Losing Miller, Sampson, Bowens, Dew

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Re: Losing Miller, Sampson, Bowens

Post by kapakahi »

Add Lui Fuga, Wayne Hunter, Travis Laboy to the list of transfers to UH.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

I've lost the ability to be disappointed with anything that happens in this program. $$$ for coaches, recruiting budget, losing like crazy.....Hawaii just seems to be falling backwards at the worst possible time.

Sucks to lose those guys, but does it really matter? The team already had lots of talent and finished 1-11. Three Pac-12 schools on next years schedule? Get ready for more of the same, regardless of who wears the uniforms.

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

We have had "highly touted" recruits leave after their first season here. It's not new. Off the top of my head, I think of Andrew Pearman. I think he was homesick and injuring his hamstring during Fall Camp exacerbated the situation, but I also suspect that then Virginia coach Al Groh manipulated the situation to get a recruit who had decommitted back. I think Andrew would have become a star here if he stayed with his mid-10 second 100 meter speed, the JJ offense, and more opportunities to shine.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Duster wrote:We have had "highly touted" recruits leave after their first season here. It's not new. Off the top of my head, I think of Andrew Pearman. I think he was homesick and injuring his hamstring during Fall Camp exacerbated the situation, but I also suspect that then Virginia coach Al Groh manipulated the situation to get a recruit who had decommitted back. I think Andrew would have become a star here if he stayed with his mid-10 second 100 meter speed, the JJ offense, and more opportunities to shine.
Also during the JJ and Mack era, these guys left after 1 season.
DT Kenyotta Marshall (Grand Valley St then 3 years in the NFL),
OT Keola Loo (Wash St, now current Grad Assistant coaching the OLine at Arizona St),
DT Abu Maafala (CAL, former Grad Assistant coaching the DLine at Louisville ),
CB Ray Bass (Idaho),
QB Jack Rolovich (Montana St),
QB Taylor Humphery (UMASS)
DE/RB Korey Reynolds out of Hoover HS in Alabama, (East Carolina)
Walkon OT David Garness (USC),
Walkon LS Chad Preacher (Fresno St),
Walkon QB Steele Jantz (Iowa St),

Other guys during the JJ or Mack era who transferred to a D1:
QB Mike Harrison (LSU),
OT Jeremy Inferrera (Utah),
S Lewis Walker (Utah),
K Britton Forrester (Arkansas),

Old Diver
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Old Diver »

BigWave96744 wrote:
Duster wrote:We have had "highly touted" recruits leave after their first season here. It's not new. Off the top of my head, I think of Andrew Pearman. I think he was homesick and injuring his hamstring during Fall Camp exacerbated the situation, but I also suspect that then Virginia coach Al Groh manipulated the situation to get a recruit who had decommitted back. I think Andrew would have become a star here if he stayed with his mid-10 second 100 meter speed, the JJ offense, and more opportunities to shine.
Also during the JJ and Mack era, these guys left after 1 season.
DT Kenyotta Marshall (Grand Valley St then 3 years in the NFL),
OT Keola Loo (Wash St, now current Grad Assistant coaching the OLine at Arizona St),
DT Abu Maafala (CAL, former Grad Assistant coaching the DLine at Louisville ),
CB Ray Bass (Idaho),
QB Jack Rolovich (Montana St),
QB Taylor Humphery (UMASS)
DE/RB Korey Reynolds out of Hoover HS in Alabama, (East Carolina)
Walkon OT David Garness (USC),
Walkon LS Chad Preacher (Fresno St),
Walkon QB Steele Jantz (Iowa St),

Other guys during the JJ or Mack era who transferred to a D1:
QB Mike Harrison (LSU),
OT Jeremy Inferrera (Utah),
S Lewis Walker (Utah),
K Britton Forrester (Arkansas),
The difference is that list is over a twelve to fourteen year period. The number key of players leaving Chow over the past two years tops that list.

allshownogo
Starter
Starter
NBA: Pistons, Nuggets
NFL: Broncos, Lions

Post by allshownogo »

blake miur
"We just need 11 guys to run like a mother to football and hit somebody"

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

amela wrote:My friends think their leaving is due to the fans disrespect for the team, coach and university. The lack of support and the negative blogs from people who don't attend the games have an affect on these young men. These people probably call their kids stupid and inadequate because that's what their parents told them. It's basically their upbringing.
No, it's because these people are fans and get engulfed in the game of football. Basically the opposite of, "it's just a game."
Because all we get to see of the teams and these players is the games and them being on the field and even then, they're behind the facemasks of their helmets. All of that helps in forgetting that these players are just kids and humans like the rest of us. I think it just has to do with the culture of sports and how high of a pedestal athletes are placed on.

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings

Post by bigislandkurt »

...sure wish we could have found a way to keep Bowens.
Friendship is Essential to the Soul

Haynr8dr
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NBA: Boston Celtics
NFL: Oakland RAIDERS!

Post by Haynr8dr »

J-Rod wrote:Three Pac-12 schools on next years schedule? Get ready for more of the same, regardless of who wears the uniforms.
Agreed.

It's quite simple, actually. The difference between the "haves" and "have nots".

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HawaiianHogster »

If a recruit wants to pave a road for others to follow and to shine he can do that here at Hawaii.

If a recruit wants to follow others and be hidden behind others he can do that somewhere else. If a recruit wants to make himself appear to be better than he really is he can do that elsewhere. It doesn't take much effort to look good playing under the best teams. Anybody can look good doing that. Why take the lazy, easy way out?

Come to Hawaii and you earn every bit of what you put into it. The thing is it will show big time on the field. Everyone will take notice. I would rather be the reason Hawaii is winning games than be a nobody on a team that wins most of their games.

Things that come easy you don't learn much from them. It is the difficult challenges that you learn the most from.

Hawaii would be my first pick.
“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”

RWcoogs
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by RWcoogs »

He will still be playing for UH just the other one to the east. Looks like a tough loss for the Hawaii OL.

http://www.uhcougars.com/sports/m-footb ... 14aab.html

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

RWcoogs wrote:He will still be playing for UH just the other one to the east. Looks like a tough loss for the Hawaii OL.

http://www.uhcougars.com/sports/m-footb ... 14aab.html
Rejoining his former OL coach Gordy Shaw......who recruited him to UH in the first place.....
http://www.uhcougars.com/sports/m-footb ... 81747.html