Fresno State Game Preview

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
CoachKen
Insider
Insider

Fresno State Game Preview

Post by CoachKen »

Fresno State Preview

There could not be a worse time for starting QB Greg Alexander to be out for the season. There is a rough road ahead and Fresno State will be the biggest challenge yet. They are a superior football team to La Tech and have a devastating run attack. RB Ryan Matthews is one the top rushers in the NCAA and possesses both power and quickness. It does not hurt that he has a 270lbs fullback in Reynard Camp to lead the way. If there is a key to this game it is stopping Fresno’s running attack but the big question is how! He hit Boise for 243 yards on the ground. QB Ryan Colburn can be mistake prone and the Warriors best hope for a victory is putting the game into his hands. Marlon Moore at WR is a deep threat with great hands and excellent speed.

Defensively the Bulldogs are solid but not superb. Expect a very simple game plan from the Fresno defense. Put as much pressure on the Hawaii QB as possible. I would not be surprised if they brought at least six every time and occasionally seven.
They have had an off week to prepare for Hawaii and they realize the importance of this game at Hawaii. Moses Harris at safety is their best defensive back and is one of the top DBs in the WAC. Their defensive line and linebackers play hard and are solid.

Keys to the game:

For Hawaii offensively- If the QB gets sacked early this game will get out of hand. Protecting our QB is goal number one. Believe it our not, we have to establish some kind of running game. Yes, this is the run and shoot but if we cannot keep them honest it doesn’t matter how good our receivers are, it is hard to throw when the QB is on his back. Biggest concern: It is difficult for a QB to step in and understand this offense and Fresno is going to do everything in their power to create complicated reads. If it were me, Austin would be the starter. He gets rid of the ball quickly and knows this offense.

For Hawaii defensively- First, stop the run. Second, stop the run. Third, stop the run! I do not think we can go head on head with their offensive line and win the battle on the line of scrimmage. If we can confuse blocking schemes and take away what they do best, running inside the tackles we have a chance. If you limit the big play, Fresno has had a tendency to make mistakes on long drives. This team loves to trap block. If you run up field because no one blocks you, expect to get blindsided!

For Fresno offensively- Long grinding drives to keep the ball away from Hawaii. Against the Bearcats, Fresno had the ball for 14 our of 15 minutes in the third quarter to help keep the game close. When the Bearcats had the ball they scored quickly. Fresno knows the run and shoot can be a quick hit offense and will want to limit our possessions. If we get less than eight possessions most likely we don’t win. I would say if they were smart they would play it safe in the passing game but that’s not Pat Hill’s style. Let’s hope for a few interceptions. It is pretty simple, if Fresno does not stop themselves they most likely win this game. That being said there has never been a better time for the defense to rise up and do what Hawaii’s defenses are best know for, devastating tackling. I saw way to many arm tackles in the La Tech game. Arm tackle against Fresno and they score 50 points.

For Fresno defensively- Attack! Expect more man to man than they would usually play and more hard rush from the outside. The basics of defense when you are playing a passing team with a backup QB is go after him every play. That’s why the Hawaii running game has to step up. This would be a good time to bring back the shovel pass, quick screens and empty backfield (throw quick!). If it were me, I can think of a right slot I would put back in the backfield for this game. He is a superb athlete who makes things happen. Nothing against our other running backs but he makes things happen and running him in underneath patterns for five yard gains is not his best and highest use in this game.

Special teams- Normally I would give more details on this area of the game but this game will not come down to special teams, it will come back to between the tackles, man on man, who wants it more!

What’s in our favor? Home game, a bunch of kids who are coming off a defeat in which they know they let themselves down. One thing I do know about these kids is they do have heart. I want to see a defense that gang tackles, makes big plays, creates turnovers and plays with passion. Our secondary is better than I thought it would be, but still has a ways to go. I hope this game will be the breakout.

What’s against us? A Fresno State team that is getting better each game with lots of talent and the ability to grind it out for six to ten minutes a drive. If we let them do that it will be one long, depressing game.

Often the heart of a team is discovered during the greatest trial. In today’s game of college football, App State can beat Michigan, Oklahoma can lose twice early and anything can happen if a team believes in themselves and plays hard with nothing left on the field.

Go Warriors! Believe in team first and make the sacrifice to win!

Coach Ken
Character, strength, and honor!

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Fresno State Game Preview

Post by J-Rod »

Fantastic write up Coach!

Also a bit worried about our DBs. We have not been able to prove that we can play with big physical WRs, and Seyi Ajirotutu is easily the most physical specimen our secondary has seen all year at 6-5 210lbs.

We are going to need another miracle to win this game. I just don't think this team has it in them. Hope I'm wrong.

Makai TailG8TAZ
Starter
Starter

Post by Makai TailG8TAZ »

"For Hawaii defensively- First, stop the run. Second, stop the run. Third, stop the run! I do not think we can go head on head with their offensive line and win the battle on the line of scrimmage. If we can confuse blocking schemes and take away what they do best, running inside the tackles we have a chance."

Personally I hated that we were having difficulty with the run against LT and the Line Backers stayed back with their hands on their knees waiting for the play to develop. I thought maybe more LB's filling in the gaps and "at least" faking the rush "at least" may have confused LT linemen of who to block. More pressure in their back field(not wait til someone blocks you). Like Blaze said braddahz gotta show up and play aggressive.

A victory on Saturday would be a great B-day gift!!! :new-bday: No need for gift wrapping though...time to kick a$$ Hawaii style!!!

Good Luck to Moniz and thank you GA.

john
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by john »

Thanks for the detailed analysis. Great to hear from you and looking forward to more insights in the weeks to come. We are going to need every win from this point forward if we want to be playing on Christmas eve.

uhwarrior23
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Braves
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Pats

Post by uhwarrior23 »

I agree w/ everything, Coach. Thanks for the awesome right up. I think this is the perfect time for this team to stand up and play like Warriors. They know they embarrassed themsleves last week but I'm confident they will come out w/ a chip on their shoulder ready to prove a point to their rival. Fresno will be fired up and they will be as ready to beat us as they've ever been. Hawaii has dominated this series lately and they will be looking for some revenge. I would like to see this team come together and dominate in all 3 aspects of the game. We are at home! We must protect this house! Hawaii has built a tradition of winning and going to bowl games year in and year out. Losing to teams like La Tech on the road and in the fasion we did is unacceptable!!!!!! It was great to hear the team leaders step up and hold that practice on Saturday. That was very encouraging. I think this team will be focused and ready to win on Saturday!
As for the QB situation, I would also like to see Shane for the reason that he knows this offense better than Bryant. We need a QB that can make reads quickly or Fresno's pass rush will give us fits! I'm sure that whichever QB has the better week of practice (Austin, Rausch if he's healthy enough or Moniz) will start this game so I have no concerns. Someone will step up and lead this offense to great things. I believe! Either way, I will back up whichever QB that starts. Bryant did some good things @ La Tech in the 4th qtr. The WR's will need to step up and make some tough catches. The running game will need to step up like you said. Our screen game MUST be effective! The defense will need to force fumbles and get some INT's. We need to Ambush this team! We have only lost to this team at home once in the last 10 years ('05 L 13-27) and that year we were rebuilding! Get after this team early and often and they will begin to doubt themselves.

dcwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by dcwarrior »

I am still thinking that the key to the game is offense. For all the crying we are doing about the D getting hammered by LT's run game, they only scored 27. The real story was that UH had many opportunities in the red zone and did not capitalize, and for some reason has fallen in love with the long ball. A few earlier scores by UH and we'd be talking about all of UH's sacks and picks. And the long ball lead to a lot of 3 and outs, which make it harder on the D for both endurance and adjustments. The coaching staff and QBs need to remember that 5-7 yards on first down or second and under 20 is just fine. Throwing on second and short is allowed (when the refs spot the ball for a second and 1, they need to assign Coach Smith to say, Hey Mack, look, it's Christina Aguilera! so he doesn't turn and tell Rolo to call a run). Throwing on first down in the red zone is a must. You can blow people off the ball when you have 6 in the box. Hard to do with 8. And the other teams know it - on that play, LT was selling out to stop the run.

The D is what it is. The guys can play better, sure, but that's a given. But they aren't built to be a trenches team. The O needs to get in front to let this bunch do what it's best at.
Substance matters.

oldhawaiiguy
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by oldhawaiiguy »

Coach Ken has it right and is diplomatic. I would only add; "don't be quitters!" This is so when up against a team superior physically and athletically.

Play hard! Play with heart!

pumpfake
Starter
Starter

Post by pumpfake »

here's a couple of videos of fresno state.

fresno st.vs uc davis:

Link

fresno st vs boise st.:

Link

i know the boys are going to play with alot of intensity this week. hopefully, they don't over pursue and forget their gap responsibility.

COME HARD OR STAY HOME!

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

pumpfake wrote:here's a couple of videos of fresno state.

fresno st.vs uc davis:

Link

fresno st vs boise st.:

Link

i know the boys are going to play with alot of intensity this week. hopefully, they don't over pursue and forget their gap responsibility.

COME HARD OR STAY HOME!
Thanks for the video. I haven't seen Fresno play this year. I hope that UHs offense shows up saturday. On d I just think they need to shed their blocks and tackle better. Eyes on the numbers. Keep the feet moving.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1: