experience:

2009-13 Utah State – Linebackers

2005-08 Weber State – Defensive Coordinator

2003-04 Southern Utah – Defensive Coordinator

2001-02 Utah – Graduate Assistant

2000 Occidental College – Defensive Line

1997-99 Fullerton JC – Special Teams Coordinator/Linebackers

1994-95 Dos Pueblos (Calif.) HS – Linebackers

1991 Palma (Calif.) HS – Defensive Line/Receivers

-UH-

Derek Inouchi
Media Relations Director
University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa Sports Media Relations
"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

Mahalo,
Scott
http://www.sportshawaii.com
"Hawaii's Fan Based Sports Page"

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Clune was on the animals today and pretty much said that he wanted the opportunity to be a DC. He liked how hard the Hawaii players played when he studied the team on film. One of the things they told their players at USU before playing us was that they had better be ready to play hard in the 4 th quarter against us. He said the focus will be recruiting right now. He didn't really go into detail on what kind of defense he intends to run. He said that his area of recruiting had been California. Highschool players first with JCs to fill immediate needs. Oh yeah he said that Chow will be doing the hiring of our linebacker coach.

Ben Jay who was on the show later said that the focus on coaching hires is the 2 defensive coaching positions and that they will worry about the offensive side later. He likes Clune and said that he was really impressed with USUs defense when they played us.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HawaiianHogster »

This is Clune's chance to show he can be a successful DC at the DIV1 level. I know he is coming here to prove just that. Not sure if he will be successful his first year or not but I hope for the teams sake he is. Chow needs a lot of help from the defense to bring in some wins. Get that side of the ball going and I see this team making a good comeback from seasons past.

The offense can move the ball, run off time, and score. Special teams can score and get good field position for the offense, pin the other teams offense deep in their own territory, plus gets the offense and defense fired up after making great plays. Add in a stingy defense and in come the wins.

The only problem is he may have only one year to get it done. I don't care about his past or where he is from. I only care about what he is going to do to improve the defense as a whole. If he is successful his career will skyrocket real quick.
“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

HawaiianHogster wrote:This is Clune's chance to show he can be a successful DC at the DIV1 level. I know he is coming here to prove just that. Not sure if he will be successful his first year or not but I hope for the teams sake he is. Chow needs a lot of help from the defense to bring in some wins. Get that side of the ball going and I see this team making a good comeback from seasons past.

The offense can move the ball, run off time, and score. Special teams can score and get good field position for the offense, pin the other teams offense deep in their own territory, plus gets the offense and defense fired up after making great plays. Add in a stingy defense and in come the wins.

The only problem is he may have only one year to get it done. I don't care about his past or where he is from. I only care about what he is going to do to improve the defense as a whole. If he is successful his career will skyrocket real quick.
He was given a 2 year contract. I think that was part of the deal.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

Clune should give Greg McMackin a call. Mack is one of the greatest coaches ever to lead Hawaii football and belongs in our Hall of Fame. June Jones called on him twice and both times he delivered big time for the program. Then he took over the ship when it was adrift. For some reason, he was crapped on by a lot of ungrateful people.

If Clune calls him privately, I am sure he would be willing to discuss things and give some help.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

UnBiasFan wrote:Clune should give Greg McMackin a call. Mack is one of the greatest coaches ever to lead Hawaii football and belongs in our Hall of Fame. June Jones called on him twice and both times he delivered big time for the program. Then he took over the ship when it was adrift. For some reason, he was crapped on by a lot of ungrateful people.

If Clune calls him privately, I am sure he would be willing to discuss things and give some help.
Mac was set to retire last year, but he had set us up with a great staff to take us into the next phase. Thanks to Scott for posting Clune's resume. It looks better than the last two OC's and the last DC's combined that Chow's hired....well, it's better than all the resumes of all the assistant coaches Chow has hired. It doesn't look any better than any of the assistants Chow fired.

Funny, the same guys that were calling for Mac's head when he lost a close game to that despicable Utah State are now cheering the hiring of a position coach from that awesome Utah State.

pumpfake
Starter
Starter

Post by pumpfake »

RedZone wrote:
HawaiianHogster wrote:This is Clune's chance to show he can be a successful DC at the DIV1 level. I know he is coming here to prove just that. Not sure if he will be successful his first year or not but I hope for the teams sake he is. Chow needs a lot of help from the defense to bring in some wins. Get that side of the ball going and I see this team making a good comeback from seasons past.

He was given a 2 year contract. I think that was part of the deal.
Clune is a smart man...he's got to hedge his bet. If Chow goes 3-9 next year and gets fired...at least he's getting paid for two years. Let's hope Chow and the players win more than three games next year.

WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by WarriorTyme »

Dave Aranda resume before becoming the DC at Hawaii:

1996-1998 California Lutheran (Grad Assistant)
1999-2001 Texas Tech (Grad Assistant)
2002-2003 Houston (LB's)
2005-2006 California Lutheran (Defensive Coordinator/LBs)
2007 Southern Utah (Defensive Coordinator)
2008 Hawaii (Defense Line)
2008-2009 Hawaii (Defensive Coordinator)

Kevin Clune resume before becoming the DC at Hawaii

2014 Hawaii- Defensive Coordinator

Both have experience as Defensive Coordinator, LB's and DL.

kalua pig
Starter
Starter

Post by kalua pig »

looks like a good hire considering the circumstances.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

Well he knows how to D the teams in our conference, he said he prefers the 3 man line and he did state that he adjusts to the talent on the team. Seems like he already has studied the defensive personnel.

Makana
Starter
Starter
MLB: San Francisco Giants
NBA: The Bay Warriors
NFL: San Francisco 49ers

Post by Makana »

Anyone know what type of defense he favors or will install?
“Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere.”
― Albert Einstein

“Jiu-Jitsu is like a philosophy. It helps me learn how to face life.”
-Helio Gracie

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

Makana wrote:Anyone know what type of defense he favors or will install?
Tsai's story today --->

The Aggies were successful with an multiple-attacking defense rooted in a 3-4 scheme. Clune said he will try to mesh attacking schemes with the Warriors' personnel. He said defense begins with the basics -- "play hard, play smart" -- and expands to situational strategy.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

WarriorTyme wrote:Dave Aranda resume before becoming the DC at Hawaii:

1996-1998 California Lutheran (Grad Assistant)
1999-2001 Texas Tech (Grad Assistant)
2002-2003 Houston (LB's)
2005-2006 California Lutheran (Defensive Coordinator/LBs)
2007 Southern Utah (Defensive Coordinator)
2008 Hawaii (Defense Line)
2008-2009 Hawaii (Defensive Coordinator)

Kevin Clune resume before becoming the DC at Hawaii

2014 Hawaii- Defensive Coordinator

Both have experience as Defensive Coordinator, LB's and DL.
You left out a few details: Dave Aranda was Clune's boss at Utah State, and Chow fired Aranda. Now Chow has hired one of Aranda's proteges. I'm glad Chow has finally decided to hire someone from a winning program. Hopefully, some of Aranda's savvy has rubbed off on Clune.