Colorado Buffaloes PreGame Thread

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Colorado Buffaloes PreGame Thread

Post by J-Rod »

Got to read some other college football message boards and noticed multiple threads for opening day games. Figured I should get one going for the Warriors opener. I remember the interactions with Bama fans many seasons ago. While there don't seem to be many Buffs fans posting right now(Give it time) there's no reason we can't talk about the opener between Hawaii and Colorado.

Obviously this is the first return game in what will be a long series between Hawaii and Colorado. Colorado won 31-13 last season. Very deceiving score......cause it wasn't that lopsided. In fact, it appeared early as if UH just might blowout the Buffaloes. A combination of elevation, two weeks on the road, and poor execution in the red zone led to a Warrior defeat. This time around the Buffs come to Aloha Stadium. Hawaii loses a few very important players, and the Buffaloes are beginning a new regime with Jon Embree. The result? I don't know. Home field advantage is a huge plus for UH, but there will be key players on offense with little "prime time" experience. I remember a 2009 Warrior team that had the talent, just not the experience right away. Nearly resulted in a loss to the Central Arkansas Purple Bears. With that said, Embree's Buffs are brand new to his style. I could be wrong, but I don't see their transition being seamless.

Both teams have their issues, but the Warriors are the ones with a chip on their shoulders. There's nothing more frustrating in sports than losing to a team you are absolutely certain you could have and should have beaten. I think that just might be the determining factor.

Anyways......what do you all think? Warriors-Buffs on September 3rd.....

Link

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: Buffalo Bills

Re: Colorado Buffaloes Game.....

Post by wyokie »

Just my $0.02 which don't amount to jack squat in this economy. :roll:

But I could see Colorado beating Hawaii even though the game is in Hawaii. Now I could see a easy Hawaii mainly because of home field advantage for the Warriors, the distractions for the Buffalo players wanting to go to Waikiki Beach after CU's plane arrives and Mack and Co. wants to beat a big-name BCS program but.....

But I do believe CU-Boulder will win because....

A. Joe Embree wants to prove to Colorado fans that he deserves to be head coach especially since he's black. (BTW, I have no problem with skin color on a person just as long he/she is a good person and absolutely hates BYU with a vengeance).

B. Colorado wants start a new era for the program with a win against a good Non-BCS school.

C. A win over Hawaii for Colorado will make the PAC-12 feel good about taking a chance on adding a once-proud athletic program to a conference that has been one of THE top conferences in the country for 50+ years! A loss would embarrass the PAC-12.

Waryor
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Waryor »

i don't think anyone can predict what will happen since this is the season opener. colorado has a new coach, so we don't know if he's a good coach or a bad one.

hawaii has to replace 9 starters on offense, so we don't know if our offense will be good or bad.

Waryor
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Waryor »

J-Rod wrote:Got to read some other college football message boards and noticed multiple threads for opening day games. Figured I should get one going for the Warriors opener. I remember the interactions with Bama fans many seasons ago. While there don't seem to be many Buffs fans posting right now(Give it time) there's no reason we can't talk about the opener between Hawaii and Colorado.

Obviously this is the first return game in what will be a long series between Hawaii and Colorado. Colorado won 31-13 last season. Very deceiving score......cause it wasn't that lopsided....
very deceiving. i was at the game and sitting in the buffalo fan section right on the aisle. in the first half, buffalo fans walking up and down the aisle were already congratulating me saying that hawaii was going to kill colorado. it sure looked like it, if only we converted on those 1st and goals.

second half we got gassed and the altitude did us in. still the game was close until the very end, when two busted plays resulted in 2 late tds for the buffaloes.
Last edited by Waryor on Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HawaiianHogster »

Tough one.

UH will be the underdogs.

Colorado's new coaches has to prove themselves so they will have their team as ready as they can be for any game.

UH coaching staff, coming off an embarrassing loss to Tulsa, has to prove themselves with a win against a team they should have beat last year.

Colorado has new coaches which usually means a different look. The players are learning new systems or different ways of approaching them on all sides of the ball.

UH has a new offense in front of a very experienced senior QB. They have to learn about each others tendencies during game time. Team cohesiveness is a must. QB to WR route running in sink a must. Line blocking to give QB time a must. QB reading the defense blitzes a must and knowing when to throw short or long. Taking what the defense gives them. This will be our weakest link until they get some game time experience.

UH defense has allot of experience coming back. The D coordinator's second season back. They know his D better than last year. This should be the strong part of UH.

Special teams for UH has a great experienced coach that will improve their ratings in all facets of the game. This should be Uh's next strong point. I have no doubt about it.

Did Colorado bring in some great recruits? I don't know.

