Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
rbaloha
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

April 4 Saturday Practice Observations

Post by rbaloha »

- Overall team appears in better shape -- many lean muscle type athletes
- Coach Lee drills the receivers and qb exactly like JJ for the entire practice
- Alexander balls flutter on the outside throws. Lost weight.
- Small corners
- Coach Tormey explains and instructs well. Players tol me they like him. During 7-7 drills acted like the defensive coordinator. Appears other coaches were demoted in responsibilities but not titles. Great pickup.
- Physical safeties with size.
- Standout players - #21, #6, #5, #11, #3,, #84, #25, #80.
- Brashton and Kiesel-Kauhane are playing fast and loose. Brashton made a few interceptions. Lost weight. IMO a better tandem than Eliminiam and Leonard. More fluid and explosive.
- O-line starters: Kia, Hisatake, Estes, Ieru, Letuli.
- Coach Shaw changed hand placement by having lineman having their hands on their knees during presnap stance. Major problems with pad level being too high. Continually being reminded. The poor pad level resulted in a penetrating d-line.
- Several high school line coaches remarked to me the UH o-linemen are too narrow in their upper body which makes it too easy for d-linemen to go around them.
- Front 7 for the d: #90, #92, #49, #97, #59, #13, #36.
- Shane Austin has the best arm of the qbs.
- Pilares is the best offensive player. Bigger and stronger lower body. Playing with confidence and is looking to run over dudes.
- Billy Ray Stuzzman is smooth and fast. Has that bounce like fast black athletes. May contribute this season (already on the second team). Future big time player.

Kahaluu Imua Warriors
Starter
Starter

Re: April 4 Saturday Practice Observations

Post by Kahaluu Imua Warriors »

Mahalo for the report rbaloha but could you tell me of the out standing player numbers you mentioned was that offensive or defensive players?

Also I saw a #2 make a long play on the news. #2 is listed as Funaki but I think he is still #11, can someone confirm this?
www.southseascinema.org

Warriors! Come out and play-i-ay!
Warriors! Come out and play-i-ay!
The Ha'a is heard, louder and louder.
Okole is kicked.
Now the enemy runs home to cry to their mother.

krazychinaman
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Phillies
NBA: None
NFL: Patriots

Post by krazychinaman »

Kahaluu Imua Warriors wrote:Mahalo for the report rbaloha but could you tell me of the out standing player numbers you mentioned was that offensive or defensive players?

Also I saw a #2 make a long play on the news. #2 is listed as Funaki but I think he is still #11, can someone confirm this?
yes Funaki is #2...

jhb3043
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by jhb3043 »

rbaloha,

thanks for the report :) :thumbup:

krazychinaman
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Phillies
NBA: None

Post by krazychinaman »

O snap my bad i just sew the newspaper pic....Funaki is still wearing 11...

letsgobows
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets

Post by letsgobows »

krazychinaman wrote:
Kahaluu Imua Warriors wrote:Mahalo for the report rbaloha but could you tell me of the out standing player numbers you mentioned was that offensive or defensive players?

yes Funaki is #2...
#2 might have been SB Jon Medeiros.
college football=drama for men.
GO WARRIORS!

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

letsgobows wrote:
krazychinaman wrote:

yes Funaki is #2...
#2 might have been SB Jon Medeiros.
Funaki was wearing #11 on Saturday, after wearing #20 on Monday.
Jon Medeiros was wearing #2 on Saturday.
Meanwhile, Richard Torres was back to wearing #19 on Saturday.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

rbaloha wrote:- Standout players - #21, #6, #5, #11, #3,, #84, #25, #80.
#21 - SB Kealoha Pilares
#6 - SB Dustin Blount
#5 - WR Billy Ray Stutzmann
#11 - RB Inoke Funaki
#3 - WR Rodney Bradley
#84 - WR Joe Avery
#25 - WR Matt Kiel
#80 - WR Daniel Lofton
rbaloha wrote:- Front 7 for the d: #90, #92, #49, #97, #59, #13, #36.
#90 - DE Elliot Purcell
#92 - DT Rocky Savaiigaea
#49 - DT Tuika Tufaga
#97 - DE Alasi Toilolo

#59 - OLB RJ Kiesel-Kauhane
#13 - MLB Braston Satele
#36 - OLB Viliami Nauahi

I noticed that #95 DT Vaughn Meatoga & #58 DE Jon Fonoti worked early with 1st team D, then others were given reps with 1st team D.

letsgobows
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by letsgobows »

kapakahi, how did the RBs and safeties look? any standouts? thanks.
GO WARRIORS!

