June back to NFL?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
Kobayashi
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Kobayashi »

Ldub20 wrote:Why even pay big money for a decent coach at Hawaii? Hawaii will never be a big-time program so just pay an average salary to an average coach. Why overpay to beat teams like San Jose and get blown out on the road? Just be average and their won't be high expecations b/c you get what you pay for. Hawaii has no money to upgrade facilities or to build a new stadium so it will always be a small time college program. Just get another Bob Wagner, he came at decent price and could beat San Jose as well!
What a pessimistic attitude...

Ldub20
All-American
All-American

Re: jj leaving

Post by Ldub20 »

Kobayashi wrote:
silent assassin wrote:good ridance june jones.
he can take his $800,000., free private education for his kids, free cars, black point home (he sold that?) and go back to being an average coach at best in the NFL.

No defense, embarrasing blowout losses on national TV to FSU and Boise, losing to FAU. . . should not happen in his 4th year (or is it his 5th?). In fact, if he didn't have coach Cav, he'd have been lucky to have won 5 games this year. . . no one would have protected TC.

I agree with Ldub. We'd have to still pay big money for a decent coach, but i'm sick of JJ's whining as well. . .

800,000.... That's chump change in comparison to SEC coaches.
On a national scale JJ's salary is average, but that's if you compare him to the top coaches in college football and most of them are in BCS leagues. June Jones isn't even considered a top coach in college footbal. If he's making the highest salary in the wiggity WAC, shouldn't Hawaii be always winning it's own weak conference that gets laughed at on a national scale. But, Hawaii can't even do that. How many times has Hawaii won the WAC since JJ been here in 6 years? ONCE! 1 out of 6 times! How many times has Hawaii been ranked in the TOP25 in 6 years? Once or twice for like 1 week! Pretty sad! Maybe, you don't always get what you pay for like when you buy a coach like June Jones!

Ldub20
All-American
All-American

Post by Ldub20 »

Kobayashi wrote:
Ldub20 wrote:Why even pay big money for a decent coach at Hawaii? Hawaii will never be a big-time program so just pay an average salary to an average coach. Why overpay to beat teams like San Jose and get blown out on the road? Just be average and their won't be high expecations b/c you get what you pay for. Hawaii has no money to upgrade facilities or to build a new stadium so it will always be a small time college program. Just get another Bob Wagner, he came at decent price and could beat San Jose as well!
What a pessimistic attitude...
Pessimistic maybe, but definitley true! Why overpay for an Hyundai or a Honda civic coach like June Jones? If you pay big dollars and buy a mercedes, you expect a mercedes not a frickin Hyundai!

Hawaii is paying June Jones like what you would pay for a designer brand name products. It only costs a few cents to make, but he's charging you $800,000 for his name which isn't worth the price of admission! Ldub will dress for less and shop at Ross's!

warriorfan808

Post by warriorfan808 »

Hawaii isn't paying June Jones 800,000, half of that money is coming from private donars. We should stop acting like we're ponying up close to a mil when we are actually only paying a midmajor price.

I have have expectations too when it comes to how the team performed, but you all have to admit that Hawaii was hurting since the first game. Our shortfall this season was having 0 depth on the Dline. If we had a half way decent defense, we would have easily put up a 9-3 record. Possibly better. Remember, Fresno was able to tear us up by running up the gut.

If we had a halfway decent Dline at the time( I believe we were even missing Kamakawiweole), we could have changed things dramatically. The weak D didn't account for one play, but every play. If you can change the aspect of every play, then things will be totally different.

Ldub20
All-American
All-American

Re: ...............

Post by Ldub20 »

warriorfan808 wrote:Hawaii isn't paying June Jones 800,000, half of that money is coming from private donars. We should stop acting like we're ponying up close to a mil when we are actually only paying a midmajor price.

I have have expectations too when it comes to how the team performed, but you all have to admit that Hawaii was hurting since the first game. Our shortfall this season was having 0 depth on the Dline. If we had a half way decent defense, we would have easily put up a 9-3 record. Possibly better. Remember, Fresno was able to tear us up by running up the gut.

If we had a halfway decent Dline at the time( I believe we were even missing Kamakawiweole), we could have changed things dramatically. The weak D didn't account for one play, but every play. If you can
change the aspect of every play, then things will be totally different.
$400,000(Hawaii pays)+$400,000(private donors)=$800,000
Either way you added up June Jones is paid $800,000 not $400,000!
He's the highest paid coach in the a weak WAC, but has only won the conference once in six years!

warriorfan808

Post by warriorfan808 »

Ldub20 wrote:
warriorfan808 wrote:Hawaii isn't paying June Jones 800,000, half of that money is coming from private donars. We should stop acting like we're ponying up close to a mil when we are actually only paying a midmajor price.

If we had a halfway decent Dline at the time( I believe we were even missing Kamakawiweole), we could have changed things dramatically. The weak D didn't account for one play, but every play. If you can change the aspect of every play, then things will be totally different.
Exactly, but we don't pay him 800,000. Hawaii only puts up half of that and privae donations forks over the rest. My point is that we can't act like we have 800,000 to spend, when we really don't. Who's to say that the private donors will put up the other half? Jones gets paid 800,000, but Hawaii only pays him 400,000.

