Third Quarter Stat

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
Garret
Starter
Starter

Third Quarter Stat

Post by Garret »

I thought that UH hadn't been making good adjustments at halftime this season so I went through the boxscores to look at what happened in the third quarters this season. This is what I found:

3rd quarter scoring this season:
UH 0, Idaho 7
UH 0, Fresno State 14
UH 0, La Tech 14
UH 0, UNLV 7
UH 0, Washington State 7

UH has not scored a single point in the 3rd quarter against D-IA teams this season! That comes out to opponents 49, UH 0...and the 3rd quarter was even cited by Mac as a key reason for the loss against UNLV. Today's game was close at halftime and UH could have won the game with a strong 3rd quarter.

Whatever adjustments are being made at halftime just don't seem to be effective...though the adjustments the opponents are making seem to work better. I had a feeling that the 3rd quarter scoring wasn't good this season so I looked things up and was surprised at 49-0. To me, this is the most overlooked stat this season.

49-0. Five games against D-IA competition, 0 points in the third quarter. Maybe I'm making too much of this, but that stat kind of sticks out to me. This is especially notable to me because Mac always defers the kickoff and chooses for UH to get the ball first in the third quarter. Obviously, UH hasn't done anything with their first drives after halftime.
Last edited by Garret on Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Old Diver
All-conference
All-conference

Re: Halftime adjustments have not been working

Post by Old Diver »

I remember when Bob Wagner was coach and was asked what second half adjustments were made after a big win. He said we just played harder. Second half adjustment I believe are over rated, I guessing the problem is we are just not as ready as we should be to start the second half. A lack of quality bodies is part of the problem also. Of course I could be wrong, I am interested to hear what others think.

warriorfan18
Starter
Starter

Post by warriorfan18 »

This is a very interesting statistical piece of information. It seems that other teams make second half adjustments to our offense since we do not start the second half scoring...When the opposing team makes an adjustment we need to counteract them like a chess match. For example, I hate to beat a dead horse but I am going to bring up JJ again. I always enjoyed watching his coaches show and seeing how he spoke with the QB. He would say simple things to Colt all the time like "if you see this do that and if they do this then go with that". He always seemed to have plans. I am not sure if our coaches are on that level yet...as far as seeing what defenses are trying to do to us. JMO.

browndog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by browndog »

What adjustments? :roll:

Defense standing around waiting to get hit. At this point in the season, we need to take chances with corner biltzes, run blitzes, fake punts, trick plays. . . whatever it takes to stop teams from pounding the run on us.

XKamaaina
Starter
Starter

Post by XKamaaina »

I guess Coach Mack is a better DC than HC. In '99 and '07 we played much better in the 2nd half of games. Perhaps the added resposibilities of being the HC is too much for him to balance with defensive adjustments? Or are the Lee brothers just not cut out to be FBS coordinators?

bandwagonjumper
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by bandwagonjumper »

XKamaaina wrote:I guess Coach Mack is a better DC than HC. In '99 and '07 we played much better in the 2nd half of games. Perhaps the added resposibilities of being the HC is too much for him to balance with defensive adjustments? Or are the Lee brothers just not cut out to be FBS coordinators?

yep according to Colin Cowherd some people are just better suited to be a #2 and not a #1. coach mac is clearly a #2. again Colin emphasizes to never ever higher the long time assistant.

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HawaiianHogster »

XKamaaina wrote:I guess Coach Mack is a better DC than HC. In '99 and '07 we played much better in the 2nd half of games. Perhaps the added resposibilities of being the HC is too much for him to balance with defensive adjustments? Or are the Lee brothers just not cut out to be FBS coordinators?
Coach Mack swims or drowns with them. If the assistant coaches aren't getting it done for his sake and the team he better make changes. I will trust he knows all about assistant coaching and what it takes to be a good one. I hope his heart doesn't get in the way of making things right if they are wrong. I for one don't see a problem but I don't have a clue as to what it takes to be an affective assistant coach at the D1A level.
“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

He seems to have good assistants in Tormey, Shaw and Aranda.
ImageImage

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Garret can you dig up last year's 3rd qtr productivity?

