Looks like Kaiwi Crabb and Taz Stevenson wants to play......

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
jediwarrior
All-conference
All-conference

Re: Looks like Kaiwi Crabb and Taz Stevenson wants to play......

Post by jediwarrior »

H20 wrote:This is when you employ JJ's don't waste your time strategy.
I don't know H20. I think JJ did waste his time on guys like this. Hence, last minute recruiting and crappy recruiting classes. It took Glanville to come on board to realize UH didn't have the talent to compete and started recruiting Texas.

We can only hope that Mack is smart enough not to waste Tony Tuioti's time on guys like this. Too much talent on the mainland, and Tony has proven he can get um.

dcwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by dcwarrior »

well I don't think wasting time on players like this was the reason for the late recruiting. It was a combo of a bunch of things. 1. JJ's pride in wanting players to want UH first, 2. JJ's hurt pride in going 0-fer on blue chips early in his tenure, 3. no recruiting coordinator, and 4. just the attitude that he didn't want to waste time recruiting and re-recruiting and defending, just wanted to start in December and get it all over with.
jediwarrior wrote:
I don't know H20. I think JJ did waste his time on guys like this. Hence, last minute recruiting and crappy recruiting classes. It took Glanville to come on board to realize UH didn't have the talent to compete and started recruiting Texas.

We can only hope that Mack is smart enough not to waste Tony Tuioti's time on guys like this. Too much talent on the mainland, and Tony has proven he can get um.
Substance matters.

jojun
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by jojun »

Taz will do very good where ever he goes. He is a very talented individual. offense and defense

Kaiwi will be a big plus to whoever gets him.

jediwarrior
All-conference
All-conference

Post by jediwarrior »

dcwarrior wrote:well I don't think wasting time on players like this was the reason for the late recruiting. It was a combo of a bunch of things. 1. JJ's pride in wanting players to want UH first, 2. JJ's hurt pride in going 0-fer on blue chips early in his tenure, 3. no recruiting coordinator, and 4. just the attitude that he didn't want to waste time recruiting and re-recruiting and defending, just wanted to start in December and get it all over with.
jediwarrior wrote:

Agree DC.

I liked JJ, but man, recruiting wasn't his forte.

With Mac's Junior Day, football camps, and the hiring of Tony Tuioti, Mac is light-years ahead of JJ.

I just wish he'd return to Texas with a vengeance. He was the Big 12 recruiter of the year at TT. ...and he's proving what Glanville has proved. You want "STARTERS"? They're in Texas.

He recruits two players from Texas in Tank and Bradley...and they're already penciled as STARTERS.

Glanville recruited Lewis, Newberry, Patek, and Mouton...and they "started".

Go East young Tony. Go East to the Lone Star State.

H20
MLB: Not a big fan of MLB.
NBA: Celtics
NFL: Falcons

Post by H20 »

jediwarrior wrote:

You mean JJ recruited guys at the end that always wanted to go away? I don't remember that.

jediwarrior
All-conference
All-conference

Post by jediwarrior »

H20 wrote:
jediwarrior wrote:

You mean JJ recruited guys at the end that always wanted to go away? I don't remember that.
I guess you're right.

But the question is, who was JJ going after that didn't commit to UH...then he had to scramble for players who had no business at the D1-a level at all.

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

To play for the Warriors, you gotta have heart. And if their heart is somewhere else? Time to say, 'sayonara', good luck, best wishes, maybe in the next life, and make bff with the next candidate who has has an open mind on becoming part of the Warrior Ohana and becoming an important player that helps UH build that winning tradition.

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

H20
MLB: Not a big fan of MLB.
NBA: Celtics
NFL: Falcons

Post by H20 »

jediwarrior wrote: I guess you're right.

But the question is, who was JJ going after that didn't commit to UH...then he had to scramble for players who had no business at the D1-a level at all.
Well that was kinda my point as well. People use to get on JJ for not recruiting certain guys and he basically said that we knew they wanted to go away so why waste our time. So I was just saying that since we know these guys desire to go away, no use waste time/energy trying and stop them. JJ will never be remembered for great recruiting, but I always agreed with not wasting time on guys who fell the need to announce that they don't want to stay home.

As far as kids he did recruit not coming to UH, I mean you can't get them all. I wouldn't call it a waste of time if he thought there was a chance. In the case of these 2, we know ahead of time that we don't, so we should thank them for not stringing us along and wasting our time.

tangomike
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by tangomike »

JJ had other miscues in recruiting, such as not visiting local high schools, not fixing his relationship with Kahuku, not doing home visites even to local recruits. there were reports that even when kids were on recruiting visits that he didn't spend much time with them. he also didn't believe in running camps, therefore UH never did any until coach Mac started doing them last year.

his mantra that if a kid wanted to play for the warriors, then they would contact UH, just didn't work. he also said that he didn't need to recruit qb's and wr's, cause the they would flock to the program. he also said he didn't need good linemen because the qb's got the ball out to quickly. as brilliant as he was as an offensive coach, he lacked in recruiting badly.
H20 wrote:
jediwarrior wrote: I guess you're right.

Well that was kinda my point as well. People use to get on JJ for not recruiting certain guys and he basically said that we knew they wanted to go away so why waste our time. So I was just saying that since we know these guys desire to go away, no use waste time/energy trying and stop them. JJ will never be remembered for great recruiting, but I always agreed with not wasting time on guys who fell the need to announce that they don't want to stay home.

As far as kids he did recruit not coming to UH, I mean you can't get them all. I wouldn't call it a waste of time if he thought there was a chance. In the case of these 2, we know ahead of time that we don't, so we should thank them for not stringing us along and wasting our time.

9NAJORT4
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by 9NAJORT4 »

jojun wrote:Taz will do very good where ever he goes. He is a very talented individual. offense and defense

Kaiwi will be a big plus to whoever gets him.
Taz and Kaiwi are known to be good students. :hello1:
I think of u, I think of me, I think of us
Idon'tcarei'mjustgladtohaveyou

"GO WARRIORS"

halaokolele
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by halaokolele »

Dorris,
I believe you when you say he has two in hand offers....however I am also positive that she said that if it came between a jc and hawaii the kid was going to the mainland. Never really watched him after that saw him a couple of times last year and never really impressed me could be he was outshined by te'o like the rest of the world but thought he was better in his 10th grade year.
I have nothing against the kid...but he wont be considering Hawaii, as I am sure you know....

BRADAHMAN
Starter
Starter

Post by BRADAHMAN »

halaokolele wrote:Dorris,
thought he was better in his 10th grade year.
To be fair, he has not had a QB to throw him the ball since the 10th grade. If he was on St. Louis or Punahou the kid would be racking up some monster number... With that said, if he does not want to play for Hawaii then he can kiss my :bootyshake: