Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
Maui_Warrior
All-American
All-American

Some NFL scouting words......

Post by Maui_Warrior »

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/feature/f ... nfldraft05

Scouts: Chang is undersized, inconsistent
Hawaii QB Timmy Chang is just as overrated as an NFL draft prospect as he is a college football player.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1913731
"Hawaii QB Timmy Chang is just as overrated an NFL draft prospect as he is a college football player. Some publications rate Chang as high as a third round pick. That's ridiculous. It is telling that Chang broke the NCAA Division I-A career interceptions record, before he did the passing record.

Chang has good arm strength, a quick release and above average mobility. He is capable of getting into a rhythm and spreading the ball around in a wide-open scheme. However, he is undersized and extremely inconsistent as a passer."

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Grinch »

Both TC and Rolo I couldn't do any worse than the qbs for San Fran, Miami, and maybe even the Rams this year. :o :lol:

Maui_Warrior
All-American
All-American

Post by Maui_Warrior »

I think Chang would excel in the Rams offense or maybe a Raiders passing game..... Wide open, short quick passing.....

anthoang
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by anthoang »

Ryan Leaf is 6'5"
Drew Brees is 5'11"

both play(ed) for San Diego

NFL scouts would pick Leaf over Brees..... that's all i need say.

WA Warrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by WA Warrior »

I like your point. Unfortunately that point will be lost in the NFL Draft as Coaches, Presidents, and all others in the decision-making process will not even mention that and still view TC as their scouts portray him. But yes, I would have Brees a million times over knuckleheaded Leaf.

Mahalos [*]Red Gun[/color] for the update!!!

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: Buffalo Bills

Post by wyokie »

WA Warrior wrote:I like your point. Unfortunately that point will be lost in the NFL Draft as Coaches, Presidents, and all others in the decision-making process will not even mention that and still view TC as their scouts portray him. But yes, I would have Brees a million times over knuckleheaded Leaf.
What blows my mind is how in the Wide World of Sports San Diego could've rated Leaf higher than Peyton Manning just before the draft that sent Leaf to the Chargers and Manning to the Colts?!! :-? :o :-?

jkk808
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by jkk808 »

The Colts drafted Peyton Manning number 1 overall.

The Chargers moved up to the second spot, not caring which of the two franchise-rated qb's they got.

Turns out they got the shaft as there was only one franchise QB in the draft.

I think Timmy is gonna be a good pro-qb in a west-coast style system. He doesn't have the greatest deep arm yet, but he's improving. What I love is his feel, touch, ability to slide in the pocket, the quick release, I think he'll be a good pick up in the mid-to-late rounds of the draft. His feet and release will seperate him from Rolo I and make him a better pro-prospect.

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: Buffalo Bills

Post by wyokie »

jkk808 wrote:The Colts drafted Peyton Manning number 1 overall.

The Chargers moved up to the second spot, not caring which of the two franchise-rated qb's they got.

Turns out they got the shaft as there was only one franchise QB in the draft.
Didn't San Diego give up two 1st round picks to Arizona to get him (Leaf)? If so, it's another "what the hell were they thinking?" type trade which ranks up there with the two Ricky Williams trades (NO-Wash trade then, NO-Miami) and the immortal Hershel Walker trade between Minnesota and Dallas in 1990 - or was it 1989?

CityOfWalrus
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by CityOfWalrus »

I want this:

with their 3rd round selection the kansas city chiefs select: from the university of hawaii, quarterback Tim Chang, then 2 more years, trent green is playing gets hurt in the 4th week and Chang steps in and never looks back.

Id love to see chang in: St. Louis, Kansas City, Green bay with the help of Favre(even though I HATE GREEN BAY).

Marion and brady were late round picks and well Chang will be a mid round pick and become a 2nd generation Brady believe me.

anthoang
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by anthoang »

CityOfWalrus wrote:I want this:

with their 3rd round selection the kansas city chiefs select: from the university of hawaii, quarterback Tim Chang, then 2 more years, trent green is playing gets hurt in the 4th week and Chang steps in and never looks back.

