Star-Bulletin presents "The Centurions"

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
DaveR
High-quality H20 provider

Star-Bulletin presents "The Centurions"

Post by DaveR »

You won't agree with all of our choices, but we think you'll enjoy the overall package ...

Top 100 starts tomorrow

We're calling it "The Centurions." The 100 greatest players, in celebration of the 100th anniversary of University of Hawaii football.

Starting tomorrow we count them down, with photos and stories recounting the stars, from the Wonder Teams of the 1920s through the Dream Season of the Sugar Bowl.

A panel of media — some linked with UH football back to the 1950s — ranked them, in consultation with every head coach of the past 35 years, except for one.

Five will be revealed each day from tomorrow to the end of June, and then each of the top 30 gets his own day and profile by a Star-Bulletin or guest writer. The running list will be posted online, on a Web page where readers can comment on each selection.

It's six weeks until the start of fall camp, but there will be a daily dose of UH football history every day in the Star-Bulletin.

chawan_cut
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Star-Bulletin presents "The Centurions"

Post by chawan_cut »

cool!
can't wait!
Go Warriors! Go Na Wahine!

All-American
All-American

Post by 808 »

Heard you talking about it on the radio this morning, Dave. Looking forward to it.

uhwarrior23
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Braves
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Pats

Post by uhwarrior23 »

Awesome idea!!! :dubthum:

wayoutwest
Play Maker
Play Maker
MLB: Orioles

Post by wayoutwest »

top ten (off the top of my head):

Colt Brennan
Jason Elam
Al Noga
Niko Noga
Ashley Lelie
Tommy Kaulukukui
Jesse Sapolu
Vince Manuwai
Levi Stanley
Gary Allen

considering the players i left off, i can tell this was probably a long, grueling, amusing process.

DaveR

Post by DaveR »

wayoutwest wrote:top ten (off the top of my head):

considering the players i left off, i can tell this was probably a long, grueling, amusing process.
"grueling and amusing" describes the process perfectly. I can't think of many other things in life both grueling and amusing.

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

Here are some notables from college-football/players-sent-to-the-nf ... -of-hawaii
The University of Hawaii, while not a year in and year out football powerhouse, is a very popular school that many great players flock to and play football at. Over the years Hawaii has sent more than 75 players into the National Football League and many of them have performed at a very high level. Here is a look at some of the interesting facts surrounding some of the many players that the University of Hawaii has contributed to the NFL.

-The University of Hawaii player that has gone on to score more touchdowns in the NFL than any other is wide receiver Golden Richards who accumulated 18 during his career.

-No former University of Hawaii football player has appeared in more NFL games than kicker Jason Elam.

-Jason Elam’s three NFL Pro Bowl appearances are more than any other former Hawaii football player, tied for second with two Pro Bowl appearances are Mark Tuinei and Jesse Sapolu.

-Jim Mills was 6′9″ tall when he was drafted by the Baltimore Colts in the 9th round of the 1983 NFL Draft, he is the tallest University of Hawaii player ever taken in the draft. Jeff Snyder was the shortest when the Philadelphia Eagles selected the 5′6″ tall wide receiver in 1992.

-At 348 pounds, running back Reagan Mauia was the heaviest player drafted out of the University of Hawaii when the Miami Dolphins used their 6th round selection to take him in the 2007 NFL Draft.

-When the Denver Broncos selected wide receiver Ashley Lelie with the 19th pick of the first round of the 2002 NFL Draft, it was the highest any University of Hawaii player had ever been drafted.

Notable pro football players that played collegiately at the University of Hawaii include Jason Elam, Mark Tuinei, Kimo von Oelhoffen, Larry Cole, Jesse Sapolu, Kani Kauahi, Rich Miano, Mel Tom, Ron Hall, Jeris White, Niko Noga, Leo Goeas, Maa Tanuvasa, Golden Richards, Ashley Lelie, Dana McLemore, and June Jones.
Golden Richards would be among the first players that I remember from my UH days.

