Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
rbaloha
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Feedback from 4/18 scrimmage

Post by rbaloha »

Feedback from 4/18 scrimmage
Standouts
+ Offensive Line -- Pass blocked very well. Aaron Kia appears in better condition. Displayed nice footwork, balance and hand placement. The run blocking is still a work in progress.
+ Wrs -- Rodney Bradley is amazing. Fast with nice hands. Javonte Taylor made some nice catches and displayed a second gear when the ball is in the air. Salas is a natural at slot and provides a big target. Mederios played well. Appears faster. Daniel Lofton and Billy Ray both made plays. By far the best collection of receivers in the JJ era.
+ Qbs -- Alexander is playing okay. learned to throw the ball away if a play does not exsist. Less of a windup release. IMO Austin is the #2 and the future starter for the next 2 years. Nice mobility, outstanding arm and field moxie.
+ DBs -- As a group are fast and athletic. Corners are unafraid to lower their heads and play the run. #4 made several outstanding plays. Spencer Smith is playing fast and making hits.

Overall the team appers in better shape and pratcing much crisper than last year. Finally we have enough athletes to resemble a BCS team.

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Feedback from 4/18 scrimmage

Post by HawaiianHogster »

Thank you. I look forward to these updates.
“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”

uhwarrior23
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Braves
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Pats

Post by uhwarrior23 »

Thanks for the report. :thumbup: It looks more and more like Bradley will be starting at LWR and Salas will be the starter at LSB. We have more size, speed and depth at receiver than ever before. Can't wait for the Warrior bowl next week!

BleedGreen808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by BleedGreen808 »

]Overall the team appers in better shape and pratcing much crisper than last year. Finally we have enough athletes to resemble a BCS team.
The team is on track alright. Much better than last year.

A few guys stood out to me today at practice. #3, #4, and #76. #3 has the speed and hands. #4 has the speed to cover and is a sure tackler. #76 is a big strong OT and in my mind should be starting soon once he learns the schemes. I predict by the end of summer camp, he will be starting or close to it. He just knows how to get in front of the DEs and push them around. Am impressed with these 3 recruits.

Also, there were at least three scuffles today. Not good in minimizing the penalties.
"Limits like fears are just an illusion." Michael Jordan

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

My overall impression is that the offense is way ahead of where it was last spring. The O-line (1st and 2nd team) play particularly in pass pro is much better. The trap, shovel screen and wide receiver screen blocking still have a ways to go. While not all passes were completed, it's clear the QBs have a much better understanding of the offense. Alexander in particular got to the backside receivers as well as getting to the 4th read on occasion. He even threw it away when needed. Rausch and Austin shared reps with the second group. Initially Austin looked a little sharper, but in later series made some bad decisions and throws. The offense still has a long ways to go to get to mid-season form, but it was encourging to see the big improvement from last spring.

The defense made some big hits and interceptions. Against the 1st and 2nd O-line, the pass rush was not particularly strong. That could be because of the improved play of the O-line and/or limited blitz packages they used. I liked the play of some of the JC transfer corners as well as some of the redshirt freshmen.

Hopefully the guys have a good week in practice and put in a good performance next Saturday at the Spring game.

tom-WarriorNation
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by tom-WarriorNation »

Can someone tell us who #3, #4, and #76 are; we are all excited to know!
WE BELIEVE! GO WARRIORS! Let us grow this Warrior Nation.

guaransballbearins
Starter
Starter

Post by guaransballbearins »

tom-WarriorNation wrote:Can someone tell us who #3, #4, and #76 are; we are all excited to know!
Rodney Bradley, Tank Hopkins, Brett Leonard

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

definetely more talent and more speed. DBs are coming along fine. Lots of competition. 18 Bryant and 4 Tank Hopkins have stood out. The others are playing well. Bryant got sent to the sidelines twice for being too agressive.

While the receivers are playing well, especially Bradley, there are receivers taking plays off if they are not the primary receivers. I don't like it at all. They seem to go through the motions but not at top speed. What I don't like is if they are taking time off now they will during a game and if GA needs to find someone as the 3rd or fourth option they won't be there..........sack.

QBs are ok. Some prefer the long ball and wait for it to develop or are throwing it up for grabs. There were 2-3 that shouldn't have been thrown. I'm not sure if they are trying to impress coaches. GA took what was given. But he did make some bad throws in particular a pick when a DE dropped back into coverage and he didn't see him.

Lolotai looked very good. Other LBs played well too in the second unit.

Estes did get in a scuffle. Mac didn't care for any of the scuffles. He wants poise this year no stupid retaliation stuff.

They are working on the running game and screens. We are still having problems running the ball in when we are in the rezone.

Good day.

The baseball team was winning their game at Les Murakami next to the field.

The volleyball game on Sat was outstanding, emotion, exciting. They recognized the seniors from swimming and diving, tennis, track & field, sailing. It was a great day.

NelsonO
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench
NFL: Dallas

Post by NelsonO »

If you read Sunday’s Honolulu Advertiser, you already know about the touchdown passes; Greg Alexander to Rodney Bradley and Shane Austin to Jovonte Taylor. Both were beautiful. On Austin’s throw, he rolled left then found Taylor streaking down the right sideline. It was a cannon shot by Austin.

During Saturday's scrimmage, I thought the best catch of the day was when Greg Salas went sky high over a defender in the back of the end zone to pull in a two-point conversion after Bradley’s touchdown.

The rotation at QB is still Alexander first, Brent Rausch second and Austin third. Though it appears that Rausch and Austin are getting about the same number of snaps. Even Bryant Moniz got some reps during Saturday’s scrimmage. Steele Jantz is the scout QB. Bryce Kalau’oka’a’ea has apparently retired. Rumor has it that Rausch may seek an “extra” year.

The first set of receivers during Saturday’s scrimmage were Joe Avery, Jon Medeiros, Kealoha Pilares, and Malcolm Lane. Salas is the first one off the bench and he has been used almost exclusively at slotback.

The rotation at running back was Leon Wright-Jackson first, Inoke Funaki second, and Jayson Rego third. We had almost no running game on Saturday, though Rego had a couple of nice runs. Kennedy Carlson was the fourth running back on Saturday. Wright-Jackson was injured during Saturday’s scrimmage, but I don’t think it was anything serious.

The first team offense moved the ball pretty consistently through the air. But when the offensive back-ups went in, the defense came up with a few turnovers. I remember that Mana Silva and Spencer Smith had interceptions. Even defensive tackle Quentin Beaver came up with an interception on a tipped pass.

There had been some talk about rotating Lametrius Davis between cornerback and safety, but at least recently he has been used solely at safety. Josh Andrews got some reps at middle linebacker in the place of the injured Jake Heun. In addition to running back Daniel Libre seeking an extra year, slotback Nathaniel Nasca is also seeking an additional year.

warriorfan18
Starter
Starter

Post by warriorfan18 »

Glad to see that our JC guys that came into the spring are already making a solid impact. I was slightly nervous with all of the JC recruits this year but if the pan out right away then there is no loss at all. A Juco guy usually has two years tops so it is very crucial that if they are given a scholarship they are able to help out right away. Would have liked to see the JC RB's in this spring as well as Aaron Brown. But I like what I am hearing so far. Leonard, Hopkins, and Bradley should contribute a lot this year.