gambit_808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Mariners
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Raiders

*** Official Hula Bowl Thread ***

Post by gambit_808 »

I am saddened to hear that the Hula Bowl, once considered to be by some analysts as the "jewel" of college football-is in trouble.

There is talk that Aloha Stadium and goverment officials havent really been backing the Hula Bowl for years. Whats the real deal on all of this? I've been in Seattle for 8 years but still cheer the warriors/bows. For the first time I was unable to see my hawaii boys compete (lost contract with ESPN)! I hear they did well.

I mean its just respect for Hawaii to have events....and our boys get looked at.

So, how much can Hawaii be blamed for all this? Is this another sign that our gov. doest really put back in---what it gets out?

I mean they are showing the EAst/West Shrine game instead on ESPN. How much that does suck. Worst of all its in Houston....why does everything seem to go away to Texas?

Any thoughts?
Last edited by gambit_808 on Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PIAA DS
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Re: HULA BOWL: HOW MUCH CAN WE BE BLAMED?

Post by PIAA DS »

The Hula Bowl has only been at Aloha Stadium for a couple years (correct me if Im wrong, was this the 2nd year or 3rd?). The Hula Bowl has been in financial trouble for at least the last 7-8 years, if not more. I dont get it. It could be a prime time bowl game, the "jewel" as was stated. What college player wouldnt want to come and play in Hawaii, on National TV and have a vacation afterwards, a nice reward for all his hard work over the years. But my own opinion, based on everything I've read and heard over the last several years, is that even as it changed hands before moving to Oahu (three times that I recall, maybe four) it has never been managed well. Im wondering, it is just a tax write off for the owners year after year?

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

I watched the Hula Bowl, because the GB/Seattle game was a blow-out. How do you compete with NFL playoffs?

I remember the Hula Bowl being moved temporarily to Maui. It's long history was always on Oahu...where I grew up. East/West Shrine game...Blue/Gray...Senior...those were all pretty lame back in the day.

Actually, I think moving the game to Maui was a big mistake. Instead of focusing on marketing/promotion...they (the promoters) played the shell game. In the meantime the competition passed them by.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

I went and will be posting some pictures in a while..
Somethings from the game:
- I got in free (via KKEA tickets) but there was a bunch of guys (I think from the Prison Ministry) that was giving out vouchers for free tickets about 15 minutes before the game
- I paid $10 for an official program.. The front and back cover was glossy, but everything else in the inside was Black and White photocopies of what looked to be an official program. I don't know if I got ripped off or that's what everyone else go
- KKEA picked one dude (it wasn't me) to kick a 35 yard FG for $10,000.
BUT the dude had to bring his own holder (not tee or anything) and the ball was placed at the 36 yard line, thus making it a 46 yard attempt :o
- There was NO Halftime show
- The Endzones were closed. Only lower bowl sidelines were available and it there were no reserve seats. 90% of the crowd sat on the Makai Sideline. Most of those on the Mauka were JT Mapu Supporters who wore special Orange and White Tee shirts
- Many current warriors and a few former (Sam and Melila)

Again Pictures coming up shortly :wink:

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

The Kai QB sucked...
He was a dude from SDSU... JRiv and CJ were open so much and the passes were underthrown, overthrown or the guy just wanted to run....

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Hawaii guys on the Kai:
Jason Rivers, CJ Hawthorne, Hercules Satele, Michael Lafaele, Karl Noa, Amani Purcell, Jacob Patek, Myron Newberry

Also:
Brennan Carvalho (Portland St), Jordan Dizon (Colorado), Kolo Kapanui (West Texas A&M), Brandon Rodd (Arizona St), Shannon Tevaga (UCLA)

On the Aina Team:
JT Mapu (Tenn)

NOTE: Saw Ray Lewis at the Popcorn Booth
Jordan Dizon had the Katoosh of the Game
JT Mapu recovered a fumble
Myron Newberry missed an easy INT that resulted in a 50 yard pass.
Later in game he intercepted a pass in the endzone and returned it for 30 something yards
Lafaele was a force on the Dline

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

I think he scouts preferred the EW Shrine game. I don't know if its the travel distance. But if the scouts preferred that game, most of the better players will go there. Since the better players go there, we get the "leftovers." I used to go every year but I go to see many first round picks. I don't go anymore since if I want to see the better players, I've got to watch them on TV. Plus I'm not too big on all star games.
ImageImage

beegpk
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by beegpk »

if they could have got CB to play in the game --- they would have got 15,000

and imagine CB with Rivers/Hawthorne in a game where the D has no prep
with a little cooperation from the coach --- CB could have scored 6 touchdowns

2left
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by 2left »

The ESPN write-up makes it sounds like the Hula Bowl is dead, and just waiting for its coffin. I couldn't even watch it on TV here in L.A. A shame, because in the 70s-early 80s, this game was so much fun and so interesting. With the Hawaii Bowl and Hula Bowl, we really had the showcases for UH players wanting to impress the NFL Scouts.

"Once the jewel of college all-star games, with alumni including Dan Marino, Tony Dorsett, Mike Ditka and Fran Trakenton, the Hula Bowl this year appeared to be in trouble.

