Navy pulls a "Keep TC off the field" type of drive

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
Sportsbow
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Navy pulls a "Keep TC off the field" type of drive

Post by Sportsbow »

Paul Johnson's offense had a 26 play, 94 yard drive that ate up 14:26 off the clock before settling for a field goal. WOW! :o

Final score: Navy 34, New Mexico 19.

robz04
High-quality H20 provider

Post by robz04 »

Wow is right! How can you practically hold the ball for a whole quarter?! Isn't there something that says eventually the ball will be given to the other team with some time on the clock? That is a really long time to hold the ball. Guess his defense was really rested... and lead to giving up only 19 points. Amazing!

WA Warrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by WA Warrior »

Yeah, it sure would have kept TC, TO, and company off of the field but the UH offense in the last four games would have scored a TD in about 16 seconds and then a tired UH defense would be back out on the field for another gut wrenching 14 1/2 minutes. Navy would have to score more than field goals to keep up with UH though..regardless much respect to Navy and their year! The Commander in Chief trophy and a ten win season!

Mahalos [*]Red Gun[/color] for the update!!!

rodfather
All-American
All-American

Post by rodfather »

I kinda miss Paul Johnson's spread option. Talk about playing keep away. I really would like to see Navy come down here and play UH. That would be the ultimate run vs. pass game. Also, it would fill up the stands due to the military presence here and also reunite some old UH coaches.

Also, does anybody remember Paul Johnson's STACK ATTACK? You know the one where they line up three WRS in a vertical line (stack) on one side and just run these crazy passing plays from that formation. Heck I even think they ran a trick play like a double pass from that formation, in which the QB lateraled to the bottom receiver and he threw a pass. If Coach Jones ever wanted to throw a new wrinkle in his offense, this package would be it.

Sportsbow
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Sportsbow »

rodzilla wrote:I kinda miss Paul Johnson's spread option. Talk about playing keep away. I really would like to see Navy come down here and play UH. That would be the ultimate run vs. pass game. Also, it would fill up the stands due to the military presence here and also reunite some old UH coaches.

Also, does anybody remember Paul Johnson's STACK ATTACK? You know the one where they line up three WRS in a vertical line (stack) on one side and just run these crazy passing plays from that formation. Heck I even think they ran a trick play like a double pass from that formation, in which the QB lateraled to the bottom receiver and he threw a pass. If Coach Jones ever wanted to throw a new wrinkle in his offense, this package would be it.
The problem with a run oriented offense is that, if Navy was to get behind by 3 TD like UH did against Michigan State, there's no way that they will come from behind like UH offense did. I'll take the run-and-shoot anytime. Just need a defense to go with that.

uhwarriors_17

Post by uhwarriors_17 »

rodzilla wrote: Also, does anybody remember Paul Johnson's STACK ATTACK? You know the one where they line up three WRS in a vertical line (stack) on one side and just run these crazy passing plays from that formation. Heck I even think they ran a trick play like a double pass from that formation, in which the QB lateraled to the bottom receiver and he threw a pass. If Coach Jones ever wanted to throw a new wrinkle in his offense, this package would be it.
wow i do remember that.. that was so cool man... yes that would be cool in the current offense
GO WARRIORS!!

Congrats Timmy Chang NCAA all time career passing leader!

warriorfan808

Post by warriorfan808 »

actually, it wouldn't have worked on us. They would have scored in less than 3 minutes.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: Atlanta Braves
NBA: Atlanta Hawks
NFL: San Diego Chargers

Re: .............

Post by Scott »

warriorfan808 wrote:actually, it wouldn't have worked on us. They would have scored in less than 3 minutes.
*chuckles*
"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

Mahalo,
Scott
http://www.sportshawaii.com
"Hawaii's Fan Based Sports Page"

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: Atlanta Braves
NBA: Atlanta Hawks
NFL: San Diego Chargers

Post by Scott »

rodzilla wrote:I kinda miss Paul Johnson's spread option. Talk about playing keep away. I really would like to see Navy come down here and play UH. That would be the ultimate run vs. pass game. Also, it would fill up the stands due to the military presence here and also reunite some old UH coaches.

I think JJ did a similiar set a 3-4 years back, I could be mistaken. Where he threw a quick outlet pass to the last guy in the stack. Let's see if anyone else can remember.

I miss paul Johnson too, he was a great guy and had a very creative offense. It really utilized smaller quicker linemen and spread the field horizontally instead of vertically. I think his offensive scheme wouldn't be able to recruit as well as JJ's though.
"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

Mahalo,
Scott
http://www.sportshawaii.com
"Hawaii's Fan Based Sports Page"

BigWave96744

Coach of the year

Post by BigWave96744 »

During the Miami-Florida game's halftime show, it was announced that Paul Johnson was Coach of the Year.. \:D/