April 26, 2010 Practice Report (Updated 4/26/10)

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
BleedGreen808
Play Maker
Play Maker

April 26, 2010 Practice Report (Updated 4/26/10)

Post by BleedGreen808 »

Starters on Offense (Edited: Added QB and RB, also changed Correa to Meatoga)

RWR------Pollard
LSB--------Salas
RT----------La Count
RG---------A. Thomas
C-----------Sila
LG---------Leonard
LT----------Hansen
LSB--------PIlares
LWR-------Avery
QB---------Moniz
RB---------Green

Starters on Defense

RDE-------Falemalu
RDT-------Correa
LDT-------Meatoga
LDe-------Satele
LOLB-----Paredes
MLB-------Huen
ROLB----A. Brown
LDB------L. Davis
RDB-----Bryant
S #1-----Smith
S #2-----Silva

Players to watch during spring training---David Graves and Cayman Shutter looked sharp throwing the ball during 7 on 7s today.
Last edited by BleedGreen808 on Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:45 pm, edited 10 times in total.
"Limits like fears are just an illusion." Michael Jordan

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Spring Practice #2 Report

Post by J-Rod »

Thanks BG808! We are missing a 1st string QB though.... :)

BleedGreen808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by BleedGreen808 »

J-Rod wrote:Thanks BG808! We are missing a 1st string QB though.... :)

:lol: That would Moniz :lol: I am also missing a RB which is Green

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

Figured as much. Thanks for the update!

Wild Warrior
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Wild Warrior »

BleedGreen808 wrote:Starters on Offense (Edited)

RWR------Pollard
LSB--------Salas
RT----------La Count
RG---------A. Thomas
C-----------Sila
LG---------Leonard
LT----------Hansen
LSB--------PIlares
LWR-------Avery
QB---------Moniz
RB---------Green

Starters on Defense

RDE-------Falemalu
RDT-------Masch
LDE-------Correa
LDT-------Satele
LOLB-----Paredes
MLB-------Huen
ROLB----A. Brown
LDB------L. Davis
RDB-----Bryant
S #1-----Smith
S #2-----Silva

Players to watch during spring training---David Graves and Cayman Shutter looked sharp throwing the ball during 7 on 7s today.
I find it hard to believe that Vaughn Meatoga is not starting on the d-line. I am sure that will change real soon.

The real fun begins tomorrow, the first day in full pads. After all the talk of bigger, faster, and stronger due to Tommy H's off season training - tomorrow should be a good day to be at practice. Lot's of hitting a probably a few scraps as the boys get a little salty. All good - wish I could be there.

Looking forward to some good reports from the local fans.

WW

BleedGreen808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by BleedGreen808 »

Wild Warrior wrote:
BleedGreen808 wrote:Starters on Offense (Edited)

RWR------Pollard
LSB--------Salas
RT----------La Count
RG---------A. Thomas
C-----------Sila
LG---------Leonard
LT----------Hansen
LSB--------PIlares
LWR-------Avery
QB---------Moniz
RB---------Green

Starters on Defense

RDE-------Falemalu
RDT-------Masch
LDE-------Correa
LDT-------Satele
LOLB-----Paredes
MLB-------Huen
ROLB----A. Brown
LDB------L. Davis
RDB-----Bryant
S #1-----Smith
S #2-----Silva

I find it hard to believe that Vaughn Meatoga is not starting on the d-line. I am sure that will change real soon.

The real fun begins tomorrow, the first day in full pads. After all the talk of bigger, faster, and stronger due to Tommy H's off season training - tomorrow should be a good day to be at practice. Lot's of hitting a probably a few scraps as the boys get a little salty. All good - wish I could be there.

Looking forward to some good reports from the local fans.

