Is the run and shoot dead in Hawaii?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Re: Is the run and shoot dead in Hawaii?

Post by Irse »

H20 wrote:
dcwarrior wrote:
H20 wrote:Doesn't have to be the run-n-shoot for us to be prolific at passing. I wouldn't want to force the run-n-shoot if it means turning down other great coaches
LOL, I don't think we will be having the problem of having to turn down a great coach...
Didn't we turned down Kevin Gilbride in the McMackin hire, and who knows who else in favor of ease and continuity
But that was the year the Giants went to the Super Bowl and I doubt he would have left the team early.
ImageImage

H20
MLB: Not a big fan of MLB.
NBA: Celtics
NFL: Falcons

Post by H20 »

A great coach was interested though, which is what dcwarrior was trying to say wouldn't happen.

polywarrior4life
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: San Fransico Giants
NBA: Chicago Bulls
NFL: San Francisco 49ers

Post by polywarrior4life »

I would love to see the new coach come in with a balanced offense with a TE, but I know that would be too much to ask for considering the personnel we currently have on offense the last decade in a half, built for the RnS. Our linemans maybe small, but we where born to move mountains. We need pass protect linemans to make the RnS work, for sure.
Individual commitment to a group effort - that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work. VINCE LOMBARDI

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

H20 wrote:A great coach was interested though, which is what dcwarrior was trying to say wouldn't happen.
The situation has changed and some of the haters are asking for his head. Maybe someone should send him a message.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

dcwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by dcwarrior »

Here's the Q: Gilbride is an Xs and Os kind of guy, and mostly at the NFL level, correct? Does he have the kind of experience necessary to be the CEO of team? PR, recruiting, fundraising? Can he successfully simplify his schemes to work with limited practice and limited skill sets?

Otherwise, see Weis, Charlie.
Substance matters.

season ticket holder
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by season ticket holder »

Honestly I think the R&S takes to long to grasp, well from what we are told every year about kids still learning the offense.

We will still be a pass heavy team based on the current recruits. The AD needs to keep this in mind when hiring the new coach, for example hiring someone who would install a pro style offense would take at least 2-3 years just to get the personnel.

It would make more sense to look for someone who would install the airraid or spread option style of offense.

Maybe we go read option with Iosefa as qb. Tebow!

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

dcwarrior wrote:Here's the Q: Gilbride is an Xs and Os kind of guy, and mostly at the NFL level, correct? Does he have the kind of experience necessary to be the CEO of team? PR, recruiting, fundraising? Can he successfully simplify his schemes to work with limited practice and limited skill sets?

That might been said about JJ. Gilbride was a college head coach before albeit at a small college and in the 80s.
ImageImage

Small~Axe
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by Small~Axe »

A common saying with the RNS is "they finally got it down". Sadly for JC guys its in the middle or end of their senior year.

Typically a QB or receiver who hasn't run it in HS or JC will take 3 years to "Get It"
If you are the big tree,
We are the small axe,
Ready to cut you down,
Sharpened to cut you down - Bob

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

Irse wrote:
dcwarrior wrote:Here's the Q: Gilbride is an Xs and Os kind of guy, and mostly at the NFL level, correct? Does he have the kind of experience necessary to be the CEO of team? PR, recruiting, fundraising? Can he successfully simplify his schemes to work with limited practice and limited skill sets?

That might been said about JJ. Gilbride was a college head coach before albeit at a small college and in the 80s.

Sounds like Mack... who was also a head coach at at small college in the 80's.

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

Desert Isle
Play Maker
Play Maker
MLB: Diamondbacks
NBA: Suns
NFL: Cardinals

Post by Desert Isle »

As a mainlander who likes to watch late-night football I would love if you guys kept the run-n-shoot around (or another pass-heavy offense). But you have to get the best possible coach for your school. Good luck in the search!

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

Stallion wrote:As a mainlander who likes to watch late-night football I would love if you guys kept the run-n-shoot around (or another pass-heavy offense). But you have to get the best possible coach for your school. Good luck in the search!
Not a good year for Arizona, too. You guys still keeping your HC?

EDIT... Nevermind, I just realized it's his first year. Good luck next season!

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

rodfather
All-American
All-American

Post by rodfather »

It will be up to the new coach. A spread offense featuring multiple receivers and maybe a TE or two airing it out ala the Mike Leach Air Raid or the Joe Tiller Purdue spread attack would be the best fit utilizing all the WRs we have on the roster now. Also, alot of these play do not have the complex multiple sight adjusted routes that the run and shoot has. They here the play and run the route. It all depends on the coach, if he wants to ground and pound it then we'd have to recruit all these Fullbacks, H-Backs and TEs. Besides, some fans always complain. During the triple option era, they wanted more passing. During the run and shoot era, they wanted more running.
"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat." --- Jigoro Kano, The Founder of Judo

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

rodfather wrote:It will be up to the new coach. A spread offense featuring multiple receivers and maybe a TE or two airing it out ala the Mike Leach Air Raid or the Joe Tiller Purdue spread attack would be the best fit utilizing all the WRs we have on the roster now. Also, alot of these play do not have the complex multiple sight adjusted routes that the run and shoot has. They here the play and run the route. It all depends on the coach, if he wants to ground and pound it then we'd have to recruit all these Fullbacks, H-Backs and TEs. Besides, some fans always complain. During the triple option era, they wanted more passing. During the run and shoot era, they wanted more running.
I want all of the above.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

Desert Isle
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by Desert Isle »

madeinhawaii wrote:Not a good year for Arizona, too. You guys still keeping your HC?

EDIT... Nevermind, I just realized it's his first year. Good luck next season!
Yep, we fired Mike Stoops midseason and hired Rich Rodriguez right before our final game. I was hesitant at first because of his Michigan experience but I'm on board now.

Then our hated rival, Arizona State, fired their coach after the season (after we beat them 8) ) and now the word is they're hiring June Jones! Wild times in the state of AZ.

So, the RnS may end up dead in Hawai'i but it's going to live on in the Pac-12!

Desert Isle
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by Desert Isle »

Stallion wrote:So, the RnS may end up dead in Hawai'i but it's going to live on in the Pac-12!
Not so fast, me! If you're not following the JJ crazyness in the Sports Forum here's the thread:

JJ accepts ASU's offer then ASU says, "Just kidding."