What I like to see JJ do when UH is in a shotgun-formation.

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
Sportsbow
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

What I like to see JJ do when UH is in a shotgun-formation.

Post by Sportsbow »

I like JJ to tell TC to at least fake his hand-off to the running back everytime before going back to pass unless it's a quick pass. The reason for this is that, I noticed when TC do hand-off, the opponent linebacker's comes in right away without hesitation because they can see him making the hand-off. By faking it everytime, it will freeze their linebacker's for a split-second, just enough for our receivers to get a little more separation from their defenders. A split-second of hesitation is worth an extra step for our receivers and more room for our running backs to run.

warriorfan808

Post by warriorfan808 »

I've always thought that Timmy's hand offs were ugly. If he can't do it well in the first place, I'd hate to see him trying to fake it. Instead of the running back trying to fake the run, I'd rather have him sitting back and looking to make blocks.

Sportsbow
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: ......................

Post by Sportsbow »

warriorfan808 wrote:I've always thought that Timmy's hand offs were ugly. If he can't do it well in the first place, I'd hate to see him trying to fake it. Instead of the running back trying to fake the run, I'd rather have him sitting back and looking to make blocks.
UH runningbacks usually take a step forward and don't start running with the ball until he have the ball in his tummy. It's a pretty safe hand-off. (UH runs is like a draw play.). So if he's not getting the ball, he still in position to block for incoming blitzes. TC don't really have to stick the ball in the runningback's tummy. All he have to do is make it look like he's going to hand it off.

WR UNIVERSITY
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by WR UNIVERSITY »

What I liked was the 5 receiver set that UH had agianst NU...I thought that was the poop

opihi
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by opihi »

exactly! play action seems to be en vogue right now. granted we may not have offenses like Indy or SD right now, but it couldn't hurt to have a new wrinkle in the RNS could it? we do run well, just not often enough.

uhwarriors_17
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by uhwarriors_17 »

i also never see Hawaii's QB's do pump fakes... db's just jump right when timmy makes a throwing motion... why not throw a little pump short and go deep?
GO WARRIORS!!

Congrats Timmy Chang NCAA all time career passing leader!

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

Over the last several years I've gone to the Na Koa lunches and seen Coach Jones and Coach Morrison breakdown game film. It is fascinating stuff.

Based on my limited knowledge of what they are doing, I don't believe the benefit of making fake handoffs on every play outweighs the costs. In about 3 seconds, the QB makes so many reads and decisions on the go that he would not be able to do everything he is supposed to do while carrying out fakes. A key component of Hawaii's offense is that pass routes are sight adjusted during the play. In otherwords both the QB and receivers must read the coverage as the play develops with the receivers changing their routes as they read how the defense is playing. It is mind boggling the number of things QB needs to see while under pressure before he decides where to go with the ball.

With that said however, everything that is being suggested is in the playbooks and has been used.