April 16th Practice

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
Kahaluu Imua Warriors
Starter
Starter

April 16th Practice

Post by Kahaluu Imua Warriors »

Finally managed to go to practice. I haven't been to one since the 1st spring practice. I only caught the last 50 mins but those are the best minutes because of the 11 on 11 drills and scrimage.

First big thought, coming from someone who hasn't seen practice for a while, is the the pace and sharpness of the practice in general. There is less concern and more smiles from the coaching staff because the boys are really catching on with things. The offensive while not the Colt and dreadheads offensive IS night and day better than last summer. Impressive compared to before when they struggled to even get off a pass.

I was watching the Oline and the Defensive put on an all out blitz and each defender was pickup-I almost cried, :lol: just like on the chalkboard. Although the line still let guys in at times they are more competitive with the D and they will only get better.
I like the miss counts the Offense is using at times to keep the D honest. There was multi offside violations by the D. I wished we used this simple thing with the SEC games. Play calling was much better with short dump passes and schuttle passes that were called durning heavy blitzes.

First three QBs looked good and Alexander by far the best. All three stayed in the pocket for quick passes and all three knew when to break out and run-when everyone is covered way dowm field and there is a lot of D about to collapse the pocket. Lots of open space to run and these plays are designed for that if needed. I didn't see LWJ and Paipai didn't have his shoulder pads on but he ran and he is a strong runner with some weight loss. I'm glad he and Jake Heun are with the linebackers and not the DEs. I was hoping to see Moody in more action. I guess we have a lot of good LBs and two more coming.

Although not on first team yet (?) Brett Leonard had the best hit, even though I didn't see the impact I HEARD it AND it was a down field block. Big smiles and praise from Mac and some other coaches. MPV of the day speedster Rodney Bradley with two big catches and one Bomb (actually a long bullet from Alexander) for a long TD. Impressive. Lane seems like Alexander's trusted outlet, lots of passes went to him and a good catch by Ryan Henry.

On D, although a fill in, Tank Hopkins has some wheels, closing in fast on a back field outlet pass, breaking it up and almost picking it off. Not too many interceptions because all QBs are playing with confidence. Although room for improvement for spring, they are playing great.
www.southseascinema.org

Warriors! Come out and play-i-ay!
Warriors! Come out and play-i-ay!
The Ha'a is heard, louder and louder.
Okole is kicked.
Now the enemy runs home to cry to their mother.

uhwarrior23
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Braves
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Pats

Re: April 16th Practice

Post by uhwarrior23 »

Thanks for the report. :dubthum: It's great to hear all the optimism about the offense.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

there was a special guess today.

The great Jesse Sapolu attended today's practice and spent some time talking to all the players. This was great because a lot of the newer players probably didn't know much about him. Greg introduced him and he talked to the team for about 5-10 minutes.

We are half way through spring training and having someone with Jesse's stature and resume address the team helps validate who we are and what needs to get done. I'm sure a lot of the players drew some motivation from his talk.

And where did Jesse go right after practice.

I went to Rainbow's to get my fix and he was there with two of his friends.

On another note I've heard Coach Mac talk about how this team needs to develop it's own personality. These four weeks will help but we aren't there yet. Leadership is still evolving. We still don't have the intensity and focus on every play by the first 22. Execution is still a work in progress. I'm sure at this point they are tired and that has something to do with it.

We are a work in progress yet.

On the positive side of the ball Bradley made two great catches. I mean great. I can see why the coaches are trying to get both Bradley and Salas on the field at the same time. There were also three diving catches, one by Lane.

And there was a crushing block on Taylor by Leonard. It was crushing and downfield. I didn't expect Taylor to get up. To Taylors credit he didn't give ground, he got driven to the turf by a 310 OT moving at full speed and popped back up. I like what they both did. Wow that hit has me ready for Sept.

But we do need to be twice as good as we are today to challenge for the WAC Championship.

dakineguy
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by dakineguy »

On the positive side of the ball Bradley made two great catches. I mean great. I can see why the coaches are trying to get both Bradley and Salas on the field at the same time. There were also three diving catches, one by Lane.
I am guessing there will be a lot of GA to RB and GA to Gs (gatorb and gatogs) Just have to hurry up and wait for few months more.
GO WARRIORS !!! PLAY HARD!!!!
Ohana Makou
ex-lounge lizard, ex-stair creature, ex-Jhaller

amg
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by amg »

How is #85, slot receiver, performing?

HK
All-conference
All-conference

Post by HK »

Thanks for the report.

NelsonO
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench
NFL: Dallas

Post by NelsonO »

TheDuke wrote:there was a special guess today.

And there was a crushing block on Taylor by Leonard. It was crushing and downfield. I didn't expect Taylor to get up. To Taylors credit he didn't give ground, he got driven to the turf by a 310 OT moving at full speed and popped back up. I like what they both did. Wow that hit has me ready for Sept.
Thanks for the report, but who is Taylor?

IPatentllo7o1
All-American
All-American

Post by IPatentllo7o1 »

Theres a rick taylor, coachken's son... and jovonte taylor... both are receivers...

letsgobows
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets

Post by letsgobows »

im assuming #7, lewis walker. since j taylor wears #7 as well.
college football=drama for men.
GO WARRIORS!

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

letsgobows wrote:im assuming #7, lewis walker. since j taylor wears #7 as well.
Correct!

kalilix7
Play Maker
Play Maker
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Patriots

Post by kalilix7 »

You are correct it was Lewis Walker who was smashed. The play in question was a RB screen to J Rego. You can view the picture by ISM for 16 JAN 08. What a great action photo, since that was the hit of the day(You can barely make ourt Rego behind Brett in the pic).

It was a crushing hit considering Brett is almost twice the size of Lewis. I have to give Lewis a lot of credit though, not for taking on the block but for getting up after he was squashed.

After I noticed that Lewis was ok, it was kind of comical because you could barely see Lewis underneath Brett. Half the defenders were mad at Brett for smashing Lewis and the other half were getting on to Lewis for not going around the block.

Brett definately looks like the real deal; good feet, good hands and strength..... it's just a matter of him learning the system.
letsgobows wrote:im assuming #7, lewis walker. since j taylor wears #7 as well.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

sorry, yes it was Walker.