Garret
Starter
Starter

Post by Garret »

BigWave96744 wrote:Garret can you dig up last year's 3rd qtr productivity?
At your request:

3rd quarter stats from 2008 (only counting D-IA teams):

UH 0, Florida 28
UH 0, Oregon State 17
UH 0, SJSU 7
UH 10, Fresno State 13
UH 3, La Tech 0
UH 0, BSU 14
UH 10, Nevada 7
UH 0, Utah State 7
UH 7, NMSU 7
UH 14, Idaho 0
UH 7, Washington State 7
UH 14, Cincy 0 (!!!)
UH 7, Notre Dame 21

Total score: UH 72, Opponents 128
Net differential: -56

Since I'm curious, I'm going to look up the 3rd quarter scores from 2007:

UH 14, La Tech 10
UH 21, UNLV 0
UH 7, Idaho 0
UH 21, Utah State 14
UH 7, SJSU 21
UH 13, NMSU 10
UH 0, Fresno State 0
UH 0, Nevada 10
UH 20, BSU 10 (!!!)
UH 0, Washington 0
UH 0, Georgia 14

Total score: UH 103, Opponents 89
Net differential +14

So, the trend goes like this:
2007: +14
2008: -56
2009: -49 (49-0 over 5 games)

bentofan
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by bentofan »

They haven't been working because they were too busy eating at the buffett table at halftime set aside for da boyz.
Follow men's eyes as they look to the skies
The shifting shafts of shining weave the fabric of their dreams...Rush-"Jacob's Ladder"

Garret
Starter
Starter

Post by Garret »

I think that 2006 was the best team in the JJ era. The big difference with the 2007 team is that the core of the 2006 team learned how to win, which was key for the close wins in 2007. I think if UH was able to play Alabama, BSU, and Oregon State after the 2006 Hawaii Bowl they would have won each game. So, I was curious and ran the numbers for 2006:

3rd quarter scores from 2006:
UH 7, Alabama 7
UH 14, UNLV 7
UH 7, BSU 7
UH 3, Nevada 0
UH 20, Fresno State 6
UH 0, NMSU 7
UH 21, Idaho 0
UH 21, Utah State 7
UH 28, La Tech 0
UH 27, SJSU 7
UH 3, Purdue 14
UH 3, Oregon State 7
UH 21, Arizona State 0

Total score: UH 175 (!!), Opponents 69
Net differential +106 (!!)

So, the trend goes like this:
2006: +106
2007: +14
2008: -56
2009: -49 (49-0 over 5 games)

jhb3043
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by jhb3043 »

warriorfan18 wrote:This is a very interesting statistical piece of information. It seems that other teams make second half adjustments to our offense since we do not start the second half scoring...When the opposing team makes an adjustment we need to counteract them like a chess match. For example, I hate to beat a dead horse but I am going to bring up JJ again. I always enjoyed watching his coaches show and seeing how he spoke with the QB. He would say simple things to Colt all the time like "if you see this do that and if they do this then go with that". He always seemed to have plans. I am not sure if our coaches are on that level yet...as far as seeing what defenses are trying to do to us. JMO.
i don't think thesecoaches will ever be on the same level as JJ or any other good coach

unkosolz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by unkosolz »

Everyone needs to remember this is the Lee brothers first time as FBS level coordinators. They do have a lot of coaching experience, but no experience here is what's actually killing this team. McMackin has done a good job of managing the team as a whole, but what really makes a team from good to great is solid coordinators/assistants and that is what this team is lacking. The thing about being the head coach is that you are always the one everyone points to whether you win or lose.
E Pa`a Ka Mana`o I Ka Pono I `Oi A`e

unkosolz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by unkosolz »

warriorfan18 wrote:This is a very interesting statistical piece of information. It seems that other teams make second half adjustments to our offense since we do not start the second half scoring...When the opposing team makes an adjustment we need to counteract them like a chess match. For example, I hate to beat a dead horse but I am going to bring up JJ again. I always enjoyed watching his coaches show and seeing how he spoke with the QB. He would say simple things to Colt all the time like "if you see this do that and if they do this then go with that". He always seemed to have plans. I am not sure if our coaches are on that level yet...as far as seeing what defenses are trying to do to us. JMO.
No coach on this staff is on that level or anywhere near. That's the reason why we can't score the way we used to under JJ.
E Pa`a Ka Mana`o I Ka Pono I `Oi A`e