wed april 22 practice

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
crackers
Pine rider
Pine rider

wed april 22 practice

Post by crackers »

went to 1st practice today. there was about 50 fans. all the t.v. and newspaper guys there. i watched the offense. they look very smooth. dont know names but will give some details on numbers.
QB:
#11 edited by moderator. Please don't post formation, new plays, players at new positions per UH staff.
#12 the starting qb looks pretty decent, he is the best we got.
#10 has great feet , and a quicker release and strong arm. he is about 6'.
recvers: OVERALL....SPEED.
#3 is fast, good hands, cuts routes short at times but is constantly getting well coached by stuzz. seems to be #12's favorite target.
#89 on the other side did well too, but had a few drops, good speed .
#5 seems to have the full package. catches EVERYTHING, great route runner and has real good speed. caught a lot of balls today
#87 is a big target, but seems to lack consentration at times.
#84 (i think) tall kid, awkward at times catches ball with body
slots:
#1 big target, tough , great hands , a football player
#21 is 'the real deal' lightning quick, hands, great routes.
#88 looks to be the #3 guy.
#2 nice job today. quick not fast, good hands.
rb:
#23 is big
#22 had some real nice runs
#11 -see qbs. he is not the fastest but kid has great vision.

Kahaluu Imua Warriors
Starter
Starter

April 22nd Practice

Post by Kahaluu Imua Warriors »

Had to drop off my wife in town for a 7am doctor's appointment, guess where I went? First negative news; the QBs didn't look as sharp today and Lane dropped a couple passes, besides that there was a lot of up side.

Offense: WRs and Slots look good again, Blount and Jovonte has speed and it showed this morning and so does Rodney Bradley who continues to impress. Great one handed bullet pass Ro Bra (Bradley) caught in drills. Ryan Henry, Salas, and Medeiros looked very good and consistent. I was never high on Lofton but he has improved a lot and I see why the coaches can't pick starters which is good bad news. Hope to see a rotation at these skilled reciever spots. At the end of practice the team ran a few special plays with Fonoki at QB. I'm not going to give the plays away but they looked good and it will mix up future Defenses. I'd rather he take the snaps as a half back but I'm not the HC. Rego had a good tough run up the belly of the D. The Oline (first and second team) looked pretty good. They did beat the D in half the plays in their line drills which is way better than last year when they hardly every beat the D at all. New coaches are doing their job. By the way who's the guy helping out with the linebackers? Also future looks bright. Young Stutzmann looked good and the Garness kid looks great for a 1st year kid, has a good future with the Warriors. First looks at him I though he was too soft but the Coaching staff was smart to wait on him and with his hard work on weights, and maturity the delay is paying of well.

Defense: Speaking of the future, Lewis Walker is getting some playing time and is coming along well. Kenny Estes is also seeing some good playing time. Hanohano and Correa is getting field time but I wish Paipai would. The big red-shirt freshman is still not in pads but is in some drills. Young Meatoga got praise from Coach Mac and told all the oher D-tackles to follow his example in fighting hard in getting across the line of scrimage fast. I see Leatigaga playing D-tackle, I think a good move because of his size. I think Fonoti got a pick but I didn't save my notes on my phone :(

Lastly talked to one of the big Frietas boys who played for Arizona. Asked him why he didn't stay since he was a UH fan. He said for he and his brother 2 words: Duane Akina. Too bad we don't have Akina on our staff. Being a coach now at Texas, we can't afford him. Maybe the future. Frietas is also the cousins of center John Estes and also to big Kainoa LaCount who Frietas says is in JC to get the right classes for UH. Hope to see him in the summer.
www.southseascinema.org

Warriors! Come out and play-i-ay!
The Ha'a is heard, louder and louder.
Okole is kicked.
Now the enemy runs home to cry to their mother.

Kahaluu Imua Warriors
Starter
Starter

Re: wed april 22 practice

Post by Kahaluu Imua Warriors »

Sorry crackers I guess I was writing my practice report while you posted this similar topic. Maybe the moderators can combine us.
www.southseascinema.org

The Ha'a is heard, louder and louder.
Okole is kicked.
Now the enemy runs home to cry to their mother.

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings

Post by bigislandkurt »

Funny that the first point on #11 was zapped by the moderators. Tsai's blog today talks about the "new formation" called the noke. I don't think anything is new news. The rest of the WAC will know that when Inoke is on the field, anything "flashy" is possible.

