Check them out here:
http://www.sportshawaii.com/gallery2/ma ... emId=20625

NelsonO
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench
NFL: Dallas

Re: Photos from Spring Practice Apr. 12, 2008

Post by NelsonO »

The Hawaii defense dominated during Saturday’s scrimmage. I’m not sure if the Warrior defense is really good or the Warrior offense is really…(well, I won’t go there). To be fair to the offense, they are missing a couple of key linemen, like John Estes and Keith AhSoon. But the defensive pursuit was very good this morning.

Rocky Savaiigaea was injured during the two-on-two’s this morning. And the Savage was looking so good in spring practice. He was on crutches during the latter part of practice. Vaughn Meatoga was involved in a brief altercation during the two-on-two’s and he drew the ire of the coaches.

Somebody asked me today if Quentin Beaver can run. C’mon now…Beaver is pushing 350 pounds around.
He is a defensive tackle; not a deep-threat wide receiver. I’ll tell you this…When Beaver is in there, he commands a double-team.

The bad news is that safeties Le’Marcus Gibson, Erik Robinson, and Viliami Nauahi are all out with injuries. The good news is that newcomer Mana Silva has made the most of his opportunity. Silva was lining up with the second group today.

With left guard Keith AhSoon out with an injury, Brysen Ginlack was elevated to the first team. Daniel Johnson and Joey Lipp took turns at left guard with the second team.

With right wideout Malcolm Lane out with injury, Dylan Linkner was promoted. Royce Pollard moved up to second team.

Calvin Roberts, JoPierre Davis, and Ryan Mouton all had good days at cornerback today. They are all solid players. But I’m pulling for walk-on Richard Torres. He is about as small of a player that I have see out on the practice field. Torres plays with so much enthusiasm that you can’t help but cheer for him.

Nalani Choy of the singing group Na Leo was in attendance at today’s practice. Her son is trying out for the team. UH recruit Paipai Falemalu also observed practice.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: Atlanta Braves
NBA: Atlanta Hawks
NFL: San Diego Chargers

Post by Scott »

Thank you Chawan_Cut, I just finished watching it in slideshow mode. I really enjoyed it, and I was there today. Was great seeing and talking to Chawan_Cut, NelsonO, FlyinManatee, noteven, Kapakahi, uhwarriors, Bigwave96744 and DaveR. I took some video footage and will edit and upload it by tomorrow.
"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

Mahalo,
Scott
http://www.sportshawaii.com
"Hawaii's Fan Based Sports Page"

uhwarriors

Re: Spring Practice Apr. 12, 2008 Photos and Report

Post by uhwarriors »

Adding to NelsonO's great report:

Dowling is backing up Mouton at left CB. When a nickel defense was used, Mouton played the nickel and Dowling played the corner. Mouton picked Funaki playing the nickel and would have had a TD.

Lots of drops by receivers today. I think a lot of the less experienced receivers and new guys are doing a lot of "thinking" about their reads and route adjustments and are not relaxed and focused when catching the ball. Another issue is that passes aren't right on the money many times which makes catching a little harder.

The defense is ahead of the offense as they should be with more experienced players back and the offense learning the "tweaks". The first team offense had some good plays, but the backups struggled.

Best pass and catch of the day was a 15 yard seem route from Funaki to Washington out of trips right.

Best run of the day was Cox's 8 yard draw play when he spun out of a tackle, bounced outside and fought for yardage.

Pilares made a good leaping catch.

JP Davies had a good pick on an out route by Graunke and would have had a TD.

All plays during the scrimmage were from under center.

Austin Hansen was the center with the first group in place of Estes who is hurt.

chawan_cut
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by chawan_cut »

thanks for hosting my pictures!

Leila Wai has her practice video here:
http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/ ... DEONETWORK

the news youtube is currently uploading and i'll link it when its done.
Go Warriors! Go Na Wahine!

chawan_cut
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by chawan_cut »

chawan_cut
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by chawan_cut »

i liked this picture:
http://www.sportshawaii.com/gallery2/ma ... emId=20655
i call it: "What?!? Like challenge???" or "Stephen protects his Princess"

Last edited by chawan_cut on Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Did our favorite rock star give up his dream to be apart of the WWE after he graduates? I like the new look and when we saw him at practice, you can tell he worked hard in the off season. Great Job and Great Look!!!