WW
Sorry WW...Meatoga is the DT and not Correa...sorry for the mix up :D.

panobu27
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by panobu27 »

I've seen this Graves kid practicing, he can flat out play. I am telling all you UH fans this kid is the real deal. We scored big on this recruit. McMackin has continuously repeated all positions are up for grabs. Both coach Rolo and Mac have mentioned Graves in the press conferences on several occasions. They are setting him up for starting this year. Like I've said on other posts no nkock against Moniz, but talent will get the nod.

BleedGreen808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by BleedGreen808 »

panobu27 wrote:I've seen this Graves kid practicing, he can flat out play. I am telling all you UH fans this kid is the real deal. We scored big on this recruit. McMackin has continuously repeated all positions are up for grabs. Both coach Rolo and Mac have mentioned Graves in the press conferences on several occasions. They are setting him up for starting this year. Like I've said on other posts no nkock against Moniz, but talent will get the nod.
I agree. Watching Graves for the first time was quite nice. He had zip on his balls and was accurate. He was throwing the ball the best in my opinion and he looked like he had a good understanding of the offense by going through his reads. I want to see what he can do during live drills.

seasider
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by seasider »

BleedGreen808 wrote:
panobu27 wrote:I've seen this Graves kid practicing, he can flat out play. I am telling all you UH fans this kid is the real deal. We scored big on this recruit. McMackin has continuously repeated all positions are up for grabs. Both coach Rolo and Mac have mentioned Graves in the press conferences on several occasions. They are setting him up for starting this year. Like I've said on other posts no nkock against Moniz, but talent will get the nod.
I agree. Watching Graves for the first time was quite nice. He had zip on his balls and was accurate. He was throwing the ball the best in my opinion and he looked like he had a good understanding of the offense by going through his reads. I want to see what he can do during live drills.
When the lights are turned on, and 300 plus linemen are breathing down his neck all game long, we'll see what this kid can do.

Bottom line, practice is practice...even with live drills, hitting, the QB still will be untouchable.

Moniz,barring an unforseen injury, will be the starting QB versus USC.

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HawaiianHogster »

Moniz will be tough to beat as long as he had a good off season workout on his throwing arm. He knows the offense better since he has more reps as the starter. If anyone beats him out fair and square they will have to be super good. Is Graves super good? Too early to tell.
“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Grinch »

Not that it's the only thing that matters - but I'm glad to see our Oline has some size . . . with possible in the 6'4 and 6'5 range (except center). Of course, they need to gel and our tackles need to handle speed rushers.

Looks like our Dline is bigger and athletic, too.
"The rise . . . of the Warriors."

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

It is Bryant's job to lose. How he performs against USC will be key. And no matter what happens he will get the nod against Army.

But coming out of spring #2 will be interesting.

And if Moniz does not play well against USC you may very well see #2 getting some game time.

If he still doesn't have the long ball it will cause our offense some limitations. He will have more speed and size on the outside so that shouldn't be the problem and he has some very experirneced slots in Salas and Pilares.

We have to be worse case 1-1 after two games.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

I agree, watching who is the #2 will be interesting. Moniz may be named the #1 QB on opening day, but as we saw back in 2005, he could be nothing more then the first QB thrown to the wolves. Heck, back in 2008 we went into Florida with our #1 QB being Alexander, and left with our #3 Funaki as the starter. This battle will ultimately be settled on opening day. Whichever QB USC didn't kill will start.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

http://hawaiiathletics.com/news/2010/3/ ... h=football
HONOLULU – The University of Hawai‘i Warrior football team opened spring training Wednesday morning with the first of 15 practices at the grass practice field.

Despite losing 10 starters, including all-WAC picks Blaze Soares, Aaron Kia and John Estes, the Warriors return 15 starters from last season. Among those returning is senior slot receiver Greg Salas, who finished fourth nationally in receiving yards per game (122.3).

Additionally, head coach Greg McMackin announced several coaching changes. Nick Rolovich was named the new offensive coordinator and Dave Aranda was named the new defensive coordinator, while Tony Tuioti has been added as the defensive tackles coach.

The Warriors next practice will be Friday morning at 7 a.m.

