Which Warrior player do you think is poised for stardom?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Which Warrior player do you think is poised for stardom?

Post by sarvicdar »

Re-Which Warrior player do you think is poised for stardom?

Darryl McBride.

Here's a player with all the attributes, size, speed, instincts and explosiveness.

Here's a player that's a hybrid, a former safety now playing outside linebacker.

Here's a player that didn't get many reps and chances in 2011 to prove himself.

But if you remember the player that made the biggest impact in the spring practices of 2011 was Darryl McBride. In my opinion the player was unstoppable, capturing all the headlines and superlatives, leading the defense in all the scrimmages with sacks.

Personally I thought Darryl McBride was the best linebacker on the team going into fall camp of 2011. And then it stopped. Not because of the light bulb not going off in his head, but because he didn't have a chance to play.

The times he did get to play in 2011, a few reps here and there, I personally thought he couldn't have played his position any better.

Call it more than a hunch. I asked others that follow football, including a former player, the following question and they seemed to mutually agree (with one making a good argument for Sterling Jackson).

I've read many biographies of sport's stars and their road to stardom. The keys are hard word. Transition from one level to the next. Having innate ability, size, talent,speed etc...and a relentless pursuit in wanting to get better. And having opportunity. And, mostly, having coaches along the way recognizing the player's potential.

I hope Darryl McBride gets a chance this year. I'm hungry for his success, mainly because there's a lot untapped potential I see in him.

Okay so that's my answer. There are others Warrior players for sure. At the end of the 2012 season, when it's all said and done, which player(s) do you think will rise to the top, make your eyes open wide...and make you say whoa!!! (?)

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Which Warrior player do you think is poised for stardom

Post by J-Rod »

Will Gregory.....Think he's the teams only true RB. He was wanted by quite a few football programs coming out of high school. Think he emerges as a long-term solution at RB this year.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

tightend.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

Hawkpeter
Starter
Starter

Post by Hawkpeter »

Taylor Graham. So we're not going to know much more till next year obviously, but the positive thinking in me says that if the Warriors are going to be a force under the Coach Chow regime then Graham will need to ascend the starting position in 2013 and play to his potential.

Graham NEEDS to be poised for stardom. That is the best way for the Warriors to be a successful team. Others will no doubt rise to the occasion but let's face it, a good QB is one of the few players who can actually change things by themselves; so if there is going to be stardom.... its going to come from him.

This is not the first time that I have heard great things about Mr McBride. I hope he has a great season.

Makai TailG8TAZ
Starter
Starter

Post by Makai TailG8TAZ »

Hawkpeter wrote:Taylor Graham. So we're not going to know much more till next year obviously, but the positive thinking in me says that if the Warriors are going to be a force under the Coach Chow regime then Graham will need to ascend the starting position in 2013 and play to his potential.

Graham NEEDS to be poised for stardom. That is the best way for the Warriors to be a successful team. Others will no doubt rise to the occasion but let's face it, a good QB is one of the few players who can actually change things by themselves; so if there is going to be stardom.... its going to come from him.

This is not the first time that I have heard great things about Mr McBride. I hope he has a great season.
I would have to agree. In addition, we lose no Olinemen, he will have a year off to study the offense, and the running backs will be there to get his back.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Joey.
I can't remember the last time we had a freshman running back lead the team.
I'm looking for more from this former quarterback. Chow's gonna make it happen.

al
All-conference
All-conference

Post by al »

Hawkpeter wrote:Taylor Graham. So we're not going to know much more till next year obviously, but the positive thinking in me says that if the Warriors are going to be a force under the Coach Chow regime then Graham will need to ascend the starting position in 2013 and play to his potential.

i agree with you hawkpeter. taylor "made" graham is the one. there are other candidates, but, two freshmen olinemen also jump out of the pages. one is "big" ben clarke who came out of nowhere, so to speak, and has beat out the projected starter at center.

the other, is your own blake "bloke" muir. thrust into the left tackle spot says a lot about his potential and coaches have already recognized this.

i know hawkpeter is somewhat modest, but, i believe that he deserves a hand in how he has helped blake craft his skills, physicality, and sport knowledge by taking his time with a well thought out road map for blake.

hats off to you mate!

btw, is blake's kid brother going to follow in his footsteps?

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

Agree as to Will Gregory, Blake Muir. I'd add T.J. Taimatuia.

Hawkpeter
Starter
Starter

Post by Hawkpeter »

Duster rightly mentions Taimatuia, (prediction) he will lead the tackle count this year as a sophomore, that wont go unnoticed. Definitely, whichever running back who collects the majority of carries is going to have a whiff of stardom about them.

Thank you for the kind words Al, being this is a thread about potential, its one of the few times we can talk about players who have played either not very much or at all. I will upload some footage of some of the off season training that Blake is doing in a few weeks. UH has very few spots for OL next year, and they are on the look out for highly rated players who may not commit until the last minute. Whilst Blake's brother Sean knows where he wants to go, he has to seriously look at his other offers unfortunately, can't afford to miss out on other good opportunities.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

I had to think long and hard on this one because there are so many to choose from. But the one that got me has to be Ben Clarke. To start at center as a true freshman takes a very special athlete.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

I keep thinking that this season we are going to see some pancake blocks by TEs or FBs... along with some big FB/TE dragging players across the first down marker. Those are the plays that will get the fans off their seats this season. Hopefully it will be enough to keep the seats filled.

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

al
All-conference
All-conference

Post by al »

another sleeper is ben "mountain" dew.
mike edwards.
joey iosefa.
moses samia.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

I think Art Laurel will shine. the entire secondary should get a lot of love as well.

MadCat88
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by MadCat88 »

Scott Harding - not the blistering fast receiver who leaves defenders in the dust - but has excellent hands, quick motion, and best of all - has "game". I'm looking for lots of YAC from him.

alohalo
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by alohalo »

Two letters- T D