August 1st and 10 w/JD will be on August 1st at 10:00AM

Talk about sports like the NFL, MLB, NBA, NCAA, Fantasy, Boxing, MMA along with any other sports you follow.
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: Atlanta Braves
NBA: Atlanta Hawks
NFL: San Diego Chargers

August 1st and 10 w/JD will be on August 1st at 10:00AM

Post by Scott »

Jim Donovan will be chatting live from 10:00 am to 11:00 am on Monday, August 1st. If you can't be here then, please post your questions in this thread. One question at a time. Preference will be given to live questions but hopefully we should be able to have all questions answered.
"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

Mahalo,
Scott
http://www.sportshawaii.com
"Hawaii's Fan Based Sports Page"

MANAx
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer
MLB: San Francisco Giants
NBA: Golden State Warriors
NFL: San Francisco 49ers

Re: August 1st and 10 w/JD will be on August 1st at 10:00AM

Post by MANAx »

Hey Jim , i got 2 questions if you don't mind

1st question:
With a deal for the Aloha Stadium turf name in which I truly believe will go to Hawaiian Air (Hawaiian Airlines field @ Aloha Stadium) but i could be wrong ,
Will UH see any profit off of the turf name? From what I heard MRC Greenwood is tracking sponsors to help with travel subs , could you explain that more

2nd question:
For our new UA football uniforms ,
Do we have Green Alternates and will the basketball team make a jump from Addidas to UA apparel in the feature?
Last edited by MANAx on Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Aloha Jim,

I was wondering if you had a chance to digest my suggestion for a rivalry trophy with the Naval Academy.

For the Sake of the SportsHawaii Ohana, here is the research I did and forwarded to the AD and SID's office :D
A few years ago I was privileged to have dinner at the Captain’s quarters aboard the USS Chung-Hoon (DDG-93), an Arleigh Burke-class Aegis destroyer based out at Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard.

I had never heard of the ship and wondered about the origins of its name. I found out that this battleship was named after Rear Admiral Gordon Pai'ea Chung-Hoon who was the first Asian-American and Native Hawaiian to graduate from the U.S. Naval Academy and also valued member of the Navy Football team, where he played halfback and punter.

He is a recipient of the Navy Cross and Silver Star for conspicuous gallantry and extraordinary heroism as Commanding Officer of USS Sigsbee (DD 502) during World War II (from May 1944 to October 1945). In the spring of 1945, Sigsbee assisted in the destruction of 20 enemy planes while screening a carrier strike force off the Japanese island of Kyushu. On April 14, 1945, while on radar picket station off Okinawa, a kamikaze crashed into Sigsbee, reducing her starboard engine to five knots and knocking out the ship's port engine and steering control. Despite the damage, Admiral Chung-Hoon, then a Commander, valiantly kept his anti-aircraft batteries delivering "prolonged and effective fire" against the continuing enemy air attack while simultaneously directing the damage control efforts that allowed Sigsbee to make port under her own power.

The reason why I’m bring this up is that, with all the talks of restoring old rivalries (Wyoming and the Paniolo Trophy) and Air Force (The Kuter Trophy is named for the late Gen. Laurence S. Kuter, the first head of the Pacific Air Forces Command in 1957), wouldn’t it great start a new rivalry with the Naval Academy and have the winner claim the “Chung-Hoon Trophy”? With his ties to both Hawaii and the Naval Academy, both sides would take pride in the prize.

Oh and finally, and let’s not forget the motto of the USS Chung-Hoon is “Imua e Na Koa Kai” - Go Forward Sea Warriors.

References:
http://www.public.navy.mil/surfor/ddg93 ... story.aspx
http://www.public.navy.mil/surfor/ddg93 ... fault.aspx
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Chung-Hoon_(DDG-93)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordon_Pai%27ea_Chung-Hoon
http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/artic ... ln05a.html
Image Image

chawan_cut
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by chawan_cut »

In a follow up to BigWave's question above. Has anything been done to see if some sort of "partnership" could be worked out with the namesake submarine of our state, the USS Hawaii? Team with them to provide Hawaii sports memorabilia and other gear to decorate their wardroom and crew's mess. And also have our various sports teams come down for tours and see how the boat's crew works together as a team of their own to operate the sub. And in turn, maybe provide their crew with opportunities to be guests at various games, etc.
As I had mentioned in a previous Q&A, many of the other boat's out here have similar partnerships with their namesake city/state.
Thanks for your time!
c_c
Go Warriors! Go Na Wahine!

letsgobows
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets

Post by letsgobows »

not sure if you are allowed to discuss this or not, but we will be allowed to wear our all black uniforms at home next season when we join the MWC? i am just asking bc Boise will not be allowed to wear all blue on their blue turf as a stipulation for joining the MWC. in an article by the star advertiser last week, pat hill was complaining about our all black uniforms. i hope they dont get "banned" like Boise's all blues. although, that would force us to wear all green at home on green turf which is kind of funny...
college football=drama for men.
GO WARRIORS!