Ldub20
All-American
All-American

Post by Ldub20 »

warriorfan808 wrote:
Ldub20 wrote:

Exactly, but we don't pay him 800,000. Hawaii only puts up half of that and privae donations forks over the rest. My point is that we can't act like we have 800,000 to spend, when we really don't. Who's to say that the private donors will put up the other half? Jones gets paid 800,000, but Hawaii only pays him 400,000.
How much goes into JJ's pocket? $800,000! not $400,000! It doesn't matter where or how he's getting paid. He's getting paid $800,000/year!

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Grinch »

My only comments:
1) We're exponentially better off with JJ than we were with Von Apple.
2) If JJ is getting paid $800,000 per year (from where ever he's getting all of it), he really should hire a d-coordinator AND put together a better recruiting program.
3) If anyone should be saying - "show me the money" - it's Coach Cav.
4) While JJ is one arrogant son-of-a %@#*! - I wonder what Florida or Florida St. would be like offensively in JJ's system. With their athletes and speed, it would probably be something.
(But, since JJ don't take defense seriously, BCS schools probably wouldn't hire him as a head coach, and JJ is too arrogant to take an offensive coordinator position.

warriorfan808

Post by warriorfan808 »

Ldub20 wrote:
warriorfan808 wrote:
Ldub20 wrote: $400,000(Hawaii pays)+$400,000(private donors)=$800,000
How much goes into JJ's pocket? $800,000! not $400,000! It doesn't matter where or how he's getting paid. He's getting paid $800,000/year!
Jones gets paid 800,000, but Hawaii only pays him 400,000.

Ldub20
All-American
All-American

Post by Ldub20 »

Does it matter who or where your paycheck comes from? As long as your paid what your owed you could care less who pays it!

Yes, the state pays JJ $400,000 and the other half comes from private donors. When you add up both ends, JJ is getting paid $800,000. You think JJ cares where the money comes from. All he knows and cares is that $800,000 is going in his pocket. JJ's annual salary is $800,000! If someone asks JJ how much does Hawaii pay you? You think JJ will say,"Oh, I make $400,000 from the state and $400,000 from donors." No, he's say,"I'm making $800,000/year."

Ldub20
All-American
All-American

Post by Ldub20 »

Islander wrote:My only comments:
1) We're exponentially better off with JJ than we were with Von Apple.
2) If JJ is getting paid $800,000 per year (from where ever he's getting all of it), he really should hire a d-coordinator AND put together a better recruiting program.
3) If anyone should be saying - "show me the money" - it's Coach Cav.
4) While JJ is one arrogant son-of-a %@#*! - I wonder what Florida or Florida St. would be like offensively in JJ's system. With their athletes and speed, it would probably be something.
(But, since JJ don't take defense seriously, BCS schools probably wouldn't hire him as a head coach, and JJ is too arrogant to take an offensive coordinator position.
Yes, Von Oppen stinks more than JJ. My point is that Hawaii will never be a BCS contender or be a Florida or Florida St. b/c Hawaii has no money to compete w/ those schools so why no just save money and be average. Blue- Chippers will never come to Hawaii(Ldub finally realized :( ) so no matter how much you pay a coach, if you don't have the talent it doen't matter who's coaching b/c you'll still stink. If Hawaii wants to be what JJ was brought here to do, Hawaii needs funds and more financial support or you can just waste more money on a coach, but you'll still end up w/ the same product. At least Boise was smart, they got a bargain for Dan Hawkins! Bottomline, JJ is the highest paid coach in the weak WAC, but Hawaii has only 1 championship in 6 years under JJ!

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Grinch »

Yeah, point well-taken.
I may be wishing for way too much, but there gotta be a way to raise some funds. With the high-paid head coach and athletic director, shouldn't they figure out a way to raise the money?
If not, mo bettah we hire the Ohio St. staff :o (lol)

AreaCode808
All-American
All-American

bottom line

Post by AreaCode808 »

for $800K/year, we should've had a few more Ws this season :roll: :roll:

too much gambling by JJ. gawd can't belive he wanted to pass when chang ran for that TD against Mich. St. :o

i like what JJ has done for the program but damn after the Florida Atl. game, i was left wondering if the season was gonna be all about TC breaking the record & not about winning as much as we can...

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Grinch »

I think we all thought that the Portland St. loss would be the last to a small-conference team. Losing on the road to Fresno St. and Boise St. is one thing. Losing to Florida Atl at home is something else. I don't know which was more embarrasing.

Ldub20
All-American
All-American

Post by Ldub20 »

Islander wrote:Yeah, point well-taken.
I may be wishing for way too much, but there gotta be a way to raise some funds. With the high-paid head coach and athletic director, shouldn't they figure out a way to raise the money?
If not, mo bettah we hire the Ohio St. staff :o (lol)
Exactly, maybe JJ is doing the best he can w/ the limited resources and funds Hawaii is giving him. Who knows? But, Hawaii needs to get more financial support period or it doesn't matter how much the coach is paid or how good he is.

Ldub mentioned that one positive JJ has done since he's been here is more ex-warriors are in NFL. But, damn have these guys ever thought to give back to the coach and university that helped you along the way. You see it at all other schools. Players give back! You don't have to give millions, but a few grand from each player will go along way to improving facilties to attract top recruits. Damn! There's no rich, wealthy white guy that went to UH and can give a few million.