UH did offer Roman Sapolu a scholarship.

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
Sportsbow
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

UH did offer Roman Sapolu a scholarship.

Post by Sportsbow »

He committed to Oregon State but, he said that he will keep his options open.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

ROMAN SAPOLU Image C, 6-2, 250 lbs.
(Edison HS - Huntington Beach, CA)
(Offered Scholarship)
(Committed to Oregon State)

Rivals.com profile: http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/vi ... _key=95521

Rivals.com article: http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/co ... cid=923441
March 12, 2009

Sapolu discusses his commitment

Eric Machado
BeaverBlitz.com

In sports, there are bloodlines and then there are BLOODLINES. And Roman Sapolu, the 6'2", 250 lb offensive lineman out of Huntington Beach (CA) Edison definitely has the all caps version of the word.

Roman Sapolu is the first 2010 commitment for Oregon State
His dad, Jesse Sapolu, was an ironman in the NFL, spending his whole career with the San Francisco 49ers. He played in 182 games from 1983 to 1997, starting 154 games. In addition, the elder Sapolu collected 4 Super Bowl rings.

And now Roman is looking to carry on the torch of the family name in football. Last week he received his first college offer from Oregon State. Less than 12 hours later, he made a verbal commitment to become a Beaver.

"I was recruited by O-line coach Mike Cavanaugh," said Sapolu. "I'm real excited to learn from him."

Sapolu, who played right tackle last year, is moving to center on his high school team this year. He says that he'll likely end up at "either center or guard" at the next level.

And he's already preparing for next season. While he used to play volleyball, he stopped to focus strictly on football. His offseason workout program consists of lifting and running. In addition, he gets some extra special attention from a two time NFL pro-bowler.

"I go to a local community college everyday after school and work on techniques with my Dad," said Sapolu.

Even with the commitment, other schools are still after him. His Dad's alma mater, Hawaii, stepped into the ring earlier this week with an offer. ASU, UCLA, Colorado, UNLV and Washington State are other schools that have shown interest.

Sapolu will be headed to the Nike Camp at USC next month, where he is sure to attract even more attention.

While solidly committed to Oregon State, Sapolu is keeping his options open.

"I'll take different visits and look at my opportunities," said Sapolu of the interest.

One visit that is definitely on the agenda is a trip to Oregon State. Sapolu has yet to visit the Beaver campus, but has plans to do so during Mike Riley's annual football summer camp.

"I'm looking forward to coming up and visiting in June," said Sapolu.

Once in college, Sapolu plans to major in either Business or Finance.

"I'm good with numbers," said Sapolu.

Numbers and bloodlines...sounds like a good combination for a future college lineman.

blueblood
Pine rider
Pine rider

Re: UH did offer Roman Sapolu a scholarship.

Post by blueblood »

I'm real glad they did. your article was dated Marh 12th here's one dated March 10th...hmmm....no matter the kids got a offer.

blueblood wrote:Oregon State lands first 2010 commit

Tuesday, March 10, 2009 | Print Entry

Posted by Greg Biggins

Oregon State picked up its first commitment for the Class of 2010 from one of the Golden State's top offensive line prospects. Roman Sapolu (Huntington Beach, Calif./ Edison) was offered by the Beavers late last week and jumped on the offer.

Sapolu, 6-2, 250 pounds, is the son of former San Francisco 49er great Jesse Sapolu and will be a three year starter for the Chargers. He projects as a center at the next level and is one of the most athletic linemen in the state.

He plays with great technique, is physically strong, tough and is a high motor player who never takes a down off.

"I'm very excited about my decision," Sapolu said. "They offered me last Thursday and I decided to commit early because of my relationship with Coach Cavanaugh, the offensive line coach. He's not only a great coach but really connects well with the Polynesian players and I'm excited to play for him.

"I've never been to Oregon State before but I'm going to camp with them in June and I'm looking forward to seeing the campus and meeting all the coaches at that time."

Sapolu said his commitment to the Beavs is firm although he added he does still want to take his visits.

"I want to take my visits still but I'm very happy with my decision," Sapolu said. "I just don't want to close any doors. It's good to have this decision out of the way though. Now I don't have to worry about where I'll be going to college and I can just go enjoy my senior year and focus on school and football."

Oregon State was the first to offer Sapolu but he was also hearing from Alabama, UCLA, Washington State, San Diego State, UNLV, Colorado, and Utah.
The talented lineman will attend the NIKE Camp at USC in April.

uhwarrior23
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Braves
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Pats

Post by uhwarrior23 »

Awesome!

warriorfan808

Post by warriorfan808 »

Lets hope he wants to follow in his dad's foot steps. Coach Mac might be good with Polys, but Hawaii is a part Polynesia and he'll be representing his ethnicity and his father at the same time.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Roman,
Green and White is in your blood :D

lou909
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by lou909 »

damn!.... gotta fight with Cav on this one :evil: ... that'll be tough....

tangomike
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by tangomike »

we will see how good of a recruiter our new oline coach really is.

Flyin_Hayn
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Mariners,Yankees
NBA: Heat,Clippers,Nets
NFL: Raiders,Cowboys,SeaHawks

Post by Flyin_Hayn »

Damn, Hope he finds his way out to Hawai'i. But anyways good luck @ Beaver town. :lol:
"Bring 'em on," he said. Bring anybody on. Why would you want to play other people? If we want to be the best that we can be, then let's go play the best that we can play." - Norm Chow Hawai'i football head coach

The808Chef
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: LA Lakers
NFL: SF 49ers, Denver Broncos

Post by The808Chef »

lou909 wrote:damn!.... gotta fight with Cav on this one :evil: ... that'll be tough....
Word is Coach Gordy is a helluva recruiter and helluva OL coach so we'll see. Go get 'em Coach!
Often wrong...seldom in doubt!

thanohano44
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: baseball aint a sport.
NBA: Suns
NFL: Raiders

Post by thanohano44 »

a Sapolu wearing a Oregon State jersey...just doesnt sound right.