SunTzuWarrior
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by SunTzuWarrior »

I love that you are promoting Mighty Mo as a Heisman Candidate, the question I have is if you will be setting up the bryantmonizforheisman.com website or will you only be redirecting it to facebook as it is now? I think a website dedicated to his accomplishments and tally what he will be doing this year would be a lot more effective. The facebook platform was not made for this and the thread style of posting will make it difficult to follow for first time visitors. Great promo video!
Making no mistakes is what establishes the certainty of victory,
for it means conquering an enemy that is already defeated.
- Sun Tzu

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: Atlanta Braves
NBA: Atlanta Hawks
NFL: San Diego Chargers

Post by Scott »

Wow, where did the summer go, the last two months came and went with the blink of an eye! The positive thing about summer ending is that Warrior football is right around the corner! Once again please take this opportunity to share any events and/or activities that you would like to share with the Ohana! Thank you!
"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

Mahalo,
Scott
http://www.sportshawaii.com
"Hawaii's Fan Based Sports Page"

Jim Donovan
Insider
Insider

Post by Jim Donovan »

Good morning! I can't believe it's already August! Let's get started.

Jim Donovan
Insider
Insider

Post by Jim Donovan »

MANAx wrote:Hey Jim , i got 2 questions if you don't mind

1st question:
With a deal for the Aloha Stadium turf name in which I truly believe will go to Hawaiian Air (Hawaiian Airlines field @ Aloha Stadium) but i could be wrong ,
Will UH see any profit off of the turf name? From what I heard MRC Greenwood is tracking sponsors to help with travel subs , could you explain that more

2nd question:
For our new UA football uniforms ,
Do we have Green Alternates and will the basketball team make a jump from Addidas to UA apparel in the feature?
------------------------------------------------------

MANAx -

In regards to the Aloha Stadium field-naming "deal", we are not involved in that situation. I do not believe that Aloha Stadium management has made any official comment on this issue even though there was an article in the Star Advertiser that did quote a contractor working on Aloha Stadium's behalf. Scott Chan and I communicate regularly, so if there is something "concrete" that develops regarding this issue, I'm sure he'll let us know.

For this upcoming football season, we have the uniforms that were displayed during the press conference a couple of weeks ago. There is always the option of mix/match the tops and bottoms that are being provided for the season -- but no "green" uniform this year that I'm aware of.

As far as the basketball team switching to Under Armour, that's a decision for head coach Gib Arnold. I know that Adidas provided him very good support in his inaugural season, so I'm sure making a decision to switch will take some careful thought on his part.

Jim Donovan
Insider
Insider

Post by Jim Donovan »

BigWave96744 wrote:Aloha Jim,

I was wondering if you had a chance to digest my suggestion for a rivalry trophy with the Naval Academy.

For the Sake of the SportsHawaii Ohana, here is the research I did and forwarded to the AD and SID's office :D
A few years ago I was privileged to have dinner at the Captain’s quarters aboard the USS Chung-Hoon (DDG-93), an Arleigh Burke-class Aegis destroyer based out at Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard.

I had never heard of the ship and wondered about the origins of its name. I found out that this battleship was named after Rear Admiral Gordon Pai'ea Chung-Hoon who was the first Asian-American and Native Hawaiian to graduate from the U.S. Naval Academy and also valued member of the Navy Football team, where he played halfback and punter.

He is a recipient of the Navy Cross and Silver Star for conspicuous gallantry and extraordinary heroism as Commanding Officer of USS Sigsbee (DD 502) during World War II (from May 1944 to October 1945). In the spring of 1945, Sigsbee assisted in the destruction of 20 enemy planes while screening a carrier strike force off the Japanese island of Kyushu. On April 14, 1945, while on radar picket station off Okinawa, a kamikaze crashed into Sigsbee, reducing her starboard engine to five knots and knocking out the ship's port engine and steering control. Despite the damage, Admiral Chung-Hoon, then a Commander, valiantly kept his anti-aircraft batteries delivering "prolonged and effective fire" against the continuing enemy air attack while simultaneously directing the damage control efforts that allowed Sigsbee to make port under her own power.

The reason why I’m bring this up is that, with all the talks of restoring old rivalries (Wyoming and the Paniolo Trophy) and Air Force (The Kuter Trophy is named for the late Gen. Laurence S. Kuter, the first head of the Pacific Air Forces Command in 1957), wouldn’t it great start a new rivalry with the Naval Academy and have the winner claim the “Chung-Hoon Trophy”? With his ties to both Hawaii and the Naval Academy, both sides would take pride in the prize.