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by kapakahi »

letsgobows wrote:kapakahi, how did the RBs and safeties look? any standouts? thanks.
JMHO but no one really stood out among RBs. BUT then again...I really wasn't watching them too closely on Saturday.

As for safeties, hard to say...since it appeared that they were only going 3/4 speed...since no hitting aloud. If anything, Spencer Smith (#9) looks pretty comfortable out there and will be tough to beat out in the fall. You can just tell that Coach Tormey likes what he sees from Spencer....plays smart alignment and assignment-wise. Meanwhile, the other 1st team safety Mana Silva (#43) almost looks like a LB at his size. I can also see why JC newcomer Lametrius Davis (#4) is being given a look at safety since he looks to be the tallest and thickest built CB that the Warriors have. Just built-wise, Lametrius looks like a physical specimen....like an NFL CB might look like.

Forgot to mention earlier that redshirt frosh CB Lewis Walker (#7) looks like he might see the field this year. Real fluid , good balance, and flexible swivel hips...a natural cornerback...with some height too.

letsgobows
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by letsgobows »

nice thanks. good to see lewis walker might be a contributor for us.

i know mana silva is huge, i wonder if he is fast enough for SS. itll be interesting to see who emerges as the starting safeties in august. spencer smith, lametrius davis, aaron brown, mana silva, kenny estes...
GO WARRIORS!

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by kapakahi »

letsgobows wrote:nice thanks. good to see lewis walker might be a contributor for us.

i know mana silva is huge, i wonder if he is fast enough for SS. itll be interesting to see who emerges as the starting safeties in august. spencer smith, lametrius davis, aaron brown, mana silva, kenny estes...
Now that you mention it, Kenny Estes is another player who looks like he might see the field too.

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

Thanks for sharing your observations.

kalilix7
Play Maker
Play Maker
NBA: Lakers

Post by kalilix7 »

The suicides toward the end of practice which the offense faced one way and the defense faced the other way was won by Javonte for the offense and Mana Silva for the defense. I know it was not a straight out sprint but Mana showed a lot of heart. The team looked really good for an early spring practice.

I was really impressed with the safeties size and quickness: esp Smith, Silva, and Estes. I sure hate it for Navy and the other running teams that we will be facing this year.

I agreed with all of the other observations for Saturday, but one guy worth mentioning that I saw make some amazing plays was Huen. He took the field as third string Middle Linebacker which played against a rotating 1-3rd string offense.

On a particular running play he took on Ginlack as the pulling guard (knocked him back) and made the tackle on the running back solo with one hand, by placing the RB on the ground. On a passing play he dropped back and the ball was thrown in the flats to Medeiros, Jake ran over and tapped Medeiros to the ground.

I was very impressed with Bradley's after burners and Avery's hands. Stutzman (besides his build with his skinny legs) looked like he belonged out there.

I was very impressed with Coach Tormey, he definately keeps the players engaged. He even threw a defender off the field for what he called 3/4 speed.

I know we lost some quality players from our front defensive seven, but I saw some really good players that will answer the call.

letsgobows wrote:nice thanks. good to see lewis walker might be a contributor for us.

letsgobows
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by letsgobows »

kalilix7 wrote:The suicides toward the end of practice which the offense faced one way and the defense faced the other way was won by Javonte for the offense and Mana Silva for the defense. I know it was not a straight out sprint but Mana showed a lot of heart. The team looked really good for an early spring practice.

I was really impressed with the safeties size and quickness: esp Smith, Silva, and Estes. I sure hate it for Navy and the other running teams that we will be facing this year.

I agreed with all of the other observations for Saturday, but one guy worth mentioning that I saw make some amazing plays was Huen. He took the field as third string Middle Linebacker which played against a rotating 1-3rd string offense.

On a particular running play he took on Ginlack as the pulling guard (knocked him back) and made the tackle on the running back solo with one hand, by placing the RB on the ground. On a passing play he dropped back and the ball was thrown in the flats to Medeiros, Jake ran over and tapped Medeiros to the ground.

I was very impressed with Bradley's after burners and Avery's hands. Stutzman (besides his build with his skinny legs) looked like he belonged out there.

I was very impressed with Coach Tormey, he definately keeps the players engaged. He even threw a defender off the field for what he called 3/4 speed.

I know we lost some quality players from our front defensive seven, but I saw some really good players that will answer the call.

thanks for the report!
GO WARRIORS!