Head Coach Greg McMackin
“I just think we have a bunch of guys that want to learn and a bunch of coaches that want to coach and they’re communicating with each other and really working hard at it. There’s a freshness about it, we’re young, but we’re experienced and I’m just excited about this season.”

“We’re glad to be making progress, we’ve got a ways to go and we’re working at it, but we’re making progress.”

On new defensive coordinator Dave Aranda
“He’s just a student of the game, he’s a hard working guy, he’s very organized and very detailed. He’s just an excellent teacher. He studies with everybody in the country, he stays up to date on all the new things in the game and he knows my package. He’s been with me longer than anybody and we’re not going to change anything in our package; we’re going to try and make it look a little different, but he knows what he’s doing and I’ve got a lot of confidence in him.”

On new offensive coordinator Nick Rolovich
“I knew he had a heart, I knew he had a brain for the game, I knew his passion and I watched him over the years. I wanted somebody who had played the position and he was the first guy I thought of as a position coach at quarterback, but he’s shown leadership.

“Dave and Rolo are a similar type of guy; they are guys who have a great passion for the game and great knowledge for the game and...they’re great teachers.”

Offensive Coordinator Nick Rolovich
“I just really want them to play fast, I want them to play together and to grow the bond between the players because they’re the ones who really run the show.”

On junior quarterback Bryant Moniz
“He [Moniz] wanted this and now he’s got a complete year to get ready for it. A lot of things have come up for him, bonding with guys, making time to really get to know your teammates, a lot of things like that. There’s never a question of his work ethic in the weight room, the film room, all those things are what make a great quarterback.”

Senior Safety Spencer Smith
On new defensive coordinator Dave Aranda
“He [Aranda] did a lot of play-calling last year and he’s a real smart coach. He knows the defense and he knows our team and what we need to do and he presents it well to the team. He brought a new intensity to the practice because Coach Mack had to concentrate on both the offense and the defense and now Coach Aranda can focus on just the defense.”

“As Coach Mack says, its competition that makes everyone better. I think [competition is] good because to be number one, you’ve got to train like you’re number two so that’s the attitude that everyone is coming in with.”

Junior Quarterback Bryant Moniz
“We did so much last year with just that short time that we had so I can only imagine what will happen with a whole year of preparation.”

“The run and shoot is still going to be the run and shoot, it’s going to be the same thing. We still have the same coaches out there, it’s just going to have a little bit of Rolo’s flavor on it, so it will be exciting, it will be fun.”

“Last year I was just trying to make the team and this year I’m trying to lead the team. I remember playing scout, playing safety, just playing anywhere trying to catch one of the coach’s eyes. Now I just got to keep that work ethic going and compete with the other quarterbacks.”

“Competition just makes us greater. There’s always competition I feel. I don’t think anybody’s job is ever secure, even if they say it is. That really helps me out just having that in the back of my mind, pushing me to do good.”

Junior Defensive Lineman Vaughn Meatoga
“It just felt good to be back here, it’s like home out on this field.”

“Coach Aranda is really smart so he’s going to get us into position to make plays. He’s broken everything down for us and he has a lot more time than Coach Mack had because Coach Mack had to manage the whole team. He must be one of the hardest workers here; he’s always here before us and here after us.”

Senior Wide Receiver Greg Salas
“It’s nice to get back out here. Everybody is excited this week coming back from spring break knowing we have to play football.”

“It’s still the same stuff, just a different person calling the shots this year and it’s the same.”

On junior quarterback Bryant Moniz
“He’s [Moniz] definitely grown a lot and we’re looking forward to him leading us this year.”

“I tried to work out my legs a lot more and put on a little bit of weight, but not too much, and just work out really hard and try to get a little bit fast and quicker.”
Last edited by SundayJam on Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

http://hawaiiathletics.com/documents/20 ... df?id=1006

There's also a spring prospectus available.
I thought Austen Hansen was Moniz' backup...
What happened with him?