Mahalo,
Scott

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

Thanks for the report an pics. Hope I can make it next Sat.
ImageImage

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

NelsonO wrote:Nalani Choy of the singing group Na Leo was in attendance at today’s practice. Her son is trying out for the team..
Nalani's son is Kahai Choy of Kamehemeha Class of 2008
He is walking on this fall :D

WA Warrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by WA Warrior »

Scott wrote:Did our favorite rock star give up his dream to be apart of the WWE after he graduates? I like the new look and when we saw him at practice, you can tell he worked hard in the off season. Great Job and Great Look!!!

Uh, I've been here at work since 4am (I normally start at 7am) and I'm a bit tired, but why is there torsos and heads sticking up out of the ground? Maybe after I go to sleep tonight and wake up tomorrow refreshed, they won't be there but I know they are there now. :hmm: #-o :banana:

Mahalos [*]Red Gun[/color] for the update!!!

chawan_cut
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by chawan_cut »

our practice fields are tiered. there's 2 of them. usually the football team practices on the upper field and the wahine soccer team is on the lower one. those guys were probably on the slope.

55warriorfan
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by 55warriorfan »

BigWave96744 wrote:
NelsonO wrote:Nalani Choy of the singing group Na Leo was in attendance at today’s practice. Her son is trying out for the team..
Thx NelsonO and BigWave96744. We enjoyed our first ever UH practice last Saturday. It was invigorating - Manoa in the morning! Should be a song.....We have been UH season tix holders since the 1988 season when my husband and I returned home from college on the mainland. I can't imagine anything better than my son staying home to play football where the whole family can watch.

Kahai is anxious to get out there and show the coaches what he has to contribute. He is working very hard in the weight room and has gained a lot of lean muscle mass. He now weighs 280 and his one rep max bench is 405. He's working hard on speed, quickness, and techinique as well. He will be playing Center.

The coaches have been terrific and I honestly believe that Coach Mac is going to take this program to even higher levels. JJ was the right man for the job at the time, but this is a new era and Coach Mac is going to win games and win the hearts of the entire state of Hawaii. Kahai was invited as a preferred walk on to Kansas (Jayhawks) and UNLV, with interest also from several other programs, but has always been a Warrior at heart.

I don't know many of the SH ohana by sight, but would like to meet you all. So please introduce yourselves next time I see you. :flower: We are planning to be there again next weekend.

Nalani Choy

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

55warriorfan wrote:
BigWave96744 wrote:
Thx NelsonO and BigWave96744. We enjoyed our first ever UH practice last Saturday. It was invigorating - Manoa in the morning! Should be a song.....We have been UH season tix holders since the 1988 season when my husband and I returned home from college on the mainland. I can't imagine anything better than my son staying home to play football where the whole family can watch.

Kahai is anxious to get out there and show the coaches what he has to contribute. He is working very hard in the weight room and has gained a lot of lean muscle mass. He now weighs 280 and his one rep max bench is 405. He's working hard on speed, quickness, and techinique as well. He will be playing Center.

The coaches have been terrific and I honestly believe that Coach Mac is going to take this program to even higher levels. JJ was the right man for the job at the time, but this is a new era and Coach Mac is going to win games and win the hearts of the entire state of Hawaii. Kahai was invited as a preferred walk on to Kansas (Jayhawks) and UNLV, with interest also from several other programs, but has always been a Warrior at heart.

I don't know many of the SH ohana by sight, but would like to meet you all. So please introduce yourselves next time I see you. :flower: We are planning to be there again next weekend.

Nalani Choy
Awe sorry we didn't get to meet on Saturday. Just remember to say hi if you see a geeky bald, headed overweight Japanese dude (with a Sports Hawaii shirt on) to say Hi! Looking forward to meeting more people next weekend!

Mahalo,
Scott

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

55warriorfan wrote:
BigWave96744 wrote:

Nalani Choy
Welcome. Hopefully I'll be out there this Sat. As long as its dry. :)
ImageImage