UH brought in some good recruits. We will get a chance to see them during fall camp before the season starts. Supposedly some will contribute right away.

Since our defense is our strongest point and our offense our weakest. I'll predict a low scoring game. A close game til the end. One that might be won by the team that has the ball last.

I will be surprised if Hawaii gets stampeded. I will be surprised if Colorado gets scalped. Since I'm a homer and I tend to go with my home team. I predict, prematurely, that UH will win it by one score and on their last drive. I would love to say Hawaii in a blowout.

This may change after reading about both teams fall camp post reports and analysis. If I get a chance to see them both.
“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”

uhwarrior23
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Braves
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Pats

Post by uhwarrior23 »

Hawaii will win!! Why? HAWAII IS the better team! Hawaii should've been up by 3-4 Td's @halftime of last seasons game in Boulder but missed opportunities early in the game came back to bite them in the butt! The Revenge factor will be in effect!!! Look for a Hawaii team led by their SR QB and and a defense that will SHOCK THE WORLD to stiffle the new look Buffs! Another key is Hawaii is at home! Yes it's an early season game and UH historically starts seasons of slow but this will be different. This is Mack's 4th season and he now has solid depth at every position on both sides of the ball. It also helps to have a SR QB back especially when you have inexperience returning at the WR position. I think Mouse adding the Pistol formation to the offense was a great decision. It gives the R&S another dimension! We may not have a RB as talented as AG but as a unit, these core of RB's will be solid led by Sterling Jackson! I will say this. It may take a game or 2 for the O to get into a great rythm but what gives me hope is the D. I think this has a chance to be a special D. We have a great front 7 returning. We lost some talent in the secondary but Mackand his staff did a great job recruiting. I expect Mike Edwards and Brandon Leslie to be starting in this game. Also having solid DB's like Richard Torres, Kenny Estes Tank Hopkins, John Hardy-Tuliau and Kawika Ornellas already in the program help a lot. An intangible factor could be big plays being made on ST. Look for Dick Tomey to have a ST unit that is extremely aggresive and will make big time plays in the return game. With that said, right now, i'll say the defense will make a lot of plays and give the O good field position. The difference this time is UH wil execute better in the redzone! UH wins 31-10!

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

new qb + new coach + season opener on road= loss for the buffs.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

gambit_808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Mariners
NFL: Raiders

Post by gambit_808 »

well its in hawaii so i gotta say its a disadvantage for buffs

revenge game.

our defense should play much better. really wasnt the d's fault anyway.

its really up to the o. we always get touted for our supposed "deadly" passing game.

however, in lots of games i felt the D really stepped up and helped the O....while it really wasnt the other way around.

so we will see. it depends on the line. give moniz time, its over.

there's a lot of talk about how this new coach is bringing in good talent and changing the locker room culture for the better.

pac-12 too, so we need to step up.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Way to early to have an idea what may happen there is just too many things that could happen between now and fall camp. Once they play the first quarter I will have a pretty good idea where they are as a team. I just hope the Warriors come out ready to play. They already have the game plan for Colorado so I hope the players will know it inside out when fall camp comes.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Grinch »

How come when Hawaii wins at home the other "was distracted."
But when Hawaii loses on the road - we never hear that we were distracted?
Last sea on Hawaii was the better team. Will prove it - again. :D
"The rise . . . of the Warriors."

808Paddler
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by 808Paddler »

xer 21 wrote:new qb + new coach + season opener on road= loss for the buffs.

Nitpick, but CU has named Tyler Hansen their starter, returning from being the primary starter last year.

gambit_808
All-conference
All-conference

Post by gambit_808 »

Grinch wrote:How come when Hawaii wins at home the other "was distracted."
But when Hawaii loses on the road - we never hear that we were distracted?
Last sea on Hawaii was the better team. Will prove it - again. :D
true. how about the "elevation" excuses?

Goaline 3-4 times. Fail. "Oh it was the elevation".

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

Its all about perspective......UH will see this as a revenge game.....The Buffs will play with a sense of urgency. After all, Hawaii is one of their few realistic chances to win in 2011.

dcwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by dcwarrior »

To beat CU, UH has to execute better for an early season game.

I guess this is Moniz's chance to show his stuff. He's no longer a walk-on, no longer the underdog, no longer the outsider who's worked his way to the top. It's his team this year and he has to lead, not just trot out there and throw the ball.

can he do it? I think so. Will he?
Substance matters.

gambit_808
All-conference
All-conference

Post by gambit_808 »

i dunno, im really skeptical of moniz nowdays for some reason.

ive just been drinking too much haterade. he's gotta show and prove. he's getting lots of love and im not so sure it was well deserved.

am i out of my mind?