*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Braves
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Pats

2009 Warrior Football preview uhwarrior23 style

Post by uhwarrior23 »

Last seasons record (7-7, 5-3)
Loss to Notre Dame in Hawaii bowl, 21-49
HC Greg McMackin's 2nd year as HC at Hawaii, 4th year overall (DC in '99 and '07 and won WAC both years.)
My 2009 prediction: 11-2, 7-1 in WAC (will share title w/ Boise St.) Will earn berth in Hawaii bowl.

The Offense
Returning starters (6)
Projected starters:
QB Greg Alexander Sr.
RB Leon Wright-Jackson Sr.
LWR Rodney Bradley Jr.
RSB Greg Salas Jr.
LSB Kealoha Pilares Jr.
RWR Malcolm Lane/ Jovonte Taylor
LT Aaron Kia Sr.
LG Ray Hisatake Sr.
C John Estes Sr.
RG Raphael Ieru Sr.
RT Laupepa Letuli Sr.
Sr QB Greg Alexander is back and poised for a breakout season. He put up solid numbers and basically only played the 2nd half of the season after sharing the job w/ Inoke Funki early on. He's taken on a leadership role during offseason workouts and has worked on his release and footwork. He watched a lot of film and has gained a better knowledge of the R&S offense. He will have much more speed and talent to work with. Guys like Salas Jr., Pilares Jr., Bradley Jr., Lane Sr., Taylor Jr., Blount Jr., Henry Jr., Medeiros Sr., Tinoco Jr., Pollard So., Bell Jr. and Avery So. should all see time at WR and SB. JC transfer Rodney Bradley is the most intriguing recruit. He came in the spring and was impressive enough for the coaches to start him at RWR and move Salas to slot. He has the kind of big play ability that will complement the slots and Lane and Taylor on the other side. Incoming Freshman Billy Ray Stutzmann (6-1, 160) could be a dark horse candidate to move up the depth chart and may see pt this fall. Unlike most true freshman, he was able to participate in spring training, which was huge for him. In the long run, he may end up redshirting but showed the ability to contribute right away in the spring game. JC Transfer Craig Bell (Jr.) is healthy and should push for time at wideout. The o-line should also be improved w/ the hire of coach Gordy Shaw. He has a tremendous amount of coaching experience and will have this aspect of the offense improved. UH gave up a school record 57 sacks last season. Expect that number to be under 20 in '09. Look for JC transfers Brett Leonard Jr. and Kainoa LaCount Jr. to compete for starting positions in the fall. Austin Hansen So., Adrian Thomas So. and Brysen Ginlack Jr. are darkhorse pt competitors heading into fall camp. Another player to watch out for is Sr. Daniel Johnson. He's the type of lineman that could flourish under Gordy Shaw's tutelage. The running game should also be improved. Inoke Funaki Sr. had the most impressive spring after moving from QB. He looked like an impact player in the spring game. Leon Wright-Jackson Sr. is healthy and poised for a breakout season. I see him as a guy that will get 700 all-purpose yds and 8-9 TD's. JC transfers Alex Green (6-2, 220) and Chizzy Dimude (5-9, 190) will come in and battle for jobs right away. Dimude is the most ready and could push Jackson for the starting job in the opener against Central Arkansas on Sept 4. Jackson, Dimude, Funaki and Green are the top 4 RB's, in order, on this team.
As for the rest of the QB's Brent Rausch is a solid backup to have. He fought some injuries last season but is healthy and ready to push Alexander in the fall. Sophomore QB Shane Austin was a pleasant surprise and had a very good spring game. He knows this offense and if there are injuries at QB, he can move this offense up the field. There are a ton of talented incoming freshman. David Graves (6-0 190), Corey Nielsen (5-11 185) and Caymen Shutter (6-1 190) all may be redshirt candidates but all have the ability to lead this team to great things in the future. Nielsen has the strongest arm of the 3. Shutter has drawn comparisons to NCAA great and now Washington Redskin, Colt Brennan. Graves may be the most complete and could be the top guy to succeed Rausch after he leaves after the 2010 seasons. So. Bryant Moniz will add depth.