There were only a couple thousand fans in 50,000-seat Aloha Stadium. Some players complained about overcrowded hotel rooms. In the press box, there was no statistics crew, let alone a bowl representative.

It also was the first time in years the game was not televised by ESPN."

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

Times have changed a lot since the early days of the Hula Bowl, East West Shrine Game and the Senior Bowl. Those were the days when virtually no college games were on TV live or delayed. All-Star bowl games were the opportunity to see the All-American players and in many cases was the only time fans would get to see them. Live TV game coverage has increase exponentially since those days.

Another factor is that there were very few true Bowl games pitting teams against each other competing with the All-Star games. Over the years that has changed dramatically as fans prefer to see teams competing against each other rather than All-Star games. In fact Mackey Yanagasawa, the founder of the Hula Bowl started up the Aloha Bowl in 1982. Lenny and Marsha Klopmus eventually took over both the Hula Bowl and Aloha Bowl from Yanagasawa. They later started up the companion Oahu Bowl to be played on the same day as the Aloha Bowl.

Initially the All-Star games were just that, All-Star games and were not showcases for the pro scouts. The Hula Bowl was the preeminent game and reward for college players. The Senior Bowl started paying players and the some of the bigger name players started going there instead of to the Hula Bowl and East West Shrine Game. The Senior Bowl was also being run as "tryout" for the pro scouts. Also some big name players started skipping all of the games on the advice of their agents because of the risk of injuries. Other factors such as "once in a life time" trip to Hawaii became less of factor, since some teams were coming to Hawaii to play UH.

Attendence at the Hula Bowl really started to wane about 15 years ago with the proliferation of bowl games and the popularity of Senior Bowl for the players. No longer was the Hula Bowl the premiere All-Star game. Both the Hula Bowl and the East West Shrine game were losing players to the Senior Bowl and attendence was dropping fast as fans had lost interest in All-Star games. The Klompuses then made the decision to take the Hula Bowl to Maui as a last ditch effort to save the game 11 years ago in 1997. It did well for awhile but they sold it because they now had to run the Aloha Bowl and Oahu Bowl which was started in 1998. The East West Shrine game long played in the Bay Area has also been moved. It is now played Texas.

Attendence on Maui started to wane and the game was brought back to Aloha Stadium in 2006 where it has continued to struggle. Ownership of the Hula Bowl has changed at least three times since the Klopmpuses sold it, the last time in 2007.

Ulchiro5ga
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by Ulchiro5ga »

Back in the day, my Dad and I use to go to the Hula Bowl every year. It was on ABC then. Big half time show... always had the Heisman winner and the premier all-stars. However, once the Senior Bowl got affiliated with the NFL, it was the beginning of the end... The Senior Bowl is sponsored by the NFL with NFL coaches on the sidelines. So more of the premier players go there. I think they get paid a stipend (i.e., money talks). Also more and more of the players are skipping the all-star games to avoid injury and just prepare for the NFL combine.

Because of the competition for players, the Hula Bowl owners have been desperate to find a format... I think for one year they went back to the format of college all-stars vs Hawaii all-stars (for awhile they weren't accreddited, so NCAA coaches couldn't or wouldn't coach and they had retired coaches). Then there was a dispute with the new owners and the Klompuses about two or three years ago. I forget the details... I think it's when they moved the game back from Maui to Oahu.

I think the current owners also have had a hard time finding a title sponsor so they have limited amount of capital to spend. Remember Hooters was going to be the sponsor one year? Now its the Banc card?

BigWave96744

Re: *** Official Hula Bowl Thread ***

Post by BigWave96744 »

Makai Sideline

Mauka Sideline

#36 Jacob Patek, #12 Karl Noa, and the Kai Players

#42 Jordan Dizon (Colorado), #59 Amani Purcell, #68 Michael Lafaele

#36 Jacob Patek and other Kai Players

#68 Michael Lafaele and other Kai Players

#59 Amani Purcell, #68 Michael Lafaele, #38 Myron Newberry

#59 Amani Purcell and other Kai Players

Myron Newberry

#42 Jordan Dizon (Colorado), #84 Jason Rivers, #59 Amani Purcell,
and #68 Michael Lafaele congratulate Myron Newberry after his Interception

Kai Players including Jordan Dizon, Jacob Patek, & Michael Lafaele

Kai DE Amani Purcell

Kai's WR JRiv

Aina's DLine was led by Tennesee DT (JT Mapu) and Georgia's DE Marcus Howard

Nebraska WR Maurice Purify's Grandmother
Note she makes every one of his road games
Whenever he scores a TD he points into the stands, toward Grandma

Family and Friends of JT Mapu

Samson Satele and Family

Warrior Braddahs

A prayer to end the 2008 Hula Bowl
Good luck to all in the NFL Draft

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

One thing I don't like about Fball All-Star games is you cannot attempt to block the kicks....
It's not like punters and kickers get hurt too often...
And it also elimates the chance or running a fake....

Beowulf213
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Beowulf213 »

Enjoyed the pictures. Thanks!

WA Warrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by WA Warrior »

Great photos, thanks for the post. Always good to see Aloha stadium regardless of the event, it's one of those places that gets me homesick.

Mahalos [*]Red Gun[/color] for the update!!!