Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: Atlanta Braves
NBA: Atlanta Hawks
NFL: San Diego Chargers

a UAB grievance

Post by Scott »

I thought this was pretty funny. hehe I wonder if he's going to talk about the un-sportsman like trash talking that goes on between the offense and defensive linemen? Talk about sheltered.
I'm pretty sure that this is supposed to be a defensive penalty, and it obviously contributed to some of UAB's false starts. I'm not saying this was a factor in the outcome - but it's an example of Hawaii's tactics.

I thought this is what some OL's and Hackney were complaining about to officials during the game - and now at least one Hawaii player confesses to it. This is from a newspaper article linked on the Sheraton Hawaii Bowl's official site:

"Hackney also complained that UH's defensive linemen were trying to interrupt his audibles.

"'It bothered me a couple of times,' Hackney said. 'I know when our players get frustrated and mad, they lose their focus.'

"UH defensive tackle Lui Fuga admitted he was able to impersonate Hackney.

"'You saw how they jumped off sides on my count,' Fuga said. 'I can imitate him. But that wasn't the difference. We beat them up front. We were faster than them up front.'"
"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

Mahalo,
Scott
http://www.sportshawaii.com
"Hawaii's Fan Based Sports Page"

H20
MLB: Not a big fan of MLB.
NBA: Celtics
NFL: Falcons

Post by H20 »

:lol: You go Lui! The D must have been ROLLING in the huddles after false starts.

MisterPurple
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by MisterPurple »

Actually, you CAN get flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct for imitating the QB's signals. If I recall correctly, UH had a penalty called in their favor (that is, against the opponent) once this year, but I don't remember which team they were playing.

For better or worse, this penalty is called only very rarely. Though I'm not on the field to take a survey, I understand that it is a fairly common practice. It's one of those things teams just learn to play though and hope that an official decides to penalize the defense for it.

At least with this game, the crew was neutral (PAC-10, if I am correct), so it can't be argued that the officials had a conference preference.

BigWave96744

heh heh

Post by BigWave96744 »

"UH defensive tackle Lui Fuga admitted he was able to impersonate Hackney."
I didn't know Hackney spoke SAMOAN \:D/

warriorfan808

Re: heh heh

Post by warriorfan808 »

BigWave96744 wrote:
"UH defensive tackle Lui Fuga admitted he was able to impersonate Hackney."
I didn't know Hackney spoke SAMOAN \:D/
Hackney is as close to being Samoan as they come.

localboy18
Pine rider
Pine rider

signal calling

Post by localboy18 »

Philadelphia got penalized last night calling out signals when the Rams had the ball. it was 15 yarder. Luckilly - Lui didn't get caught!