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

browndog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by browndog »

No forget Chad Owens, easily in my top 10 all time, maybe higher.

The elite:
Brennan, niko and al noga, lelie, CO, jason elam, jesse sapolu

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

What a great idea. It's going to be a really interesting series. I'm really looking forward to it, especially the stories on the players from the "good old days". I'll bet it goes back to Otto Klum's 1920's "Wonder Teams" and the "Four Horsemen of Manoa". Tommy Kalaukukui from the 30's and the first UH All-American has to be near the top of the list. Harry Kahuanui, the All-American from the 40's and first UH player to play in the East-West Shrine game will be on the list too. Also from the 40's, Richard Mamiya the world renowned heart surgeon who held the single game passing record for nearly 40 years has to be on the list. Larry Price from the 60's, one of the greatest linemen in UH history and only player to participate in 3 Hula Bowls will be on the list.

Mr.EDGE808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Mr.EDGE808 »

DaveR wrote:You won't agree with all of our choices, but we think you'll enjoy the overall package ...

Top 100 starts tomorrow

We're calling it "The Centurions."....
:o WHOA...was the Centurions the BAD guys on Battlestar Galaxtica? :lol:

:oops: Sorry Mr DaveR.....just the "geek" in me. :P [-X :wink:
Because in my mind,it's always clear...evil thoughts that twist my mind into despair- Iron Maiden

uhwarrior23
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Braves
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Pats

Post by uhwarrior23 »

Some of my favorite Warrior players of all time: Colt Brennan, Chad Owens, Ashley Lelie, Davone Bess, Ryan Grice-Mullins, Dan Kelly, Ryan Mouton, Solomon Elimimian, Abraham Elimimian, Travis Laboy, Nick Rolovich, Timmy Chang, Nate Ilaoa, Ikaika Alama-Francis, Jeff Ulbrich, Pisa Tinoisamoa, Isaako Sopoaga, Dan Robinson, Jason Elam, Jeff Sydner, Michael Carter, Garrett Gabriel
Last edited by uhwarrior23 on Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Steve Murray

Post by Steve Murray »

Perhaps not the best but personal favs all the same.

Colt, Ryan, Al Noga (the guy who introduced me to UH football), Michael Carter, Travis Sims (loved the running game), Jeff Ulbrich, Isaac Sopoaga, Chad Owens, Timo Paepule (great hair), Samson Satele, Keala Watson (outstanding player and great personality), Nate Ilaoa (best rb of the JJ era), Leonard Peters (heat seeking missle), Stutzman (didn't look like a receiver but was a player), Pete Wilson (didn't see play but anyone who runs on BYU for 270 yards deserves some props), Travis Laboy, Ikaika Alama-Francis, Pisa.

Good enough

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

I guess the series started today with nos. 100 to 96 (Craig Stutzmann, Jake Ingram, Alex Kaloi, Rusty Holt and Larry Price), with Larry Price being featured. I did not know that Larry played at UH in the early 1960's, and played OL/DL (i.e., was a two way player).

steeltoe
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by steeltoe »

Larry Price was the one who gave UH "Rainbow Warriors" as a nickname. What a fertile mind. I would've been okay with Manoa Mashers. I hope Peter Kim makes the list but probably won't. The guy owns Liliha Bakery now!

Sabut20
Pine rider
Pine rider

Stutz at #100?

Post by Sabut20 »

Okay since we have to entertain ourselves in this dead sports time of the year lets start to debate "THE CENTURIONS."

Stutz no respect at #100? I remember Craig Stutzmann from the Fresno game in 1999 catching the game winning touchdown in overtime to win the WAC championship for only the second time in school history. Also the route against BYU in 2001 and "the punt." I can't imagine he's only #100.

I mean Jake Ingram is cool and was consistant but sorry he's a long snapper... Can't beat the "Poi Hands" Craig Stutzman. Can he?
GO BOWS!