BIK
Friendship is Essential to the Soul

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

Mahalo to both of you for the posts. I enjoyed them a lot.

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

Waryor
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Waryor »

I don't remember numbers, so i thought this might help others like me out:
#12 (Alexander) the starting qb looks pretty decent, he is the best we got.
#10 (Austin) has great feet , and a quicker release and strong arm. he is about 6'.
recvers: OVERALL....SPEED.
#3 (Bradley) is fast, good hands, cuts routes short at times but is constantly getting well coached by stuzz. seems to be #12's favorite target.
#89 (Lane) on the other side did well too, but had a few drops, good speed .
#5 ('Little' Stutz) seems to have the full package. catches EVERYTHING, great route runner and has real good speed. caught a lot of balls today
#87 (Tinoco) is a big target, but seems to lack consentration at times.
#84 (Avery) (i think) tall kid, awkward at times catches ball with body
slots:
#1 (Salas) big target, tough , great hands , a football player
#21 (Pilares) is 'the real deal' lightning quick, hands, great routes.
#88 (Henry)looks to be the #3 guy.
#2 (Medeiros) nice job today. quick not fast, good hands.
rb:
#23 (LWJ) is big
#22 (Rego) had some real nice runs
#11 (Funaki) -see qbs. he is not the fastest but kid has great vision.
from this post, i gather that bradley and lane are the starting receivers and salas and pilares are the starting slots. that's a GOOD lineup.

Makai TailG8TAZ
Starter
Starter

Re: April 22nd Practice

Post by Makai TailG8TAZ »

Kahaluu Imua Warriors wrote:Had to drop off my wife in town for a 7am doctor's appointment, guess where I went? First negative news; the QBs didn't look as sharp today and Lane dropped a couple passes, besides that there was a lot of up side.

Offense: WRs and Slots look good again, Blount and Jovonte has speed and it showed this morning and so does Rodney Bradley who continues to impress. Great one handed bullet pass Ro Bra (Bradley) caught in drills. Ryan Henry, Salas, and Medeiros looked very good and consistent. I was never high on Lofton but he has improved a lot and I see why the coaches can't pick starters which is good bad news. Hope to see a rotation at these skilled reciever spots. At the end of practice the team ran a few special plays with Fonoki at QB. I'm not going to give the plays away but they looked good and it will mix up future Defenses. I'd rather he take the snaps as a half back but I'm not the HC. Rego had a good tough run up the belly of the D. The Oline (first and second team) looked pretty good. They did beat the D in half the plays in their line drills which is way better than last year when they hardly every beat the D at all. New coaches are doing their job. By the way who's the guy helping out with the linebackers? Also future looks bright. Young Stutzmann looked good and the Garness kid looks great for a 1st year kid, has a good future with the Warriors. First looks at him I though he was too soft but the Coaching staff was smart to wait on him and with his hard work on weights, and maturity the delay is paying of well.

Defense: Speaking of the future, Lewis Walker is getting some playing time and is coming along well. Kenny Estes is also seeing some good playing time. Hanohano and Correa is getting field time but I wish Paipai would. The big red-shirt freshman is still not in pads but is in some drills. Young Meatoga got praise from Coach Mac and told all the oher D-tackles to follow his example in fighting hard in getting across the line of scrimage fast. I see Leatigaga playing D-tackle, I think a good move because of his size. I think Fonoti got a pick but I didn't save my notes on my phone :(

Lastly talked to one of the big Frietas boys who played for Arizona. Asked him why he didn't stay since he was a UH fan. He said for he and his brother 2 words: Duane Akina. Too bad we don't have Akina on our staff. Being a coach now at Texas, we can't afford him. Maybe the future. Frietas is also the cousins of center John Estes and also to big Kainoa LaCount who Frietas says is in JC to get the right classes for UH. Hope to see him in the summer.
Lots of good news being reported by alot of great people. Thanks for the updates. Glad to see AK Warrior's boy doing a good job. I hope to see him get plenty of playing time. Keep tearing it up brah and I hope you enjoy Hawaii and it's people as much as I do.

