April 23rd Practice (Videos up, Photos up soon)

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
Kahaluu Imua Warriors
Starter
Starter

April 23rd Practice (Videos up, Photos up soon)

Post by Kahaluu Imua Warriors »

Last of the spring practices, I was late but I arrived right before the "warm up" scrimmage for Saturday's Spring Scrimmage. It looked like the teams were split up like the Roster for Saturday. It was spirited! Austin started out really well with many accurate throws, most to Pollard. A TD was called back because an Oline jumped to early, then a theoretical sack by Ahmad but despite the great play by the offense the D held deep in their territory. The first play of the other team resulted in a great run/catch from (I'm sure Lane who was wearing injured Taylor's #9 jersey) who sped past the DBs. A great throw of course by Rausch for this one play long bomb TD. And that was it. Apparently first one scores wins and the players got to hit the showers early. I may sound too positive in my reports lately but that is because I was there last spring and summer and it was not pretty (especially after watching Colt and company) on the Offense. But again they looked good today even without the starting QB and the rosters mixed up by 1st and 2nd stringers. It was fun and I got my monies worth.

Also got to shake hands with and wish Veikune good luck for the upcoming draft (I just listened to him on the BC show and he still had his cell phone in his hand). Got to talk to Coach Wilton on the side lines (I worked on a project with him years ago) we talk about the big new German recruit (should be getting his LOI faxed in today). I hear the older European players could not block this 6-9 teen who played on the German national Jr. team. This kid will turn our program around. Coach Mike said jokingly that this recruit is his going away present to UH. Coach Wilton will be missed. Back to football; talked to Kekaula about his report of the "Noki" offense on TV yesterday (as opposed to the "Oakie" defense) I told him jokingly I thought it was a secret and he said Coach Mac announced it to the press after practice yesterday. Robert's a good guy and approachable. Talked to Inoke Funaki (the new offensive series is named after a cross between both his names) about the new plays but of course I wont print anything here about it. I met Inoke and his wife last year at a church funtion. Speaking of church, talk to Nasty Nate in church last Sunday-man do we miss him. Lastly saw big LaCount talking to his cousin John Estes after practice-keeping our fingers crossed on that guy. Man I'm starting to sound like a sports gossip columnist.

Imua Warriors!!!!!
Last edited by Kahaluu Imua Warriors on Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.southseascinema.org

Warriors! Come out and play-i-ay!
The Ha'a is heard, louder and louder.
Okole is kicked.
Now the enemy runs home to cry to their mother.

letsgobows
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets

Re: April 23rd Practice

Post by letsgobows »

thank for the update.
college football=drama for men.
GO WARRIORS!

NelsonO
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench
NFL: Dallas

Post by NelsonO »

Thursday's practice was at the Ching Field and #16 threw the ball to #9.

The Warriors unveiled their new punt formation today under the direction of Coach Tormey. Since I am not supposed to divulge new formations, I just wait until Stephen Tsai mentions it. Actually this formation may be new to Hawaii, but I have seen other teams utilize this formation.

Filling in as the punter today was defensive tackle Tuika Tufaga. He will be placed on scholarship, but I can tell you it is not because of his punting ability.

Outside of injury, the first team defense has not changed for most of spring practice. There have been several changes to the second team as players compete for spots. This morning, the second team consisted of Paipai Falemalu, Mana Lolotai and Pookela Ahmad at linebackers; Richard Torres and Lewis Walker at cornerbacks; Lametrius Davis and Kenny Estes at safeties.

It’s been difficult to get a good reading on the defensive line back-ups as they rotate different players in and out of the line-up.

The Warriors spend a lot of time practicing their red zone offense. Probably because if they can squeeze the ball into the small windows of the red zone, they can squeeze the ball into anyplace. This morning, Royce Pollard made a beautiful catch in the end zone on a pass from Greg Alexander.

The NFL-bound David Veikune observed practice today. LaCount also observed practice and he is absolutely huge.

In anticipation of Saturday’s Warrior Bowl at the Aloha Stadium, the respective teams spent some time practicing as a unit. At the end of practice, each team was allowed one possession of the ball.

Shane Austin’s team had the ball first and marched right down the field. An apparent touchdown from Austin to Greg Salas ignited a boisterous celebration with Salas dunking the ball over the goal post. The touchdown was called back because of a heavily disputed illegal procedure call. The drive stalled on a wild play when an Austin pass bounced off a receiver near the goal line and was batted back to a surprised Austin. Doing his best Inoke Funaki impression, Austin tried to advance the ball, but was stonewalled short of the goal line.

Brent Rausch’s team got the ball next and on the first play Rausch scrambled for an apparent long gain. But the play was called back, because Rausch was ruled (after a long discussion) as being sacked in the pocket. On the very next play, Rausch unleashed a bomb to Malcolm Lane, who “disguised” himself by switching to jersey #9. The Rausch to Lane pass, catch and run covered about 60 yards for a touchdown and won them temporary bragging rights.

If this short preview is any indication of Saturday’s game, it’s gonna be a lot of fun (or a lot of arguing).

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

Kahaluu Imua Warriors wrote: I may sounds too positive in my reports lately but that is because I was there last spring and summer and it was not pretty (especially after watching Colt and company) on the Offense. But again they looked good today even without the starting QB and the rosters mixed up by 1st and 2nd stringers. It was fun and I got my monies worth.

Imua Warriors!!!!!
Mahlo for your contributions for those of us that cannot make it to Manoa in the mornings.

Last season our Warriors went 7 - 7 with one of the toughest road and occ scheduling they have ever had and a somewhat unseasoned, quickly assembled supporting coach staff. This season, while the three weeks on the road will be long and arduous, the teams they play are not close to what they faced last season and our coaching staff have been considerably upgraded.

Given what you saw last spring and this spring. What's your prediction for next season? How much better will they do?

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

Kahaluu Imua Warriors
Starter
Starter

Post by Kahaluu Imua Warriors »

DATE/*OPPONENTS/*******THINK/FEEL/COMMENTS
9/4***CENTRAL ARKANSAS''**win*win*No comment
9/12**@ Washington State**win*win*Weak team, semi neutral field
9/19**@ Nevada-Las Vegas**win*win*We will be home team
9/30**@ Louisiana Tech*****loss*loss*Hostile place, long road trip
10/10*FRESNO STATE'''******loss*win*We beat them last year w/ a worst team
10/17*@ Idaho************win*win*This is a winning team not like U St. last year
10/24*BOISE STATE'''*******loss*loss*Close game but our rebuilt D won’t match up
10/31*@ Nevada'**********loss*win*We have been beating them & no reason to change
11/7**UTAH STATE''********win*win*New coach, home, revenge!
11/14*NEW MEXICO ST.*****win*win*New coach, new QB equals we win
11/21*@ San Jose State'****win*win*Home and better offense will decide this one
11/28*NAVY'**************win*win*Actually our D is good against the run.
12/5**WISCONSIN''********loss*loss*Long season, but it will be close.
************************8-5*10-3

Not bad, bowl game either way. As usual the Boise game determines the WAC Champs. We could go 12-1 with good team leaders and some new playmakers in this untested D. The health of Soares may make the difference.
www.southseascinema.org

The Ha'a is heard, louder and louder.
Okole is kicked.
Now the enemy runs home to cry to their mother.

Garret
Starter
Starter

Post by Garret »

Thank you for the practice reports!

uhwarrior23
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Braves
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Pats

Post by uhwarrior23 »

Thanks for the reports, guys. :D

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: Atlanta Braves
NBA: Atlanta Hawks
NFL: San Diego Chargers

Post by Scott »

Here are a few videos that I took at today's practice. I'm having problems uploading photos to the gallery, will post as soon as we fix the problem.

Shane Austin Completion: http://www.sportshawaii.com/video/100_1190.wmv

Shane Austin Complete to himself off of someones head: http://www.sportshawaii.com/video/100_1216.wmv

Shane Austin for a long run: http://www.sportshawaii.com/video/100_1206.wmv

Second play of the Makai's team possession Malcome Lane Scores a touchdown. Here is the post touchdown celebration: http://www.sportshawaii.com/video/100_1219.wmv
"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

Mahalo,
Scott
http://www.sportshawaii.com
"Hawaii's Fan Based Sports Page"

Waryor
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Waryor »

totally agree with your assesment. and thanks for the spring report.
Kahaluu Imua Warriors wrote:DATE/*OPPONENTS/*******THINK/FEEL/COMMENTS
9/4***CENTRAL ARKANSAS''**win*win*No comment
9/12**@ Washington State**win*win*Weak team, semi neutral field
9/19**@ Nevada-Las Vegas**win*win*We will be home team
9/30**@ Louisiana Tech*****loss*loss*Hostile place, long road trip
10/10*FRESNO STATE'''******loss*win*We beat them last year w/ a worst team
10/17*@ Idaho************win*win*This is a winning team not like U St. last year
10/24*BOISE STATE'''*******loss*loss*Close game but our rebuilt D won’t match up
10/31*@ Nevada'**********loss*win*We have been beating them & no reason to change
11/7**UTAH STATE''********win*win*New coach, home, revenge!
11/14*NEW MEXICO ST.*****win*win*New coach, new QB equals we win
11/21*@ San Jose State'****win*win*Home and better offense will decide this one
11/28*NAVY'**************win*win*Actually our D is good against the run.
12/5**WISCONSIN''********loss*loss*Long season, but it will be close.
************************8-5*10-3

Not bad, bowl game either way. As usual the Boise game determines the WAC Champs. We could go 12-1 with good team leaders and some new playmakers in this untested D. The health of Soares may make the difference.

kalilix7
Play Maker
Play Maker
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Patriots

Re: April 23rd Practice (Videos up, Photos up soon)

Post by kalilix7 »

Thanks for the updates KIW and NelsonO