Oh and finally, and let’s not forget the motto of the USS Chung-Hoon is “Imua e Na Koa Kai” - Go Forward Sea Warriors.

References:
http://www.public.navy.mil/surfor/ddg93 ... story.aspx
http://www.public.navy.mil/surfor/ddg93 ... fault.aspx
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Chung-Hoon_(DDG-93)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordon_Pai%27ea_Chung-Hoon
http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/artic ... ln05a.html
Image Image
-------------------------------------------------

BigWave96744 –

I appreciate your efforts to have us consider creating a UH vs. Naval Academy trophy that can be shared and held by the winner for our football games. Currently, we’re scheduled to play at Navy in 2013, and they return here in 2015. I’ll discuss this concept with their athletic director and see if they have any interest.

That said, it makes a lot of sense for us to reinstitute the Paniolo Trophy with Wyoming and the Kuter Trophy with the Air Force Academy, because these trophies have been around 30+ years – and we’re going to be playing these teams on an annual basis when we make the move to the Mountain West Conference in 2012.

With the Naval Academy, we are certainly hopeful to have more games scheduled in our future (after the 2015 date), but the reality is we don’t know if this will become a reality. Therefore, if there is not at least semi-regularly scheduled games between us and the Naval Academy, it would make less sense to create a trophy like this.

Without a doubt, if we do create a trophy like this as you suggest, Admiral Chung-Hoon would be an excellent choice to name the trophy after. I’m sure there are a few other worthy individuals that should also be considered, and we may even reach out to the Navy League of Honolulu for their feedback on this subject. Thanks for your excellent suggestions and research!

Jim Donovan
Insider
Insider

Post by Jim Donovan »

chawan_cut wrote:In a follow up to BigWave's question above. Has anything been done to see if some sort of "partnership" could be worked out with the namesake submarine of our state, the USS Hawaii? Team with them to provide Hawaii sports memorabilia and other gear to decorate their wardroom and crew's mess. And also have our various sports teams come down for tours and see how the boat's crew works together as a team of their own to operate the sub. And in turn, maybe provide their crew with opportunities to be guests at various games, etc.
As I had mentioned in a previous Q&A, many of the other boat's out here have similar partnerships with their namesake city/state.
Thanks for your time!
c_c
-------------------------------------------

chawan_cut -

For many years when I served as Assistant and Associate Athletic Director under Stan Sheriff and Hugh Yoshida, we had a relationship with the U.S.S. Honolulu (Los Angeles attack submarine) while it was stationed at Pearl Harbor (it was decommissioned a few years ago).

During this time period, I got to meet Commander Greenert (who is now an admiral) and Commander Jones (who retired as a captain about a decade ago). We provided several opportunities for the entire crew to attend football and baseball games, and we provided them with some UH athletics sports memorabilia.

Stan Sheriff and I were fortunate enough to go out on a VIP cruise the year before he passed away. It was a lot of fun and extremely educational. I’ll always remember Stan at the controls of the submarine and the big smile he had on his face as he looked through the periscope. About five years later, I was able to go out again with Hugh Yoshida and a few key supporters of UH Athletics. On this trip, we were able to do “angles and dangles”, which was very impressive.

I’ll see if we can’t build some kind of “support relationship” with the U.S.S. Hawaii similar to what we enjoyed with the U.S.S. Honolulu. Thanks for the suggestion.

Jim Donovan
Insider
Insider

Post by Jim Donovan »

letsgobows wrote:not sure if you are allowed to discuss this or not, but we will be allowed to wear our all black uniforms at home next season when we join the MWC? i am just asking bc Boise will not be allowed to wear all blue on their blue turf as a stipulation for joining the MWC. in an article by the star advertiser last week, pat hill was complaining about our all black uniforms. i hope they dont get "banned" like Boise's all blues. although, that would force us to wear all green at home on green turf which is kind of funny...
--------------------------------------------

letsgobows -

As far as I know, we’ll be allowed to wear our all black uniforms. I think the issue with Boise State wearing dark blue jerseys on the dark blue turf was two-fold. First, it is very difficult for the coaches to watch video and to accurately determine what’s happening on the video (at least in the “normal” time frame that it takes to watch video of other teams) because the jerseys literally blend into the field and at best all you see is white numbers moving around. This makes it hard to tell pre-snap alignment and coverages.

I think Coach Hill from Fresno has a problem with the black jerseys because the numbers are too small not because the black blends in with the green field turf. Maybe there’s a need to have the numbers be a certain height (i.e. a minimum of 10 inches in height) so it’s easier for teams that are scouting us to tell who’s who. I’m afraid this easy-to-read numbers concept would apply to all teams. Since we are getting new jerseys this year, maybe the problem will no longer exist – we’ll just have to wait and see.

But to my knowledge, the only team in the Mountain West that’s been asked to make a change – and the only conversation I’ve heard in this regard – just applies to Boise State’s dark blue jerseys on their dark blue turf.

Jim Donovan
Insider
Insider

Post by Jim Donovan »

SunTzuWarrior wrote:I love that you are promoting Mighty Mo as a Heisman Candidate, the question I have is if you will be setting up the bryantmonizforheisman.com website or will you only be redirecting it to facebook as it is now? I think a website dedicated to his accomplishments and tally what he will be doing this year would be a lot more effective. The facebook platform was not made for this and the thread style of posting will make it difficult to follow for first time visitors. Great promo video!
-------------------------------------------------

SunTzuWarrior -

I walked down the hall and got Derek Inouchi, our Director of Media Relations, so that he could answer your question in depth. Derek, take it away…

Hi, SunTzuWarrior –

This is Derek. The Bryant Moniz for Heisman campaign will strictly be on a social media platform. You do not need to be a Facebook user in order to access the page; it is a public website open to anyone – you do not have to register and/or log-in in order to view it. One of the best qualities of social media is that we can reach out to our fans more readily than a stand alone website. By just becoming a fan, you will receive daily updates posted on the site. If you are not a Facebook fan, you can still access the same information. (The information is "pushed" to you, versus you having to log onto a website -- this means there's a greater chance you'll see more of the Bryant Moniz updates through Facebook than you might through a website. Facebook is an active source of information while a website would be more passive.)

This is the first time we’ve done a social media campaign, and we’re still adapting to feedback we receive from our fans. Thank you for your support!

Jim Donovan
Insider
Insider

Post by Jim Donovan »

Thank you very much for having me on again! I need to head off to my next appointment. My assistant will once again post the upcoming events. See you next month!

Jim Donovan
Insider
Insider

Post by Jim Donovan »

Scott wrote:Wow, where did the summer go, the last two months came and went with the blink of an eye! The positive thing about summer ending is that Warrior football is right around the corner! Once again please take this opportunity to share any events and/or activities that you would like to share with the Ohana! Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------
Jim's assistant writes:

Scott -

Yes, we can't believe summer is almost over! We can just feel the excitement with our sports season starting up in less than a month. Here are our upcoming/ongoing events:

* Season tickets for women's volleyball and football are currently on sale. Please come out and support our student-athletes!

* Murphy's Pigskin Pigout is on August 25, 2011, 6:00 pm – 10:00 pm at Murphy’s Bar & Grill. Proceeds benefit Na Koa Football Club and Hawaii Bowl Foundation. Tickets are $100 (hosted food and beverage). Tickets can be purchased at the door or at: etickethawaii.com

* The Na Koa Bowl is scheduled for August 29, 2011. Details are forthcoming. Last year’s inaugural “telethon” was a success. Thanks for everyone’s support! Check Ahahui Koa Anuenue's Calendar of Events for updated information. The link is:
http://www.koaanuenue.org/calendar.asp

* The UH Athletics Golf Tournament in Los Angeles, CA is on September, 14, 2011 at Industry Hills Golf Club. Shotgun start is at 9:00 am. Four-person team is $600. Team and tee signage package is just $700. The link for the registration form is:
http://www.koaanuenue.org/docs/events/A ... 110914.pdf

* First-year Soccer Head Coach Michele Nagamine and her squad will kick off the season against Washington State on August 19, 2011 at 7:00 pm at Waipio Soccer Complex. Come out and cheer on the Rainbow Wahine under its new leadership!

* UH Athletics and UH Alumni Association (UHAA) will host events in conjunction with away football games. Please check the UHAA website for more details. It’s so exciting to see our awesome fans take it to the road! UHAA website link: http://uhalumni.org/s/1220/start.aspx

* In conjunction with the UH vs. UNLV football game in Las Vegas, NV, Boyd Group and UH Athletics will be putting on some events including a pre-game tailgate featuring Amy Hanaiali`i at the parking lot across the California Hotel & Casino on Saturday, Sept. 17th as well as a concert brunch with Amy Hanaiali`i at the Cal on Sunday, Sept. 18th. For more information, the link is: http://static.boydgaming.net/downtown09 ... yer_05.pdf
For game ticket/tailgate package information, go to:
http:ww.thecal.com/whats-new/events/uh-vs-unlv-football-game-2011!

As you can see, we have a lot going on with the new sports season fast-approaching. Thank you very much for all your support of UH Athletics!! See you in September!