Id love to see chang in: St. Louis, Kansas City, Green bay with the help of Favre(even though I HATE GREEN BAY).

Marion and brady were late round picks and well Chang will be a mid round pick and become a 2nd generation Brady believe me.
I'm predicting that Chang will go to SF 49ers and join Sopoaga. SF needs some QBs... even quality backup QBs are needed. they use the West Coast offense... and with the huge asian population here, ticket sales will go up!

btw, 49ers are my least favorite team... but this is what i'm predicting. i'll go to the games if Chang is drafted.

and PLEASE NOT Green Bay... we all know how hawaiians perform in cold-weather games.

robz04
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by robz04 »

Question is can Timmy play under center? He's worked from the shotgun almost his entire college career right? Rarely is he under center. And as for his above average mobility... I don't know about that. He's not the best running QB. I don't know if he can play in the NFL... although Brady was a guy that wasn't expected to play either. And Brett Favre wouldn't have been anything if he was still in Atlanta... and Steve Young in Tampa Bay... and Philip Rivers was picked up to replace a crappy QB that couldn't play anymore in San Diego, but is lighting up the NFL right now (Drew Brees)... so who really knows what will happen with Timmy?

SM96753
All-conference
All-conference

The combines

Post by SM96753 »

The Boise and Frenso St. games really lowered the sports world media's opinions of Chang. Former Crusader quarterback Timmy Chang really needs to do well at the NFL combines in order to increase his stock value.

Many scouts will be critical of Chang because of the system he comes from as they were with Ware and Klingler. It will be difficult because he'll always have that "run n' shoot" stigma.

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Post by ubercow »

here's the full report on timmy for those w/o insider.

Hawaii QB Timmy Chang is just as overrated an NFL draft prospect as he is a college football player. Some publications rate Chang as high as a third-round pick. That's ridiculous. It is telling that Chang broke the NCAA Division I-A career interception record, before he did the passing record.

Chang has good arm strength, a quick release and above average mobility. He is capable of getting into a rhythm and spreading the ball around in a wide-open scheme. However, he is undersized and extremely inconsistent as a passer.

Chang also doesn't understand the concept of protecting the football. Last season, he forced throws into coverage so often he was benched a couple of times in favor of Jason Wheilden.

In my opinion, Chang isn't worth drafting before the sixth round. His only fit will be on a team that utilizes a West Coast scheme and has the time to develop a guy with almost zero experience taking snaps under center.

WA Warrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by WA Warrior »

I agree that Chang will need a lot of time to adjust to playing under center, heck he played in a run-n-shoot formation in high school. I think someone will give Timmy a chance and he'll study like hell to do his best and he will make Hawai'i proud! With every QB given a label like "the next Montana or Elway" it will be good for Timmy to go to the NFL with very little or no expectations and give him a chance to hunker down and just show what type of QB he really is. Regardless of his outcome in the pros, I for one (despite my critisism of him) am glad that the local boy stayed local!!!

Mahalos [*]Red Gun[/color] for the update!!!

jkk808
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by jkk808 »

I don't buy that TC is gonna have a hard time earning to come out from under center. I agree that it's a little bit of a different deal considering he's spent a lot of time in the shotgun.

But Ware and Klinger both actually played from under center, because back then the run and shoot operated w/o the shotgun.

Ware actually played in the run and shoot or silver streak offense in Detroit and struggled for a variety of reasons unrelated to his ability to come out from under center.

Klinger's problem had less to do with his ability to master the five and seven step drop, and more to do with being drafted by friggin Cincinnati where more than a few QB careers have gone to die. (Akili Smith anyone?)

I think TC will come out and shine at the Senior Bowl and the NFL combine. His height isn't an issue, he's way taller than Drew Brees for example...I think the only legitimate concern is his health history. Heck I'm worried about him being healthy now, with that left shoulder injury.

Solid late first, early second day pick, for any NFL team looking for a QB for the future.