Stan Mckay

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
Waryor
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Stan Mckay

Post by Waryor »

mike washington also started as a true freshman.... but then he lost his starting job to rgm... or was it bess?

uhwarrior23
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Braves
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Pats

Post by uhwarrior23 »

Waryor wrote:mike washington also started as a true freshman.... but then he lost his starting job to rgm... or was it bess?
The coaches realized Mike was better suited at slot and moved him there his sophomore season and he was the #2 guy behind I think it was Bess.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

uhwarrior23 wrote:
Waryor wrote:mike washington also started as a true freshman.... but then he lost his starting job to rgm... or was it bess?
The coaches realized Mike was better suited at slot and moved him there his sophomore season and he was the #2 guy behind I think it was Bess.
Yep. Started out as wide receiver on the left side but was ineffective there. I think his size hurt him as a wide receiver.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

uhwarrior23
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by uhwarrior23 »

RedZone wrote:
uhwarrior23 wrote:
Yep. Started out as wide receiver on the left side but was ineffective there. I think his size hurt him as a wide receiver.
Yup. At first the coaches were real high on him and thought he would be a Justin Colbert type WR. It just didn't work out. It's too bad he didn't get more pt at slot before his senior season. He probably would have developed into a much better slot. He still had a solid senior season, though.

lava
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by lava »

I think Stan would be a huge get for us if he were to commit. He plays safety but can cover like a corner and hit more like a linebacker. He would give us great flexibility, and would be a nice answer for all those plays to the tight ends that seem to work so well against us.

I hope he knows just how good of a fit he would be for us. Because of his versatility, his presence would make a lot of the existing guys more effective.

uhwarrior23
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by uhwarrior23 »

lava wrote:I think Stan would be a huge get for us if he were to commit. He plays safety but can cover like a corner and hit more like a linebacker. He would give us great flexibility, and would be a nice answer for all those plays to the tight ends that seem to work so well against us.

I hope he knows just how good of a fit he would be for us. Because of his versatility, his presence would make a lot of the existing guys more effective.
+1
We already signed Aaron Brown and if we could land this dude, that would be sick. Our secondary would be set for the next two years w/ all the solid JC CB's we got commits from.

bowfan
Starter
Starter

Post by bowfan »

No surprise but looks like Mckay is going to commit to UCLA

http://www.insidesocal.com/ucla/2009/01 ... oming.html

Also looks like Polys coach told an ESPN reporter that Stan did commit to UCLA
Just talked to a Poly coach and he said Tepa is at Oregon. He also said Stan McKay just committed to UCLA so I'm trying to confirm. They must have scrapped the grey shirt idea.
http://myespn.go.com/s/conversations/show/story/3838996

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

Interesting that link mentions sighting of Kahuku safety & also UH prospect Aulola Tonga on-campus at UCLA this weekend for his recruiting trip. Let's hope that Aulola doesn't commit to UCLA after this weekend.

Although Aulola was originally supposed to visit UH next weekend, it looks like the U-Dub Huskies are now scheduled for next weekend instead. Hmmm...

http://hshawaii.scout.com/a.z?s=370&p=8&c=1&nid=3603563
Last edited by kapakahi on Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

UCLA must really be hurting if they are still recruiting at thisstage in the game and if they are cometing for us for the same athletes.

Normally a program like UCLA would either be done except for 2 or 3 highly sought after recruits.

It lloks like they have a lot to give or they have guys on hold as they wait for others to make a decision.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

TheDuke wrote:UCLA must really be hurting if they are still recruiting at this stage in the game and if they are cometing for us for the same athletes.

Normally a program like UCLA would either be done except for 2 or 3 highly sought after recruits.

It looks like they have a lot to give or they have guys on hold as they wait for others to make a decision.
I'm guessing that the departure of former defensive coordinator (and lead recruiter for So Cal area)...along with real tough academic entrance requirements...probably contributing to late recruiting by UCLA.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by kapakahi »

2k_Hawaii wrote:but i doubt we take Tonga and Mckay in this same class, one will have to grayshirt if they both really want to come here
From my own observations at a couple of Kahuku games as well as those of my Long Beach friends who regularly attend Poly games, Tonga and McKay are different types of safeties.

Tonga pretty much played free safety for Kahuku all last season, but could possibly eventually transition to strong safety or even outside linebacker. While Tonga got his share of picks, JMHO that he's more of a big hitter.

Meanwhile McKay played strong safety, but also lots of nickel and even corner for LB Poly all last season. My friends tell me that McKay is more of ball hawk and less of a hitter.

letsgobows
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets

Post by letsgobows »

tsai is reporting today that mckay is down to ucla and uh.
college football=drama for men.
GO WARRIORS!

pikachu
Starter
Starter
MLB: Angels
NFL: Raiders

Post by pikachu »

kapakahi wrote:
TheDuke wrote:UCLA must really be hurting if they are still recruiting at this stage in the game and if they are cometing for us for the same athletes.

It looks like they have a lot to give or they have guys on hold as they wait for others to make a decision.
I'm guessing that the departure of former defensive coordinator (and lead recruiter for So Cal area)...along with real tough academic entrance requirements...probably contributing to late recruiting by UCLA.
The staff got a late start on the 2009 class because they had to keep the 2008 class intact after Dorrell was fired.

It was expected that Walker would take a head coaching position this offseason, so when he took the NMSU job it was not a surprise and I'm sure the staff planned accordingly. What was surprising to me was the caliber of job being offered to Walker (NMSU, SDSU, Utah State).
"I'm coming back, I will return, and I'll possess your body and I'll make you burn; I have the fire, I have the force, I have the power to make my evil take its course" -- "Number of the Beast" Iron Maiden

Garret
Starter
Starter

Post by Garret »

pikachu wrote:What was surprising to me was the caliber of job being offered to Walker (NMSU, SDSU, Utah State).
Walker did not get an offer from SDSU. He came in second to Ball State's former coach.

Kainoa79
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Kainoa79 »

letsgobows wrote:tsai is reporting today that mckay is down to ucla and uh.
Is UCLA's offer to McKay to grayshirt still there or did UCLA pull it so McKay can play as a true fresh?