The Defense
Returning starters (2)
Projected starters:
DE John Fonoti Sr.
DT Tuika Tufaga Sr.
DT Vaughn Meatoga So.
DE Elliot Purcell Jr.
OLB R.J. Kiesel-Kauhane Sr./ Mana Lolotai Jr.
ILB Brashton Satele Sr./ Mana Lolotai Jr.
OLB Blaze Soares Sr.
CB Jeramy Bryant Jr.
SS Aaron Brown Jr.
FS Lametrius Davis Jr.
CB Chris Black Sr.
Greg McMackin will have to rebuild a defense that only returns 2 starters back. The good news is, there are a lot of players waiting in the wings ready to breakout and the Warriors picked up a lot of speed in the secondary. The question mark will be in the front 7. The Warriors lost some key talent in ILB Sol Elimimian, OLB/ILB Adam Leonard and DE David Veikune. I expect the defense to be a lot better than people think. Keeping players healthy like Blaze Soares and Rocky Savaiigaea will be key. If they can have an injury free seasons, this defense could be that much better, particularly Blaze. He has 1st team all-WAC written all over him if he's healthy. He could be a legit candidate for the best LB award in the country if he can remain 100% throughout the season. He is that talented. Just ask BSU RB Jeramy Avery. Trust me, he would concur! This side of the ball could struggle early but come midseason, they should come together and do some great things for DC Cal Lee. Look for DT Rocky Savaiigaea Sr., DE Victor Clore Sr., LB Paipai Falemalu Fr., DT David Hafoka Jr., DT Zack Masch Jr., DT Chris Leatigaga Sr., DE Aaron Rink Sr., DT Geordon Hanohano Fr., DE Haku Correa Fr., DE Alema Tachibana Fr., CB Tank Hopkins Jr., FS Kenny Estes So., FS Spencer Smith Jr. and SS Mana Silva Jr. to compete for PT. Converted RB Jake Huen Jr. will add depth to the MLB position. He was recovering from an injury in the spring but is 100% and ready to go this fall. Incoming freshman George Daily-Lyles could also suprise and battle for some pt. I see him as a solid redshirt candidate, though. Watch out for Jr. LB Po'okela Ahmad who could be a darkhorse pt competitor at OLB. Corey Paredes So. will also compete for PT at OLB. If needed, Davis has the ability to play some CB as well. JC transfer Jr. Tank Hopkins will compete for a starting job at CB. Redshirt Freshman's Steven Christian (6-0, 170), Steve Stepter (5-9 180) and Lewis Walker (5-11, 160) will add depth. So. Richard Torres will be the starting NB and could see time as a backup SS. Incoming Freshman Auloloa Tonga (6-3, 200; Kahuku) has the ability and size to contribute right away at safety. Incoming Freshman Michael Wadsworth (6-1 190) will be a redshirt candidate but has the ability to play right away and add depth to the safety position.

Special Teams
Returning Starters (1)
Projected staters:
LS Luke Ingram Fr.
K Scott Enos Jr.
P Alex Dunnachie Fr.
PR Dustin Blount Jr.
Kr Malcolm Lane Sr.

Losing Kicker Dan Kelly is the biggest lost to the special teams. He made several clutch kicks in recent years (GW FG in OT win @ Fresno in '08; GW FG in win @ Nevada in '07) The Warrior picked up a solid JC K in Scott Enos who I project to succeed Dan Kelly. Freshman kicker Kevin Bell will also compete for the starting job. LS Jake Ingram was also a big loss after getting drafted. His brother Luke is projected to be the next longsnapper. Punter Alex Dunnachie from Australia is the most intriguing prospect. He's drawn comparions to another former UH and Aussie punter, now Dallas Cowboys punter, Mat McBriar. Sr. Malcolm Lane returns as the KR and has the talent to be one of the best KR's in the nation. He's no doubt 1st team all-WAC material . The PR will be Dustin Blount but Kealoha Pilares and Ryan Henry should also compete for the job. Blount has great quickness and once he's in the open field, can you say house call?
Last edited by uhwarrior23 on Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:53 pm, edited 23 times in total.

letsgobows
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets

Re: 2009 Warrior Football preview uhwarrior23 style

Post by letsgobows »

nice.

under 20 might be a little too optimistic though...lol. i would say ~35
college football=drama for men.
GO WARRIORS!

Bully808
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
MLB: Da Flyin Hawaiian Phillie
NFL: NY Jets

Post by Bully808 »

Nice preview I agree with your prediction dude.

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Grinch »

good job.
I'd be stoked if Brett Leonard and LaCount are ready to challenge for starting positions. If they are, and don't start, then that would say alot for whoever gets the nod.
I see Spencer Smith, Mana Silva, and a few others challenging at safety. :hello1:
"The rise . . . of the Warriors."

Kahaluu Imua Warriors
Starter
Starter

Post by Kahaluu Imua Warriors »

Great job. The only changes I'ld to is Tank Hopkins to start at CB opposite Bryant and Rocky Savaiigaea will start at DT. Blount should get one of these "/" as a part-starter at slot. Lastly and we will keep it a secret, Blaze and Rocky were starters (before they got hurt) which doubles our returning D starters and both are or should be impact players. No one including the WAC coaches and press and especially the national press considers them nor the fact that we reloaded on D with talented players. They all rank our D low thus our over all over team rating low (5th) in WAC - THAT'S WAC! but let them think that way. We will show them on the field. No way lower then 2nd in the WAC. Imua Warriors!!!!!!
www.southseascinema.org

Warriors! Come out and play-i-ay!
The Ha'a is heard, louder and louder.
Okole is kicked.
Now the enemy runs home to cry to their mother.

uhwarrior23
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by uhwarrior23 »