AK Warrior
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by AK Warrior »

Makai TailG8TAZ wrote:
Kahaluu Imua Warriors wrote:Had to drop off my wife in town for a 7am doctor's appointment, guess where I went? First negative news; the QBs didn't look as sharp today and Lane dropped a couple passes, besides that there was a lot of up side.

Lots of good news being reported by alot of great people. Thanks for the updates. Glad to see AK Warrior's boy doing a good job. I hope to see him get plenty of playing time. Keep tearing it up brah and I hope you enjoy Hawaii and it's people as much as I do.
Mahalo to all for taking notice of David and the kind words. David is really having a great time. He has found a second home in Hawaii and made many new friends. I know he is going to be working hard in the summer to take his performance to the next level. Can't wait for the Warrior Bowl on Saturday. As an Alaska boy, I will stick out like a sore thumb.........looking fish belly white after a long cold and dark Alaska winter. See you at the game. Go Warriors!

BleedGreen808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by BleedGreen808 »

I would also like to add about David Garness. I like what coach Shaw is doing. He is positioning him at guard instead of tackle. I think coach Shaw would like a bigger and taller OL.
"Limits like fears are just an illusion." Michael Jordan

kaliimc
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer
MLB: Mariners
NBA: None
NFL: Seahawks

Post by kaliimc »

AK Warrior wrote:
Makai TailG8TAZ wrote:

Mahalo to all for taking notice of David and the kind words. David is really having a great time. He has found a second home in Hawaii and made many new friends. I know he is going to be working hard in the summer to take his performance to the next level. Can't wait for the Warrior Bowl on Saturday. As an Alaska boy, I will stick out like a sore thumb.........looking fish belly white after a long cold and dark Alaska winter. See you at the game. Go Warriors!
Are you here for the Thursday practice also or just for the weekend?

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

bigislandkurt wrote:Funny that the first point on #11 was zapped by the moderators. Tsai's blog today talks about the "new formation" called the noke. I don't think anything is new news. The rest of the WAC will know that when Inoke is on the field, anything "flashy" is possible.

BIK
BIK,
UH Media Director, Derek Inouchi, has asked that Practice reports not include trick plays, formations, players experimenting at new positions. Since we have a good relationship with Derek, Coach Mack and Jim Donovan, the Moderators have chosen to abide by their rules. We cannot control what is posted on any other site but here.

If things get too out of hand in as far as "Overly Detailed" reports, you can be assured that practices will be closed.

Coach Mack is not like Coach Jones. This is his program and he has the final say :wink:

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings

Post by bigislandkurt »

right on BW.......I completely understand and respect how you handled the request by Derek and them in media relations. I wonder if Tsai got the same memo? haaaaaa.

and are there guidelines as to what would or would not constitute as one of those "hush hush" plays? It seems to be open to interpretation and Tsai interpreted it in a way that made your honorable zapping to look somewhat comical. It's all a matter of interpretation yeh? always good to side on the safe side. There is a huge difference in what Tsai does and what you guys do here on Sports Hawaii. I appreciate both.

Respect,
BIK
Friendship is Essential to the Soul

Garret
Starter
Starter

Post by Garret »

Thank you for the practice reports! The "Noke" formation is all over the news so it is no secret anymore. I actually think that is a good thing because it forces other teams to prepare for more things...they already are pressed for time to prepare for the 4-wide offense, so even if UH doesn't use the formation they will get an advantage.

Pocho
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Pocho »

Garret wrote:Thank you for the practice reports! The "Noke" formation is all over the news so it is no secret anymore. I actually think that is a good thing because it forces other teams to prepare for more things...they already are pressed for time to prepare for the 4-wide offense, so even if UH doesn't use the formation they will get an advantage.
your deductions makes sense, why would Mr. Derek ask SH.com not to talk about things when this could turn out to be a positive? Plus if he didn't want secret plays to come out he should have talked the Star and Adver. sport reporters of non-print as they have a huge readership following them compared to here.

Makes me think there's some type of conspiracy against this forum of some sorts.

edit: I don't think this forum will get any more/less secrets than others being its all part of the internet. Either way once someone moves his lips its bound to come out so the responsibility falls all on the loose lips, period.

edit: either above or someones getting more info which isn't being seen here on this forum. hmmmmmm

oh well I drop the subject and thanks for your eyes

warriorfan808

Post by warriorfan808 »

Thanks for the reports, wish I could have been there.