Kahaluu Imua Warriors wrote:Great job. The only changes I'ld to is Tank Hopkins to start at CB opposite Bryant and Rocky Savaiigaea will start at DT. Blount should get one of these "/" as a part-starter at slot. Lastly and we will keep it a secret, Blaze and Rocky were starters (before they got hurt) which doubles our returning D starters and both are or should be impact players. No one including the WAC coaches and press and especially the national press considers them nor the fact that we reloaded on D with talented players. They all rank our D low thus our over all over team rating low (5th) in WAC - THAT'S WAC! but let them think that way. We will show them on the field. No way lower then 2nd in the WAC. Imua Warriors!!!!!!
Forgot about Rocky. I added him. I think he and Tufaga will be neck and neck heading into the first game.
You're right about the D. Rocky and Blaze have both started in the past and if they are healthy, look out. I agree that this defense is being sold short by the WAC and national media. Mack has the type of players he wants- smaller and quicker DE's and LB's similar to his WAC title defense in '99. This side of the ball will surprise.

letsgobows
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies

Post by letsgobows »

hate to be negative, but im still not 100% confident in rocky and blaze. injury prone and both have never played an entire season. especially with the long layoff, i wonder what kind of game shape they will be in.

rocky is up training with ikei, lets see what type of shape he comes back in.
college football=drama for men.
GO WARRIORS!

Kahaluu Imua Warriors
Starter
Starter

Post by Kahaluu Imua Warriors »

I don't think it is negative but a big mystery. I see Blaze every once in a while and he has bulked up. Hope his legs and speed have kept up with his upper body. But letsgobows is right to question their playing without injury future. To me if these to can play without injury and up to their full potental our D will be great, if not hmmmmm? Than it will be a matter of our O just out scoring our opponents which I feel can do.

I'm finally a "starter" on this forum-500 posts!
www.southseascinema.org

The Ha'a is heard, louder and louder.
Okole is kicked.
Now the enemy runs home to cry to their mother.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: Atlanta Braves
NBA: Atlanta Hawks
NFL: San Diego Chargers

Post by Scott »

Nice work, it made the front page! :)
"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

Mahalo,
Scott
http://www.sportshawaii.com
"Hawaii's Fan Based Sports Page"

tomboahi
High-quality H20 provider

Post by tomboahi »

Scott wrote:Nice work, it made the front page! :)
twice! at least for a little while :) good job, uhwarrior23!

salas, pilares, rocky and blaze -- all set to explode in '09!

crackers
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by crackers »

great review. i been away for a while.

alexander is gona be a stud this year with a year behind him as well as pilaris!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by crackers on Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

uhwarrior23
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by uhwarrior23 »

Awesome! Thanks, Scott. :D

Mr.EDGE808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Mr.EDGE808 »

uhwarrior23 wrote:
Awesome! Thanks, Scott. :D
+1! :hello1: Hey, the guy with the BIG GUNs and looking for kittens does pay attention.....sometimes :wink: .
Because in my mind,it's always clear...evil thoughts that twist my mind into despair- Iron Maiden

warriorfan_82
NFL: St. Louis Rams

Post by warriorfan_82 »

11-2 record? I wonder who are 2 loses are??

IM BACKIN MCMACKIN!!!!
GO WARRIORS!!!

uhwarrior23
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Schedule prediction

Post by uhwarrior23 »

Central Arkansas W 56-17
@ Washington St. W 38-21
@ UNLV W 41-13
@ La Tech W 44-34
Fresno St. W 37-30
@ Idaho W 45-14
Boise St. W 49-28
@ Nevada L 28-35
Utah St. W 58-20
New Mexico St. 62-10
@ San Jose St. 42-14
Navy L 33-36 OT
Wisconsin W 41-24

I wouldn't be surprised if the Warriors beat Navy and finish 12-1. I know Wazzu is picked to finish last in the pac-10, again, but it's early on and it's on the road so that game could be closer than people think. Lots of people see us losing to Boise State but the game is at home and we all know what happened last time they came to Aloha Stadium. Heck, in all the games Hawaii has lost to BSU, all games were decided by a TD or less w/ the excpetion of 2 games ('03 L BSU 28-45; '04 L @ BSU 3-69.) Hawaii could easily be undefeated against BSU at home and most people don't realize this but Hawaii is undefeated at home against the Broncs when Mack is a coach for the Warriors (DC '99 W 34-19; DC '07 W 39-27.) I see the Warriors coming out fired up from the get go and taking it to the Broncos. Hawaii has dominated Fresno in recent years. The Bulldogs will come out w/ something to prove but will fall short at Aloha Stadium. I see the two toughest WAC games for the Warriors being @ La Tech and @ Reno. If Hawaii can win them both, this could end up being an undefeated season for UH. Navy, w/ all their Hawaii connections, will be almost like a rivalry game. I see it going down to the wire. Wisconsin have not been the same since Barry Alvarez retired and Brent Bilema took over. The Badgers were able to beat UH in Colt Brennan's first year at UH, in '05, 24-41. The Warriors will get revenge big time in '09 against a mediocre Wisconsin team. 11-2 is the record I see but I could see this team w/ anywhere from 10 wins to 13.